post #811 of 896 Old 09-20-2014, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
The main attraction of the 105/105D is the inclusion of the high end Sabre DACs for analog audio.
If you are only going to use HDMI for all your audio, then it wouldn't be a worthwhile upgrade.
You do also have the features of the 2-CH Asynchronous USB input, as well as SPDIF inputs. Plus there is the built in headphone amp.
Those might be worth some value to you also, but again the cost difference is mostly associated with the DACs for analog audio output.
When I changed my setup to have my Oppo next to my gear - I went from HDMI out for sound to having the ability to use XLR so I sold my 103 and got a 105 for that very reason

Reggie
Family Room:70" Sharp Elite/Marantz AV8801/MM8801/GoldenEar:Triton Ones (superseding Triton 2s), SuperCenter XL center channel, and SuperSat 60 surrounds/Oppo BDP-105/Directv Genie/ HP Notebook
Basement: 60" Sony SXRD KDS-60A2000/Marantz AV8003/Marantz MM8003/PSB Stratus Gold Front,Center,Left, Surrounds
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 896 Old 09-23-2014, 08:47 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am having some difficulty in installing the USB DAC driver for my new BDP-105D. I am using a PC (Windows 7). The Setup program cannot see the Oppo (although the PC can see the Oppo and the Oppo can see the PC’s music and video files). The Oppo is connected to the PC by both HDMI and USB 2 cables. I continue to get the following message:

“Setup requires that the device is plugged in. Please connect the device you want to install and make sure it is turned on. If your device is currently connected, please unplug and replug it”.

Complying with this instruction makes no difference.

Has anyone experienced a similar problem?
post #813 of 896 Old 09-23-2014, 09:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycia View Post
I am having some difficulty in installing the USB DAC driver for my new BDP-105D. I am using a PC (Windows 7). The Setup program cannot see the Oppo (although the PC can see the Oppo and the Oppo can see the PC’s music and video files). The Oppo is connected to the PC by both HDMI and USB 2 cables. I continue to get the following message:

“Setup requires that the device is plugged in. Please connect the device you want to install and make sure it is turned on. If your device is currently connected, please unplug and replug it”.

I am having the exact same problem. Have tried 3 different USB cables and they all have the same issue.
I have received advice that I should try a particular cable since the 105 players seem to be very finicky about the cable used.
All the cables I tried were of the high speed variety, but still no go.
The one I ordered from Amazon is still stuck in their "intentionally delayed for those who refuse to pay for prime shipping" department.
(been 5 days since I ordered it, grrr...) Once it does FINALLY get here, I will try to report back if it worked or not.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #814 of 896 Old 09-23-2014, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Why not use the Internet connection
post #815 of 896 Old 09-24-2014, 12:38 AM

Quote:
I am having the exact same problem. Have tried 3 different USB cables and they all have the same issue.
I have received advice that I should try a particular cable since the 105 players seem to be very finicky about the cable used.
The one I ordered from Amazon is still stuck in their "intentionally delayed for those who refuse to pay for prime shipping" department.
(been 5 days since I ordered it, grrr...) Once it does FINALLY get here, I will try to report back if it worked or not.

Thank you for your reply.

I have swapped cables back and forth without result so I look forward to hearing how your new acquisition performs.
post #816 of 896 Old 09-24-2014, 12:52 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Hi,
I have a oppop 105 player a year ago that was connected to a DAC using HDMI-2 and TV via HDMi-1. I bought a pioneer avr and conencted the HDMI-1 to amp the oppo starts to experience a strange behaviour sometimes i get no sound from HDMI only video, all other sources were good. This happens with pcm or bitstream, i dont have a workaround that works all the time.
Last night a did a factory reset a appears to be stable. There are know issues with HDMI in Oppo?

Regards,

Kocl
post #817 of 896 Old 09-24-2014, 05:17 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kocl View Post
Hi,
I have a oppop 105 player a year ago that was connected to a DAC using HDMI-2 and TV via HDMi-1. I bought a pioneer avr and conencted the HDMI-1 to amp the oppo starts to experience a strange behaviour sometimes i get no sound from HDMI only video, all other sources were good. This happens with pcm or bitstream, i dont have a workaround that works all the time.
Last night a did a factory reset a appears to be stable. There are know issues with HDMI in Oppo?

