AVS Forum banner
263K views 2K replies 323 participants last post by  Redrum69 
#1 ·
Does anyone have this unit yet? Are OPPO players available anywhere other than the OPPO website?

#77 ·
New to Oppo World…installed my 105D yesterday and impressed with audio (SACD), video (BD), and especially video upgrade from cable box. Had an "HD" channel before that barely passed for HD, and now is very crisp, with the HD pop.

Anyhow, several questions:

1. Connected via ethernet which tested and works find - both by running connection test and Netflix. However, won't do firmware update ("Cannot Connect to Server"). Thought it might be a temporary issue, but didn't work all day yesterday and not working this morning.

2. Using HDMI 1 to Sony HD projector, HDMI 2 to Yamaha RX-2700, and basic red/white RCA cables to Yammy for analog stereo. Any suggestions on best upgrade for stereo analog connection?

3. I have extensive music collection on RAID CRU dual disc connected to MacPro. What is best way to do the network connect to be able to pull up selections from my collection? The 105D will recognize the locations/folder/files, but not play the music. I have a Sonos on another system in the house and really like the connection options….is it possible to attach Sonos box to the Oppo?

4. Home theater setup is with above referenced Yammy to 7.1 speaker system of various Paradigm speakers. The Yammy has many sound profiles you can select (e.g. concert small hall, concert big hall, entertainment game, movie spectacle, dolby digital, DTS, etc.) It runs HDMI 1.2a. Currently set up to send bitstream from the Oppo. Does this sound right, and them tweak the sound profile to preference on the Yammy?

5. Noticed Oppo allows you to config to the speaker system for analog output. Given the above setup (which also allows to config the speaker setup through Yammy), is there any need to mess with the Oppo?

6. What are the best websites for downloading top quality audio, and is it best to play those files over the network, or burn a CD?

Thanks in advance!

#79 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas21  /t/1511711/official-oppo-bdp-105d-owners-thread/60#post_24271133

If you wan to play BDMV backups on your Oppo use the content of this link on the BDMV you vant to play and the Oppo will play it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h76w2bel8w0yfx9/bdmv_modify_v1.4.zip

Would this play .iso image files?

Which oppo models would this work on?

This is an .exe file in the .zip, what is intended to be done with that? Would this overwrite the current firmware and return it to an older version or does it just add the ability to any current version?

#80 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotcory  /t/1511711/official-oppo-bdp-105d-owners-thread/60#post_24272845

Would this play .iso image files?

Which oppo models would this work on?

This is an .exe file in the .zip, what is intended to be done with that? Would this overwrite the current firmware and return it to an older version or does it just add the ability to any current version?

It is a program for your PC not the Oppo and you mount your BDMW file in it and press a button and viola the BDMV is playable, but sorry it will not work with ISO. I have tested it with the 103 and 105D, and it works on both.

#82 ·
I have just changed from the 105 to the 105D, one thing that I have noticed, I had a few blurays that have been burned on my pc, the 105 refused to play the disc after the last firmware update, the 105D plays them with no problems!!

#83 ·
I have been eagerly looking forward to picking up my first Oppo universal player, and the 105D is hot on my radar.

Use: 60% audio (plenty of it is high res flac & wav), 40% movies which I have been archiving as .iso disc image files.

I am curious what you guy might suggest as the best course of action?

- use an older player that plays .iso (but be more limited in not being able to play DSD downloaded files or have the latest DAC or video processing)?

- use the 105D but take the .iso and convert is to ___?___. I am straddling PC and Mac setups but would like to move completely to mac, so not about .mkv vs .mov

(I am pretty hard core about not losing any detail/definition on either video or audio due to compression. Storage is cheap and would love to have them as .iso and be able to load them up as if I was inserting the disc and have access to multiple sound formats and bonus stuff.

I'm sure there may be a better forum for this, and for that I apologize in advance, and look forward to all your recommendations!

Thanks!

#84 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotcory  /t/1511711/official-oppo-bdp-105d-owners-thread/60#post_24279609

- use the 105D but take the .iso and convert is to ___?___. I am straddling PC and Mac setups but would like to move completely to mac, so not about .mkv vs .mov

MKV forever!

Look at MakeMKV. Runs on Windows, Mac and Linux. Does not change the A/V quality and you can pass thru subtitles as is. Fast because it is not compressing the video, just copying it into a new container.

-Bill

#85 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky301067  /t/1511711/official-oppo-bdp-105d-owners-thread/60#post_24277181

I have just changed from the 105 to the 105D, one thing that I have noticed, I had a few blurays that have been burned on my pc, the 105 refused to play the disc after the last firmware update, the 105D plays them with no problems!!

I have a 105 as well and love it.

Can you notice any difference in the playback of bluray dvd or streaming videos from VUDU ie is it really worth upgrading from the 105 to the 105D?

#86 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by discodol  /t/1511711/official-oppo-bdp-105d-owners-thread/0_100#post_24282881

I have a 105 as well and love it.

Can you notice any difference in the playback of bluray dvd or streaming videos from VUDU ie is it really worth upgrading from the 105 to the 105D?

That's opening a can of worms so to speak, since there are varying opinions about what the DVP (Darbee Visual Processing) does for your picture.

