post #181 of 187 Old 06-18-2014, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1215 Post(s)
Liked: 2475
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post
So I heard the issue is I don't want to pay $4000 for a Blu Ray Player and have to repay for my BluRay discs
It's two bucks per disc to get a digital license for a Blu-ray disc, and $5 to upgrade a DVD... so it's not exactly "repaying." I do think that Kaleidecape should offer a deal where you get to convert 100 Blu-rays to discless versions for free, at the minimum.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 187 Old 06-18-2014, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
It's two bucks per disc to get a digital license for a Blu-ray disc, and $5 to upgrade a DVD... so it's not exactly "repaying." I do think that Kaleidecape should offer a deal where you get to convert 100 Blu-rays to discless versions for free, at the minimum.
And being as this uses UV. You can do the first round on Vudu for half price. Sometimes less on some discs. 100 discs from DVD to BD for $250.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk
post #183 of 187 Old 07-06-2014, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1215 Post(s)
Liked: 2475
OK now that that device is finally out of my home, I feel like I can be a bit more candid...

The Cinema One is far too expensive for the box you get. It's a plastic box! What's wrong with using aluminum? Whatever is in there—I figure it resembles a laptop's innards—requires a fan, and boots like a computer. Wouldn't an aluminum case act as a heat sink? Also, the lack of 3D support is disappointing. While Kaleidescape is a slick system, its pricing is way over the top considering what's out there these days.

Overall, while I can appreciate what Kaleidescape offers in terms of ease-of-use, the Cinema One sat on a shelf (unused) for two months, while I waited for the company to take back that demo unit. I'd rather bike to Best Buy and pick up a discount Blu-ray than wait three hours for a movie to download from the Kaleidescape store. More to the point, I suppose I'm spoiled by the instantaneous availability of Vudu HDX rentals and purchases, new HDX titles looks almost as good as Blu-ray and can sound quite decent. As a bonus, Vudu is much kinder to my monthly bandwidth allotment.

At the end of the day, a good quality streaming Blu-ray player with 3D capability costs about 5% of what a Cinema One costs and does more. It's hard for me to recommend a Kaleidescape system to anyone who doesn't have money to burn.
Daniel Chaves likes this.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by imagic; 07-06-2014 at 07:14 AM.
post #184 of 187 Old 07-06-2014, 09:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 61
My roommate has a HUGE bluray collection and I asked him if he used the Vudu codes and he was like whats that and I was like oh for streaming and he was like oh, so I asked him if I could use them, he said yes, went through ALL of his blurays and in one day added around 100 HDX titles to my account ^_^ so now Im kinda digging Vudu lol but it wont replace my hard copies, I mean I Know they are owned by Walmart but you never know what their future holds so yeah I will continue to use it as a free service that I add codes to when I get them.

As for Kaleidescape, I agree cut the price in half, make a nice aluminum housing and just make it feel as much as it cost, throw in 3d and maybe the ability to upgrade parts of the unit at a discounted rate as tech progresses.

post #185 of 187 Old 07-07-2014, 04:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 43
^ you should add your roommates email address to your UV account.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk
post #186 of 187 Old 07-07-2014, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Chaves View Post
My roommate has a HUGE bluray collection and I asked him if he used the Vudu codes and he was like whats that and I was like oh for streaming and he was like oh, so I asked him if I could use them, he said yes, went through ALL of his blurays and in one day added around 100 HDX titles to my account ^_^ so now Im kinda digging Vudu lol but it wont replace my hard copies, I mean I Know they are owned by Walmart but you never know what their future holds so yeah I will continue to use it as a free service that I add codes to when I get them.

As for Kaleidescape, I agree cut the price in half, make a nice aluminum housing and just make it feel as much as it cost, throw in 3d and maybe the ability to upgrade parts of the unit at a discounted rate as tech progresses.

You just don't get streaming you also get a download file especially with UV and it upcoming CFF.
post #187 of 187 Old 07-07-2014, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
I'd rather bike to Best Buy and pick up a discount Blu-ray than wait three hours for a movie to download from the Kaleidescape store. More to the point, I suppose I'm spoiled by the instantaneous availability of Vudu HDX rentals and purchases, new HDX titles looks almost as good as Blu-ray and can sound quite decent. As a bonus, Vudu is much kinder to my monthly bandwidth allotment.
I don't get the point of this device either, but your comment about downloading struck me. Are their servers slow, or is your connection slow? Comcast, at 105mbps, should be able to pull a full Blu-ray in under an hour. Also, are they doing caps in Philly? Up here, I can do 1500GB in a month with no repercussions...
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Kaleidescape , Kaleidescape Cinema One Ultimate Movie Server Silver , Sony Bdp S5100 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi
Gear in this thread - S5100 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page