Official OPPO BDP-105D Owner's Thread - Page 26 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #751 of 1511 Old 08-28-2014, 03:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I guess I'm now an official owner - although it will be awhile before I get the unit - I just placed an order with Modwright for a BDP-105D with Tube and rail mods.

Most of the Sources are finalized

Modwright Oppo BDP-105D
Vpi Super Scoutmaster / Shelter 510 -> Linn Phono Preamp
Magnum Dynalab FT-101A Tuner

Noise Makers
XBox 360
Gaming PC

Still need to pick what's going to feed the FLAC/DSD to the Oppo
Also need to pick the pre-amp but leaning toward the Parasound P5 as being sufficiently transparent to not mess with the sources.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 1511 Old 08-28-2014, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks Bob;

I'll tell Fios to relax and see what I get,

Thanks for sharing.

Jerry
post #753 of 1511 Old 08-28-2014, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Official OPPO BDP-105D Owner's Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrFlight View Post
Thanks Bob;

I'll tell Fios to relax and see what I get,

Thanks for sharing.

Jerry

FIOS DVR's can output "native" broadcast resolution. That's what you ultimately want to be sending to your 105D, so it will be the sole up-converter/de-interlac'er of your video stream. To set "native" resolution on your fios dvr, you'll have to go into your dvr's service menu. To do that, press Power> OK> Menu in succession on your fios DVR's remote. Cursor down to "YPbPr Output" and Cursor right to "Native". Power unit off with remote.
post #754 of 1511 Old 08-28-2014, 10:54 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
I'm trying to decide whether to purchase multi-channel or stereo DSD tracks. Does the 105D properly downmix mch DSD when using the dedicated stereo output? If so, mch is the way to go. I can listen in mch across HDMI to my Yamaha CX-A5000 or stereo direct to my Krell. Thanks for any hints.
post #755 of 1511 Old 08-29-2014, 06:30 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked: 1188
^ It will down-mix multi-channel DSD if and only if you have SACD Output set to PCM.

However, a purpose built Stereo track may sound better than a down-mixed multi-channel track depending on how the sound engineer constructed it.
--Bob
post #756 of 1511 Old 08-29-2014, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by sddawson View Post
I'm trying to decide whether to purchase multi-channel or stereo DSD tracks. Does the 105D properly downmix mch DSD when using the dedicated stereo output? If so, mch is the way to go. I can listen in mch across HDMI to my Yamaha CX-A5000 or stereo direct to my Krell. Thanks for any hints.
If you look around, you might be able to find the tracks available in both formats as a combo pack. It may be different for downloads, but when you buy SACD/Pure Audio Blu-rays in physical form, they usually give you both stereo and multichannel. Many also include a free download of at least one format as well.
post #757 of 1511 Old 08-29-2014, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyoAJB View Post
If you look around, you might be able to find the tracks available in both formats as a combo pack. It may be different for downloads, but when you buy SACD/Pure Audio Blu-rays in physical form, they usually give you both stereo and multichannel. Many also include a free download of at least one format as well.
Unfortunately, the ones I'm looking to buy initially have separate pricing for stereo and mch
post #758 of 1511 Old 08-29-2014, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ It will down-mix multi-channel DSD if and only if you have SACD Output set to PCM.

However, a purpose built Stereo track may sound better than a down-mixed multi-channel track depending on how the sound engineer constructed it.
--Bob
Oh that's a shame. I have SACD set to DSD for output to HDMI, and it would be a pain to have to keep changing it! So with it set to DSD, only left and right main channels would go to the dedicated stereo out, the other channels being ignored?
post #759 of 1511 Old 08-29-2014, 03:07 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ Correct. No audio processing of any sort can happen while DSD-Direct-to-Analog Conversion is engaged.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #760 of 1511 Old 08-29-2014, 03:54 PM

Quote:
^ Correct. No audio processing of any sort can happen while DSD-Direct-to-Analog Conversion is engaged.
--Bob
Yes, of course, now I think about it! To downmix, it would have to convert to PCM. So I have a decision to make about which files to purchase...
post #761 of 1511 Old 09-01-2014, 02:23 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 11
A horsepower question. Most of my video is saved to my NAS with these rough characteristics:

Format : Matroska
Format version : Version 4 / Version 2
File size : 1.52 GiB
Overall bit rate : 5 164 Kbps

Bit rate : 4 678 Kbps
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.094
Stream size : 1.38 GiB (91%)

Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 384 Kbps
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth : 16 bits
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 116 MiB (7%)

My present HTPC can no longer play these files smoothly, but the 720's are OK. I have to use my notebook if I want to play 3D Blueray .iso's I have backed up to my NAS as they are unplayable on my HTPC. I want to play these types of files direct from my NAS (wired Ethernet the entire length), and have the 105D do all the work of picture creation. Does anyone here do this? Is the Silicon inside the 105D up to this task?

Acer Revo RL100 HTPC Win7 64;1.3Hz Athlon II Neo K325 Dual Core;4GB 1,066MHz DDR3;512MB (shared) Nvidia GeForce GT9400 (Ion) OR Oppo 105D>Panasonic P50ST60.
Audio: Oppo 105D>Linn 5125>Aktiv Katans(K400 and Linn silver RCA), OR Optical out from Oppo>Vizio S4251w-B4 5.1
Synology 215j, Asus N66U router

Last edited by wekya; 09-04-2014 at 12:29 AM.
post #762 of 1511 Old 09-05-2014, 06:14 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
So I bought the 105D

Hi Folks,

Great to be here and part of the 105D owners community. Right out of the box its awesome. I was using a PS3 for streaming and BD play back and I can right away tell the difference. I mainly bought it to replace of Rega Apollo CD player and my PS3 streaming device and it's awesome, the CD play back is just as good as the Rega. I've had is for about 3 weeks now and noticed that a few times the player froze. I was not able to interact with it with the buttons on the front or the remote. I have to power down the player and turn it back on. Also any one here an expert on setting up J river 19 through a lap top to the 105D USB DAC section?

Thanks.

PS as soon as i bought it I upgraded the firmware to the latest one.
post #763 of 1511 Old 09-05-2014, 06:23 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 1244 Post(s)
Liked: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Northrop View Post
I've had is for about 3 weeks now and noticed that a few times the player froze.
Welcome to AVSForum.

How were you using it when the player froze? CD, DVD, Blu-ray, local media files, digital input, DLNA, SMB, network application?

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #764 of 1511 Old 09-05-2014, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Northrop View Post
Hi Folks,

Great to be here and part of the 105D owners community. Right out of the box its awesome. I was using a PS3 for streaming and BD play back and I can right away tell the difference. I mainly bought it to replace of Rega Apollo CD player and my PS3 streaming device and it's awesome, the CD play back is just as good as the Rega. I've had is for about 3 weeks now and noticed that a few times the player froze. I was not able to interact with it with the buttons on the front or the remote. I have to power down the player and turn it back on. Also any one here an expert on setting up J river 19 through a lap top to the 105D USB DAC section?

Thanks.

PS as soon as i bought it I upgraded the firmware to the latest one.
I've experienced (and read about) a few freeze issues on the 105D. One situation is when I am playing hi-rez files off a USB drive and then try to change inputs from "music" to HDMI back where my Directv is plugged in. Just freezes and the only remedy is the power down/up. No freezes ever when playing music, watching blu-rays, or watching Directv...only when trying to move between sources. Seems like it loses the handshake when I'm not using HDMI for a while (hi-rez is playing through dedicated analog outs) and then switch back to an HDMI source. Other than that, this device is a dream!

McIntosh MX121. McIntosh MC205. PS Audio DirectStream DAC. Bryston Model T, Mini-T Center. Focal Electra IC 1002 In-Ceiling Surrounds. Paradigm Studio Sub 15. Oppo BDP-105D. Roku XS. Roku 3. Apple TV(3). "Silenzio" EA-2 Media Server (pc-based). DirecTV. Panasonic TC-P65VT50. Samsung UN40FH6030F, URC MX-780.
My current SACD list
post #765 of 1511 Old 09-05-2014, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Question?

Hello Everyone,
New owner (OPPO 105d) with a question. I might have missed this in the owner manual, but...

The initial and primary use in my system will be as an audio player. I will be using the balanced stereo outs into my audio system pre-amp (video use via HDMI will come later). Am I correct in assuming that the stereo outs by-pass the audio set-up menu? Specifically, the section dealing with speaker size, seating position distance, crossover point, etc.? Is this menu only for HDMI connections or the dedicated surround audio outs into a surround receiver?

