Official OPPO BDP-105D Owner's Thread - Page 40 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1171 of 1458 Old 01-01-2015, 07:49 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 959 Post(s)
Liked: 1175
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdrowe View Post
I've got a problem I wonder if y'all could help me with. When playing Pure Audio Blu-Rays, my A/V Receiver (Sony DA5500ES) reads and plays PCM and Dolby TrueHD 24-bit/96Khz signals, no problem. But when the Oppo is sending the DTS-HD Master Audio, it cuts in and out, and then gives up entirely.

I find this...weird. There are no problems with standard Blu-Rays that have audio in DTS-HDma.

Any thoughts?
First try playing those with your display turned on. The Sony may be unhappy if the Display is off.

Now, with the Display on, press Info on the OPPO remote. The lower left will show the audio format being read off the disc. My guess is you will find that the DTS-HD MA Bitstream is at something higher than 48KHz sample rate, and that's what's confusing the Sony. Check in the owner's thread here for your Sony to see if others are running into this.

You can also try setting HDMI Audio LPCM to send that to the Sony instead of the Bitstream.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 1458 Old 01-01-2015, 11:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Bob-

I very much appreciate your response. I have had the display on at all times. I find it's nice to get "oriented" when I first start a Pure Audio Blu-Ray, and then turn it off once it's rolling. I just haven't gotten it going on most of these discs with the DTS-MA. (An exception, by the way, seems to be the Gimmell recording of Palestrina, where I CAN get a 5.0 recording via DTS-MA):

http://www.amazon.com/Allegri-Misere...strina+blu-ray

When I click the Info button, I get the following on these others:

LPCM - Stereo 96k 24b, 23.976Hz 5.9Mbps
Dolby TrueHD 96k , 23.976Hz 4.2Mbps
DTS-HD MA 96k , 23.976Hz 4.9Mbps

The difference is, the audio cuts out and dies immediately with the DTS-HD MA.

You're right, of course, that I am able to listen to an HD presentation of the recordings via LPCM, but you want everything to work, you know?

If you have any other ideas, or I've missed something, let me know! I am grateful, Bob!

David
post #1173 of 1458 Old 01-01-2015, 11:35 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ Check the owner's thread for your AVR to see if others are reporting problems with Bitstream input of DTS-HD MA 96KHz content -- which will pretty much have to be music content, as movies are put on disc as 48KHz.

It may be you have to disable some feature of the AVR (e.g., Room EQ) to get the higher rate DTS-HD MA Bitstreams to work.

If no answer there -- i.e., pending a firmware fix from the AVR maker -- email OPPO Tech Support with the details and see if they have any other suggestions.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #1174 of 1458 Old 01-01-2015, 12:14 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I think that's my next step. I've never updated my AV's firmware, and there IS one available. Now I've got to find a LAN cable long enough to stretch from my router to the Amp!

Thanks, again, Bob.

David
post #1175 of 1458 Old 01-01-2015, 05:35 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypokondriak View Post
Thanks for the great reply! I got the Synology running and it works great - I think I am going to run with this for now.

What about Tidal with Apple TV? Since Tidal is 44kHz is the reconvert to 48kHz across HDMI that detrimental?
Well, I guess it depends on your equipment and your ears! Probably hard to pick, but depends on how fussy you want to be with the whole bit-perfect thing. An alternative would be a cheap Airport Express, and use optical out of that to your equipment. No conversion there...
post #1176 of 1458 Old 01-03-2015, 03:43 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sddawson View Post
I just installed a Synology NAS on my network with a view to using SMB to stream gapless to the Oppo. The Synology's using DSM 5.1 and the Oppo has the latest firmware. I just can't get the shares on the Synology to show up on the Oppo! They show up fine on my Macs and on a PVR in the same rack and attached to the same switch as the Oppo. I've tried enabling NFS on the Synology, and the Oppo can pick up the shares fine then. It seems lots of people use SMB to a Synology from an Oppo. What am I missing?
Replying to my own post here, so I can report my findings on this. After a lot of trial and error, it seems that my fairly old Canon MP970 printers are causing this problem. They are Ethernet-connected, and if either of them are turned on the Oppo can't find the NAS SMB shares. The printers do have memory card slots which they attempt to share on the network, so I guess have some SMB processing in them. They only affect the Oppo - everything else on the network can see SMB shares just fine. So I suppose the Oppo is getting "stuck" when it gets to browsing the printers. There are no printer firmware updates, so I guess I just have to work around it. Oppo support have no ideas.
post #1177 of 1458 Old 01-04-2015, 07:11 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Audio Return Channel 1 Not Available error?

