Official OPPO BDP-105D Owner's Thread - Page 37 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1081 of 1199 Old 12-04-2014, 04:23 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by cglenn View Post
1. I have an external USB drive with my (FLAC) music. Is there any difference in setup in terms of PCM and the other pertinent setup options?
Should be the same.

Quote:
2. I searched and could not find a definition for what the USB DAC input is for. With the larger plug, it's out of my range of experience (it looks like a LAN to me).
I'm pretty sure it's explained in the owner's manual, but it's for connecting directly to a computer to use the player as the sound device for the computer. So in Windows, you would install a driver (that you download from Oppo's site), then go into Control Panel -> Sound and select the Oppo as your playback device. Then whatever sound you play in Windows will go through the Oppo via the USB cable.

Quote:
3. I recall when I was following the '93 owners thread, that when I came back, I was placed in the last post I read. When I return here, I'm always at post #1 . Is there a forum setting, or is it a local browser thing?
Depends on how you come back, but this would be better asked in the Operations Forum.
cglenn likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 1199 Old 12-05-2014, 01:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
Should be the same.

I'm pretty sure it's explained in the owner's manual, but it's for connecting directly to a computer to use the player as the sound device for the computer. So in Windows, you would install a driver (that you download from Oppo's site), then go into Control Panel -> Sound and select the Oppo as your playback device. Then whatever sound you play in Windows will go through the Oppo via the USB cable.

Depends on how you come back, but this would be better asked in the Operations Forum.

The USB input also works wonderfully with an Auralic Aries streamer. You can plug your hard drive into the Aries and run usb to your Oppo. Plug and play.No computer. I realize the Oppo will play drives from the standard USB but it is a night and day difference in sound quality. The Lightning software for the Aries has a much more user friendly interface too.
scirica likes this.
post #1083 of 1199 Old 12-06-2014, 02:10 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
From Oppo's Facebook page...
Thank you Smarty-pants! I used the promo code today and it worked. Earlier today I watched a live performance directly from Berlin. What the folks from the Berliner are doing is amazing. The quality of the video and the sound is excellent.
Smarty-pants and barfle like this.
post #1084 of 1199 Old 12-08-2014, 05:13 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Anyone successfully using USB port powered HDD? (WD Passport)

Hi All,

Santa will have a 105D sitting under the tree for me this year!! In preparation for that big day, I am looking to prepare a USB HDD with my CD and Movie rips as well as Hi-Rez downloads. I have been searching threads but haven't seen a definitive answer around the Oppo's ability to stream music/movies with the 2 TB WD My Passport Ultra drive. This unit is powered via the USB port as opposed to having a separate power connection as "suggested" by the Oppo manual.

Anyways, has anyone had success with this drive delivering CD/Movies to the Oppo via the rear USB port? I just discovered that the place I recently purchased the drive from also has a 2TB Seagate drive that has a separate power connection that I could return the drive for. I will do that if it makes sense. Just would stink as I have already filled half the other drive with "stuff".

Advice here appreciated.

Thx!
post #1085 of 1199 Old 12-08-2014, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Hi All

I apologize if this question has already been asked and answered on this forum, but I tried to do a search and came up empty.

I'm trying to hook up my Oppo BDP-105D to my home network so that I can stream music directly from my main network computer to the Oppo. The Oppo is hard-wired to my home network and is connected to it because I can get on line and stream movies from Netflix. However, even though the Oppo is able to see my home computer, I'm not able to connect to it because the Oppo keeps asking me for a password and my home computer is not set up with a password. I've tried re-entering my home's secure wi-fi password but that does not work.

Is there something that I need to download from the Oppo website so that it will recognize my home computer? I even checked the FAQ's on the Oppo website and did not find anything there to answer my question.

Any help will be much appreciated because I am tired of having to download my music onto a USB drive and then plug the USB drive into the Oppo. It would be so much simpler if I could get the Oppo to directly see the music on my home computer! I'm sure one of you must have figured out how to make this happen!

Thanks for your help.

Cal68
sddawson and barfle like this.

Cal68
post #1086 of 1199 Old 12-08-2014, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkelley View Post
Hi All,

Santa will have a 105D sitting under the tree for me this year!! In preparation for that big day, I am looking to prepare a USB HDD with my CD and Movie rips as well as Hi-Rez downloads. I have been searching threads but haven't seen a definitive answer around the Oppo's ability to stream music/movies with the 2 TB WD My Passport Ultra drive. This unit is powered via the USB port as opposed to having a separate power connection as "suggested" by the Oppo manual.

Anyways, has anyone had success with this drive delivering CD/Movies to the Oppo via the rear USB port? I just discovered that the place I recently purchased the drive from also has a 2TB Seagate drive that has a separate power connection that I could return the drive for. I will do that if it makes sense. Just would stink as I have already filled half the other drive with "stuff".