Regards,
Do you still have both HDMI outputs connected? When both HDMI outputs are "live", and with Split A/V set, then audio is muted on the HDMI 1 output. This allows the audio handshake on the HDMI 2 output to complete without regard to any limitations on what audio formats are accepted by the device you have connected to the HDMI 1 output.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #818 of 896 Old 09-24-2014, 05:20 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

Please give OPPO Technical Support a call and see if they can sort this out with you. There may be a new bug here. It's not clear yet. Or possibly some recent Windows update is getting in the way.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #819 of 896 Old 09-24-2014, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Do you still have both HDMI outputs connected? When both HDMI outputs are "live", and with Split A/V set, then audio is muted on the HDMI 1 output. This allows the audio handshake on the HDMI 2 output to complete without regard to any limitations on what audio formats are accepted by the device you have connected to the HDMI 1 output.
--Bob
Actualy i only have HDMI1 connected in Split A/V Mode.
If i understand correct if HDMI 2 is connected to a power off device, the handshake is not done and there is no sound.
I will try to connect HDMI2 again and power on to see if it works.

Kocl
post #820 of 896 Old 09-24-2014, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kocl View Post
Actualy i only have HDMI1 connected in Split A/V Mode.
If i understand correct if HDMI 2 is connected to a power off device, the handshake is not done and there is no sound.
I will try to connect HDMI2 again and power on to see if it works.
If you "only have HDMI1 connected in Split A/V Mode" then technically you're not in Split A/V mode. The menu selection between Dual Output and Split A/V only becomes active if both HDMI outputs are connected. When only I output is connected then that output, whichever one it is, sends both video and audio output.

Split A/V only works one way. Both outputs need to be connected and active and then video only is output via HDMI1 and audio via HDMI 2. You cannot reverse those video and audio assignments.
post #821 of 896 Old 09-24-2014, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi, I've had the Oppo 105D for a few weeks now and I'm running into some issues with A/V lip sync issues. I've listed overall cons and pros so far below.

Cons
1) Optical in audio and HDMI ARC (Audio Return Channel) are both delayed, and the -100 ms correction does not suffice. They are delayed approximately the same, and I've compared it to the optical in on my McIntosh MDA-1000 dac which matches my tv perfectly. So I feel pretty confident it is the Oppo.
2) While trying to correct lip sync issues I have to adjust the delay on each source. I wish each delay could be remembered per source.
3) When running the Oppo as a processor and preamp, I have to turn up the volume to 90 to get "you're there" feeling. This was about 50 (out of 100) for my previous preamp.

Pros:
1) It is a fantastic transport. Whether from a CD, network, usb drive, or usb dac, it sounds fantastic when coax'ed over to the MDA-1000. Much better than using optical in from my macbook pro.
2) The onboard dacs and analog outs are quite good. Almost, almost as good as the MDA-1000 for a more complicated box at a 1/4 the price.
3) Picture is fantastic. Much better than the blu ray player in my xbox one.

The cons are big enough to eliminate me using it as a surround sound processor, which is a biggie. I'm either going to return it or get the 103D if I can't get the ARC to work.
post #822 of 896 Old 09-24-2014, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonstaChuck View Post
Hi, I've had the Oppo 105D for a few weeks now and I'm running into some issues with A/V lip sync issues. I've listed overall cons and pros so far below.

Cons
1) Optical in audio and HDMI ARC (Audio Return Channel) are both delayed, and the -100 ms correction does not suffice. They are delayed approximately the same, and I've compared it to the optical in on my McIntosh MDA-1000 dac which matches my tv perfectly. So I feel pretty confident it is the Oppo.
2) While trying to correct lip sync issues I have to adjust the delay on each source. I wish each delay could be remembered per source.
3) When running the Oppo as a processor and preamp, I have to turn up the volume to 90 to get "you're there" feeling. This was about 50 (out of 100) for my previous preamp.

Pros:
1) It is a fantastic transport. Whether from a CD, network, usb drive, or usb dac, it sounds fantastic when coax'ed over to the MDA-1000. Much better than using optical in from my macbook pro.
2) The onboard dacs and analog outs are quite good. Almost, almost as good as the MDA-1000 for a more complicated box at a 1/4 the price.
3) Picture is fantastic. Much better than the blu ray player in my xbox one.

