Official OPPO BDP-105D Owner's Thread - Page 24 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #691 of 804 Old 07-27-2014, 07:10 AM
Member
 
jake9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Tucson
Posts: 164
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
How is the BDP-105D different from the BDP-105?... the following list explains it.

The BDP-105D subtracts:

~the Marvell Qdeo video processor


...and adds:

~the Silicon Image VRS ClearView video processor.
(the VRS chip allows for a slightly better picture presentation do to some ever so slight undefeatable DNR in the QDEO chip.)

~the Darbee Visual Presence video processor.

~updated USB DAC interface to support DSD64 and DSD128
(the 105D can not play media files in DSD 128 -- i.e., on a directly attached USB hard drive or via the house network.
the new capability is limited to the Asynchronous USB Input only!)

~a newer firmware update for the USB DAC, can also allow acceptance of stereo LPCM at rates up to 384KHz 24-bit.
Rates above 192KHz are only available for output on the Analog outputs. (192KHz limit on the 105.)

~the ability to send DSD over HDMI on the HDMI-1 output.
(this was only possible on the HDMI-2 output of the BDP-105)


...and replaces:

~the remote with be a slightly new version with a Darbee button.
(otherwise the remote is identical to the BDP-105/103)


All other aspects and functions of the two models are identical.
Thanks for the clear and concise explanation. Sounds like I should go ahead and get the 105D.
scirica likes this.

MacBook Pro 15" w/Retina display | Apple TV | Oppo BDP-105D | Parasound New Classic 2125 | Martin Logan Theos | Toshiba 42RV530U HDTV |
jake9 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #692 of 804 Old 07-28-2014, 05:39 PM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 27,524
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 866
OPPO Digital in the US has released an updated User Manual for the BDP-105D, available for download on their Support page for the player.
--Bob
Links likes this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. -- Need personal consultation/training?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bob Pariseau is online now  
post #693 of 804 Old 07-29-2014, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member
 
OmarF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 718
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by edfowler View Post
Does that mean that i can connect the 105 to my macbook via ethernet and use audirvana to play my dsd files?
Hey Ed, just a quick, semi-related update. Although upsampling via Audirvana seems to give music a fuller, larger sound, I was doing a little comparing this weekend, and find that I'm losing some fine details with upsampling, and the loss seems to increase proportionally to the upsampling, so have gone to no upsampling.

The place I noticed it was one of my favorite Boz Scags songs, Sarah. There are a lot of subtle sounds, including an occasional echo on his voice, balanced in the background. When I upsample, I lose the echo and the background becomes a little less distinct. Give it a try, let me know what you think.

Omar
OmarF is offline  
post #694 of 804 Old 07-29-2014, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member
 
edfowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: central Indiana
Posts: 1,754
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I'll give it a try. I think I have everything Boz has done in every format.

Another side note, you mentioned that I should give surround sound a try. I visited another AVS'er and he is heavily into 5.1 and has an incredible system. 5.1 kinda got me hooked! Good call on that one.
mhobart likes this.
edfowler is online now  
post #695 of 804 Old 07-29-2014, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member
 
OmarF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 718
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by edfowler View Post
I'll give it a try. I think I have everything Boz has done in every format.

Another side note, you mentioned that I should give surround sound a try. I visited another AVS'er and he is heavily into 5.1 and has an incredible system. 5.1 kinda got me hooked! Good call on that one.
Glad to hear it :-) Surround's a lot of fun with a good mix.

Omar
OmarF is offline  
post #696 of 804 Old 07-29-2014, 06:39 PM
Advanced Member
 
OmarF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 718
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by edfowler View Post
I'll give it a try. I think I have everything Boz has done in every format.

Another side note, you mentioned that I should give surround sound a try. I visited another AVS'er and he is heavily into 5.1 and has an incredible system. 5.1 kinda got me hooked! Good call on that one.
I take it back :-) upsampling's better, overall.
scirica likes this.
OmarF is offline  
post #697 of 804 Old 07-30-2014, 12:07 PM
Member
 
ECS01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Colorado
Posts: 107
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
First, I want to start by saying I like my Oppo a lot.... but has anyone else noticed their unit having some rather random "stability/flake-out" type issues?