Advice here appreciated.

Thx!
I am using the exact same WD 2T drive hooked up to the front USB port of the Oppo 105D. Streams FLAC files great, but I haven't tried movies yet. So there's a partial answer for you!

McIntosh MX121. McIntosh MC205. Focal Aria 948 Main Speakers, Aria CC900 Center. Focal Electra IC 1002 In-Ceiling Surrounds. Paradigm Studio Sub 15. Oppo BDP-105D. Roku XS. Roku 3. Apple TV(3). "Silenzio" EA-2 Media Server (pc-based). DirecTV. Panasonic TC-P65VT50. Samsung UN40FH6030F, URC MX-780.
My current SACD list
post #1087 of 1199 Old 12-09-2014, 10:11 AM

Thanks scirica!

Sounds like listening to music is probably a safe bet. It would be great to know if anyone uses the same or similar device for movies. Would hate to have the family gathered around for a movie and have the thing lock up due to power issues...
post #1088 of 1199 Old 12-09-2014, 02:04 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Oppo plays all video formats, I use a 32GB selected flash drives/sticks (their price is the most reasonable). All my Sat tv recordings play OK (*.ts files = transport stream). I have not find any video format that Oppo can not play! From USB or NAS...
post #1089 of 1199 Old 12-09-2014, 06:56 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal68 View Post
Hi All

I apologize if this question has already been asked and answered on this forum, but I tried to do a search and came up empty.

I'm trying to hook up my Oppo BDP-105D to my home network so that I can stream music directly from my main network computer to the Oppo. The Oppo is hard-wired to my home network and is connected to it because I can get on line and stream movies from Netflix. However, even though the Oppo is able to see my home computer, I'm not able to connect to it because the Oppo keeps asking me for a password and my home computer is not set up with a password. I've tried re-entering my home's secure wi-fi password but that does not work.

Is there something that I need to download from the Oppo website so that it will recognize my home computer? I even checked the FAQ's on the Oppo website and did not find anything there to answer my question.

Any help will be much appreciated because I am tired of having to download my music onto a USB drive and then plug the USB drive into the Oppo. It would be so much simpler if I could get the Oppo to directly see the music on my home computer! I'm sure one of you must have figured out how to make this happen!

Thanks for your help.

Cal68
my experience with the Oppo connecting to my computer is similar to yours. Oppo keeps asking for a password that does not exist.
Playing music from a USB drive connected to the back or front sub input works. BUT the interface of the Oppo is awful. If you have a big music collection, you will have a terrible time navigating or finding what you want from your library. On top of that the iOS app (Oppo Media?) is always crashing.
The Oppo is very good at playing physical discs. Not so with streaming and/or digital files. That has been my experience. Ymmv.
barfle likes this.
post #1090 of 1199 Old 12-09-2014, 10:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Apple just made available a new version of Oppo's Media Control app (V 3.0.3) for iOS devices.

Check it out! Hope it's more stable/robust!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	412825  

Last edited by DanF8500; 12-10-2014 at 08:08 AM.
post #1091 of 1199 Old 12-10-2014, 06:05 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Hi All

Thanks for your help.

Cal68
If your main network computer is a Mac then please read no farther because this response applies to PCs. Had exactly the same problem you describe and asked Oppo customer service what to do. They responded that Microsoft Windows Live Essentials needs to be uninstalled from the PC. I would still have sporadic problems with the unanswerable login/password request from my 105D. The problem finally went away when I went and made sure that all the folders were being "shared" and that seems to have done the trick. There are still times, however, when even though a particular folder is in a directory that the Oppo "sees" without any problems, either the folder is not seen or I get the prompt for the password/login. I then need to go in and "share" that particular folder and all is right with the world.

Hope this helps.
post #1092 of 1199 Old 12-10-2014, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post
Apple just made available a new version of Oppo's Media Control HD app (V 3.0.3) for iOS devices.

Check it out! Hope it's more stable/robust!

Ok I am confused now. Looking at the App Store I see two versions of the app. Oppo MediaControl HD v2.0.6 lasted updated 10/8/14 and Oppo Media Control V 3.0.3 updated 12/9/14. The new version you mention is listed as "HD" in the app store.

What is the difference between these? Which is the most capable?

Thx!
post #1093 of 1199 Old 12-10-2014, 08:06 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 718 Post(s)
Liked: 1066
MediaControl v3.0.3 is the one you want. It is for both iPhone and iPad. The older MediaControl HD (for iPad only) is now obsolete, but is left in the store for people still using it in case they need to re-download it.
--Bob
post #1094 of 1199 Old 12-10-2014, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkelley View Post
Ok I am confused now. Looking at the App Store I see two versions of the app. Oppo MediaControl HD v2.0.6 lasted updated 10/8/14 and Oppo Media Control V 3.0.3 updated 12/9/14. The new version you mention is listed as "HD" in the app store.