The cons are big enough to eliminate me using it as a surround sound processor, which is a biggie. I'm either going to return it or get the 103D if I can't get the ARC to work.
Have you been in contact with Oppo about your issues? They are almost always extremely helpful in solving problems.

post #823 of 896 Old 09-25-2014, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post
Have you been in contact with Oppo about your issues? They are almost always extremely helpful in solving problems.
Yup, I went through multiple firmwares and the latest is that they'll try to reproduce it in house and notify me of improvements. I'm just worried it won't be taken care of before my 30 day return policy runs out.
post #824 of 896 Old 09-25-2014, 06:38 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi Oppo 105D users @JazzGuyy , I´m not that sure, they are very quick in response but my problems are still the same, I got a feeling to received typical marketing response without usable actions for enduser - customer.

I purchased Oppo 105D from 2 reasons:
• To be used as universal audio player of all my audio records (alac, dsd, dxd, sacd, cd), preamp, asynchrony USB DAC, connected to endpower ampf/speakers, physical disc or computing file
• To be used as player of all my video/photos records (old, new, private and commercial too of course), physical disc or computing file

Some technical details becloud complete impression of great technical concept of OPPO 105D, I am sure some of them could be probably solved due to software improvement and Oppo settings, pls consider my thoughts – that are the same thoughts I read in diverse forums/blogs of many Oppo user too!

1. It will be nice and great support if Oppo can add suport of video codecs in next firmware: jpeg (avi and mov-apple), dv (avi), wvp2 (wmv),
I have almost 70GB of diverse privat video files done with panasonic hdmi cameras in last 7 year, and do not think to convert them all becasue universal player does not want to implement support of video codes from apple and microsoft.
unsolved by Oppo

2. Setting of source on the power start "USB B Asych DAC
Present given options in setting of source are just listed as “Bluray” and “last one used”.
As per Oppo response, Oppo 105D is not designed for auto sensing ports (actually why not it would be great features isn´t).
Hi-fi Oppo user (USB B asych DAC) will appreciate if Oppo can add setting option into "source on the power start" as "USB B asych DAC) with next firmware
Especially when the kids used Oppo for watching of some moves, and myself started Oppo again later on with Jriver/remote per Ipad to get a last DSD of Chopin after hard working day (like today), and there is no soundJ on speakers – Oppo source has to be switched again - means go to Tv, or go with Oppo remote or much worse use Oppo app for tablet
I think it would be nice Oppo feature for many user as well.
unsolved by Oppo

3. Starting of Oppo starting due to HTPC via lan or USB-B
Basically I am using Jriver20 with Jremote on Ipad, this working very nice, I can select many zones (DSD, red book, etc.), I do not have a problem with it (setting of zones/player/filters) and remote devices (tablets, remote for Oppo, remote for ampf, remote for TV, etc.) - just there are too many of them in use,
But my wife (50 years old, teacher, want to have technical things simple and “on one button”, my kids – new Generation who does not know the world before mobiles and tablets, and internets…
when they have to control Oppo with tablet - Jriver, and app remote controller for Oppo start up (because “Mediacontroll app is ugly and not cool”?!), it is going to be fiasco
Well, I am looking for simple solution to start up of Oppo and woring with them, just per one button push (in case of playing of music, for the movies TV has to be used, there is autoplay of DVD or BD etc., CEC HDMI for TV…),
I can start up Oppo by Mediacontrol HD, but I can’t use this app for any music managing/filtering/metadata, etc….
I can start up Oppo by Oppo remote control, but again don´t want to use TV for browsing of my music files, etc.
RS232 port can not be used that Oppo has to be under power and this connection way is a complicated and slow (command, response, etc.)
I can start up Oppo by app of remote control of Phillips using Ipad, just with “music files from shared bibliothek to be sent to play via Oppo”,
I can see with some network tools, that Oppo is online in my network (setting “quick start”), but I cannot make WOL sending packages (MAC, IP static, open ports 436 and 13000), Oppo 105D does not give any reaction, and this could be nice solution for starting of Oppo together with HTPC (bath file with cmd command in autostart)
W7 self caf not find Oppo 105 inmy network, funny,
I tried to contact Oppo 105D network card (by the way Oppo design self made), per bath and send WOL packages over network, it does not work,
I tried to start Oppo 105D via Jremote adding as fake "newserver" with MAC and static IP adress, 436 port, Oppo 105D is onlien but can not be started on this was, I have a contact with Jremote designer about this issue and hope it can be solved oer firmware improvement of Jremote start up posibiliy (master erver Jriver and sub-device as player in this case Oppo 105D)
I thought about using of Roomie controlling system, but read in some forums about difficulties of implementation and using of system Roomie with Oppo too (can not be recognized, wol, etc.)

