post #721 of 1153 Unread 08-18-2014, 09:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
Welcome to AVSForum.

I run samba on openSuSE without issue. Is everything else on the local network working? If you start a DLNA server on the same system does the player see it?

And you're looking under the Network icon on the Home screen, right?

-Bill
Hey Bill,

Thanks for the reply. I have other devices on the network connecting to the SAMBA shares in question. I did install miniDLNA on the ubuntu machine and have no issues seeing that from the Oppo.

I have made some small changes to the samba config which I will test tonight to see if they have an impact. I added the following to smb.conf....not sure it will help but worth a try

local master = yes
preferred master = yes

I also simplified the hostname, just in case the Oppo has issues with special chars in the hostname.

If these changes don't work, not sure what else to try
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1153 Unread 08-19-2014, 07:02 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 690 Post(s)
Liked: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by carda21 View Post
Hey Bill,

Thanks for the reply. I have other devices on the network connecting to the SAMBA shares in question. I did install miniDLNA on the ubuntu machine and have no issues seeing that from the Oppo.

I have made some small changes to the samba config which I will test tonight to see if they have an impact.
Here is my smb.conf, which I think was generated automatically by SuSE, except for the [wem] section, which is the share for my media files. Do you have "guest ok = Yes" in your shares?

Spoiler!

Else: could it be a security issue? Are your other devices known to the firewall and the player not?

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #723 of 1153 Unread 08-19-2014, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Here is my smb.conf, which I think was generated automatically by SuSE, except for the [wem] section, which is the share for my media files. Do you have "guest ok = Yes" in your shares?

Spoiler!

Else: could it be a security issue? Are your other devices known to the firewall and the player not?

-Bill
Hey Bill,

Compared our configs and the only line that wasn't there that I thought might make a difference was the "os level = 65". I put that change in this morning, restarted SMB and IT WORKED!

Thanks for your help, it has been greatly appreciated.

- Paul
post #724 of 1153 Unread 08-19-2014, 09:23 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I received my 105D today.

I hooked it up to my tv and first look tells me that the picture is superb. More on that later.

Then I hooked up cables from the analog outs of the 105D into my Sansui 9090DB vintage 130w receiver, which is connected to a set of vintage stacked Large Advents. My favorite setup for music.

Next I set up the Wi-Fi on the 105d and tried Pandora.

My jaw is still on the floor. Holy %$#@!!!!!! Pandora sounds as good as a CD. The magic that the DAC is putting out is something didn't expect. I thought it would be good, but WOW. Pretty amazing. I'm not an audio techie. I'm just a vintage audio guy who owned a lot of nice gear back in the 70's and is enjoying it again through a lot of restored gear I have acquired.

I got the same wonderful results when I plugged my iPod Touch into the 105D and played some of my iTunes music. Even with iTunes downloaded music, I am hearing details that were not there before, and with a warmth that makes me giggle like a school girl.

Next I dropped in a CD. One of Frank Zappa's live disc series, "You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore". It sounds like vinyl. Seriously. It doesn't sound like a CD. Simply amazing. To me at least. It sounds as good as my Dual 1249 directly into the Sansui playing a vinyl record. The soundstage was really good. My 59 year old ears still know what sounds good.

I know next to nothing about DACs. But I had been using my Oppo 103 and while the music sounded good, it was NOTHING like this. No comparison.

Bravo Oppo!! Expensive player, but holey cow.....superb video was a given. I had no idea the audio would be so good.

And just to add....the Darbee video thingy looks great from what I tried. I'll get to that later. Sorry to ramble on, but ts been a while since a product made me this excited.
Smarty-pants, mhobart and DanF8500 like this.

BDP103>SR7007>55"ES8000
post #725 of 1153 Unread 08-20-2014, 06:16 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked: 1041
^ It is permitted to hop up and down in unbridled glee.