So far I've experienced several HDMI failed handshake issues with my TV that disable the picture for some reason, but at least that's fairly easily resolved by unplugging the TV and restarting everything - so far. Also I'm not sure the Oppo is entirely to blame for that so I'm giving it a pass on that one, although I never had the issues before with my old Pioneer BDP-09FD..

However, the issue I had last night was a bit more troubling... For some reason when I turned on the unit, I had no center and surround channel output.. at all.. for any source/input..FL/FR from balanced outs and sub output still work fine for some reason.. (I use the variable volume to run all analog audio outputs directly to amps, and HDMI video straight to TV) So.. I power cycled everything and no change. I initially blamed my 3 channel amp, but after switching the outputs to my 2 channel for verification and still hearing nothing, it became obvious the issue was the source (Oppo 105D) I tried everything I could think of with no success, and eventually ended up returning it to "factory settings" and then restarting everything again.. After I'd input all my settings again (PITA...), for whatever reason, it was back up and running as usual and all channels were back in action.

Does anyone know of any issues/settings combos that might contribute to this kind of instability that I should try to avoid? Is there a better way to resolve this kind of random failure than a "factory reset"? I'm open to ideas because I really like this player, but not sure how long I can put up with it if it continues to randomly flake-out or (knock on wood) get worse.... Thoughts?
ECS01 is online now  
post #698 of 804 Old 07-30-2014, 12:16 PM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 27,524
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 866
^ Well of course the simplest way to get this result would be to accidentally change Speaker Configuration > Down Mix to either STEREO or LT/RT.

Since you are using separate amps, another possibility is that the Trigger for turning on the amps was not functioning.
--Bob


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. -- Need personal consultation/training?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bob Pariseau is online now  
post #699 of 804 Old 07-30-2014, 12:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Smarty-pants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 16,188
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECS01 View Post
First, I want to start by saying I like my Oppo a lot.... but has anyone else noticed their unit having some rather random "stability/flake-out" type issues?

So far I've experienced several HDMI failed handshake issues with my TV that disable the picture for some reason, but at least that's fairly easily resolved by unplugging the TV and restarting everything - so far. Also I'm not sure the Oppo is entirely to blame for that so I'm giving it a pass on that one, although I never had the issues before with my old Pioneer BDP-09FD..

However, the issue I had last night was a bit more troubling... For some reason when I turned on the unit, I had no center and surround channel output.. at all.. for any source/input..FL/FR from balanced outs and sub output still work fine for some reason.. (I use the variable volume to run all analog audio outputs directly to amps, and HDMI video straight to TV) So.. I power cycled everything and no change. I initially blamed my 3 channel amp, but after switching the outputs to my 2 channel for verification and still hearing nothing, it became obvious the issue was the source (Oppo 105D) I tried everything I could think of with no success, and eventually ended up returning it to "factory settings" and then restarting everything again.. After I'd input all my settings again (PITA...), for whatever reason, it was back up and running as usual and all channels were back in action.

Does anyone know of any issues/settings combos that might contribute to this kind of instability that I should try to avoid? Is there a better way to resolve this kind of random failure than a "factory reset"? I'm open to ideas because I really like this player, but not sure how long I can put up with it if it continues to randomly flake-out or (knock on wood) get worse.... Thoughts?
You can back up all your menu settings to a flash drive before doing a reset to default,
then after you do the reset, just load your settings back in that were previously stored. Easy peasy .

Not sure what the problem could have been though, aside from possibly mistaking audio from a source as being surround audio instead of stereo?
Anyway, if it does happen again, next time try just doing a hard reset of the player, but powering it off, then disconnect the power cord from the player,
then press the power button on the player to expend any residual power still in the player, then plug it back in and turn it on.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
Smarty-pants is offline  
post #700 of 804 Old 07-30-2014, 12:47 PM
Member
 
ECS01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Colorado
Posts: 107
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thanks for the suggestions guys

You are correct Bob, that's exactly what it was acting like - only while still set to full 5.1 surround. The amps are on all the time (by design) so I know that's not it, and I certainly wasn't in the settings menu before I had the issue, but did go in there several times to try to verify/change the settings and resolve the problem without success. I even tried going from FL/FR to stereo and back to 5.1 and it didn't help. I also verified the source material and tried several inputs to make sure it wasn't a down-mix or similar issue, or input dependent.