Is it Oppo able to accept WOL packages?
How can I start up Oppo direct from network (bath file)?
Which port has to be used, 436 or some other?

Any advice, suggestion to solve combined start up of media source (HTPC, NAS) and Oppo 105D (Optimal per Master button on the Jremote app as I am doing know with my HTPC- standby-Jremote-Jriver-wol-start up

4. Oppo 105D as preampf - triggering of Endpower ampf

As we know, triggering is not included in Oppo 105D, why not ?! I can not explain, and Oppo 105D will be promoted as preampf device still, well.
I asked Oppo about which kind of USB ports have been installed in Oppo 105D with goal to build DIY trigger from 5V USB A,
There are three kinds of USB port dictated by the current specs: a standard downstream port, a charging downstream port, and a dedicated charging port. The first two can be found on each computer (and should be labeled as such), and the third kind applies to “dumb” wall chargers. In the USB 1.0 and 2.0 specs, a standard downstream port is capable of delivering up to 500mA (0.5A); in USB3.0,it moves up to 900mA (0.9A). The charging downstream and dedicated charging ports provide up to 1500mA (1.5A).

Which one USB port is installed into Oppo, or how many mA will be provided be USB B port (5V, are they constant and available in stand by too)?

As per Oppo response, they do not have interest to built some kind of simple device (accessories) for simple customer purchase, used as trigger, Ok I have to accept it.
In the mean time I found out that some of endpower apmf Emotiva users solved this issue on very simple way,
pls see emotivalounge.proboards.com/thread/38545?page=1&scrollTo=665645

Pls for opinion how did you solve it (starting of Oppo and ampf per "one button" - triggering)
unsolved by Oppo
solved by user self

5. DSD Native
I can play DSD64 and 128 from my HTPC/Jriver with DoP (audio Jriver path is 174 and 385) via USB B DAC/Oppo 105D, and get visual info on TV screen “DSD” 2.0
I can play DSD64 from my SSD connected to USB-A (browsing with Oppo remote controll per TV) and via DLNA Jriver to Oppo, I hope done without any conversion DoP, visual info on Oppo small screen is "SACD" and on TV is given as "DSD" only, I do not know which sampling rate of DSD file will be transferred from HTPC/Jriver to Oppo - no audio path information arevgiven by Jriver in this case.
But I hope it is a native transfer of DSD to oppo.
I am sure that native playing of DSD is not hardware issue, we can see due to using of USB-A port for that purpose, but have to browse per TV and use remote control…it is not satisfied practice
Jriver can play native DSD to Oppo, no issue
So what are the reason on non possibility to use USB B asych DAC connectedf to HTPC for native DSD playing, is that a driver?
Asio 2.2 driver can support native DSD as well,
unsolved by Oppo

Does somebody have some solution or at least explanation why USB-B DAC can not be used on same way (DSD native) as USB-A

6. Information improvement (meta Data, files data)
Unfortunately tis kind if information are not listed as desired: eg showing of sampling rate delivered to Oppo DAC, kind of files (eg ALAC, mp3, DXD etc.), output volume db - actually very usefull for direct contact into endopower ampf
Some of infos can be observed only per TV

Can Oppo small screen be used for this kind of information and how?

7. SMB via Oppo, password, user in W7, nonsense
I am still fighting with setting and using of SMB via Oppo, it doesn not work, I do not use any password or user on my computer

Is there any solution?

8. Media controll HD app for apple
to be honest, I took a look app designed from or just for Yamaha, Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, etc.; and almost cry, what did Oppo provide as remote controll app for managing of Oppo 105D,
It is actually a shame,
Mediacontroll HD app is unusefull tool (terrible GUI) in this age of app-design and technology.
DLNA via app was not included till End of Aug/2014?!, should be improved with new MC HD version by end of sommer - so Oppo.
Well it could be the last version of MC HD 3.x?? but it still cannot be found by iTune´s,
nevermind, I think this part can be easily improved - there are many young app designers outside waiting on such a chance

9. Volume remote knob as IR remote
Remote controll is nice to be done per app, but still is much better to have some volume knob for it,
Oppo 105D does not have any volume knob, although it will be designed as preampf - Sabre 32 volume control,
it means either using of app or IR remote controller, even one of them reflected technical perfomaces of Oppo 105D self, more s that, this part of Oppo is real "ballast".
I am looking for such of IR volume remote controll ( to buy, or DIY), see devialet device below, en.devialet.com/design-en

There is an project simmilar to this product, but it is still not realy published,
runawaybrainz.blogspot.ae/2014/08/uvolume-t-32-osh-park-pcb-arrival.html

I do not think it would be a hard job to create this product from Oppo´s side self, and I am sure many of us would purchased this device too, but let us see who will have a succes,

I am sorry for this wall of text, I was waiting a last couple of months to get some support of regarding my problems, without any solution and decided to go to forum on the end of day,
Best Regards and Many Thanks
AP
lanping09 likes this.
post #825 of 896 Old 09-25-2014, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Papak Stari, the Oppo is not designed as a preamp. The Oppo is still primarily designed as a disc player. All of the other many functions that have been added to it are bonuses beyond this primary use. It can be used as a preamp but only in a very limited way. Oppo does not promote it as a preamp but some (many?) users do. Oppo is very clear about its limitations as a preamp. As you know, it has limited switching capabilities and inputs. There are many preamp functions it just doesn't and couldn't have: no phono input, RCA jack inputs, volume knob, etc. It will never have the full functionality of a dedicated preamp. It isn't designed for that. You are looking for a do-everything product; I don't believe Oppo or anyone else makes such a product.

Some of the video formats you are looking for are very proprietary and I suspect this is why they are not supported by Oppo. It may be an issue around paying licensing fees that would drive up the price or that some of these formats are in such limited use that it isn't considered worth it to add them. One thing to know is that Oppo does not determine which video formats are supported. Support for formats is provided by the chip maker (in this case Silicon Image). Oppo has to get updates to the chip's firmware from Silicon Image. Oppo can ask them to support additional formats but there is no guarantee that they will add the support.

Many of the startup and remote control problems you are having can be solved with a good universal remote control or remote control app that can do macros that will handle all of the startup and switch to the proper input, etc. that you want. The Oppo remote is not a universal remote, nor does it support the macros needed to do what you want.

There is a new media control app either just out or coming very soon. It may meet more of your requirements. Since I don't use it, I can't comment on the new one.
Audiguy3 likes this.

Last edited by JazzGuyy; 09-25-2014 at 08:05 AM.
post #826 of 896 Old 09-25-2014, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 250
The BDP-105(D) is a disk/media player/USB DAC but as does any other device, it has its limitations.
It may not always be the ideal solution for your needs, that is not necessarily a problem with the device itself so IMO "Unsolved by Oppo" is not the proper characterization, at least in all of the cases you outlined.

I am not sure about many of your questions but the ones I can help with are below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papak Stari View Post

2. Setting of source on the power start "USB B Asych DAC
Present given options in setting of source are just listed as “Bluray” and “last one used”.
As per Oppo response, Oppo 105D is not designed for auto sensing ports (actually why not it would be great features isn´t).
Hi-fi Oppo user (USB B asych DAC) will appreciate if Oppo can add setting option into "source on the power start" as "USB B asych DAC) with next firmware
Especially when the kids used Oppo for watching of some moves, and myself started Oppo again later on with Jriver/remote per Ipad to get a last DSD of Chopin after hard working day (like today), and there is no soundJ on speakers – Oppo source has to be switched again - means go to Tv, or go with Oppo remote or much worse use Oppo app for tablet
I think it would be nice Oppo feature for many user as well.
unsolved by Oppo
Agreed. Selecting a specific power-on device would be a good addition.