I just programed my Harmony 700 remote to turn on the 105D with my Panny 65 inch plasma and Marantz SR7007 receiver. I am getting a message that says "Audio Return Channel 1 (ARC) is not available. Please make sure the television has ARC capability and it is turned on". It does and it's on. Is this some kind of HDMI hand shake error or is it something in start-up on the Oppo? Is it the method the Harmony uses to turn the components on? It doesn't do this if I turn each component on individually. Anyone had this come up? The Marantz input is ARC as well. So I'm not sure why it's coming up with this. I don't want to have to hit "Cancel" in the message every time I turn it on, so help would be great.

'That sure is a nice record player you got there...'
post #1178 of 1458 Old 01-04-2015, 07:23 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dssquared View Post
I just programed my Harmony 700 remote to turn on the 105D with my Panny 65 inch plasma and Marantz SR7007 receiver. I am getting a message that says "Audio Return Channel 1 (ARC) is not available. Please make sure the television has ARC capability and it is turned on". It does and it's on. Is this some kind of HDMI hand shake error or is it something in start-up on the Oppo? Is it the method the Harmony uses to turn the components on? It doesn't do this if I turn each component on individually. Anyone had this come up? The Marantz input is ARC as well. So I'm not sure why it's coming up with this. I don't want to have to hit "Cancel" in the message every time I turn it on, so help would be great.
If it works when you power up your devices manually, allowing some time between each, then you've just encountered the rather common problem that many TVs are cranky *WHILE* they are powering up. They don't respond properly to the HDMI handshake which, for example, determines that the HDMI socket you are using on the TV is in fact ARC-capable.

The solution is to use the Harmony feature to sequence the order in which device power up, allowing for some delay between them. The usual Rule of Thumb is to power up devices in the reverse order of the signal flow. So TV, wait, AVR, wait, source (OPPO in this case). Try that manually using the individual remotes for each gadget, and then you can set up the power-on sequence in your Harmony to include the delay amounts that you find work.

There's a whole forum here for programmable remotes where the Harmony experts hang out if you need assistance with this. Just tell them the amount of delay you are trying to include (based on your manual testing) and they should be able to tell you how to set that up.
--Bob

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; 01-04-2015 at 07:44 PM.
post #1179 of 1458 Old 01-04-2015, 07:31 PM

Thanks Bob, I was sort of heading down that road actually. I wasn't sure if it was a known handshake issue or the remote so this eliminates the Oppo being the culprit. 'preciate it.

post #1180 of 1458 Old 01-05-2015, 04:24 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I fixed the crashing issue I think. The player would be totally unresponsive to (Android..both media control and Oppo remote) app and the actual remote control inputs. Before this it would only play one file, and then lock up forcing me to reboot the player and the app, and sometimes even that would still result in malfunction.

I had about 2500 (about 1TB) video files in one directory. I think that was choking the players limited indexing function/memory, so I created about 20 different directories within my video folder and that seems (maybe....) to have solved the constant crashing. I am only slowly getting the music on the NAS, so I'll be watching to see if it starts to choke on that, as that directory will eventually contain 20x the number of video files, but about the third the volume (300GB).

Does the player accept/play user recorded bluray disks? Is there any type/brand of Bluray recordable disk that it doesn't like/won't play? I'm trying to play my backed up Bluray .iso's but it won't play them, so I want to burn them to a rewritable Bluray when I want to watch them. Anyone have experience doing this?

Acer Revo RL100 HTPC Win7 64;1.3Hz Athlon II Neo K325 Dual Core;4GB 1,066MHz DDR3;512MB (shared) Nvidia GeForce GT9400 (Ion) OR Oppo 105D>Panasonic P50ST60.
Audio: Oppo 105D>Linn 5125>Aktiv Katans(K400 and Linn silver RCA), OR Optical out from Oppo>Vizio S4251w-B4 5.1
Synology 215j, Asus N66U router
post #1181 of 1458 Old 01-05-2015, 08:20 PM

I received a call from Oppo. My settings on the Harmony were incorrect. I set the input selected on the Oppo as "ARC-HDMI 1". It should have been set to Blu-Ray. I mistakenly thought it had to be set to HDMI 1 to take advantage of the Darbee processing.