What is the difference between these? Which is the most capable?

Thx!
Sorry for the confusion. The Media Control app with the later date and version would be the one to use. I misrepresented the new version by calling it "HD".
post #1095 of 1199 Old 12-10-2014, 08:34 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
New BDP-105D owner here, upgrading from a BDP-93. Just received mine yesterday, have it hooked up using HDMI 1 for video, 7 ch. out for audio. I have my cable box routed through the Oppo via the back HDMI in, can really notice a difference in video clarity. Thus far, I must say I'm impressed most by the upgrade in audio. Played Brothers In Arms SACD, really blew me away with the detail and clarity. Look forward to playing some more in the next few days.
DanF8500 likes this.
post #1096 of 1199 Old 12-10-2014, 11:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicoff View Post
my experience with the Oppo connecting to my computer is similar to yours. Oppo keeps asking for a password that does not exist.
Playing music from a USB drive connected to the back or front sub input works. BUT the interface of the Oppo is awful. If you have a big music collection, you will have a terrible time navigating or finding what you want from your library. On top of that the iOS app (Oppo Media?) is always crashing.
The Oppo is very good at playing physical discs. Not so with streaming and/or digital files. That has been my experience. Ymmv.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Appierto View Post
If your main network computer is a Mac then please read no farther because this response applies to PCs. Had exactly the same problem you describe and asked Oppo customer service what to do. They responded that Microsoft Windows Live Essentials needs to be uninstalled from the PC. I would still have sporadic problems with the unanswerable login/password request from my 105D. The problem finally went away when I went and made sure that all the folders were being "shared" and that seems to have done the trick. There are still times, however, when even though a particular folder is in a directory that the Oppo "sees" without any problems, either the folder is not seen or I get the prompt for the password/login. I then need to go in and "share" that particular folder and all is right with the world.

Hope this helps.
Thanks guys. I will uninstall MS Windows Live Essentials from my PC and see if that fixes the problem. It seems a shame to have such a great player and not have it access my music library on my computer. I had no trouble doing this with the cheapo Panasonic bluray player that I had before the Oppo.

Cal68

Cal68
post #1097 of 1199 Old 12-10-2014, 12:50 PM

The OPPO MediaControl V3.0.3.3465 is now OK. This application enables to control over the iPhone now a great many things, and in this sense is a difficult job. 5+
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image_1418241032048.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	413489   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1418319028239.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	415754   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1418319158625.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	415770   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1418319177922.jpg
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	415778  

Last edited by inspire; 12-12-2014 at 01:04 PM.
post #1098 of 1199 Old 12-13-2014, 04:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Yes - the App is also working now for me - but on iPhone 6 with latest iOS.
post #1099 of 1199 Old 12-13-2014, 09:12 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The app is working. However, I'm not sure if it's my home network(I have pretty bad Charter internet service here) but I have a hard time connecting to the Oppo once I turn my phone off.
Also, I can only get it to play the next song if my phone stays on. If I turn the screen off on my phone, the it will only play the remaining of the song. Am I doing something wrong?
post #1100 of 1199 Old 12-13-2014, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Hi All

Thanks for your help.

Cal68
I haven't tried to connect the oppo with my computer. But with a NAS device or any DLNA certified storage, the Oppo does a great job at playing a lot of the music files. FWIW, I use a WD My Cloud. I convert all hard copies to high res files.
post #1101 of 1199 Old 12-13-2014, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by this is me View Post
The app is working. However, I'm not sure if it's my home network(I have pretty bad Charter internet service here) but I have a hard time connecting to the Oppo once I turn my phone off.
Also, I can only get it to play the next song if my phone stays on. If I turn the screen off on my phone, the it will only play the remaining of the song. Am I doing something wrong?
Hmm....You should have a hard time doing anything when your phone is off. The Media Control app needs the processor in your phone to run. If you shut your phone off, you just shut down the app. Now, you can leave your phone on, and have the Media Control app running in the background while you run other apps on your phone..no problem there. Just don't turn the phone "off". I think you already knew this, but your sentence I highlighted was unclear.