We'll understand.
--Bob
mhobart and scirica like this.
post #726 of 1153 Unread 08-20-2014, 09:29 PM

I tested the Darbee setting on Skyfall and Prometheus. I'd have to say that I like it a lot. I fiddled with the settings and I prefer the POP setting, at around 60%. Its ALMOST like upgrading Blu-Ray to the next level of detail.

But wow, the sound is sooooo good. I was up late last night listening to stuff I hadn't played in a while. The 105 breathes life into my music collection.
scirica likes this.

BDP103>SR7007>55"ES8000
post #727 of 1153 Unread 08-21-2014, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie1210 View Post
I tested the Darbee setting on Skyfall and Prometheus. I'd have to say that I like it a lot. I fiddled with the settings and I prefer the POP setting, at around 60%. Its ALMOST like upgrading Blu-Ray to the next level of detail.

But wow, the sound is sooooo good. I was up late last night listening to stuff I hadn't played in a while. The 105 breathes life into my music collection.
Glad you are enjoying it! In my case as well, the Darbee does upgrade the video experience. I may try "pop", but I'm happy with 40% on Hi-Def so far.

McIntosh MX121. McIntosh MC205. Focal Aria 948 Main Speakers, Aria CC900 Center. Focal Electra IC 1002 In-Ceiling Surrounds. Paradigm Studio Sub 15. Oppo BDP-105D. Roku XS. Roku 3. Apple TV(3). "Silenzio" EA-2 Media Server (pc-based). DirecTV. Panasonic TC-P65VT50. Samsung UN40FH6030F, URC MX-780.
My current SACD list
post #728 of 1153 Unread 08-21-2014, 09:25 PM

Tonights exploration involves using Audirvana on my MacBook Pro to play my iTunes library.

Again, it's the analog outs of the 105D into my Sansui 9090DB and out to a pair of stacked Large Advents. In my man cave room. About 15x20 deep.

I wasn't expecting even better sound, but the Audirvana player, linked to iTunes really does step up the quality even more.

I am listening to The Doors, Live in Boston. It always sounded flat and without life, played from my MacBook Pro, straight into the Sansui. NOW, things really open up. I can close my eyes and imagine them playing, 10 feet in front of me. The soundstage has width and depth. And these are just MP3's. Amazing.

Earlier I played The Who Live at Leeds. The music unfolds to reveal much more than I heard before. Guitar, drums and bass. Those guys could make so little sound like so much.

I'm not sure exactly how Audirvana works, but it sure is a great player for music files. The BD-105D takes what it gives, and puts it out to my stereo gear in superb fashion. No more iTunes as a player for me!

BDP103>SR7007>55"ES8000
post #729 of 1153 Unread 08-22-2014, 02:49 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm having a weird problem trying to stream video. All my movies have been encoded (or reencoded) using Handbrake on a Mac using its Apple TV 2 profile. When I try to stream these to the 105D strange things happen! A lot of the movies will attempt to play at 24p, with horrible stutter and lip-sync problems. If I turn off 1080p24 in the Settings, they play fine. Same movies play fine on a PS3 and Apple TV too, outputting 1080p 60Hz and 720p 60 Hz respectively. Any ideas?
post #730 of 1153 Unread 08-22-2014, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie1210 View Post

I'm not sure exactly how Audirvana works, but it sure is a great player for music files. The BD-105D takes what it gives, and puts it out to my stereo gear in superb fashion. No more iTunes as a player for me!
Give JRiver's Media Center a try too. Supports lots of file formats natively, including ALAC, FLAC and DSD. iTunes completely out of the picture, and I think it's kind of nice having just the one piece of software handing everything. It can be a bit more complex to set up, but ultimately highly configurable.
post #731 of 1153 Unread 08-22-2014, 05:45 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sddawson View Post
I'm having a weird problem trying to stream video. All my movies have been encoded (or reencoded) using Handbrake on a Mac using its Apple TV 2 profile. When I try to stream these to the 105D strange things happen! A lot of the movies will attempt to play at 24p, with horrible stutter and lip-sync problems. If I turn off 1080p24 in the Settings, they play fine. Same movies play fine on a PS3 and Apple TV too, outputting 1080p 60Hz and 720p 60 Hz respectively. Any ideas?
(1) What's the connection to the OPPO? Ethernet: wired or wireless? DLNA or SMB? Or are you using an HDMI input?

