AVS Forum banner
263K views 2K replies 323 participants last post by  Redrum69 
#1 ·
Does anyone have this unit yet? Are OPPO players available anywhere other than the OPPO website?

#1,445 ·
^ ^ I'm not sure what he means, but the BDP-105 is actually discontinued and officially replaced by the 105D.
I am not sure if the 103 (non-D) model is still in production, but they are still for sale along side the 103D.
My educated guess is that the 103 still sells well enough, but the 105D outsold the 105 enough they felt comfortable nixing the 105 model.

A quick visit to the Oppo website doesn't show any 105 models (either new or refurbished) for sale.

#1,451 ·
I'm having a frequent problem.

With nearly every Blu-Ray disc, there will be a video drop-out of 3 seconds somewhere in the course of the film (It never happens during audio only playback - CD, SACD, Blu-Ray Pure Audio).

I suspect this could be the handshake between the Oppo BDP 105-D and my Sony amp (STR DA 5000ES). Are there HDMI cables that would reduce or resolve this sort of thing?

What is strange to me is that this never happened with my old Oppo BDP 83SE and this same amp....

Thanks-

David

#1,452 ·
1. How are you using the HDMI connections; only one HDMI cable going to your Sony receiver or the two HDMI cables, with the 2nd one going directly to your display?
2. If using the two HDMI outputs of your Oppo 105D, what did you select in the Video Setup; Dual HDMI Output - Split A/V ?
3. In the same Video Setup menu, did you select the Output Resolution to 1080p ?
4. Did you try another HDMI cable(s)?

#1,453 ·
^ The key piece of information is whether the drop out repeats at that same time code. I.e., if you rewind and replay that scene does it drop out again?

If so, that suggests a problem with the disc itself (grunge on the playing surface or a manufacturing flaw in the disc).

If not, then the two most likely possibilities are that you need to clean the laser lens, or that your HDMI cabling is marginal. A bit of dust or some film on the lens will cause read retries to happen. There's a separate lens for the blue laser (Blu-ray discs) and for the red laser (everything else).

Marginal HDMI cabling can cause dropouts because the HDMI signal path fails the periodic copy protection recheck that happens, normally in the background, every 10 minutes or so. This is not uncommon. Copy protection is finicky. It likes to fail. A fail results in an HDMI retry, with video muted for the 2-4 seconds needed to complete that.

HDMI is an end to end protocol, so any cable or device anywhere in the HDMI signal path can be the culprit. Often, marginal HDMI connections are simply due to plugs not being properly seated in sockets. Unplug and replug each HDMI connection in the signal path, making sure the plug is fully inserted straight into the socket with nothing (e.g., cable weight) tugging the plug in any direction. HDMI is just friction fit, and it only takes a small shift of plug in socket to screw things up.

Anything in the signal path should be suspect. This includes daisy-chained cables, adapters, wall plates (used to tidy up the ends of in-wall wiring), HDMI switches, gizmo boxes like Darbee, etc. Bypass such things to try to identify the culprit.

If the failure is fairly easy to reproduce, one simple test is to try 480p output resolution, not just from the OPPO, but from any other device between the OPPO and the Display. 480p (not 480i) is the simplest HDMI signal). Also turn Deep Color OFF.

If 480p works, then try 1080i, and finally 1080p again. If 1080i works but 1080p does not, that's usually a good sign of marginal HDMI cabling.

Each of your HDMI cables should be ones sold as "High Speed", or "For 1080p", or "Category 2", which all mean the same thing.

Sometimes replacing an HDMI cable with the same type of cable can fix things if the mechanical fit of plug in socket is slightly different.
--Bob

#1,454 ·
I'm posting to try to quantify if my problems are common, and occurring to everyone. I've read the complete thread, and the 105 one too. My first big caveat is that I am running the Taiwanese firmware version 10XTW-77-0827, and the latest Android Mediacontrol app. When I purchased the player I got assurances that they would/could put the US firmware on it for me, BUT that only their staff could install it. I didn't want to send the player off, or shlep it around town, so I've been lazy in actually flashing the US firmware. I have done everything I personnaly could to the player however. I have tried every setting combination mentioned here, especially quick start etc. After 6 months of crap it's time to put it here, so others who are contemplating a purchase of this unit might have an idea of the downsides. I hope I'm just an anomaly, or it's a few lines of errant code in a backwater version of the firmware. I have no questions that software is hard to do well, and maybe at this price/sonic quality well crafted software is the trade off?

