Official 2014 Samsung BD-H5100, BD-H5900, & BD-H6500 Blu-ray Player Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 142 Old 04-16-2014, 12:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I have a question for those of who that are more tech minded than myself: the H5900 is supposed to be dual band wireless, but there is no option to connect to the 5 GHz band.  Other people are having this issue too.  Would the player automatically switch between 2.4 Ghz and 5 GHz even when initially connected to the 2.4 GHz band?  I have seperate SSIDs for the different bands and can choose which one I use on other devices but not when I had the H5900 (I've since returned the player).  Just curious.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 142 Old 04-19-2014, 04:47 PM

I just purchased the BD-H5900 at Future Shop in Canada and it seems to be missing most of the apps. I definitely don't see hulu plus, or pandora. Is there somewhere that you need to go to download them? I thought they can already installed. Even the box shows them as installed content.
post #33 of 142 Old 04-19-2014, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 47
HD Nation has a video review of the Samsung BD-H6500 Blu-ray player here. In the YouTube video below, the review starts at the 2:30 mark:

post #34 of 142 Old 04-21-2014, 07:04 AM

I'm pretty sure that Hulu and Pandora are not available in Canada. CRTC rules probably.
post #35 of 142 Old 04-22-2014, 02:32 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Figured out how to get the 3D to work on my H5900. Hitting the 3D button on the Vizio remote helped.....DOH!

I bought a 3D copy of Gravity when I bought the player. It's pretty cool, I liked the 3D effects and that movie is supposed to be particularly good in 3D. Unfortunately, I will not be buying or streaming any more 3D movies, my wife is blind in one eye so she can't see 3D.
post #36 of 142 Old 05-15-2014, 06:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I've been having an issue with my BD-H5900 maybe you folks can help me with. I've been using the player for DVD and BD without issue (so far) but when I try to stream Netflix, I'm experiencing audio glitches and drop outs in bitstream mode. The video plays smoothly all the time, and even the audio plays fine in PCM. I've tested this with both wired and wireless connections with no discernible difference between the two. I have the player connected to my receiver via digital coax. Bitstream (unprocessed) works fine for DVD and BD but my only workaround so far for the Netflix app is to change it to PCM which, of course, limits me to 2-channel PCM over digital coax. I chose Dolby Surround compatible downmix so I can apply Dolby PLII on the other end but that is not ideal. Bitstream (re-encode) seems to be ignored for Netflix and tries to send Dolby Digital 5.1 regardless of what variant I choose. Bitstream works on all other forms of media on the BD-H5900 so why not Netflix? Is there a problem with the app? Is it sending corrupt data or sending non-standard metadata that my receiver can't process? I upgraded to the latest firmware as soon as I got the player last week so I should be up to date.

*edit* It just occurred to me that there may be a bug in the conversion process from DD+ to DD since, over coaxial, it delivers the data as a plain DD track. I don't have any other source of DD+ content to test this.

I thank you in advance for any suggestions.

post #37 of 142 Old 05-23-2014, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Got my first blu-ray player, a Samsung BD-H5900. What do you guys think of the noise during playback? I found it noticeable during quiet scenes of a movie. Are there quieter options that still do 3D? My tv is a Samsung 51" F8500.
post #38 of 142 Old 05-27-2014, 04:15 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I just got the 5900 and when I play movies with my external hard drive Blu ray movies I cannot turn off subtitles off they are on all the time how do I stop that
post #39 of 142 Old 05-28-2014, 12:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW6ATV View Post

none has two HDMI outputs (for 3-D use with non-compatible A/V receivers)

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Parsons View Post

That's what the digital audio output jack is for.

If your current Blu-ray player works fine, why replace it?

The digital audio output jack does not carry multichannel PCM or lossless audio tracks. The only reason I would have to replace my existing player is to watch 3-D discs, or if newer discs won't play and Samsung does not issue needed firmware upgrades.

Chris

"It's [expletive] lame to watch Jaws, a film that uses the 2.40 ratio as well as any ever produced, in the wrong format on HBO." -Steven Soderbergh, Oscar-winning director

post #40 of 142 Old 05-28-2014, 10:29 PM

so Im getting some conflicting information on the H5100. It says it does hd up-convert on the product description, but in the comparison link it states only the h5900 has  dvd hd up-conversion capabilities. Can someone confirm that the h5100 indeed up-converts dvds? 

post #41 of 142 Old 05-29-2014, 12:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alterndog View Post

so Im getting some conflicting information on the H5100. It says it does hd up-convert on the product description, but in the comparison link it states only the h5900 has  dvd hd up-conversion capabilities. Can someone confirm that the h5100 indeed up-converts dvds? 