I did notice the USB back-up feature but didn't have a USB stick available... I will definitely be making use of this feature in the future if this happens again. Does it make a difference which USB port you use to back up, or does it tell you? I'll have to look into that process further for sure.

I will also definitely try your reset procedure before I blow away all my settings (if it happens again), so thanks for that idea too.
ECS01 is online now  
post #701 of 804 Old 08-01-2014, 12:07 PM
Advanced Member
 
HockeyoAJB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 680
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 221
I have a few questions regarding simultaneous output to multiple zones...

1) Can the 105D simultaneously bitstream Dolby TrueHD/DTS-HD MA + video to two AVR's/pre-pro's via. HDMI Outputs 1 & 2?

2a) Can the 105D bitstream Dolby TrueHD/DTS-HD MA to one AVR/pre-pro via. HDMI, while simultaneously outputting 7.1 analog audio to another?

2b) Can the 105D bitstream Dolby TrueHD/DTS-HD MA to one AVR/pre-pro via. HDMI, while simultaneously outputting stereo audio via. the XLR jacks?

3a) If the answer to question 2a is no, can it output 7.1 channel PCM to one AVR/pre-pro via. HDMI, while simultaneously outputting 7.1 analog audio to another?

3b) If the answer to question 2b is no, can it output 7.1 channel PCM to one AVR/pre-pro via. HDMI, while simultaneously outputting stereo audio via. the XLR jacks?

4) Can the 105D output 7.1 analog audio, while simultaneously outputting stereo audio via. the XLR jacks?

5) Can the 105D output audio via HDMI, 7.1 analog pre-outs, and/or the XLR jacks while you have a pair of headphones plugged into its headphone jack?
HockeyoAJB is online now  
post #702 of 804 Old 08-01-2014, 12:42 PM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 27,524
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyoAJB View Post
I have a few questions regarding simultaneous output to multiple zones...

1) Can the 105D simultaneously bitstream Dolby TrueHD/DTS-HD MA + video to two AVR's/pre-pro's via. HDMI Outputs 1 & 2?

2a) Can the 105D bitstream Dolby TrueHD/DTS-HD MA to one AVR/pre-pro via. HDMI, while simultaneously outputting 7.1 analog audio to another?

2b) Can the 105D bitstream Dolby TrueHD/DTS-HD MA to one AVR/pre-pro via. HDMI, while simultaneously outputting stereo audio via. the XLR jacks?

3a) If the answer to question 2a is no, can it output 7.1 channel PCM to one AVR/pre-pro via. HDMI, while simultaneously outputting 7.1 analog audio to another?

3b) If the answer to question 2b is no, can it output 7.1 channel PCM to one AVR/pre-pro via. HDMI, while simultaneously outputting stereo audio via. the XLR jacks?

4) Can the 105D output 7.1 analog audio, while simultaneously outputting stereo audio via. the XLR jacks?

5) Can the 105D output audio via HDMI, 7.1 analog pre-outs, and/or the XLR jacks while you have a pair of headphones plugged into its headphone jack?
1) Quite possibly, but I haven't tried it. You would need to set Setup > Video Setup > Dual HDMI Output to DUAL DISPLAYS, and of course both AVRs would need to be able to accept HDMI Bitstreams of that format. With DUAL DISPLAY selected the 105D uses a single output format which is accepted by BOTH devices.

2a) Yes.

2b) Yes -- or the Dedicated Stereo RCA jacks as well. You will need to set Setup > Audio Processing > Stereo Signal to DOWN-MIXED STEREO.

3a) N/A, but the answer is, nevertheless, Yes.

3b) N/A, but the answer is, nevertheless, Yes.