If it is enabled with the stereo outs how do I go about defeating the crossover point? I don't want to limit my full range stereo only main speakers to 40hz - which appears to be the best (and only) option to limit the damage.
Thanks
post #766 of 1511 Old 09-05-2014, 06:58 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ Set Audio Processing > Stereo Signal to DOWN-MIXED STEREO and the Dedicated Stereo Analog outputs will function independent of things like the Crossover processing for the multi-channel Analog outputs.

I.E., the Dedicated Stereo RCA and XLR outputs will be treated as "Large".

The Speaker Configuration settings are for the multi-channel Analog RCA outputs.
--Bob
post #767 of 1511 Old 09-06-2014, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Question for all the people here who really know the technical capabilities of the 105D. I am wondering if the player has the capability to create music playlists? I have a sizable collection of ripped music files on my computer. I would like to copy all of my music files onto a USB hard drive and plug that into one of the USB ports on the Oppo. But then I would like to be able to create playlists on the Oppo. Is this possible?

I already have my PC connected to the player, but it is a bit of an inconvenience to have to start a playlist on the PC (which is in a different room) in order to use the PC as a music server.

Packing a lot of sound into a small room.
268 square feet/2144 cubic feet
7.2: 9 speakers and 2 subwoofers.
post #768 of 1511 Old 09-06-2014, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
^ Set Audio Processing > Stereo Signal to DOWN-MIXED STEREO and the Dedicated Stereo Analog outputs will function independent of things like the Crossover processing for the multi-channel Analog outputs.

I.E., the Dedicated Stereo RCA and XLR outputs will be treated as "Large".

The Speaker Configuration settings are for the multi-channel Analog RCA outputs.
--Bob
Thanks!
I'll go back into the menu and make the changes.
Russ
post #769 of 1511 Old 09-07-2014, 08:36 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by They_call_me_Roto View Post
Question for all the people here who really know the technical capabilities of the 105D. I am wondering if the player has the capability to create music playlists? I have a sizable collection of ripped music files on my computer. I would like to copy all of my music files onto a USB hard drive and plug that into one of the USB ports on the Oppo. But then I would like to be able to create playlists on the Oppo. Is this possible?

I already have my PC connected to the player, but it is a bit of an inconvenience to have to start a playlist on the PC (which is in a different room) in order to use the PC as a music server.
The player has a simple Playlist functionality that can be accessed by pressing the Option button while playing a track from attached storage (and also SMB server I believe). But the Playlist can not be saved, nor can you have multiple Playlists.

However, the Player also has CUE file support which is a file that refers to the individual track files you want to play. Check that out. There's s thread here on CUE file support that might be helpful:

Oppo BDP-103/105 Cue Files/Gapless playback support

NOTE: CUE file support is a work in progress, and support for a CUE file referencing multiple track files (as opposed to Cue points within a single, combined, multi-track file) is still being improved.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #770 of 1511 Old 09-07-2014, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by They_call_me_Roto View Post

The usual solution for PC playback in this situation would be to use a remote control to talk to the PC. There are Android and iOS apps to do this that work with some media software.

Jim Hillegass / JRiver Media Center
jriver.com or Owners Thread at AVSForum
post #771 of 1511 Old 09-07-2014, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
DSD and PCM

I noticed something the other day and was wondering if anyone might know why this happens. I have an Oppo 105D hooked up to a conrad-johnson CA200 integrated amp. When I have the SACD output set to DSD and play .DSF files from an external hard drive or solid state drive, the Oppo will replay the files as DSD. However, if I set the Oppo to Auto under SACD playback it invariably converts the files to PCM and I'll see DSD to PCM on screen. Why is this happening?

Thanks in advance.
post #772 of 1511 Old 09-07-2014, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Appierto View Post
I noticed something the other day and was wondering if anyone might know why this happens. I have an Oppo 105D hooked up to a conrad-johnson CA200 integrated amp. When I have the SACD output set to DSD and play .DSF files from an external hard drive or solid state drive, the Oppo will replay the files as DSD. However, if I set the Oppo to Auto under SACD playback it invariably converts the files to PCM and I'll see DSD to PCM on screen. Why is this happening?

Thanks in advance.