I don't know for sure, but often I've found that when a comparison table says "N/A" it means some employee was too lazy to fill out the entire table.
post #42 of 142 Old 06-01-2014, 12:30 AM

I just purchased the bd-h5100 2 weeks ago and found out today that it can't play pal movies. I had upgraded from the samsung upconvert 1080p cause of the noise and problems it was giving me. I've searched online but haven't found a region free hack yet for it either. Should I wait it out or go back to upconverts?
post #43 of 142 Old 06-23-2014, 07:17 AM

Short H6500 picture quality review

I purchased an H6500 at BestBuy this week to replace our Sony S5100. Both will be connected to a Samsung 60F8000.

It has been interesting comparing the picture quality between the 2 units for sure.

With both units at default "Standard" picture setting..I would say the Sony has a noticeably softer picture than the Samsung (3 sets of eyes have agreed) but it has smoother motion. When watching Desolation of Smaug, you see more shimmer when the camera pans over the dwarven gold hoard on the Samsung where the Sony stays smooth and shimmer free. On the Samsung, the picture is razor sharp and the colors just pop...it reminds me of the Darbee effect for lack of a better description.

After giving myself a few days to adjust to the motion differences between the 2 units I have decided to keep the Samsung and move the Sony upstairs. The pristine picture on the Samsung is just that impressive!
KONICA TECH likes this.

post #44 of 142 Old 06-24-2014, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekonn View Post
Got my first blu-ray player, a Samsung BD-H5900. What do you guys think of the noise during playback? I found it noticeable during quiet scenes of a movie. Are there quieter options that still do 3D? My tv is a Samsung 51" F8500.
I haven't had any of the Samsung BD players, but I had a Sony S5100 (actually, the club version, BX510) for a little while, and I found it to be very quiet, practically silent. They market the, "Enclosed drive and I/P noise reduction for better picture", in the product description and features. I liked it but returned it because my PS3 is rock-solid except for the noise. Although, I have reconsidered that decision a few times because it is a nice player, and it is quiet. Check out that thread here on the forums to learn more or ask questions from current and former owners.
post #45 of 142 Old 06-25-2014, 06:23 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToonMasterTim View Post
I haven't had any of the Samsung BD players, but I had a Sony S5100 (actually, the club version, BX510) for a little while, and I found it to be very quiet, practically silent. They market the, "Enclosed drive and I/P noise reduction for better picture", in the product description and features. I liked it but returned it because my PS3 is rock-solid except for the noise. Although, I have reconsidered that decision a few times because it is a nice player, and it is quiet. Check out that thread here on the forums to learn more or ask questions from current and former owners.
Cool, I'll look into that one, thanks. I wound up returning the Samsung 5900. I also got and returned the Panasonic BDT-360.
post #46 of 142 Old 06-26-2014, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Samsung BD-H5100 discrete power commands

Does the Samsung BD-H5100 support discrete On/Off power IR commands? My Logitech Harmony Remote Software (7.7.0) does not show any discrete power commands.
post #47 of 142 Old 07-13-2014, 09:45 PM

samsung bd h6500

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Parsons View Post
The 2014 Samsung BD-H5100, BD-H5900, and BD-H6500 Blu-ray players are now available on Amazon. These are the successors to Samsung's 2013 'F Series' Blu-ray players.

Here are the official product pages on Samsung's website:The BD-H5100 does not support 3D content, while the BD-H5900 and BD-H6500 do. A full comparison between the models in the 'H Series' can be found here. At present, Samsung's specs list seems to be incomplete.

