Yamaha BD-S677 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 44 Old 07-09-2014, 10:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yamaha BD-S677

I am looking for some universal BD/CD/media player that can play my lossless
hi-res files via USB and came across nice offer from Amazon for Yamaha BD-S677:
http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-BD-S677...pr_product_top

For $255 Yamaha seems to offer all the features that OPPO BDP-103 is offering for $499, at least on paper.

Has anybody tried this Yamaha player?

Your experience and thoughts are appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 07-10-2014, 04:57 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Not quite Universal. It does not support DVD-A.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #3 of 44 Old 07-10-2014, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
OK, thank you!
But what do you think about this player?
post #4 of 44 Old 09-25-2014, 07:18 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Yamaha BD-S677

Any love for Yamaha Blu Ray players in this forum?? In particular the new BD-S677..The specs look pretty solid and its on sale ...any thoughts or comments would be appreciated..

Thanks...

bignorm is my bulldog!!
post #5 of 44 Old 09-29-2014, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 75
I would like to hear from owners of this model too.

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
post #6 of 44 Old 12-19-2014, 07:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Guess no one here likes Yamaha recently.

Ok, this question; between the 1040A and this, other than the $100 difference in price, the addition of Bluetooth, the DVD Audio and a few more buttons on the remote, are there are other real differences?

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #7 of 44 Old 01-14-2015, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlad2304 View Post
I am looking for some universal BD/CD/media player that can play my lossless
hi-res files via USB and came across nice offer from Amazon for Yamaha BD-S677:
http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-BD-S677...pr_product_top

For $255 Yamaha seems to offer all the features that OPPO BDP-103 is offering for $499, at least on paper.

Has anybody tried this Yamaha player?

Your experience and thoughts are appreciated.
I bought this unit a few weeks ago from A4Less for $219 including shipping.
The long and short of it is this, It's light, and it 'feels' light, does NOT exude sturdy construction.
That said, the Audio performance is Stellar! With CD's/HDCD's/SACD's the audio fidelity is amongst the best I've heard from any player, and that's saying something.
The loading time is fast, very fast compared to older UP's. The remote is cheap feeling, but laid out well. Visually on BluRay's the picture is pedestrian out of the box. Nothing special but nothing really bad either. As i bought this for it's Audio capabilities the Video side of it isn't that important to me.
So, it's worth $219 but not much more. It's just nothing more than mass market chinese product....BUT....the audio performance transcends it's price/build point by a large margin.
If your looking for a UPlayer for a little bit more $ that DOES exude Sturdy Construction, for $80 more A4Less has the Marantz UD5007, but it doesn't decode HDCD'S. But it is the real deal and it's pq is stunning along with it's audio performance.
take care
mickboy

"We Never Really Got It On Until Detroit"
M.Jagger 1969
post #8 of 44 Old 01-19-2015, 12:59 PM

Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickboy View Post
I bought this unit a few weeks ago from A4Less for $219 including shipping.
The long and short of it is this, It's light, and it 'feels' light, does NOT exude sturdy construction.
That said, the Audio performance is Stellar! With CD's/HDCD's/SACD's the audio fidelity is amongst the best I've heard from any player, and that's saying something.
The loading time is fast, very fast compared to older UP's. The remote is cheap feeling, but laid out well. Visually on BluRay's the picture is pedestrian out of the box. Nothing special but nothing really bad either. As i bought this for it's Audio capabilities the Video side of it isn't that important to me.
So, it's worth $219 but not much more. It's just nothing more than mass market chinese product....BUT....the audio performance transcends it's price/build point by a large margin.
If your looking for a UPlayer for a little bit more $ that DOES exude Sturdy Construction, for $80 more A4Less has the Marantz UD5007, but it doesn't decode HDCD'S. But it is the real deal and it's pq is stunning along with it's audio performance.
take care
mickboy
Thanks for the review! I just ordered this unit from Amazon, mostly because I was amazed that it supports SACD for the price. I just cancelled the order, and am getting the marantz instead. More news later.
post #9 of 44 Old 01-19-2015, 02:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
It's light, and it 'feels' light, does NOT exude sturdy construction.
But, does that affect quality and performance? I kinda doubt it. The main board & power supply seem well designed. They are on opposite sides of the chassis. The only thing that really looks and feels cheap is that remote.
Telephones (both consumer and business), the base and especially the handset use to have weights in them to give the feel of something solid. They preform just as well without the extra weight which was nothing but a 'conjob'.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	677 interior small.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	691.3 KB
ID:	488938  
Brenda Johnson likes this.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.