Last edited by DanF8500; 12-13-2014 at 09:35 PM.
post #1102 of 1199 Old 12-13-2014, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post
Hmm....You should have a hard time doing anything when your phone is off. The Media Control app needs the processor in your phone to run. If you shut your phone off, you just shut down the app. Now, you can leave your phone on, and have the Media Control app running in the background while you run other apps on your phone..no problem there. Just don't turn the phone "off". I think you already knew this, but your sentence I highlighted was unclear.
No. I meant when I turn the screen off. Do I have to leave the screen on in order for it to play music continuously?
post #1103 of 1199 Old 12-13-2014, 10:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
No. I meant when I turn the screen off. Do I have to leave the screen on in order for it to play music continuously?
No. You don't have to leave your screen on. I run my Media Control app on my iPad, and can have the screen off, and still play an entire directory of audio files continuously. I'm certain the iPhone functions the same way. I am using my NAS's SMB server to stream to my 105. Are you using an SMB or DLNA server to stream your audio? I've attached a pic of the list of "my sources" from the Media Control app. The green colored one is the SMB server. The blue colored icon that says "Synology" is my DLNA server. Both the DLNA and SMB servers are running embedded on my Synology NAS.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	420897  

Last edited by DanF8500; 12-13-2014 at 10:18 PM.
post #1104 of 1199 Old 12-13-2014, 11:02 PM

I did a test and confirm that the iPhone stops playing, when put the display off, then the play ends when playing from iPhone itself. However, if play from non-iPhone- via USB, NAS, or from disc, then all well and you can safely turn off the iPhone screen and the playing on the other media continues.
post #1105 of 1199 Old 12-13-2014, 11:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspire View Post
I did a test and confirm that the iPhone stops playing, when put the display off, then the play ends when playing from iPhone itself. However, if play from non-iPhone- via USB, NAS, or from disc, then all well and you can safely turn off the iPhone screen and the playing on the other media continues.
That is correct. The same thing happens on my iPad, when I want to play an audio track stored on my iPad. I didn't think though that "this is me" is having that problem. He said he has a WD My Cloud device, and he's just using the Media Control app on his iPhone to stream his media from My Cloud to his 105....and that's when he was having the problem with his audio track stopping when he shuts his iPhone screen off.

Attn: "this is me": we need more clarification from you of what source you're playing from in the Media Control app when you stated you had a stoppage of play when you shut off your iPhone screen. Because if you were trying to play audio tracks stored on your iPhone with the Media Control app, then what you witnessed seems like normal behavior (though probably a bug) of the Media Control app.

Last edited by DanF8500; 12-13-2014 at 11:29 PM.
post #1106 of 1199 Old 12-14-2014, 06:29 AM

I have a Western Digital My Cloud that store my music .mp3, .wav, .flac, etc.
I'm going to try different things and see if it's my set up. But I'm positive that the player doesn't continue to the next song even if I have a whole album song under the same folder.
post #1107 of 1199 Old 12-14-2014, 06:31 AM

Okay. Playing .flac files continue to the next song with the phone screen off so far...
post #1108 of 1199 Old 12-14-2014, 06:45 AM

Okay. MP3 are also playing continuously now. I don't if it was my network or if I pressed something on the phone I shouldn't. Sorry for the misinformation before. I just got this player last week and installed the App on Friday. Still discovering its capability. Loving it so far.
post #1109 of 1199 Old 12-14-2014, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Okay. MP3 are also playing continuously now. I don't if it was my network or if I pressed something on the phone I shouldn't. Sorry for the misinformation before. I just got this player last week and installed the App on Friday. Still discovering its capability. Loving it so far.
If you tried playing a song that is stored on your iPhone, then the Media Control app will stop playing the audio track as soon as you shut your screen off. Do you have any audio tracks stored on your iPhone?
post #1110 of 1199 Old 12-14-2014, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Question on best setup with a Marantz SR5008

Hello,

I am still trying to wade through the complexities of these higher end units and wanted to know the best way to connect the BDP-105D to a Marantz SR5008. I don't have either yet but they are on the way.

I assume that I could use the 7.1 analog outs to the 7.1 inputs of the Marantz for SACD as my best option for audio but I heard that this is probably not the best for Blu Ray or DVD movies because I lose the ability to use the Marantz Audessey capabilities.

I also plan to use the unbalanced stereo outs from the Oppo to one of the stereo inputs of the Marantz for 2 channel music.

I just want to make sure that I take advantage of the Oppo's DACs to the best of their abilities in my setup.

I will be using this setup for 70% movies and 30% music (sometimes with headphones)

My equipment also includes paradigm 40's for my fronts 20's for my rears and Def Tech 8040HD center along with an SVS SB-13 Ultra Subwoofer. Headphones are Fostex TH900's.

I would appreciate any help with configuring my system with the info I provided. Thanks in advance to anyone that is willing to provide some help/recommendations.

Dave
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103d Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Darbee Edition , Oppo Digital Inc Bdp 105
Gear in this thread - 103d by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page