Quote:

3. Starting of Oppo starting due to HTPC via lan or USB-B

Is it Oppo able to accept WOL packages?
How can I start up Oppo direct from network (bath file)?
Which port has to be used, 436 or some other?
No idea about WOL, but you can change the Standby Mode to Quick Start and the Media Control and Oppo Remote apps with power the device on and off.
It would be great if applications like JRemote could communicate with the BDP to provide power on and volume control but I do not know if this is something both companies are discussing.

Quote:

4. Oppo 105D as preampf - triggering of Endpower ampf
The 105D is not designed to be a preamp but it can be used as one but you can rig a trigger if receiving device is compatible.
I use the 105D as a trigger using the Rear USB2 port that provides 5 volts since the device will trigger off that voltage.
This can be done by wiring a USB cable to a trigger cable of the proper size. Diagrams are available online and you have to check the amplifier or device in question for the voltage and polarity requirements. The emotive ET-3 might help step up the voltage for devices that need 12 volts.

Quote:

5. DSD Native
I can play DSD64 and 128 from my HTPC/Jriver with DoP (audio Jriver path is 174 and 385) via USB B DAC/Oppo 105D, and get visual info on TV screen “DSD” 2.0
I can play DSD64 from my SSD connected to USB-A (browsing with Oppo remote controll per TV) and via DLNA Jriver to Oppo, I hope done without any conversion DoP, visual info on Oppo small screen is "SACD" and on TV is given as "DSD" only, I do not know which sampling rate of DSD file will be transferred from HTPC/Jriver to Oppo - no audio path information arevgiven by Jriver in this case.
But I hope it is a native transfer of DSD to oppo.
I am sure that native playing of DSD is not hardware issue, we can see due to using of USB-A port for that purpose, but have to browse per TV and use remote control…it is not satisfied practice
Jriver can play native DSD to Oppo, no issue
So what are the reason on non possibility to use USB B asych DAC connectedf to HTPC for native DSD playing, is that a driver?
Asio 2.2 driver can support native DSD as well,
unsolved by Oppo

Does somebody have some solution or at least explanation why USB-B DAC can not be used on same way (DSD native) as USB-A
The USB DAC is type B. The Type A can read storage devices.
There is nothing wrong with DSD DOP its just a bit-packing technique.
However, if you must have Native use the ASIO driver.

Quote:

8. Media controll HD app for apple
MediaControl 3.0 for Apple is coming but it takes more time to complete the Apple certification process.

- Rich
lanping09 likes this.

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #827 of 896 Old 09-25-2014, 08:28 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Some of the video formats you are looking for are very proprietary and I suspect this is why they are not supported by Oppo. It may be an issue around paying licensing fees that would drive up the price or that some of these formats are in such limited use that it isn't considered worth it to add them. One thing to know is that Oppo does not determine which video formats are supported. Support for formats is provided by the chip maker (in this case Silicon Image). Oppo has to get updates to the chip's firmware from Silicon Image. Oppo can ask them to support additional formats but there is no guarantee that they will add the support.
The gist of this is correct, but support for handling file formats comes from MediaTek (the SOC maker), not Silicon Image.
post #828 of 896 Old 09-25-2014, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
The gist of this is correct, but support for handling file formats comes from MediaTek (the SOC maker), not Silicon Image.
Sorry. I keep forgetting whose processor does what.

post #829 of 896 Old 09-25-2014, 11:12 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Please give OPPO Technical Support a call and see if they can sort this out with you. There may be a new bug here. It's not clear yet. Or possibly some recent Windows update is getting in the way.
--Bob
I am also having problems with the Asynchronous USB connection to my Macbook Pro. I got the trial version of Audirvana plus and it only plays through my Mac built in speakers. I have selected the USB audio input on the Oppo. There is nothing in my Mac system sound preferences showing an Oppo choice for output. I contacted Oppo and they gave me suggestions but nothing worked . I bet Bob can give me something to work with.
post #830 of 896 Old 09-25-2014, 11:19 AM

Quote:

Well, without Oppo, I plugged the hdmi cable into hdmi2, and voila. I notified Oppo and asked if there was a difference between the hdmi out 1 and 2. Yup, additional hardware. As in the Darbee hardware. I do not get Darbee out of hdmi 2, but I get audio without lip sync problems. I could have both hdmis going to my tv, but that seems silly. Am I wrong to think it should just work?
post #831 of 896 Old 09-25-2014, 01:43 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowy1939 View Post
I am also having problems with the Asynchronous USB connection to my Macbook Pro. I got the trial version of Audirvana plus and it only plays through my Mac built in speakers. I have selected the USB audio input on the Oppo. There is nothing in my Mac system sound preferences showing an Oppo choice for output. I contacted Oppo and they gave me suggestions but nothing worked . I bet Bob can give me something to work with.
Usually it shouldn't take anything more arcane than power cycling the Mac and the OPPO while that cable is connected.

Make sure you are using the right socket on the OPPO. The Asynchronous USB DAC Input is the square shaped socket on the back panel. Not one of the thin rectangular USB sockets used for attaching peripheral devices.
--Bob

post #832 of 896 Old 09-25-2014, 02:22 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks Bob, Oppo just gave me the fix. They had me go into the setup and change the Oppo to quick start and low and behold it fixed all my problems .

Thanks
post #833 of 896 Old 09-25-2014, 03:29 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
@ JazzGuyy
Appreciate your opinion, but in some points I cannot agree with you
Yes Oppo is not designed to replace standard pre-ampf (with a hunderts of digital inputs, filters, etc),
but he still implements in his bluray player concept:
2x 32bit DAC´s, 1x for dedicated stereo (RCA and XLR analog output), and 1x for 7.1 mch analog output
Sabre chip with 0,5 dB step volume control
Oppo provides more analog outputs as he provide digital inputs,
I agree that just 1x analog phono input would be a great issue, but maybe be for next one Oppo
Due to intentional implemented features (and not added benefits on main function as bdp), Oppo 105D provides a chance of reduction of digital pre-amp as separate device in audio chain, using of HTPC with Jriver as media source (DSP option with diverse filters is available too if somebody want to use it).
Oppo published usage of 105D as pre-amp, just go to and look for pdf file on oppo-uk
Connecting OPPO BDP-105EU directly to a power amplifier or active speakers
Otherwise I would prefer to either keep my old analog device preamp+poweramp; or to use pasiv preamp (eg. lightspeed attenuator) between Oppo and poweramp (just for volume)

Mentiorned video codes and formats can be played with diverse freeware software - what I am doing direct from HTPC (WMP, XBMC, VLC, etc.)
This kind of file are not rare, I do not think that license payment for required video codes has to be done.

Universal remote IR such as harmony, yes I know, but do not like, will take a time to "learn it" and still have a some bricks on my table

@RichB
My intend was not to blame or criticize Oppo as company,
As I wrote "unsolved by Oppo", I mentioned that this issues have been already communicated with Oppo in last months (see last line of my WOT), but without success, I got just empty marketing words,

Yes, Selecting a specific power-on device would be a really good addition.
Think it can be improve by Oppo self

Yes, I am using Standby Mode on Quick Start as well, but again, app MC HD from Oppo is not usefully (me) and not "cool" (my son)

I hope that Mr. Robert R/Jremote, now part of Jriver too, can solve it, we communicated this already last weeks
"It would be great if applications like JRemote could communicate with the BDP to provide power on and volume control but I do not know if this is something both companies are discussing."

Triggering over USB-A, I´m gonna tested it, be happy to get to know it works by some of user,
Are you using Standby Mode on Quick Start in this case too?
emotive ET-3, I know about it, but in this stage is not required

USB - B and USB -A, it is the same cable, 4x pins, +/-D, 5V, Grd, same pin configuration, just different male connector
I am using Asio 2.2 driver provided by Oppo to control connection of HTPC to Oppo via USB-B DAC,
I still cannot understand why DSD native can be done via hard disc/USB-A (Oppo is DGM I suppose) and cannot be done via HTPC/USB-B (Oppo is DMR).
Yes, Dop is "package" issue, but if I do not have to send a " sound packages", why should I do that, it works fine without it with USB-A?!

Let us see MediaControl 3.0, it can just be better as now

Best Regards
AP
post #834 of 896 Old 09-25-2014, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:
I hope that Mr. Robert R/Jremote, now part of Jriver too, can solve it, we communicated this already last weeks
"It would be great if applications like JRemote could communicate with the BDP to provide power on and volume control but I do not know if this is something both companies are discussing."
Excellent.

