Should I upgrade my blu-ray player? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 03-17-2014, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm having trouble making a decision here and looking for some guidance.

Here's what I've got at the moment:

Epson 8350 projector w/ EluneVision 84" (custom sized) Reference 4K screen
Sherbourn SR-8100 7.1 receiver
Sony BDP-S590

...everything else is superfluous to this thread so I'll leave that stuff out.

Now, I've got an opportunity to get a really good deal on a Cambridge Audio Azur 651BD but I'm just not sure how much of an improvement I would see. I would be connecting it to my receiver via HDMI so would not be making use of its DACs except for maybe some CD playback, but I just don't see that happening often. I wouldn't play many DVDs, if any, so the video scaling would largely go unused except for a small handful of 1080i BDs.

So my main question is, would the improvement in Blu-ray playback be appreciable enough to justify the (still relatively pricey) cost of the Cambridge Audio unit or should I stick with my Sony deck? I've never had any complaints about with the S590. I've just always wondered what else I could eke out of my prized Blu-ray collection.

Thanks in advance for any help here. It is much appreciated.
Mike Aiello is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old 03-17-2014, 11:32 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member
 
FMW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 4,865
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Aiello View Post

I'm having trouble making a decision here and looking for some guidance.

Here's what I've got at the moment:

Epson 8350 projector w/ EluneVision 84" (custom sized) Reference 4K screen
Sherbourn SR-8100 7.1 receiver
Sony BDP-S590

...everything else is superfluous to this thread so I'll leave that stuff out.

Now, I've got an opportunity to get a really good deal on a Cambridge Audio Azur 651BD but I'm just not sure how much of an improvement I would see. I would be connecting it to my receiver via HDMI so would not be making use of its DACs except for maybe some CD playback, but I just don't see that happening often. I wouldn't play many DVDs, if any, so the video scaling would largely go unused except for a small handful of 1080i BDs.

So my main question is, would the improvement in Blu-ray playback be appreciable enough to justify the (still relatively pricey) cost of the Cambridge Audio unit or should I stick with my Sony deck? I've never had any complaints about with the S590. I've just always wondered what else I could eke out of my prized Blu-ray collection.

Thanks in advance for any help here. It is much appreciated.

The performance wouldn't be any different. Blu Ray is Blu Ray. The only reason to change is that the new unit will have some feature you don't have but want.
FMW is online now  
post #3 of 10 Old 03-17-2014, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
That's kind of what I've been thinking. Thank you for the info.
Mike Aiello is offline  
post #4 of 10 Old 03-17-2014, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
hernanu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Boston Suburbs
Posts: 2,510
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 155
I think you're fine where you are.
hernanu is offline  
post #5 of 10 Old 03-17-2014, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is all very reassuring. Thank you.
Mike Aiello is offline  
post #6 of 10 Old 03-18-2014, 06:45 AM
Senior Member
 
James Parsons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Washington, DC metropolitan area
Posts: 222
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Aiello View Post

I would be connecting it to my receiver via HDMI so would not be making use of its DACs except for maybe some CD playback, but I just don't see that happening often.

Also, if you're using the HDMI connection to your receiver, you'd be completely bypassing the Blu-ray player's DAC and using the receiver's DAC instead. As long as you're using digital connections, the only place you need a good DAC is in your receiver.

Don't fall for the marketing hype by paying for expensive players because of their DAC. There might be other reasons to buy an expensive CD, DVD, or Blu-ray player, but if you're using digital connections the DAC isn't one of them.

VUDU Terms of Service:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
James Parsons is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old 03-18-2014, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks. I wasn't really clear about that in my post. If I'd been playing many CDs, I was planning on using the downmixed output from the FL/FR analog outputs. That said, the DACs in my receiver are comparable to those in the 651BD, so it would probably have been pointless. There's the "pure audio" function, which I've read positive things about, but again, probably not worth even the deal price I'd be getting.
This is appreciated. It's all confirming my thoughts on whatever "benefits" I could be expecting.
Mike Aiello is offline  
post #8 of 10 Old 03-18-2014, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member
 
hernanu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Boston Suburbs
Posts: 2,510
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Parsons View Post

Also, if you're using the HDMI connection to your receiver, you'd be completely bypassing the Blu-ray player's DAC and using the receiver's DAC instead. As long as you're using digital connections, the only place you need a good DAC is in your receiver.

Don't fall for the marketing hype by paying for expensive players because of their DAC. There might be other reasons to buy an expensive CD, DVD, or Blu-ray player, but if you're using digital connections the DAC isn't one of them.

I don't consider it marketing hype, just a feature on the player that some of us need. There are people who are actively happy with their pre-HDMI receivers, who prefer analog output, or who want to bypass receivers altogether and use amps only. That's who the analog outs are made for.

I've used both, I had a receiver (the Sony STR-DG800) which only had HDMI routing, not processing, so I needed analog outs to play movies with the lossless (TrueHD, DTS-HD-MA) soundtracks. For me, having the Oppo do the sound decoding and sending those analog signals to my receiver was valuable. I also found that the Oppo's DAC did a very good job.

Once I changed to an HDMI processing capable receiver (Pioneer Elite VSX-33), I played with both, and although I liked the analog sound, I found the HDMI processing to be fairly equivalent and much more convenient. The DAC from the Pioneer was much improved over the Sony, so I moved to that for both music and home theater and have been very happy.

It's about how useful it is to you. If you have a good quality HDMI capable receiver and you're just interested in movies, then you go HDMI all of the way in my opinion.
hernanu is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old 03-18-2014, 05:36 PM
Senior Member
 
James Parsons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Washington, DC metropolitan area
Posts: 222
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post

I don't consider it marketing hype, just a feature on the player that some of us need. There are people who are actively happy with their pre-HDMI receivers, who prefer analog output, or who want to bypass receivers altogether and use amps only. That's who the analog outs are made for.

Good point. As someone who still owns a pre-HDMI receiver (but hopefully not for long), I fully understand that some people have legacy equipment. In my comment I was specifically addressing customers who plan to use digital connections. I wasn't trying to make a one-size-fits-all statement.

As a general rule it's most cost-effective to use digital connections, avoid redundant capabilities, and have A/V signal processing technologies (e.g. digital-to-analog conversion, video upscaling) at a common choke point as close to the output source as possible. That's the receiver for audio and the TV itself for video. If someone assembles or changes their components over time, though, it can be hard to meet this ideal. Also, sometimes it's just fun to avoid cost-effectiveness and BUY COOL STUFF!

VUDU Terms of Service:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
James Parsons is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old 03-18-2014, 06:16 PM
Senior Member
 
James Parsons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Washington, DC metropolitan area
Posts: 222
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Aiello View Post

There's the "pure audio" function, which I've read positive things about, but again, probably not worth even the deal price I'd be getting.

The Pure Audio mode likely has no benefit when using digital connections. (A similar mode in receivers may be a different story, although I'm skeptical.) The Pure Audio mode is almost certainly for people who want to use the analog outputs.

That said, if you want a cool-looking setup that looks impressive even when shut off, there's nothing wrong with that. Just don't buy it because you fear you might be missing something with your current setup. You're not.

VUDU Terms of Service:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
James Parsons is offline  
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350 , Sony Bdp S590 3d Blu Ray Disc Player , Sr 8100 Receiver
Gear in this thread - S590 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off