4) Yes -- or the Dedicates Stereo RCA jacks as well. You will need to set Setup > Audio Processing > Stereo Signal to DOWN-MIXED STEREO.

5) No. When the headphones are plugged in, all other audio outputs are Muted, and a separate Volume control setting comes into effect for just the Headphones. If you need headphones PLUS other audio, then connect a separate headphones amp to, e.g., the Dedicated Stereo Analog outs (either RCA or XLR).

Some notes on this:

A) Volume control applies to the Analog outputs only (except for Volume 0 which is implemented as Mute, and Mutes all outputs).

B) Down-mixing multi-channel content to stereo is one of several forms of audio processing the player offers. However, if you play an SACD disc, or DSD media files, with the SACD Output setting set to engage DSD-Direct-to-Analog conversion, then no audio processing is possible (other than Volume). So if you play a 5.1 SACD using, say, SACD Output DSD, then the Dedicated Stereo Analog outputs will carry only the LF/RF channel content. The Center, LS, RS, and Sub channels will be discarded instead of down-mixed. To avoid this, used SACD Output PCM.

C) Content input to the player via the Asynchronous USB DAC Input goes DIRECTLY to the DACs in the player -- again, no audio processing is possible (other than Volume). So for example, if you have a Crossover enabled for the multi-channel Analog outputs, there will be no bass sent to your Subwoofer because the input signal is stereo-only, and the Crossover processing can't happen for that input.
--Bob
scirica and HockeyoAJB like this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. -- Need personal consultation/training?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bob Pariseau is online now  
post #703 of 804 Old 08-01-2014, 03:45 PM
Member
 
sddawson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi all. Couple of queries about my new 105D:

Feeding DSD64 to the USB DAC via JRiver, I find that the HDMI1 audio is always muted. Feeding the same files via USB stick allows DSD to go to HDMI1. Is this a known limitation of the USB DAC?

I'm finding that sometimes it takes ages for any DLNA servers to show under Network, if at all. And the Oppo doesn't show as a renderer to anything either. Clicking on the 3 dots in the Network settings screen initiates a search but doesn't find anything. Then magically everything appears some time later, or I have to power cycle. I'm Ethernet connected, and the network connection tests fine. Any ideas on this one?

Thanks.
sddawson is offline  
post #704 of 804 Old 08-03-2014, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Audiguy3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Fort Collins CO
Posts: 1,201
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I am finding that about one in three BR discs from Netflix will not play unless I thoroughly clean them - and even then I have to send one in three back as unplayable on my Oppo. Just does not handle grease smudges or dirt as well as Sony players I have do. Would I go back to Sony - no - I love my Oppo but I hope they put more time into their firmware upgrades to address these issues.
Easy enough for them to test out.- get a Netflix account and just start testing the discs they receive. Real world testing that is cheap and easy

Reggie
Family Room:
70" Sharp Elite/Marantz AV8801/MM8801/GoldenEar: Triton Twos, SuperCenter XLcenter channel, and SuperSat 60 surrounds/Oppo BDP-105/Directv Genie/ HP Notebook
Basement: 60" Sony SXRD KDS-60A2000/Marantz AV8003/Marantz MM8003/PSB Stratus Gold Front,Center,Left, Surrounds
Audiguy3 is offline  
post #705 of 804 Old 08-03-2014, 12:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
BillP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: PA
Posts: 13,705
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiguy3 View Post
I am finding that about one in three BR discs from Netflix will not play unless I thoroughly clean them - and even then I have to send one in three back as unplayable on my Oppo. Just does not handle grease smudges or dirt as well as Sony players I have do. Would I go back to Sony - no - I love my Oppo but I hope they put more time into their firmware upgrades to address these issues.
Easy enough for them to test out.- get a Netflix account and just start testing the discs they receive. Real world testing that is cheap and easy
My experience (with a 105, not a 105D) is quite the opposite. I use Netflix discs a lot, and have had no problems with playing any of them (unlike other players I used to own, especially Pioneer). All I do is wipe them with a dry lint-free cloth before inserting into the player.
audiofan1 likes this.
BillP is offline  
post #706 of 804 Old 08-03-2014, 02:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Smarty-pants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 16,188
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 131
^ I'm in the same camp as Bill. I rarely have any issues at all with NF discs.
Granted most of my NF discs I receive look flawless, and I never put them in the player if they look dirty, I clean them first.
This helps to make sure that dirt and foreign particles do not get deposited onto the lens or other components in the player.