(2) As a diagnostic, copy one of your files to USB storage and connect it directly to the player. Do you get the same behavior?

(3) There is a free utility "mediainfo". Use it to generate a text report on one of the problem files and post it here.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
post #732 of 1153 Unread 08-22-2014, 05:45 PM

Quote:
(1) What's the connection to the OPPO? Ethernet: wired or wireless? DLNA or SMB? Or are you using an HDMI input?

(2) As a diagnostic, copy one of your files to USB storage and connect it directly to the player. Do you get the same behavior?

(3) There is a free utility "mediainfo". Use it to generate a text report on one of the problem files and post it here.

-Bill
(1) Ethernet, DLNA, HDMI to Yamaha processor and Panasonic TV.

(2) Same behaviour with USB. Same behaviour using a BDP-103 on a different system with Meridian processing and JVC projector.

(3) I've posted media info on 2 movies. "Eraser" plays at 1080p50, "Face Off" plays at 1080p24. They both look pretty similar to me! All very strange...

Thanks for the help, Bill.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Eraser.txt (2.1 KB, 11 views)
File Type: txt Face Off.txt (1.7 KB, 12 views)
post #733 of 1153 Unread 08-22-2014, 09:15 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
(1) Ethernet, DLNA, HDMI to Yamaha processor and Panasonic TV.

(2) Same behaviour with USB. Same behaviour using a BDP-103 on a different system with Meridian processing and JVC projector.

(3) I've posted media info on 2 movies. "Eraser" plays at 1080p50, "Face Off" plays at 1080p24. They both look pretty similar to me! All very strange...

Thanks for the help, Bill.
Both files show 25fps, so I'm puzzled how one can display at 24hz.

Both are from DVD? The pixel dimensions look undersized even for DVD. Are you losing resolution with Handbrake somehow?

We heard recently that mp4 containers were not behaving as well has mkv. Try using mkvmerge to make an mkv copy of one of your files. It will run about as fast as copying the file itself. If that works: Handbrake will also produce mkv directly.

-Bill

post #734 of 1153 Unread 08-22-2014, 11:30 PM

Quote:
We heard recently that mp4 containers were not behaving as well has mkv. Try using mkvmerge to make an mkv copy of one of your files. It will run about as fast as copying the file itself. If that works: Handbrake will also produce mkv directly.

-Bill
Not sure of the original source of those files. But I've attached details of two others, which I'm pretty sure are direct DVD rips of mine, judging from the pixel dimensions and file sizes. Dear John plays fine, Eat Pray Love plays at 24p. Again, I can see no difference in the metadata to speak of. I converted Eat Pray Love to MKV using mkvtools on my Mac. Same problem.

Not sure if it's pertinent, but if I have Dear John or Eat Pray Love selected on the Oppo screen, it says Total Time: 00:00 and Resolution 0x0@0.000. But the mkv version of Eat Pray Love says 720x544@24.000.

BTW, I chose the Apple TV format way back as one that would work pretty much anywhere, which has been true until the Oppo . The only drawback is that this format has 2 audio tracks, the first stereo AAC and the second dolby digital. Apple TV knows to use the second track, but for everything else I have to manually switch to the 2nd track for DD. Be nice if the Oppo managed this by itself!

Thanks again.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Dear John.txt (2.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: txt Eat Pray Love (Director's Cut).txt (2.6 KB, 11 views)
post #735 of 1153 Unread 08-23-2014, 05:52 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Not sure of the original source of those files. But I've attached details of two others, which I'm pretty sure are direct DVD rips of mine, judging from the pixel dimensions and file sizes.
If would be worth trying Handbrake again with a normal profile to see if that makes a difference. You'd need the original disc. Also try creating MKV directly.