You have an hdmi connection active that won't accept a DSD stream. The 10x players can't do DSD and PCM at the same time, so when the device at the other end of the hdmi connector says it can't receive DSD streams, the Oppo converts to PCM, when "SACD Output" is set to "Auto". Setting "SACD Output" to DSD forces your 105D to not convert to PCM, and will mute output to any active hdmi connections on hdmi 1/2 outputs which can't decode DSD streams.
mhobart likes this.
post #773 of 1511 Old 09-07-2014, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
That was exactly it, thank you Dan! I noticed that I had HDMI Audio set to On. Once I turned it to Off and SACD Output to Auto it began to play .DSF and .DFF files as DSD.

Thank you so much. Another mystery solved.
mhobart likes this.
post #774 of 1511 Old 09-07-2014, 05:41 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello guys. I have recently bought an oppo bdp-105D and I am experience some problems with lipsync when I am watching tv. I have connected my tv, which is a Pioneer krp 600A using an optical cable from the tv to the oppo' optical input. I have tried change sound settings on the oppo player without any luck. Please help me, this issue drives me crazy.
post #775 of 1511 Old 09-07-2014, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaskebent View Post
Hello guys. I have recently bought an oppo bdp-105D and I am experience some problems with lipsync when I am watching tv. I have connected my tv, which is a Pioneer krp 600A using an optical cable from the tv to the oppo' optical input. I have tried change sound settings on the oppo player without any luck. Please help me, this issue drives me crazy.
Help me understand your connections (audio/video) of your equipment a little better. What component is your source for video when you use your tv's optical output to your 105D's optical input? And what 105D audio outputs are you using (analog out or hdmi out to an AVR ??) The "A/V sync" feature on the 105D affects all its outputs. So, you have tried adjusting this setting without much luck?
post #776 of 1511 Old 09-08-2014, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post
Help me understand your connections (audio/video) of your equipment a little better. What component is your source for video when you use your tv's optical output to your 105D's optical input? And what 105D audio outputs are you using (analog out or hdmi out to an AVR ??) The "A/V sync" feature on the 105D affects all its outputs. So, you have tried adjusting this setting without much luck?
Hello Dan F.

My tv (Pioneer krp 600A) is getting airborne tv signal using its DVB-T tuner and here the tv does its own picture treatment. From the tv' mediabox I have connected an optical cable from "optical output" which is connected to the oppo' optical input. From the Oppo' stereo analog phono output I have directly connected a Rotel power amplifier. I am using the volume control which is build in the Oppo.

I have tried to use the Oppo' "A/V sync" without any improvement.

I hope this makes sense.
post #777 of 1511 Old 09-08-2014, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hello Dan F.

My tv (Pioneer krp 600A) is getting airborne tv signal using its DVB-T tuner and here the tv does its own picture treatment. From the tv' mediabox I have connected an optical cable from "optical output" which is connected to the oppo' optical input. From the Oppo' stereo analog phono output I have directly connected a Rotel power amplifier. I am using the volume control which is build in the Oppo.

I have tried to use the Oppo' "A/V sync" without any improvement.

I hope this makes sense.

What if you tried playing a movie (blu-ray disk) from your 105 to your tv? Are you hearing/seeing any sync issues? As for optical output from your tv, my Samsung plasma tv has an optical output also, but it has its own sync control. I can adjust it from the tv. Does your Pioneer have such a control?
post #778 of 1511 Old 09-08-2014, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post
What if you tried playing a movie (blu-ray disk) from your 105 to your tv? Are you hearing/seeing any sync issues? As for optical output from your tv, my Samsung plasma tv has an optical output also, but it has its own sync control. I can adjust it from the tv. Does your Pioneer have such a control?
I have not noticed any synchronization on picture and sound on either bluray or netflix. My tv has only one option for digital sound out and its optical and here you can only toggle between "PCM out" and "dolby digital out" in the tv' interface. I have tried both with no improvement.

Further more I can inform that my oppo is an OPPO BDP-105D which is region free on bluray and dvd.
post #779 of 1511 Old 09-08-2014, 02:53 PM

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Further more I can inform that my oppo is an OPPO BDP-105D which is region free on bluray and dvd.
What part of the world do you live in? The Oppo players here in the US are not region free for either Blu Ray or DVD.

Packing a lot of sound into a small room.
268 square feet/2144 cubic feet
7.2: 9 speakers and 2 subwoofers.
post #780 of 1511 Old 09-08-2014, 03:42 PM

I live in Europe.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103d Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Darbee Edition , Oppo Digital Inc Bdp 105
Gear in this thread - 103d by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page