Just by it's nature though, Blu-ray is much more sensitive than DVD ever was with scratched or dirty discs,
because IIRC, the lens for BD playback has to be much closer to the disc than it does for DVD,
and that makes errors much more likley to occur.

If another BD player seems to be handling the exact same problematic disc better than the Oppo 10x players,
then maybe Oppo might need a slight adjustment, but again I am personally not having such issues.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
Smarty-pants is offline  
post #707 of 804 Old 08-10-2014, 01:12 PM
Member
 
CT-Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I am finally taking a dip into the higher-end audio pool, and have the following components on order:

Paradigm Speakers:
- Studio 100's for the fronts
- Studio 20's for the rears/surrounds
- Sub12
- CC690 for the center

Sony XBR65X850B for the display
Oppo BDP-105D
Anthem MRX710 AVR
Anthem MCA-20 for the fronts for two channel audio listening.

I have read this entire thread and not entirely sure how to wire things up. For the fronts it seems I want to go from the analog outs on the Oppo to the MCA-20 and then to the speakers to get the best sound possible for music.

For 5.1 sound it seems just use the HDMI from the Oppo to the AVR and be able to make use of Anthem's very well reviewed ARC.

So I guess I would need to remove the jumper on the Studio 100's and bi-wire them, one set from the MCA-20 and one set from the AVR?

Or is there a better way to do this?

Thanks for the help, and I can't wait for this equipment to show up. If it matters the room is 12'x26', with everything in one half of the room.

I know it might make sense to get an AVR that has analog inputs (MRX710 does not), but my sons roommate works for a high-end A/V store and is giving me a killer discount. I eventually want to go to a processor and individual amps, that just isn't in the budget right now.

Thanks,

Mike

Last edited by CT-Mike; 08-10-2014 at 02:29 PM.
CT-Mike is offline  
post #708 of 804 Old 08-10-2014, 04:04 PM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 27,524
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 866
^ Check what you are doing with those front speakers.

Usually a bus bar connection on the back of the speaker means there are separate inputs for the low and high frequency drivers in the speaker. The bus bar lets you connect the power amp to one set of inputs with signals going to both drivers so you get full frequency sound. If you remove the bus bar and connect one input to the MRX and the other input to the MCA you will only get partial frequency sound from the speaker regardless of which path you are listening to.

You can still do what you want to do -- leaving that bus bar in place -- by using a speaker wire switch. The MRX and MCA output to the fronts go into that switch, and the switch selects which of those two gets passed on to your fronts. Note that this has to be a switch -- not just some sort of Y-cable. You don't want the MRX output and the MCA output to be connected to each other!
--Bob
scirica likes this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. -- Need personal consultation/training?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bob Pariseau is online now  
post #709 of 804 Old 08-10-2014, 04:39 PM
Member
 
CT-Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ Check what you are doing with those front speakers.

Usually a bus bar connection on the back of the speaker means there are separate inputs for the low and high frequency drivers in the speaker. The bus bar lets you connect the power amp to one set of inputs with signals going to both drivers so you get full frequency sound. If you remove the bus bar and connect one input to the MRX and the other input to the MCA you will only get partial frequency sound from the speaker regardless of which path you are listening to.

You can still do what you want to do -- leaving that bus bar in place -- by using a speaker wire switch. The MRX and MCA output to the fronts go into that switch, and the switch selects which of those two gets passed on to your fronts. Note that this has to be a switch -- not just some sort of Y-cable. You don't want the MRX output and the MCA output to be connected to each other!
--Bob
Thanks for the breath of fresh air Bob, you're absolutely right about the speakers.

Is there some type of speaker switch that would switch automatically based on the input? That would be ideal to meet the wife acceptance factor.