Else: write up your observations for OPPO support and offere them a sample file.

-Bill

post #736 of 1153 Unread 08-23-2014, 10:40 PM

Quote:

Else: write up your observations for OPPO support and offere them a sample file.

-Bill
Yeh, now I know it really is something out of the ordinary, I reckon I'll hand this over to support. I'll post back if there's any resolution. Thanks for the help, Bill.
post #737 of 1153 Unread 08-23-2014, 10:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I wish there was a way to test this before purchasing. If I liked it I would never send it back? Do they have a 30-day in home test or is it a return with 15% restocking?

I am moving into a newly built home next week and I am already planning my home audio experience. I just bought the new Samsung 85" 4k, and I am wondering if I want to use the Denon 4100 to decode or use the dedicated tuner from Samsung that shipped with the TV? I have 2-studio 100s v.5 in the front, 1-studio 690 v.5 in the center and 2-590s in the rear with 2-SVS PB13s as my subs. I am adding 4-Paradigm SIG-1.5R-30 v.3 in the ceiling for a 5.2.4. I have the XPA-2 for the front and the XPA-3 for the rears and center and was thinking about using the 4100 to power the 4 in-ceiling speakers (main zone) AND the two outdoor speakers (zone 2).
post #738 of 1153 Unread 08-24-2014, 01:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenonLover View Post
I wish there was a way to test this before purchasing. If I liked it I would never send it back? Do they have a 30-day in home test or is it a return with 15% restocking?

I am moving into a newly built home next week and I am already planning my home audio experience. I just bought the new Samsung 85" 4k, and I am wondering if I want to use the Denon 4100 to decode or use the dedicated tuner from Samsung that shipped with the TV? I have 2-studio 100s v.5 in the front, 1-studio 690 v.5 in the center and 2-590s in the rear with 2-SVS PB13s as my subs. I am adding 4-Paradigm SIG-1.5R-30 v.3 in the ceiling for a 5.2.4. I have the XPA-2 for the front and the XPA-3 for the rears and center and was thinking about using the 4100 to power the 4 in-ceiling speakers (main zone) AND the two outdoor speakers (zone 2).
All products purchased directly from Oppo Digital have a 30 day, no questions asked, money back guarantee.
They even pay for the return shipping, so if you decide you don't want it, the only cost to you is the original shipping charge.
http://www.oppodigital.com/Support_Store.aspx
DenonLover likes this.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #739 of 1153 Unread 08-24-2014, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
All products purchased directly from Oppo Digital have a 30 day, no questions asked, money back guarantee.
They even pay for the return shipping, so if you decide you don't want it, the only cost to you is the original shipping charge.
http://www.oppodigital.com/Support_Store.aspx
I think I am going to order the 103D and the 105D and decide if I can tell a difference in sound quality in my home. I also would like to demo the 105Ds headphone amplifier with my headphones to see how it compares to the stand alone. I really want the 105D to blow me away so I can keep it and return the 103D. Thanks for the reply and the help since would be my first OPPO product.
post #740 of 1153 Unread 08-24-2014, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
I think I am going to order the 103D and the 105D and decide if I can tell a difference in sound quality in my home. I also would like to demo the 105Ds headphone amplifier with my headphones to see how it compares to the stand alone. I really want the 105D to blow me away so I can keep it and return the 103D. Thanks for the reply and the help since would be my first OPPO product.
I would be amazed if you could not tell the difference in sound quality between the 103D and the 105D
post #741 of 1153 Unread 08-24-2014, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I had the OPPO 83SE and ordered a 103. The 103 went back within a couple of days. I ordered the 105 and the 83SE was sold and gone in two days. The difference is that great.
DenonLover likes this.
post #742 of 1153 Unread 08-24-2014, 09:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
I would contact Oppo directly and let them know what your goals are.
They are very responsive and helpful to figure out what your needs are without intent to 'up-sell'.
They may also be able to send some type of loner units to help you audition between them.
I don't know for sure, but it never hurts to ask. Their customer support is extremely good.
DenonLover likes this.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #743 of 1153 Unread 08-24-2014, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
I would contact Oppo directly and let them know what your goals are.
They are very responsive and helpful to figure out what your needs are without intent to 'up-sell'.
They may also be able to send some type of loner units to help you audition between them.
I don't know for sure, but it never hurts to ask. Their customer support is extremely good.
That is a great idea. I would rather be honest on the front as they very well might have an option for customers like me who have limited their search to two products by them and need to know if its worth the upgrade cost? If so I will happily pay the cost of admission. Thank you.
post #744 of 1153 Unread 08-26-2014, 03:05 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Downsizing and Replacing