The product manuals are here:Feel free to discuss the 'H Series' models here.
Can anybody tell me whether Samsung BD H6500 bluray player is Region-specific or Region-Free. I would like to get this model from abroad as the same is not available in India right now.
regards
post #48 of 142 Old 07-20-2014, 02:58 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Does the Samsung BD-H5900 support 5.1 or 7.1 Dolby digital signals through it's coaxial connection? I just expanded my home theater setup to a 7.1 system and it works great with regular BD's encoded with 7.1 channels. Unfortunately, my Yamaha receiver does not support 3D HDMI and I just bought a new Samsung UHD set that has 3D. My plan is to connect the new Samsung 3D BD player directly to my Samsung UHD8550 via HDMI but route the BD audio through the receiver using a coaxial connection. I don't want to have to upgrade my receiver at this time. Even if I were to get a 5.1 dolby digital connection to work I would be happy. My guess is that this won't work. Thanks.
post #49 of 142 Old 07-26-2014, 11:16 AM

Liked: 0
The lower model BD-H5100 coaxial output works GREAT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanS View Post
Does the Samsung BD-H5900 support 5.1 or 7.1 Dolby digital signals through it's coaxial connection? I just expanded my home theater setup to a 7.1 system and it works great with regular BD's encoded with 7.1 channels. Unfortunately, my Yamaha receiver does not support 3D HDMI and I just bought a new Samsung UHD set that has 3D. My plan is to connect the new Samsung 3D BD player directly to my Samsung UHD8550 via HDMI but route the BD audio through the receiver using a coaxial connection. I don't want to have to upgrade my receiver at this time. Even if I were to get a 5.1 dolby digital connection to work I would be happy. My guess is that this won't work. Thanks.
I think you will be happy with the results! Sadly I seem to only get 5.1, and not 7.1 surround however with the coaxial digital audio connection.

I would expect the digital audio output on the other models work as well as on the BD-H5100. I bought this model for the same type of needs. I needed to be able to watch BDs on my HD display, and get surround sound to my older 7.1 surround sound receiver.

This player of course has the ability to output unprocessed bit-stream. (I believe DD+ and Dolby-HD are output as DD, and DTS-HD formats output as DTS, like the previous years models for compatibility purposes.) Also offered are the abilities to down-convert 96K audio data to 48K data streams, as well as the ability to use a bit-stream output that has been re-encoded to either DTS or DD to match whatever you are using for your surround sound!

I am very happy with this unit, it not only was inexpensive, but does EXACTLY what I needed, and even a bit more for using Blu-Ray in full surround sound with my older NON-HDMI audio system!

Last edited by electron286; 07-26-2014 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Adding additional information and adding quote of post that the reply was for
post #50 of 142 Old 07-27-2014, 05:07 AM

24Fs mode is there - on H5100

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Stockton View Post
For those who have the H5900 can you please confirm if the player can stream in 24p the same way as the F5900??
Not sure about if things are the same as the F series or not. but the 24 frame IS supported on the lower H5100 model, and I suspect it should be on the higher models the same way.

On the H5100, it is called Movie Frame (24Fs), and is a feature that needs to be enabled in the setup-video options. It is only available IF your display supports this mode, and ONLY in 1080P resolution.

Hope that helps!
post #51 of 142 Old 07-27-2014, 02:57 PM

Thinking about replacing a Media Center PC with a Samsung BD-H6500. Are there any music player apps that would allow me to create a play list for playing FLAC files stored on a network? I know the player can play the files, but what if any playlist support is there? Also would use the player to play video files from recorded OTA TV. Again I know it can play the files, but is it a major pain to find and select these files if stored on the network?

Thanks
post #52 of 142 Old 07-27-2014, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markfox View Post
Thinking about replacing a Media Center PC with a Samsung BD-H6500. Are there any music player apps that would allow me to create a play list for playing FLAC files stored on a network? I know the player can play the files, but what if any playlist support is there? Also would use the player to play video files from recorded OTA TV. Again I know it can play the files, but is it a major pain to find and select these files if stored on the network?

Thanks
Sadly it looks like the ability to add PLEX has been removed, (at least for now) from the lower models, IF it can be installed on the BD-H6500 then you may be able to access network shares directly, without that you will need to use DLNA and set up a server, and any shared media through the server interface. These players work very well with a DLNA set-up.
post #53 of 142 Old 08-03-2014, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 373
NP

65" VT50 / BDP-S7200
Denon AVR-4520CI / Emotiva XPA-3
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500

Last edited by gadgtfreek; 08-03-2014 at 10:13 AM.
post #54 of 142 Old 08-11-2014, 12:10 PM

Question Android remote-app for the BD-H6500?

