AVS Forum banner
263K views 2K replies 323 participants last post by  Redrum69 
#1 ·
Does anyone have this unit yet? Are OPPO players available anywhere other than the OPPO website?

#2 ·
I'm really interested in this player.

Quick question for you 103D folks.

Does Darbee help the typically less than ideal pictures we get with cable HD?

I see the standard 103 and 105 claim image processing to improve less than perfect video input, does Darbee only make very good HD video better, while doing less for less than ideal video?

Or does Darbee improve everything?

#1,660 ·

I see the standard 103 and 105 claim image processing to improve less than perfect video input, does Darbee only make very good HD video better, while doing less for less than ideal video?

Just noticed I had the #2 post in this thread!! Shortly before I bought my 105D.

#3 ·
It is listed on their website (only $100 more than the 105). Yes, several dealers sell Oppos, including Amazon and Crutchfield. The 105D just came out, so it may not yet be available at those other sites. But why not get it directly from Oppo (they have a great return policy if you're not satisfied)?

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar75  /t/1511711/official-oppo-bdp-105d-owners-thread/0_100#post_24206600

Does anyone have this unit yet? Are OPPO players available anywhere other than the OPPO website?
I doubt it. It was just released today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain  /t/1511711/official-oppo-bdp-105d-owners-thread/0_100#post_24206683

I am of the opinion that DVP will help on all video fed through the player, but I think it helps less with lower quality / lower res stuff.

I have seen the most improvement on BD stuff. It seems that the more detail there is, the more DVP has to work with and does a better job. Not to say that it doesn't help with DVD and even when feeding something like your cable STB through the player. It helps with all content to some extent.

All of that is to be taken as opinion though, as not everyone is drinking the Darbee Koolaid.

Personally I love it on the rocks, and tastes good goin down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV  /t/1511711/official-oppo-bdp-105d-owners-thread/0_100#post_24207064

Just as a FYI but normally Neuromancer creates the official threads.

Indeed! I would hopefully look to see another thread created by Neuromancer and then maybe the mods can merge them.

This way there's on main thread with updated details all incorporated in the first post of the thread.

Here's an FYI on the differences between the BDP-105 and the BDP-105D...

How is the BDP-105D different from the BDP-105?

The BDP-105D subtracts:

~the Marvell Qdeo video processor

...and adds:

~the Darbee Visual Presence video processor

~the Silicon Image VRS ClearView video processor

~updated USB DAC interface to support DSD64 and DSD128

~the ability to send DSD over HDMI on the HDMI-1 output

(this was only possible on the HDMI-2 output of the BDP-105)

...and replaces:

~the remote with be a slightly new version with a Darbee button

(otherwise the remote is identical to the BDP-105/103)

All other aspects and functions of the two models are identical.

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar75  /t/1511711/official-oppo-bdp-105d-owners-thread#post_24206600

Purchase links for the OPPO BDP-105D -- in both Black and Silver -- are live on Amazon. The "seller" is OPPO Digital.

The dealers who have been carrying the 105 will presumably also carry the 105D, but I don't now how long it will take for them to get stock into inventory.

--Bob

#7 ·
I noticed the pricing for Amazon vs Oppo seem to be the same or very similar, and the shipping is the same.

With that in mind I'm thinking it would be preferable to buy it direct from Oppo.

I think I may take the plunge I was looking at the 103D, so the timing of this is terrific for me.

#8 ·
For those who've not been paying attention to the 103D, one other difference between the 103D and the 103 should also be true about the 105D: You can output HDMI DSD on the HDMI 1 output.

As for the higher rate DSD support, it's not yet clear whether that applies to media files, or only to the Asynchronous USB DAC Input.

Media file support may depend on additional firmware for the file format decoding.

--Bob

#9 ·
I have a Samsung F9000 4k display. I assume I would need to send video from the OPPO directly to this display to achieve the best scaling of BD to 4k instead of going through my Anthem 50v?