I was skeptical before trying it, but once I did I was quickly hooked on it and love what Darbee does.

Others say they can't tell much of a difference, but I think the biggest mistake is that people expect too much before they see it.

The DVP will add some sharpening and contrast enhancements to the picture and thus giving it some better overall depth.

It can be a moderate improvement but can also be very subtle too, it just depends on your settings and the content being viewed,

not to mention screen size too... the bigger the screen, the more difference you may see.

Of all the comments I have seen about DVP, it is my opinion that it may very well be something you have to see for yourself first hand to know whether you like it and/or think it's worth paying for.

There are some demos out there you can look at too. Here's a Youtube search that will show you some demo clips...
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Oppo%20Darbee&sm=3

#88 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain  /t/1511711/official-oppo-bdp-105d-owners-thread/60#post_24283698

I just tried a .MKV movie that I know has subtitles, but I did not see the subtitles with my 105D. Does this player support MKV subtitles??

What format are the subtitles? I use PGS, VOBSUB and SRT and all work.

Is this on local storage, over SMB or DLNA?

-Bill

#89 ·
I have a connection/function question:

Here is my setup: Yamaha RX-A2030 AVR, Oppo 105D, Comcast DVR Box, 7.1 Paradigm speaker config, Sony VPL-VW100 HD projector.

To make it simple, I have Oppo HDMI 1 direct to projector to maximize video quality, HDMI 2 to AVR, and the back HDMI In from Cable box. So far so good, all is well.

However, I want to be able to see the on screen display (OSD) function of the AVR. It doesn't have to be at the same time I am watching another input, so I tried connecting AVR HDMI out to Oppo front HDMI and selecting that, however nothing shows.

Is there a way to get on screen display while retaining the video benefits of going directly to projector from Oppo?

#90 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javaruke  /t/1511711/official-oppo-bdp-105d-owners-thread/60#post_24289516

I have a connection/function question:

Here is my setup: Yamaha RX-A2030 AVR, Oppo 105D, Comcast DVR Box, 7.1 Paradigm speaker config, Sony VPL-VW100 HD projector.

To make it simple, I have Oppo HDMI 1 direct to projector to maximize video quality, HDMI 2 to AVR, and the back HDMI In from Cable box. So far so good, all is well.

However, I want to be able to see the on screen display (OSD) function of the AVR. It doesn't have to be at the same time I am watching another input, so I tried connecting AVR HDMI out to Oppo front HDMI and selecting that, however nothing shows.

Is there a way to get on screen display while retaining the video benefits of going directly to projector from Oppo?
The hdmi input on the front of the 105 is a mobile high-def link (MHL), compatible with mobile phones, tablets, and other portable electronics. To see your AVR's on screen display, I'd probably route that directly to your projector, bypassing the 105.

#92 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javaruke  /t/1511711/official-oppo-bdp-105d-owners-thread/90#post_24290001

Thanks DanF8500. I have tested going from Oppo to AVR, then AVR to projector and there doesn't appear to be video degradation.

Good to hear. That is by far the simplest configuration. I go through my Marantz AV8801 for convenience with all processing disabled with no problems.

- Rich

#93 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain  /t/1511711/official-oppo-bdp-105d-owners-thread/60#post_24283712

-Bill

Thank you for the reply.

Local .mkv files on a USB Stick.

I don't know the format of the subtitles, how can I find that out??

They work fine in the PS3 Media Server streamed, and locally on my PC using VLC Media player, but not locally in my 105D.... I cannot seem to find a setting that may allow them to work, perhaps this player does not do some types of subtitles on local .mkv files??

Take care....

#2,135 ·
Quote: Originally Posted by wmcclain

-Bill

Thank you for the reply.

They work fine in the PS3 Media Server streamed, and locally on my PC using VLC Media player, but not locally in my 105D.... I cannot seem to find a setting that may allow them to work, perhaps this player does not do some types of subtitles on local .mkv files??

Take care....

curious question - is the 105D able to use subtitles in a seperate .srt file, as long as the filename matches the .mkv, .avi etc.???

#94 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas21  /t/1511711/official-oppo-bdp-105d-owners-thread/60#post_24265080

Just got my 105D and it is up and running with a regionfree prokit (normal 103/105 prokit) from bluraychip.dk and it works with all sones on BD. Will watch the first movie on it tonight.

Was it difficult to install that kit?? Does it degrade the picture quality in any way??

TIA

#95 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain  /t/1511711/official-oppo-bdp-105d-owners-thread/90#post_24295967

Thank you for the reply.

Are the subtitles embedded in the MKV container, or in separate files?

There are free utilities MediaInfo and mvkinfo (which is part of the mkvmerge package) which will give you details on the container and the data within it.

-Bill

#100 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmzip  /t/1511711/official-oppo-bdp-105d-owners-thread/0_100#post_24303001

Does anyone have their 105D hooked up in a balanced 2 channel setup? Curious to the sound quality for 2 channel hi end audio
yep of course. that is pretty much the whole purpose of the -105 model, along with digital audio inputs and headphone amp too.

balanced 2ch direct to amps sounds superb.