Last edited by videobruce; 01-19-2015 at 02:46 PM.
post #10 of 44 Old 01-19-2015, 03:01 PM

Yes, please let us know how you like the Marantz.
It really is in a different league than the Yamaha, although if somebody wanted to get a decent player cheap then the Yamaha fits the bill.

One thing on the Marantz. If your getting the refurb, when you hook it up to the Network if there are any hic cups go to the setup menu and negotiate it to the 'Network' area. My second unit was previously set to 'On' for Proxy server. You, in normal setup don't use a proxy server, especially on a home network. So just set it to 'disable' and you'll be good to go.
Kids crying now, more later.
Mickboy

M.Jagger 1969
post #11 of 44 Old 01-20-2015, 03:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

There is no optical and/or coaxial audio out on that??
The completely rules that out.

post #12 of 44 Old 01-20-2015, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
But, does that affect quality and performance? I kinda doubt it. The main board & power supply seem well designed. They are on opposite sides of the chassis. The only thing that really looks and feels cheap is that remote.
Telephones (both consumer and business), the base and especially the handset use to have weights in them to give the feel of something solid. They preform just as well without the extra weight which was nothing but a 'conjob'.

Very True Bruce. Now that I've had a couple of weeks with the player let me do a little update.
Yes, the Remote is POS cheap but it works as it should. You can do things like 'Random' and 'Repeat' from the remote and that emulated a dedicated CD deck pretty well.
I ran this thing for about 8 straight days of constant playing, didn't even break a sweat, did not get warm or hot-so performance wise, it's a very good deck. And again, I'm very impressed with the Texas Instrument 32 bit DAC. On HDCD'S the sound in on par with SACD's. I'll say that again, to my ears, the HDCD performance is Equal to SACD'S. The fidelity is THAT good.
Now the front display is very plain. Your NOT going to get the kind of display the Marantz gives, but you do get track and elapsed time or time remaining. Again very basic, but remember we're dealing with a 'bluray' Universal Player as opposed to a Dedicated CD player. So, I'll up my impression of the Yammy to a 8 from a 6.5. This 'could' turn out to be a player that lasts 20 years! Funnier things have happened. But for people looking for a 'value' SACD/HDCD player need look no further. Again, if I were to buy another one, I would pop the top and make sure all the circuit board and transport screws are tightened properly, but remember doing so could void the warranty. For me, it's peace of mind to know that the transport isn't going to shake itself into self destruction, especially if your going to be using this as a DVD/BluRay player.
So, for $219 from Accessories4Less, a good, very good Audio Bargain. And it performs, so far, very very well, even going 8 days 24/7 with no rest at all.
Mickboy

M.Jagger 1969
post #13 of 44 Old 01-20-2015, 06:33 PM

Quote:
There is no optical and/or coaxial audio out on that??
The completely rules that out.
The Yammy DOES offer a Coaxial and Toslink Digital Audio out, which makes it then a transport. Not Bad....
Here is the picture:

https://www.google.com/search?q=yama...l%3B3192%3B880

mickboy

M.Jagger 1969
post #14 of 44 Old 01-21-2015, 03:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

mickboy;
That statement refereed to your immediate previous post on the Marantz. I have the 677, (which is where that pic came from that I posted). Those features were one reason why I choose it.
One other thing, power consumption is 1/3 what it was on their 667 (8 vs 23 watts).

post #15 of 44 Old 01-21-2015, 11:29 AM

Quote:
mickboy;
That statement refereed to your immediate previous post on the Marantz. I have the 677, (which is where that pic came from that I posted). Those features were one reason why I choose it.
One other thing, power consumption is 1/3 what it was on their 667 (8 vs 23 watts).
Wow Bruce, that's just nuts! 8 watts is nothing. It just keeps amazing me how quickly technology is evolving. And things keep getting cheaper. If it ever gets to the point where Physical Media is abandoned then at least we'll have some good backup units to put into use. But, boy will that be weird if all of the sudden we look around and there are no CD's Or DVD's Or BluRay discs to buy, just downloads.......
Not a pleasant thought.
But it is nice that the Yammy has the Toslink/Coaxial out's for audio. That makes it a more versatile unit, being able to act as a disc 'transport'
Take Care.
Mickboy