post #1182 of 1458 Old 01-13-2015, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 20
If Oppo were to take the 105D a few extra steps higher by adding more digital inputs, input switching capabilities, and room correction capabilities (like outsourcing Dirac), would you consider it as a replacement for your highA/V receiver?
The Oppo 105 D already has top of the line video processing and DACs that can manage high-rez PCM and DSD files. It also has internet connectivity. So adding those extra features may not be too terribly expensive and would put it in competion with much higher-priced products
post #1183 of 1458 Old 01-13-2015, 11:24 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I can only wonder what Oppo is going to do with the the new Ultra HD BD 4k piece.. but i am more than content to enjoy my 105D for the next 5 years or so while they sort it out and come out with a great 2nd gen piece (i don't expect the 1st gen 4k BD players to be as good as they can be , just IMO) I am sure Oppo will make great 4k players though... lol
post #1184 of 1458 Old 01-13-2015, 11:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicoff View Post
If Oppo were to take the 105D a few extra steps higher by adding more digital inputs, input switching capabilities, and room correction capabilities (like outsourcing Dirac), would you consider it as a replacement for your highA/V receiver?
The Oppo 105 D already has top of the line video processing and DACs that can manage high-rez PCM and DSD files. It also has internet connectivity. So adding those extra features may not be too terribly expensive and would put it in competion with much higher-priced products
There are some advantages to combining the functionality of 2 or more devices in a single device, and it often produces a simpler user interface which is something I'm all in favour of.

I think one of the big problems is when you are combining devices with a long history of being separate, and with functionality that has to comply with standards and the time frame for reviewing/revising/changing standards is not co-ordinated. In this case we've got the video standards one associates with disc players, and the audio standards one associates with receivers. For example there's just been a major shake-up on the audio side with Dolby Atmos and there's probably going to be a shake-up on the player side by the end of this year with the Ultra HD BD format. If standards change and you want whatever the new one offers, you have to replace the relevant component. It's a lot cheaper to replace an AVR last year to get Atmos if you wanted it, and to replace your player this year in order to get Ultra HD BD if you want that than to replace a component which combines both disc playing and AVR capabilities each time if you want to keep up to date. Separates let you do each upgrade less expensively than replacing a combined device would allow.

In addition, here there's the problem that if the combined device breaks you lose all functionality. If a player breaks you can still use your AVR with other sources and if your AVR breaks you can connect your player direct to the TV and still watch things even if the sound is much lower quality, while sending the defective component off for repair. With a combined device you lose everything if it develops a problem. That can prove very frustrating.

So while I find a lot that's attractive in the idea of an Oppo with enhanced switching, audio, and other functionality, the big problem for me is it breaks the rule about not sticking all of your eggs into one basket. That rule became a cliché because it has a horrible habit of proving itself true far more often than we like. Every separate component represents a different basket which only holds some of your eggs. Your enhanced player represents a single basket holding all of your eggs. It's a bad move.
gsr likes this.
post #1185 of 1458 Old 01-17-2015, 01:51 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Gapless playback again

I'm sorry to raise this one again but I'm just trying to set up a Synology NAS. Remind me please somebody, exactly how does one engage gapless playback? I read it is by pressing the 'options' button, but that does nothing.
post #1186 of 1458 Old 01-17-2015, 02:02 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ The UI in the player does not currently support Gapless from a file server. Only from a directly attached hard drive.

However, if you have the latest firmware installed, have Gapless-capable music files on an SMB file server (not DLNA), and use the latest OPPO MediaControl app for iOS or Android, it turns out you CAN initiate Gapless. To do that, find your starting track on that SMB server in the Browse portion of that app, then Tap & Hold on that line. An option will be offered to play Gapless.

If you have your Display turned on and do this correctly, "Gapless" will then show above the timeline in the Now Playing music screen which appears on your TV.
--Bob

post #1187 of 1458 Old 01-17-2015, 02:07 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Thanks Bob. That convinces me yet again that one should stick to discs for music. This download world is still not really fit for purpose for classical.

Dave
post #1188 of 1458 Old 01-17-2015, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Purchased a PC-based music server last month, and I've been loading up a Synology NAS with lots of RBCD rips to FLAC. This weekend I decided to download a couple of DSD downloads from Acoustic Sounds. Loaded them up, downloaded the USB DAC driver for the Oppo 105D and installed, and away I went. Easy-peezy! I am going to upgrade by Bryston BDA-2 (PCM only) to a BDA-3 (PCM and DSD) later this Spring, but in the meantime I can pretty good DSD quality straight from the Oppo using the asynchronous USB.