There's a 90% chance that the probability of me having a high chance of being 50% sure I'm likely to be 20% brain damaged after reading all that is, approaching unity.... My brain hurts.

Major Downsizing in progress - eliminating a lot of stuff as I get ready to sell the house (not soon unfortunately) and go much smaller.
I'm also getting old enough that my golden ear days are pretty much over - although I can still tell the difference between DSD and 196/24 - or I think I can, probably just wishful thinking...

My preferences lean toward musical, slightly dark, & airy with good resolution

So, I'll keep:
Vpi SuperScoutmaster Turntable / Shelter 501 -> Linn Phono Pre
Maybe the Magnum Dynalab Tuner - Do receivers have FM tuners anymore? I feel a bit like a luddite.
Sony 46" Bravia (might upgrade)
Possibly the Nuforce Reference 9 mono blocks, or maybe just the old adcom 5 channel. (depends and preamp/receiver choice)
Xbox 360
Sonus faber Concerto's, matching surrounds, Velodyne 15" sub

Planned purchased include:
Ayre QA-9 for ripping vinyl
PS3 (hopefully for ripping SACD) so I can use the files on my AK240
Oppo BDP-105D (DAC), BluRay, DVD,SACD,CD player, and I'll use the headphone amp too.
Oppo PM-1 headphones.

Preamp Choices - I'm open to there suggestions (except yamaha/dennon - I've owned both and prefer marantz - it's just me really)
Integra DTC 9.8 A/V receiver (I have)
Anthem MRX-510 (Never listened to one - but I hear so much good about them...)
Marantz SR6009 (for the price I've always liked Marantz sound)
Other Analog possibly Nuforce MCP-18???

It would be good to have some bass management - crossovers for the bookshelves / sub and I don't want the sub between the source and the Concerto's. That's something the MCP-18 doesn't seem to do and I found it helps a lot when matching the sub to the speakers. Will the 105 do that pre-analog outputs?

So, I can dump the amps if I get the Marantz or Anthem, Keep the Adcom and DTC9.8 or some 5.1 analog pre) I could keep the Reference 9's if I really need them but - I'm leaning toward fewer boxes, fewer cables.

Let's see what a few hours of reading comes to.

With a 105D, I can put my files (audio) on a NAS or RAID, run JRiver on a Mac to use as a DNLA server which will allow me to use my iPad as a remote. From there I can stream (stream?) the DSD files, as well as high res FLAC files to the 105D. - I'm not clear as to what connection that would be on. I want to use the DAC in the 105D - especially for DSD.

If I want to play movies I need to run video to the TV (sony Bravia) possibly though a surround sound receiver (possibly Marantz SR6009, or maybe an Anthem MRX 510 (although really only need 5.1) Eventually I'd like to rip the video to a server.

Okay - so if I want to take advantage of Audyssey MultEQ XT or ARC-1M - does the 105D DAC actually provide any benefit?
If I don't use Room correction, then wouldn't I be better off with the cleanest leanest analog 5.1 preamp I can find in the same price range?