M.Jagger 1969
post #16 of 44 Old 01-21-2015, 01:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I was surprised that between disc spin and actually reading a Blu Ray. the increase was only around a watt. The 677 used a SATA cable for optical drive where this uses a flat ribbon cable.

post #17 of 44 Old 01-22-2015, 04:36 AM

Well, as I mentioned in the Marantz thread, I ended up buying the Yamaha instead. I set it up last night, and it sounds great! I bought it new through Amazon, so I didn't end up grabbing the build date off the back (and I forgot anyway, since I was in a big hurry to hear the new toy). Thanks to all, mickboy especially, for all the helpful info.
post #18 of 44 Old 01-25-2015, 08:56 AM

I purchased this player as well for $250.00 new in box from Amazon..

I don't think it feels or looks cheap...it weighs in at around 6 pounds and seems pretty solid...

I purchased strictly for spinning Blurays and nothing else..

I thought it was just me, but I noticed how well it sounds..it throws out a great image, but the sound is amazing....

If you are looking for a player simply to spin Bluray ..then this player is a great bargain....

bignorm is my bulldog!!
post #19 of 44 Old 01-25-2015, 10:33 AM

Any thoughts on optimum audio/visual settings would truly be appreciated. I've recently made some big (for me) changes to my modest little system -- namely, the purchase of the Yamaha and of a Pioneer SC-1223-K -- and frankly, what these components are capable of is new territory for me. To give you an idea, the receiver I replaced was an old Denon AVR-3300. I'm not sure I quite "get" how to optimize the output settings from the Yamaha.
post #20 of 44 Old 01-25-2015, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda Johnson View Post
Any thoughts on optimum audio/visual settings would truly be appreciated. I've recently made some big (for me) changes to my modest little system -- namely, the purchase of the Yamaha and of a Pioneer SC-1223-K -- and frankly, what these components are capable of is new territory for me. To give you an idea, the receiver I replaced was an old Denon AVR-3300. I'm not sure I quite "get" how to optimize the output settings from the Yamaha.
Congrats Brenda!
I haven't seen anything yet on the net about optimizing the video settings or if that is even necessary.
I'll keep looking as somebody out there should have a 'test' disc that they can play on the Yammy and report on any adjustments that might be needed. Straight factory, it looks pretty clean at default. Now remember to peel off the plastic 'film' covering the plastic 'window' on the front, It will make the player look a thousand times better without the protective film on.

Enjoy and keep us in the loop on your experience.
Mickboy

M.Jagger 1969
post #21 of 44 Old 01-25-2015, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignorm View Post
I purchased this player as well for $250.00 new in box from Amazon..

I don't think it feels or looks cheap...it weighs in at around 6 pounds and seems pretty solid...

I purchased strictly for spinning Blurays and nothing else..

I thought it was just me, but I noticed how well it sounds..it throws out a great image, but the sound is amazing....

If you are looking for a player simply to spin Bluray ..then this player is a great bargain....

Hello Norm.
I was comparing it to the Marantz UD5007 which is 4 pounds heavier-but it is pretty solid. It's also nice to have a BR player that's full size instead of the little units like the sony's which only weigh 2 pounds!! But I do have one of those because they do streaming very very well. So enjoy your unit and keep us up on how you like it.
And the audio IS amazing, sounds as good a a thousand dollar player, and that's no lie.
And here's some pics of what the guts look like:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6001.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	220.7 KB
ID:	501777   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6002.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	223.2 KB
ID:	501785   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6003.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	223.4 KB
ID:	501793   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6006.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	215.2 KB
ID:	501801   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6010.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	222.1 KB
ID:	501809  

Brenda Johnson likes this.

M.Jagger 1969
post #22 of 44 Old 01-25-2015, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Congrats Brenda!
Now remember to peel off the plastic 'film' covering the plastic 'window' on the front, It will make the player look a thousand times better without the protective film on.

Enjoy and keep us in the loop on your experience.
Mickboy
I think I actually forgot to do that
post #23 of 44 Old 01-25-2015, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda Johnson View Post
I think I actually forgot to do that
It really brings out the 'glass' type quality in the display. But with it on it makes it look dull.
I'm listening to the Stones right now audio only. I just uploaded some pics of the inside. The circuit boards are very high quality. I guess I'm stunned at how technology has shrunk everything. Just three years ago there were a lot more guts inside and they had to use a computer fan to keep it from blowing up. Now we have THIS! Just amazing.
And just for comparisons sake, the Marantz's guts aren't much more than the Yammy's. And the basic layout is about the same. So at less than 1/2 price the Yamaha is really the better deal when you think about it.

Enjoy!
Mickboy having a great time with my friends on AVS!

M.Jagger 1969
post #24 of 44 Old 01-25-2015, 01:48 PM

Red face

Quote:
Hello Norm.
I was comparing it to the Marantz UD5007 which is 4 pounds heavier-but it is pretty solid. It's also nice to have a BR player that's full size instead of the little units like the sony's which only weigh 2 pounds!! But I do have one of those because they do streaming very very well. So enjoy your unit and keep us up on how you like it.
And the audio IS amazing, sounds as good a a thousand dollar player, and that's no lie.
And here's some pics of what the guts look like:
Thanks....I'm more than happy....nice to see this player getting some love....

bignorm is my bulldog!!
post #25 of 44 Old 01-25-2015, 08:16 PM

I have to say this player is really fabulous as far as sound is concerned, and the blu-ray performance is great as well. It's also the best DLNA experience (granted, this is not saying much) I've had so far. I own three components that purport to be DLNA certified. One (my panasonic DMP-BDP320 blu-ray player) refuses to see my PC at all. My Pioneer SC-1223 AV receiver sees too much-- there's apparently a ton of stuff I've ripped to the PC that can't be played by the Pioneer, but the Pioneer shows it anyway, and there's no way to sort what it will or won't play without trying to play it. Ugh. The Yamaha doesn't play these files either, but it doesn't clutter the menu up with the crap it won't play, which makes it a much more useable device. And the streaming sounds very good. If anyone cares, I haven't been able to get Miracast to work yet. My Moto X doesn't see the Yamaha, for whatever reason. I almost went out to buy a cheapo Windows tablet (Micro Center's got one for 60 bucks) to see if that would work, but frankly I'm not that interested.

I would add this too: It's annoying that this unit is so limited in what it will do from a streaming standpoint, but it's pretty user friendly with what it does do.

Last edited by Brenda Johnson; 01-25-2015 at 08:25 PM. Reason: More to say
post #26 of 44 Old 02-09-2015, 07:15 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I was looking at picking up this player, How is the DVD up scaling of the player? I am looking for one device that does everything well.

Keith
post #27 of 44 Old 02-09-2015, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkg228 View Post
I was looking at picking up this player, How is the DVD up scaling of the player? I am looking for one device that does everything well.

Keith
It doesn't do 4K upscaling, if that's something you care about, but it does a very nice job of DVD upscaling (at least to my eye).
post #28 of 44 Old 02-09-2015, 02:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

It's at least as good, if not slightly better than the Oppo 970 (which I have had for years). One huge plus is the ability to easily move from one chapter to another over the 970 quirky setup.
I had no intention spending $500+ for just a player, but I also had littlre intention to go with one of those dime-a-dozen $100 (or less) players either. I can't believe thr high numbers of bad players with the ones I read about.

Last edited by videobruce; 02-09-2015 at 03:03 PM.
post #29 of 44 Old 02-10-2015, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks for the replies I don't need 4k just looking for a nice disk playing only machine. BR, DVDs and CDs.
post #30 of 44 Old 02-11-2015, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkg228 View Post
Thanks for the replies I don't need 4k just looking for a nice disk playing only machine. BR, DVDs and CDs.
you wont be disappointed with this player....

bignorm is my bulldog!!
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
oppo bdp-103
Gear in this thread - bdp-103 by PriceGrabber.com