Love my 105D!
RichB likes this.

McIntosh MX121. McIntosh MC205. Focal Aria 948 Main Speakers, Aria CC900 Center. Focal Electra IC 1002 In-Ceiling Surrounds. Paradigm Studio Sub 15. Oppo BDP-105D. Roku XS. Roku 3. Apple TV(3). "Silenzio" EA-2 Media Server (pc-based). DirecTV. Panasonic TC-P65VT50. Samsung UN40FH6030F, URC MX-780.
My current SACD list
post #1189 of 1458 Old 01-23-2015, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 19
If your hooking the player to TV via HDMI 1 for a direct connection for optimum audio, is it better to connect to a prepro(in this case a Yamaha CX-A5000) via HDMI 2 or should I go Analog. Seeing that both units use the ESS Sabre32 DAC's.
post #1190 of 1458 Old 01-24-2015, 11:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin. W View Post
If your hooking the player to TV via HDMI 1 for a direct connection for optimum audio, is it better to connect to a prepro(in this case a Yamaha CX-A5000) via HDMI 2 or should I go Analog. Seeing that both units use the ESS Sabre32 DAC's.
Well, the main purpose of the 105D model over the 103D model is the better DAC for high quality analog output.
If you are not going to use the analog output, you'd save a bit of coin by going with the 103D model instead.
For the digital audio and video output, they are identical.

Having said that, if you already own the 105D, then you just have to make a choice as to which one might be better.
One factor to consider is base management and EQ. If the pre/pro has good management on the analog input,
you might be ok there, but more than likely it's best configuration will be with digital audio before the DAC,
and if that is the case then it would be better to send HDMI audio to the pre/pro.

Also, just because they both use the same DAC chip doesn't mean they will sound the same.
A lot of it has to do with the software engineering and hardware path to get the best out of that chip.
There are plenty of differing write-ups on products across the net using that same chip,
and some of them sound better than others according to said reviews.
Oppo is known for having one of the better implementations, but I'm not sure about the Yamaha.
You might want to find any in depth reviews of the A5000 to see what is said about that.

Of course in the end, what matters is how good it sounds to your own ears in any given setup,
so usually the best advice is to say try the connections in different ways and see what sounds best to you.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #1191 of 1458 Old 01-26-2015, 09:11 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Just pulled the trigger on 105D

Just placed an order with Oppo. I currently have an Oppo 83, which has been awesome. My reason for getting the 105D is so I can enter the world of hi res audio and after reading tons of stuff about different streaming devices, DAC's, etc. I thought this would be a nice way to go..

I currently have a Mac Mini, which i'm using as a music server streaming wirelessly to a Squeezebox 3 and outboard DAC (PS Audio Digital Link III). I have a NAS drive, but it's more used for backup because it's too slow to be used to serve up music directly to the SB3.

My thinking is that I can take my Western Digital 1TB external hard drive with all my music files on it and plug it directly into the 105D and then pull my music from there and let the 105 DAC do the work.. For $1300, this seems like a much more affordable way to go... I'll sell the 83, SB3 and DAC which will simplify my system too.

Tom
Hayward, CA
post #1192 of 1458 Old 01-26-2015, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdac View Post
... I have a NAS drive, but it's more used for backup because it's too slow to be used to serve up music directly to the SB3.

My thinking is that I can take my Western Digital 1TB external hard drive with all my music files on it and plug it directly into the 105D and then pull my music from there and let the 105 DAC do the work..
My NAS streams music beautifully to my 105. No dropouts. 100baseT network should be fine to playback all your music and videos from a NAS.
post #1193 of 1458 Old 01-26-2015, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Thanks Dan... I tried streaming wirelessly from my ReadyNAS NV+ (an infamously slow NAS, but I got it super cheap) to my Squeezebox and it was horribly slow and had lots of drop outs... Plus, it's noisy, so I now only use it as a backup device and only have it running when I need to back up stuff..

When I get the 105D, I'll give it a try, but I think plugging a 2TB drive to the back of the 105 will be the direction I go...

Tom
Hayward, CA

Last edited by tomdac; 01-26-2015 at 11:16 AM.
post #1194 of 1458 Old 01-26-2015, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Quote:
Thanks Dan... I tried streaming wirelessly from my ReadyNAS NV+ (an infamously slow NAS, but I got it super cheap) to my Squeezebox and it was horribly slow and had lots of drop outs... Plus, it's noisy, so I now only use it as a backup device and only have it running when I need to back up stuff..