Mike
CT-Mike is offline  
post #710 of 804 Old 08-10-2014, 04:40 PM
Member
 
sddawson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi CT-Mike. I'm not familiar with Anthem gear, but let me have a crack. Bob's right, of course, about bi-wiring. That won't work for you. But although the MRX710 doesn't have multi-channel analog inputs, it DOES have 5 stereo analog inputs by the looks of the manual. I would imagine that you could connect the Oppo's dedicated analog stereo output to one of those, and simply switch the Anthem to that audio input when you want to listen to it. The Oppo's audio output should be set to fixed, rather then variable. However, you should then listen using the Anthem's "pure direct" mode (they may call it something a little different), so that it bypasses any processing it might perform, including room correction. Otherwise, The Oppo will be converting digital to analog, the Anthem back to digital for its processing, and then finally back to analog to pass to the power amp. To my mind, this negates any advantage of using the Oppo's DAC and you might as well just pass digital directly to the Anthem using HDMI.

If you cable things this way, you can actually switch between the Anthem analog input and its HDMI input, even when listening to stereo music, and use whichever you prefer at that time.

Hope this helps (and that I'm right)!

Last edited by sddawson; 08-10-2014 at 04:43 PM.
sddawson is offline  
post #711 of 804 Old 08-10-2014, 05:18 PM
Member
 
CT-Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Sddawson,

So if I am following you I wouldn't need the standalone amp at all for the fronts? If this is not the case, how would it be wired?

Thanks all for helping a Newb,

Mike
CT-Mike is offline  
post #712 of 804 Old 08-10-2014, 06:24 PM
Member
 
sddawson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post
Sddawson,

So if I am following you I wouldn't need the standalone amp at all for the fronts? If this is not the case, how would it be wired?

Thanks all for helping a Newb,

Mike
Well no, you don't strictly NEED the standalone amp for the fronts. But I assumed you bought that because you wanted better and more powerful amplification for listening to stereo music. Your MRX710 fulfils the functions of a preamplifier and 7 power amplifiers - one for each speaker. That would work fine without your MCA-20. But the MCA-20 is a much more powerful amplifier and will theoretically lift the level of performance for your left and right main speaker. So you can wire like this:

Oppo HDMI ---> MRX710 HDMI input for all your multichannel stuff, movies etc.
Oppo Dedicated stereo analog out ---> MRX710 analog input 1
MRX710 ---> Centre, surround left, surround right, surround back left and surround back right using speaker cables
MRX710 Main pre-out left and right ---> MCA-20, using normal RCA audio cables.

What that last connection does is bypass the power amplifiers in your MRX710 for the 2 main left and right speakers, and let the MCA-20 handle that function. For those 2 channels, the MRX710 will only be a preamplifier.

From the look of the manual, you have to set up an input that uses the MRX710 analog input 1 for its audio, and set Process Analog Audio Input to No for that input to get the "purest" audio.

I think I've got this right for your setup, but hope someone else can confirm. Hope this helps rather than confuses!
sddawson is offline  
post #713 of 804 Old 08-11-2014, 12:49 AM
Member
 
CT-Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sddawson View Post
Well no, you don't strictly NEED the standalone amp for the fronts. But I assumed you bought that because you wanted better and more powerful amplification for listening to stereo music. Your MRX710 fulfils the functions of a preamplifier and 7 power amplifiers - one for each speaker. That would work fine without your MCA-20. But the MCA-20 is a much more powerful amplifier and will theoretically lift the level of performance for your left and right main speaker. So you can wire like this:

Oppo HDMI ---> MRX710 HDMI input for all your multichannel stuff, movies etc.
Oppo Dedicated stereo analog out ---> MRX710 analog input 1
MRX710 ---> Centre, surround left, surround right, surround back left and surround back right using speaker cables
MRX710 Main pre-out left and right ---> MCA-20, using normal RCA audio cables.

What that last connection does is bypass the power amplifiers in your MRX710 for the 2 main left and right speakers, and let the MCA-20 handle that function. For those 2 channels, the MRX710 will only be a preamplifier.