On the other hand, Room eq might help enough to make up for the extra conversions or the lower quality DACS in the Marantz and Anthem (are they lower? - that's the impression I have).

I'm pretty far out of my experience base with Marantz & Anthem and the others - I'm also pretty far away from anywhere I might have a chance to listen (like 2 hours or more, each way)

So, do I need the Mac + JRiver? Sounds like the slickest way to deal with it.
Should I worry about room control or is the DAC so good I won't want to use rc? (Never used it haven't really missed it but then how would I know?)
Should the game consoles just go right to the Pre-Pro?
I need some way to switch HDMI - and get HDMI audio out for the game consoles, possibly a game PC (too noisy to use as a server) so that has to be the pre-pro.
post #745 of 1153 Unread 08-26-2014, 06:04 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotRick View Post
There's a 90% chance that the probability of me having a high chance of being 50% sure I'm likely to be 20% brain damaged after reading all that is, approaching unity.... My brain hurts.
I'll try to answer at least some of your questions:

Quote:
So, I'll keep:
Vpi SuperScoutmaster Turntable / Shelter 501 -> Linn Phono Pre
Maybe the Magnum Dynalab Tuner - Do receivers have FM tuners anymore? I feel a bit like a luddite.
Yes, many receivers still include FM tuners. With those analog sources you're keeping you'll obviously need an analog preamp even if you wanted to use the BDP-105D to handle all of your digital sources.

Quote:
Sony 46" Bravia (might upgrade)
Depending on your seating distance, going to something bigger would probably make a lot of sense especially if you're getting the Darbee version of the BDP-105.

Quote:
It would be good to have some bass management - crossovers for the bookshelves / sub and I don't want the sub between the source and the Concerto's. That's something the MCP-18 doesn't seem to do and I found it helps a lot when matching the sub to the speakers. Will the 105 do that pre-analog outputs?
Yes, but just remember that the 105 doesn't have any analog inputs, so you'll at the very least need a 2 channel preamp with a "home theater bypass" mode in order to handle all of your sources (digital into the 105, analog into the 2 channel preamp).

Quote:
With a 105D, I can put my files (audio) on a NAS or RAID, run JRiver on a Mac to use as a DNLA server which will allow me to use my iPad as a remote. From there I can stream (stream?) the DSD files, as well as high res FLAC files to the 105D. - I'm not clear as to what connection that would be on. I want to use the DAC in the 105D - especially for DSD.
In this case, your audio would get to the 105 via your home network either wired (preferred) or wireless (more likely to have issues).

Quote:
Okay - so if I want to take advantage of Audyssey MultEQ XT or ARC-1M - does the 105D DAC actually provide any benefit?

No, if you want to use Audyssey, then you would be better off getting a BDP-103 or BDP-103D and putting the difference in price into a better receiver or surround sound processor (preferably with Audyssey XT32).
Quote:
If I don't use Room correction, then wouldn't I be better off with the cleanest leanest analog 5.1 preamp I can find in the same price range?
Essentially, yes. If you don't want to use room correction, you could consider using the as your preamp BDP-105 for everything digital and then getting a 2 channel preamp with home theater bypass for all of your analog sources. The only sticking points here are that the 105 might not have enough inputs to handle all of your digital sources and it's not the best idea to be running game consoles through video processors when playing games. If you need more inputs, you could (for example) add a HDMI switch between your sources and the HDMI inputs on the 105. And you could put the 105 into source direct mode when playing games to address the potential video processing issues.

The issue with playing games when video processing is enabled is latency. The video processing adds a delay in the picture getting to the display such that there will be too much lag between your actions with the game controller and what happens on screen. For some types of games, this doesn't matter, for many other types of games, it's the difference between barely making it to the end of level 1 and being able to play the whole game.

Quote:
So, do I need the Mac + JRiver? Sounds like the slickest way to deal with it.
That's certainly one of the best ways to handle playing your media through the Oppo and is what I typically use (except I use JRiver on a Windows system, not Mac). Keep in mind that JRiver is still in the relatively early stages on the Mac.