When I get the 105D, I'll give it a try, but I think plugging a 2TB drive to the back of the 105 will be the direction I go...
Streaming wireless is plagued with way too many issues to discuss here to stream reliably for many home users. I use direct connect...cat 5e/6 ethernet cable. No airwaves or extra wireless overhead to deal with...just pure copper wire path!
post #1195 of 1458 Old 01-26-2015, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
However, if you have the latest firmware installed, have Gapless-capable music files on an SMB file server (not DLNA)
--Bob
Hi Bob - would you mind explaining what a "gapless-capable music file" is? My understanding is that an audio file in of itself isn't gap-capable (or uncapable), but it's the capabilities of the "server" i.e. the device delivering the content (the Oppo, in this case), and the "renderer" (the receiver, for example), which determines whether it can take those audio files and play them in gapless mode.
post #1196 of 1458 Old 01-26-2015, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post
Streaming wireless is plagued with way too many issues to discuss here to stream reliably for many home users. I use direct connect...cat 5e/6 ethernet cable. No airwaves or extra wireless overhead to deal with...just pure copper wire path!
I'm also using direct ethernet (Cat6) on a gigabit network. Streaming to Oppo or to my music server from the Synology NAS is a beautiful thing. Never a hiccup!

McIntosh MX121. McIntosh MC205. Focal Aria 948 Main Speakers, Aria CC900 Center. Focal Electra IC 1002 In-Ceiling Surrounds. Paradigm Studio Sub 15. Oppo BDP-105D. Roku XS. Roku 3. Apple TV(3). "Silenzio" EA-2 Media Server (pc-based). DirecTV. Panasonic TC-P65VT50. Samsung UN40FH6030F, URC MX-780.
My current SACD list
post #1197 of 1458 Old 01-26-2015, 01:02 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezster View Post
Hi Bob - would you mind explaining what a "gapless-capable music file" is? My understanding is that an audio file in of itself isn't gap-capable (or uncapable), but it's the capabilities of the "server" i.e. the device delivering the content (the Oppo, in this case), and the "renderer" (the receiver, for example), which determines whether it can take those audio files and play them in gapless mode.
At present, Gapless support in the 10x players is limited to a handful of file formats: WAV, FLAC, and APE. In addition, a Gapless transition requires the next file match the file currently playing (file format, channel count, and audio characteristics -- sample size and sample rate). See the FAQ (link at the top of the first post).
--Bob

post #1198 of 1458 Old 01-26-2015, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Handshake Lag with HDMI Input using DISH Hopper FORWARD SKIP function

Question for Satellite Handshake Lag when running thru HDMI Input on the OPPO 105D.
Projector:Sony VPL-HW40ES
Receiver: Onkyo Flagship TX-NR5008.

Need some help. My Satellite Box is a DISH Hopper running it through the HDMI Input of the 105D player. On the Digital Side, there is a 3 or 4 second Handshake Lag, and on the Multichannel Analog Side, there is a 2 second Handshake Lag when using the Fast Forward or 30 Second Skip on the DISH remote.

Of course there is no delay or lag if I run the DISH directly to the receiver. But if I want to use Darbee, I have to sacrifice having a delayed Handshake Lag. I really prefer to run the DISH thru Darbee, but the Handshake lag is not desirable. Is there a fix or work-around?

RedmondCoug
post #1199 of 1458 Old 01-26-2015, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I have the same issues with Comcast X1 box , Apple TV and Google Tv Stb
post #1200 of 1458 Old 01-30-2015, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Just placed an order with Oppo. I currently have an Oppo 83, which has been awesome. My reason for getting the 105D is so I can enter the world of hi res audio and after reading tons of stuff about different streaming devices, DAC's, etc. I thought this would be a nice way to go..

I currently have a Mac Mini, which i'm using as a music server streaming wirelessly to a Squeezebox 3 and outboard DAC (PS Audio Digital Link III). I have a NAS drive, but it's more used for backup because it's too slow to be used to serve up music directly to the SB3.

My thinking is that I can take my Western Digital 1TB external hard drive with all my music files on it and plug it directly into the 105D and then pull my music from there and let the 105 DAC do the work.. For $1300, this seems like a much more affordable way to go... I'll sell the 83, SB3 and DAC which will simplify my system too.
I'm also making the move from the 83 to the 105D. Am anxious to hear your reaction.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103d Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Darbee Edition , Oppo Digital Inc Bdp 105
Gear in this thread - 103d by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page