Hi folks,

can somebody tell me if there is an Android remote-app in the Google Play Store for the BD-H6500?
post #55 of 142 Old 08-12-2014, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 14
The H6500 is louder than I was expecting. The PQ was very good; however, my old Sony s790 delivered a better PQ. I am mostly likely going to send the H6500 back mostly because the sound.
post #56 of 142 Old 08-15-2014, 07:54 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Picked up a Samsung BD-H6500 blu-ray player. Should I use the Deep Color setting?

I just set up a Samsung BD-H6500 blu-ray player, and don't know if I should be using the Deep Color setting or not. I've got it running via HDMI to an Onkyo TX-SR608 receiver, which then connects via HDMI to a Samsung PN60F5300 plasma tv.

The tv has been calibrated with settings I found on the reviews.plasmatvbuying.com website, which seem to be professionally done (at least by what I can tell). I don't want to spend big bucks on an in-home calibration, so hoped the settings found on that website would be accurate enough.

Anyway, I'm just wondering if using the Deep Color option in the blu-ray player settings would impact the actual television picture... for the better, worse, etc. There is also a Deep Black option on the blu-ray player, but it's shaded out as it says the tv does not support it.

I've read that all blu-ray's are 8-bit, and therefore Deep Color will do nothing, but still don't really understand it all.

Thanks!
post #57 of 142 Old 08-16-2014, 10:21 AM

Liked: 19
The H5900 and H6500 have just been rated above the OPPO 103 according to consumer reports. A difference of over $300 and the Samsung has a higher rating.
post #58 of 142 Old 08-20-2014, 05:16 AM

Hi guys,
maybe H6500 will be my next buy, I have only two questions:
- is plex app available now?
- if yes, it can play, trough plex, mkv with hd audio streams, such as dts-hd or dolby truehd?
Thx a lot!

Last edited by rabside; 08-20-2014 at 05:37 AM.
post #59 of 142 Old 08-28-2014, 03:03 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hello all,
I have the BD-H5900 and have an odd issue. Randomly it will flash a rapid static patern on the screen, about 20 times in a couple of seconds, then goes away.
It doesnt always do this, sometime not at all and other time it will happen several times durring a movie run. So far it only seems to be durring a BD play back.
It's updated with the latest firm wear. Have tried two players with the same results.
Anyone else have this happen?
post #60 of 142 Old 09-01-2014, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucerful22 View Post
I've been having an issue with my BD-H5900 maybe you folks can help me with. I've been using the player for DVD and BD without issue (so far) but when I try to stream Netflix, I'm experiencing audio glitches and drop outs in bitstream mode. The video plays smoothly all the time, and even the audio plays fine in PCM. I've tested this with both wired and wireless connections with no discernible difference between the two. I have the player connected to my receiver via digital coax. Bitstream (unprocessed) works fine for DVD and BD but my only workaround so far for the Netflix app is to change it to PCM which, of course, limits me to 2-channel PCM over digital coax. I chose Dolby Surround compatible downmix so I can apply Dolby PLII on the other end but that is not ideal. Bitstream (re-encode) seems to be ignored for Netflix and tries to send Dolby Digital 5.1 regardless of what variant I choose. Bitstream works on all other forms of media on the BD-H5900 so why not Netflix? Is there a problem with the app? Is it sending corrupt data or sending non-standard metadata that my receiver can't process? I upgraded to the latest firmware as soon as I got the player last week so I should be up to date.

*edit* It just occurred to me that there may be a bug in the conversion process from DD+ to DD since, over coaxial, it delivers the data as a plain DD track. I don't have any other source of DD+ content to test this.

I thank you in advance for any suggestions.
Unfortunately I am having the same problem with my Samsung UN60H7150AFXZA TV I just bought. I found a few threads regarding the issue, and it seems it's a problem with Samsung and their Netflix apps. The support staff people have contacted have been mostly unhelpful, but the only reasonable answer claims their app with Netflix can't handle the audio, something about it not being able to put out actual 5.1, which I say is crap. I had to change mine to PCM as well to not experience the drop-outs over "Lip-synced" HDMI. I haven't tried any other type of audio output, I bought a TV with A/V Sync for that exact reason. I hope they fix it soon, I have complained to the techs directly, same as others have.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Samsung Bd H5100 Blu Ray Disc Player , Samsung Bd H5900 3d Blu Ray Disc Player , Samsung Bd H6500 3d Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - H6500 by PriceGrabber.com