Quote:
Should I worry about room control or is the DAC so good I won't want to use rc? (Never used it haven't really missed it but then how would I know?)
Unfortunately, this one is tough to answer. Some people swear by room correction, while others swear at it. The best answer I can give you is to find a way to try to hear it both ways, preferably in your own home so you can make the decision that works best for you. But if you do this, make sure you get the best version of the room correction system you decide to try out because the less expensive versions don't do nearly as good a job. With Audyssey, that means getting their XT32 version and preferably on a flagship receiver or surround sound processor. A friend of mine didn't care for Audyssey (even XT32) until he heard it on my Denon AVP-A1HDCI (Denon's now discontinued flagship surround sound processor).

Quote:
Should the game consoles just go right to the Pre-Pro?
Preferably, yes for reasons mentioned above.
Quote:
I need some way to switch HDMI - and get HDMI audio out for the game consoles, possibly a game PC (too noisy to use as a server) so that has to be the pre-pro.
The BDP-10x players have 2 HDMI inputs, though that probably isn't enough to handle all of your sources. If you don't want a receiver or pre-pro, you could put a HDMI switch between your sources and one of the HDMI inputs on the Oppo.

Hopefully this helped more than create an even longer list of questions for you.
post #746 of 1153 Unread 08-26-2014, 07:19 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I got a question if I may.

setup for TV and Blue Ray Denon 4311 via HDMI to TV and Denon HDMI to OPPO 105 HDMI input
set up for 2 chl audio: OPPO analog out to Denon AVR on pure direct

? If I run Denon 4311 HDMI to the OPPO 105 HDMI does the OPPO decode audio to reduce lip sync ?

Is there a better way for my setup's
post #747 of 1153 Unread 08-26-2014, 05:24 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
That helps a bunch.

Does the 105D have bass management? If I go with a HT bypass then I'll still want to not feed the bookshelf fronts with a full signal - the sub has it's own crossovers so...

Thanks!
post #748 of 1153 Unread 08-26-2014, 06:01 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Quote:
That helps a bunch.

Does the 105D have bass management? If I go with a HT bypass then I'll still want to not feed the bookshelf fronts with a full signal - the sub has it's own crossovers so...
Yes. It's not as advanced in terms of configuration options as many AVR's and surround sound processors, but should be plenty adequate for your needs.
post #749 of 1153 Unread 08-28-2014, 04:18 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Ok bear with me as I ask questions that I'm sure the answers are in the manual or on the 25 pages I've just read.
Does the 105D up convert to 1080p. I'm watching programming from Verizon Fios. I know the best they do is 1080I but my Sony 65x900a shows 1080P. I'm running the cable box thru the 105D. Just have about two hours experience on my new 105D since it was delivered today. I read the entire manual on line last night.
The video is something everyone should be able to experience and imputting a turntable thru coax, Sounds like my old Macintosh systems of the late Seventies.

That being said, Im missing lots of capabilities of this system because of trying to drink thru the fire hose, So, does it up convert to 1080P?

Thanks
Jerry
post #750 of 1153 Unread 08-28-2014, 04:27 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked: 1041
^ Yes, the OPPO can de-interlace 1080i content to 1080p output. You can control what the player sends out with the Resolution setting. But understand that if you have a 1080p display, and send 1080i to it, then the display has to de-interlace that input to 1080p ANYWAY before it can light up the pixels.

The reason to have the FIOS box output 1080i is that video processing in set top boxes like that is generally godawful. So you tell the box to not do anything -- to output the video format that's actually coming in for whatever program you are watching.

The OPPO does a fine job of de-interlacing 1080i content to 1080p output, so there's no problem letting the OPPO do that job
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103d Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Darbee Edition , Oppo Digital Inc Bdp 105
Gear in this thread - 103d by PriceGrabber.com