Quote:
Triggering over USB-A, I´m gonna tested it, be happy to get to know it works by some of user,
Are you using Standby Mode on Quick Start in this case too?
USB2 powers with the BDP regardless of Standby mode so both work.

Quote:
USB - B and USB -A, it is the same cable, 4x pins, +/-D, 5V, Grd, same pin configuration, just different male connector
I am using Asio 2.2 driver provided by Oppo to control connection of HTPC to Oppo via USB-B DAC,
I still cannot understand why DSD native can be done via hard disc/USB-A (Oppo is DGM I suppose) and cannot be done via HTPC/USB-B (Oppo is DMR).
Yes, Dop is "package" issue, but if I do not have to send a " sound packages", why should I do that, it works fine without it with USB-A?!
There are not just connectors they are completely different interfaces. The USB DAC (type B) is for sending digital streams the DAC where the BDP is seen as a soundcard to the HTPC. Sound cards don't read files.

You can also use the network to stream to the 105 using DLNA and DSD can be streamed this way as well.
The bit packing is a choice with a PC via ASIO. WASAPI only support DOP but it works very well.
You can compare the sound quality. For all sources, I prefer WASAPI with J River, so I stick with that.

J River is incredibly flexible, you can make a Zone for ASIO and use the Zone Switching feature to select that zone automatically for DSD/SACD/DFF/DSF files.
It gets a bit complex but the rules can stop one zone and switch to the other based on file size, bit depth, and probably day of the week

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #835 of 896 Old 09-26-2014, 04:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Thank you for your reply.

I have swapped cables back and forth without result so I look forward to hearing how your new acquisition performs.
Today I received the new cable and that did not sure the issue.
Something is afoot and I am not sure what. I have tried amny things and the problem remains.
I will keep troubleshooting and probably contact Oppo and see what they say.
I would suggest the same to you... contact them directly and see if they offer any advice that works.
They may want you to send in your player for service, perhaps mine too.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
post #836 of 896 Old 09-26-2014, 10:16 PM

Quote:

Thanks Dave.

I have now succeeded in installing the driver – I switched on the HDPC with the “A” usb terminal connected and the Oppo with the “B” terminal disconnected. When the program Setup asked me to make sure the devices were connected I then plugged in the “B” end to the Oppo and the program then accepted the connection and installed the driver. There is no way that it was going to complete the setup when starting with the cable already connected at both ends.

Peter
post #837 of 896 Old 09-27-2014, 12:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Thanks Dave.

I have now succeeded in installing the driver – I switched on the HDPC with the “A” usb terminal connected and the Oppo with the “B” terminal disconnected. When the program Setup asked me to make sure the devices were connected I then plugged in the “B” end to the Oppo and the program then accepted the connection and installed the driver. There is no way that it was going to complete the setup when starting with the cable already connected at both ends.

Peter
Oh that is kind of interesting. Glad you got it done and can hopefully use it ok,
but you may want to share that tidbit with Oppo. Perhaps it may still need some laying on of hands from Oppo techs.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
post #838 of 896 Old 09-28-2014, 03:00 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Hi!

What are the best darbee settings for bdp-105d for view photos? If you use the same settings as for the blu ray viewing, or you have a separate settings to view high quality photos (with higher resolution)? I would like to hear your opinion

Dreambox DM7020 HD, QboxHD, Qbox Mini, Icecrypt T2300HD / Sony KDL-46W 905A / Rega BRIO-R 600 & NAD C 320BEE /
Oppo BDP-105D / Synology DS213J
post #839 of 896 Old 09-28-2014, 08:27 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I now read in more depth. Do I understand it correct that the visual presence darbee viewing modes are available only for the processing of video sources?
post #840 of 896 Old 09-28-2014, 10:23 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by inspire View Post
I now read in more depth. Do I understand it correct that the visual presence darbee viewing modes are available only for the processing of video sources?
No, it works for still photos, too.

I have no opinion on best settings. As for video, it is going to be subjective.

-Bill
inspire likes this.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103d Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Darbee Edition , Oppo Digital Inc Bdp 105
Gear in this thread - 103d by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page