#11 ·
#13 ·
Wasn't really planning on making a new thread. There are already two BDP-103 threads and two BDP-105 threads. Not to mention the two anticipation threads. Didn't really plan on making yet another BDP-10x thread since the video charactersitics are that of the BDP-103D and the audio characteristics were that of the BDP-105. But we will see where this thread goes.

#14 · (Edited)
REPOSTING this to make it easy to spot, as long as people are actually reading to find it.

How is the BDP-105D/103D different from the BDP-105/103?... the following list explains it.

The BDP-105D/103D subtracts:

~the Marvell Qdeo video processor

...and adds:

~the Silicon Image VRS ClearView video processor.
(the VRS chip allows for a slightly better picture presentation do to some ever so slight undefeatable DNR in the QDEO chip.)

~the Darbee Visual Presence video processor.

~the ability to send DSD over HDMI on the HDMI-1 output.
(this was only possible on the HDMI-2 output of the BDP-103 and BDP-105)

~the ability to output 4K/50 and 4K/60 in YCbCr 4:2:0 data format on the HDMI-1 output.

~(BDP-105D only) updated USB DAC interface to support DSD64 and DSD128
(the 105D can not play media files in DSD 128 -- i.e., on a directly attached USB hard drive or via the house network.
the new capability is limited to the Asynchronous USB Input only!)

~(BDP-105D only) the USB DAC can also allow acceptance of stereo LPCM at rates up to 384KHz 24-bit.
Rates above 192KHz are only available for output on the Analog outputs. (192KHz limit on the 105.)

...and replaces:

~the remote will be a slightly new version with a Darbee button.
(otherwise the remote is identical to the BDP-105/103)

All other aspects and functions of the two models are identical.

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau  /t/1511711/official-oppo-bdp-105d-owners-thread#post_24211295 And you believe that do you?

--Bob
That's what I heard no new BDP until 2015!!!

#19 ·
When will OPPO release their next iteration of BDP Players?

The 10x players use the MediaTek MT8555 SoC. There is currently no newer chip listed on the MediaTek website.

If you follow Mediatek's news releases and see a newer Blu-Ray SoC with an HDMI receiver, that might give you a clue.

In the past OPPO has released a new iteration of BDP shortly after MediaTek has discontinued the currently used chip, see the release of the BDP93, or shortly after MediaTek has publically announced the availability of a new chip, ie the release of the BDP103.

Hopefully, the exercise outlined above will yield results at least equal to and hopefully better than a Ouija Board or Magic Eight Ball.

#20 ·
Probably won't see another new OPPO player until after 4k BDP is finalized. Anyone know why OPPO does not have a trade-in program? They could easily re-sale all the OPPO trade-ins through their website.

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmzip  /t/1511711/official-oppo-bdp-105d-owners-thread/0_100#post_24217980

I am thinking of buying this 105D and selling my Wyred 4 Sound DAC 1, BDP-83 and Iscan VP50

Might be a wash. Curious if the Darbee will exceed the scaling qualities of the ISCAN VP50

The Darbee (DVP) chip is more of a contrast/sharpening/enhancement effect, which is implemented on top of the main scaling chip.

The VRS chip is what does the scaling, and it does it very well.

#23 ·
So when is the 105 to 105D hardware upgrade mod going to start and how much is it gonna cost? I remember upgrading my BDP83 to Bdp83SE and it was a simple process of sending it back and waiting for the upgrade. Tick tock

#26 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants  /t/1511711/official-oppo-bdp-105d-owners-thread#post_24218946

There are no plans for any upgrade program for the BDP-105.

Quite honestly, with the great resale value the players have, you could sell a 105 and then buy a 105D and be out-of-pocket just about as much as any upgrade offer would cost anyway.

Cannot upgrade 105 to 105D - this was answered in the 103D thread - Darbee is a chip that must be installed in the player - answering another post - Darbee does significantly improve image of HDTV