The unit is stellar sonically, but a softwre nightmare. I realise that noone else here will be running the Taiwan firmware, but lets just try to quantify if any of the issues I'm having are cropping up in the English speaking world.

Just to be clear on my architecture as mentioned in my signature, I run wired Ethernet from the Asus router to NAS and to the Oppo. There is a printer on the network, but it's wireless, and rarely on (it requires being started manually to work, it's not in standby "listening"). The Oppo and NAS are the only two static IP's on the network all 10 or so other devices get DHCP. I use the latest version of the Android app as my control interface on several different devices. I have about 2000 mostly .mkv video files in a relatively compact directory tree, and maybe 40,000 .mp3 and .flac files sorted by artist in each flac or mp3 folder on the NAS.

My issues:

1. The player becomes unresponsive to the Android app, or Oppo remote if ANY files are added or deleted from ANY DIRECTORY on my NAS. The single file (video or audio) I'm playing will usually finish fine (if it was the first played since start/restart performed), but then the nightmares start. If the player attempts to play the next video file in the cue it will jump to some random file, not the next in sequence. Eventually this file will get blocky, then lock, and all that will fix it is a reboot of the player. Music does the same sort of thing, but it will stay in the album folder and most of the time finish playing the songs sequentially, but eventually the music will stutter, and the device needs to be rebooted.

2. Every time I turn the TV on or off the sound will cut off. This has been mentioned before as an HDMI handshake issue, but is unacceptable any time, but when volume levels are loud it is a complete PITA and I worry about my downstream hifi gear.

3. Almost always after about three of four shows, or two or three albums (between 1-3 hours of play) the player will become unresponsive to app or remote, stutter and require a reboot.

4. As a corollary to 3, often the app will show "player disconnected" and once this happens I know the stuttering will come as will the crash, so a reboot is required as attempting to reconnect the app will hasten the crash.

5. Any pausing or fast forwarding of video will hasten the crash of the player significantly. Usually once this has been done in one video any attempt to play something else will end in tears and a crash.

So, does anyone encounter anything like the above?

#1,455 · (Edited)
I have a 105D, approx 2 years old. I am using split A/V mode, and it has worked flawlessly since I got the unit. I recently moved and re-installed the Oppo in my system. I've checked all the settings and can get no sound when attempting to play a 3D Blu-ray disc. Immediately placing the same movie's 2D disc in the player results in perfect performance. I've tried several 3D discs that have worked in the past. My display is 3D-compatible and using HDMI direct (Oppo output #1 ) to the monitor for video. The cabling (tried a few different HDMI cables just in case) is the same and are in the correct inputs, etc. Anyone have any ideas what might be happening?

Thanks,

Lee

#1,456 ·
A call to Oppo tech support solved the problem. It's linked to the "Quick Start" option being buggy. All fixed!

Lee

#1,457 ·
Ugh. I bought this player briefly before moving, and have just now (about a month later) been able to properly unbox it and play it a bit.

Few things:

- Audio quality from CD and FLAC is a marked improvement over what I was accustomed to. That admittedly wasn't much, but still. I'm very happy with it as a pre running direct to my amp with an old pair of a/d/s speakers. Planning on snagging some Goldenears soon and expect even better.

- Integration with my Sonos product is nice.

- So far, it has played *almost* everything I've thrown at it (video files from USB drive excepted).

- Video menus are easy to understand and navigate, IMO. Have had little problem there. Although even after reading the manual, I'm still trying to figure out a few of the video options in setup. That's okay, I don't mind playing around with that sort of thing (non-critical options).

- YouTube functionality is 100% unusable. My daughter wanted to watch some of her favorite music videos today and it crashes/freezes constantly. Neither of us are happy about this. I have read some of Bob's posts here (thank you, Bob. You are an amazing asset to this thread and community) and in the 105 thread regarding this and I will eventually get to all of them. I have tried two already (My Network disabling, confirmation of latest firmware) to no avail. Unfortunately, I don't have an hour to fiddle around with it this weekend and start dissecting all of the possible solutions Oppo *might* provide to me. I'll admit that this is the first time this week that I'm having a little buyer's remorse (yes, I understand it's an undervalued Swiss army knife). There are thousands of devices on the market that stream YouTube flawlessly. How is it that I need to consult with my software engineer neighbor to get this one to work out of the box? Grrr.

Keep in mind that I'll likely watch YouTube fairly infrequently, and can also likely find another attached device I can stream it from. But still.

New owner here feeling grumpy, but still hopeful that this thing is all I wanted it to be.

#1,458 ·
Can someone give me a summary of the Oppo 103 and 105 Streaming capability?

I'm thinking of using this is a Music Only system. Pretty hard to find a Player and Streaming in separate units for that price.

Am I right in assuming there is a Smart Device App to control the Streaming, so I don't necessarily need to TV?

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-ne...g/2047722-oppo-103d-105d-audio-streamers.html

Steve/bluewizard

#1,459 ·
I am finally pulling trigger on getting a 105d. I do have some thoughts on hook up but want to ask you fin folks here who have experience.
My system is as follows
Marantz 8801
Emo 5 channel amp
PS3
Xfinity X1 box
Sammy 8500 TV.

I want to run everything through the darbee so I am thinking of the following config but it seems odd to me.
HDMI from 105d to marantz (M) input 1 for blu-ray video and darbee processing
HDMI from xfinity to M input 2
HDMI from PS3 to M input 3
RCA from 105d to direct input on M for analog audio for all except movies (SACD, USB DAC etc)
HDMI from Marantz to HDMI in on 105D

This is to use input switching of marantz and get darbee out of all of them.
Now my question is from where do I connect TV. Do I essentially loop the marantz?

Its confusing to me.

Feel free to suggest other connection set ups. My requirements are:
All sources receiving darbee touch
Analog for all music sources
Marantz controling inputs
minimizing handshake issues
making it easy for my wife to use.

#1,460 ·
I want to run everything through the darbee so I am thinking of the following config but it seems odd to me.
HDMI from 105d to marantz (M) input 1 for blu-ray video and darbee processing
HDMI from xfinity to M input 2
HDMI from PS3 to M input 3
RCA from 105d to direct input on M for analog audio for all except movies (SACD, USB DAC etc)
HDMI from Marantz to HDMI in on 105D

This is to use input switching of marantz and get darbee out of all of them.
Now my question is from where do I connect TV. Do I essentially loop the marantz?
Your proposed setup creates a HDMI loop, which might cause problems. If the HDMI loop doesn't cause problems, you would want to do the following:

Oppo BDP-105D HDMI1 output -> TV
Oppo BDP-105D HDMI2 output -> Marantz
Marantz HDMI output -> HDMI input on the BDP-105D

In this configuration, set the Oppo up for Split A/V.

If the HDMI loop does create problems, then you would need to skip the idea of having everything go through Darbee or come up with another way to accomplish that goal.

One option is to add a HDMI switch to your setup:

All of your sources other than the Oppo (Xfinity, PS3, etc.) would connect to the switch.
The output of the switch would go into the Oppo's HDMI input.
The Oppo's HDMI1 output would go into the appropriate HDMI input on the Marantz.
The Marantz HDMI output would go to your TV.

Given that you only seem to have 2 HDMI sources other than the Oppo, you could technically skip the switch and use both the front and rear HDMI inputs on the Oppo, but that's a less elegant solution as you'll have a HDMI cable sticking out of the front panel of the Oppo.

#1,461 ·
I think the dream of having everything "darbee'd" is not gonna happen.

Side note, is using the analog for audio into the marantz sonically worth it? I have heard great things about the audio but based on the items I currently have, will I get the "wow" factor out of it like I am hoping for?

#1,462 ·
Well the 105d arrived. Of course my cables for the analog haven't yet so a few days before I can hook up (moving my AV center to access the back with an 8 month prego wife isnt something I want to do twice)

I am stupid excited to test the sonics.

#1,463 ·
Hi folks,

Bit of a newbie to this player, but I have a question re sound quality.

I have the Oppo connected via xlr to me 90's vintage Technics amp and KEF R700 speakers. I also have the HDMI out connected to my Denon 3313 (in another room) and my 5.1 speaker system.

I seem to have a noticeable difference in the audio out put via the Technics depending on whether or not I have the HDMI cable plugged into the 105. The output seems to have a greater dynamic range with the HDMI cable unplugged.

Now I know all outputs are always active, is the fact that the HDMI cable is plugged into my Denon amp causing the analogue audio out through xlr to be different? If so how do i fix this, as at the moment I am unplugging and replugging the HDMI cable all the time.

cheers

#1,466 · (Edited)
When you hook up the HDMI cable to the Denon, you are connecting the ground of the Oppo to the Denon and whatever else is hooked up to the Denon. And the HDMI when connected, is running into a load and you are connecting a long cable that will pick up interference to the Oppo. It might be that you are simply hearing this contamination.

I can easily hear a difference on any of the Oppo's other outputs when I disconnect the 103's 3 foot HDMI 1 out to the TV which is also connected via a 6 foot HDMI cable to a Mac Mini and that is with the TV off and the Mac Mini off. Realizing they are not truly off unless unplugged, but there should be less contamination when they are off.

The way to isolate the two systems would be to use the Toslink (optical) connector for the Denon, which may or may not work for you.

#1,467 ·
Issue with Oppo BDP 105D

Hi !

I ordered the bluray player BDP 105D from Oppo one week ago and got it yesterday.
Everything ran fine while testing bluray discs, cds, dvds, sacds ...
The trouble came as I tried to play a bluray (bdmv folder) through USB port (HDD). The player didn't play it at all !
I sent an email to Oppo to get some explanation. I was told that they don't support this feature anymore since 2013 firmware release. It's a way to fight against piracy !!!!
I find it a little bit shameful to pay more than $1,600 for a player and not being warned not to be able to play bluray stuff on HDD !
People who want to make a backup of the movies they bought on HDD or NAS cannot definitively use BDP 105D (or BDP 103D) from Oppo.

#1,468 ·
Hi !

I ordered the bluray player BDP 105D from Oppo one week ago and got it yesterday.
Everything ran fine while testing bluray discs, cds, dvds, sacds ...
The trouble came as I tried to play a bluray (bdmv folder) through USB port (HDD). The player didn't play it at all !
I sent an email to Oppo to get some explanation. I was told that they don't support this feature anymore since 2013 firmware release. It's a way to fight against piracy !!!!
I find it a little bit shameful to pay more than $1,600 for a player and not being warned not to be able to play bluray stuff on HDD !
People who want to make a backup of the movies they bought on HDD or NAS cannot definitively use BDP 105D (or BDP 103D) from Oppo.
It won't play HD-DVD discs, laser discs, or player piano rolls either. ;) Companies don't tend to advertise what their products won't do and playing BDMV folders isn't listed in the supported features on Oppo's site, so it's not like anyone is being misled here.

You don't mention where you're located, but if you're in the USA and paid more than $1299 for a BDP-105D (Oppo's list price), then you got ripped off if you paid "more than $1600" unless it came with a pre-installed region free hardware mod (even then you got ripped off as the part costs less than $100 and is pretty simple to install, besides if you bought it from Oppo in the USA they don't deal with region free mods anyway).

One option for playing your Bluray backups is to convert the main title to a MKV file or copy the appropriate m2ts file out of the BDMV folder and just play that. You can also try running BDMV Modify v1.4 on the folder the BDMV folder is in (the container folder name needs to be AVCHD - so something like C:\Movies\Spider Man\AVCHD\BDMV) and see if that works.

#1,469 ·
I'm based in Europe and have the Darbee edition with free region.
The BDMV Modify 1.4 allows playing Ybdmv structure from USB but doesn't play 3D content.
I'm going to send the player back and purchase BDP LX 88 from Pioneer (BDMV through USB is OK) or UDP 411 from Arcam (to be checked with them) instead.

#1,471 ·
Are you aware that 3D BD generally don't rip to folder successfully? They have to be ripped to ISO. Try running the modify fix, then create an ISO of the folder structure with ImgBurn. Mount the ISO in a virtual drive, share that on the network and access it from the Oppo. It's been a long time since I had any interest in messing with 3D, but as I recall that method works.