From the look of the manual, you have to set up an input that uses the MRX710 analog input 1 for its audio, and set Process Analog Audio Input to No for that input to get the "purest" audio.

I think I've got this right for your setup, but hope someone else can confirm. Hope this helps rather than confuses!
Now it makes sense, thanks for info. I am buying the MCA-20 to drive the fronts because I want to get the best possible two-channel stereo out of the fronts as I can get within the limits of my budget.

Thanks again,

Mike
CT-Mike is offline  
post #714 of 804 Old 08-12-2014, 09:35 PM
Member
 
zombie1210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 182
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I just read this thread from start to finish. Now I have a headache.

My Silver 105D will be here early next week.

BDP103>SR7007>55"ES8000
zombie1210 is offline  
post #715 of 804 Old 08-17-2014, 07:27 PM
Member
 
jake9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Tucson
Posts: 164
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hi, guys. Proud new owner of a 105D and I have a question on Darbee. When I select "Hi Def" or "Full Pop," etc, the Darbee level doesn't change. It always stays on 0%. Is that normal? Not sure if I'm understanding the manual right. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

MacBook Pro 15" w/Retina display | Apple TV | Oppo BDP-105D | Parasound New Classic 2125 | Martin Logan Theos | Toshiba 42RV530U HDTV |
jake9 is offline  
post #716 of 804 Old 08-17-2014, 08:12 PM
Newbie
 
rambotan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake9 View Post
Hi, guys. Proud new owner of a 105D and I have a question on Darbee. When I select "Hi Def" or "Full Pop," etc, the Darbee level doesn't change. It always stays on 0%. Is that normal? Not sure if I'm understanding the manual right. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
After changing between "Hi Def" and "Full Pop" did you try to increase the Darbee setting? You can changed the degree of Darbee effect in each of the different modes.
rambotan is offline  
post #717 of 804 Old 08-18-2014, 04:57 AM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 17,290
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by rambotan View Post
After changing between "Hi Def" and "Full Pop" did you try to increase the Darbee setting? You can changed the degree of Darbee effect in each of the different modes.
Yes, that confused me at first, too. Each Darbee mode remembers it's own level. When comparing the modes you have to remember that setting it to x% under Full Pop does not change the value for HiDef, etc.

Another feature: you have three user preset modes in Picture Adjustment. Each can have a different set of Darbee values.

-Bill


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

 

 

wmcclain is online now  
post #718 of 804 Old 08-18-2014, 09:25 AM
Member
 
jake9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Tucson
Posts: 164
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Yes, it remembers the level I set for each mode. Perhaps my mistake was understanding it had a preset Darbee level already assigned. It seems the default values for each Darbee mode is 0% but it will remember the level I set it for each mode. I think I understand now.

MacBook Pro 15" w/Retina display | Apple TV | Oppo BDP-105D | Parasound New Classic 2125 | Martin Logan Theos | Toshiba 42RV530U HDTV |
jake9 is offline  
post #719 of 804 Old 08-18-2014, 06:22 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
SAMBA Issues

Hey Guys,

I have searched and haven't been able to find an answer. I have a BDP-105D with the latest Firmware. I have an Ubuntu server running samba on the same network. I can't for the life of me get the Oppo to see the samba shares.....am I missing something?

Regards,
Paul
carda21 is offline  
post #720 of 804 Old 08-18-2014, 06:54 PM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 17,290
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by carda21 View Post
Hey Guys,

I have searched and haven't been able to find an answer. I have a BDP-105D with the latest Firmware. I have an Ubuntu server running samba on the same network. I can't for the life of me get the Oppo to see the samba shares.....am I missing something?

Regards,
Paul
Welcome to AVSForum.

I run samba on openSuSE without issue. Is everything else on the local network working? If you start a DLNA server on the same system does the player see it?

And you're looking under the Network icon on the Home screen, right?

-Bill


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

 

 

wmcclain is online now  
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103d Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Darbee Edition , Oppo Digital Inc Bdp 105
Gear in this thread - 103d by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off