Envizen Digital/Azend Group, Corp. BDP-M1061 Portable Blu-ray Player - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-14-2014, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Envizen Digital/Azend Group, Corp. BDP-M1061 Portable Blu-ray Player

My beloved Sony BDP-SX910 portable died yesterday. So if I wanted something brand new, I had a choice between this one and an RCA. I decided not to go with the RCA because I went through five replacements of their CD/Cassette/AM/FM boombox in the late 90s. So I just placed an order for this BDP-M1061 last night. The things I found appealing about it are its 10.1" 1024x600 screen, NTSC/Pal systems, and USB playback. No mention of this in the product discription, but after reading the manual, it mentioned settings for ... get ready for this ... SACD! What? A portable SACD player? Maybe this was a typo, but if this is true, get yourself a good pair of headphones and you might have a winner! It's not supposed to be delivered until sometime between next Thursday and next Saturday. However, as soon as I get it, I'll try it out, put it through my tests and experaments, and keep you posted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2014, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

When I received the first player, the disc door wouldn't stay shut. So I got a refund and replaced it with another player of the same brand and model number. It's no poorman's portable. If you're familiar with the Yamaha BD-A1010, it literally is a portable version of it without DVD-AUDIO. It uses a MediaTek CPU. It has legacy A/V output, SPDIF, and HDMI output. It is compatible with NTSC, Pal, or both. Its HDMI audio options are very flexible, including Bitstreaming, Reencoding, and PCM (which depending on your speaker settings can be anywhere from 2-channel to 7.1-channel). It turns out that there is no typo in the manual and that there really are SACD settings. I haven't tested SACDs yet via headphones or via HDMI, but if you're a true audiovideophile, this could very well be the portable for you! In case you're curious, my JAVA/BDLIVE BD of "The Grudge" took about 30 seconds to load before the Sony theme started playing. Other players in my collection have taken as little as 16-18 seconds to as long as almost a minute or two. Its internal screen doesn't look as good as a screen in a home theatre system. While its internal speakers aren't as good as some of those small iPod docs, considering they're placed directly below its 10.1" 1024x600 screen, the sound is better than other units which sound like everything is being played through a megaphone or something. If you want better portable sound, you'd be better off using it with headphones. If you want a more accurate picture, connect it to a CRT, Plasma, or OLED. Some bigger LCD TVs can do pretty well too. I don't know if it's from the anti-glare matt finish, but I've noticed on this player, as well as my Sony BDP-SX910 and Philips PB9001 that when playing video on its internal screen, whites seem to have a small touch of green, and reds are undersaturated and orange. Maybe after hanging around AVS since April of 2008, I have developed expectations that would be impossible to meet on portable player screens. Envizen Digital still lists this player on their website. I hope it's not discontinued because the only way you can get it these days is through major retailors via third-party sellers.

Last edited by Big C; 06-28-2014 at 10:52 AM.
Old 06-30-2014, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Regarding SACD playback, I have bad news. While there are menu settings for SACD playback, it gives an unknown disc error when trying to play SACDs. I don't understand how a format could be in the firmware, yet the hardware isn't compatible with that particular format. On the other hand, this player does play everything else very well. So if you plan on getting this player, don't let the SACD issue impact your decision if movies and regular CDDA CDs matter to you.
Old 08-10-2016, 03:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Bumping this old thread because I am in the market for a portable Blu-ray player. This Azend model appears to now be the only game in town. Does anybody have any additional feedback on this unit? I want something to watch BDs on a plane and also to be able to hook up to hotel TVs via HDMI to watch movies. I realize the rest of the world is all about streaming these days, but there's nothing like just popping in a disk and hitting play. Thx.
Old 08-29-2016, 07:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
NMJack,
The SONY SX910 is still around, at least in the UK.
(I cannot copy a link. For that, my post count must be 5 or greater, and this is my first post.)
It is on the amazon.co.uk site at £399.00
SONY SX910 (9" Screen) Portable, Region Code Free, Blu-Ray Player PAL/NTSC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement