No Love for 2014 LG Blu-ray Players? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 08-02-2014, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 47
No Love for 2014 LG Blu-ray Players?

After expressing little interest for a long time, my father recently indicated he would like to stream Netflix and might like to check out blu-rays (he has a very large DVD collection). So I have been doing some research on a new blu-ray player for my father that 1) plays blu-rays well (seems most do), 2) upscale his DVDs well to give him a better picture playing DVD, 3) does wifi and streaming well in terms of few dropouts and hangups plus quality of picture and 4) is relatively easy to use and not confusing for someone who would prefer simplicity over options.

I saw that the LG BD540 is inexpensive and seems to get good reviews with HD Guru liking it, and The Wirecutter naming it their best blu-ray player for 2014:

http://hdguru.com/lg-bp540-blu-ray-player-review/

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-blu-ray-player/

But here on AVS forum, I don't find an "official" thread for this years LG players, no discussion of the BD540 player verses say the Sony S5200 and S6200, Panny DBT360, or Samsung H5900, and very little discussion of LG blu-ray players in general. Are LG's players just not as good as the comparably priced mainstream players from Sony, Samsung and Panasonic (Not talking compared to Oppo here)?

Should I ignore The Wirecutter and HD Guru and not look at LG players, especially the BD540 as a good possibility for my Dad? I can see that people have preferences but the almost total lack of support for LG here surprised me, and I would like to know what's up or why no-one here likes LG's players.

Thanks in advance for your insight.

As an aside, I have an Oppo BDP83 that is still going strong doing blu-ray duty for me since 2009.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-03-2014, 09:59 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi.

I bought a BDP-630 six months ago. It is the last model before the top of the line BDP-730.
My previous player was a Samsung C5500.
I have to admit LG covered pretty much everything on these players.
I tested from Netflix to several encoded movies, discs, DLNA, wireless... everything works great.

My problem with these players are music support:

- No support for FLAC/AAC/MP3 tags and album art. (Being that Audio CD has full support for artwork and song titles provided you are networked.)
- No support for programming tracks and playing back in the order you choose.
- There is also no screen-saver when you are using the player to play music files or CDs. This is a big downer.

I contacted LG and gave them a hint on how this could be done via a software update.
They just ignored me saying "Suggestion collected. Thanks".

The guys construct an spectacular player, but don't do a self test drive to guess what the user will want.

And, the other day, out of nowhere, it reset its settings without warning.
Don't know what caused this. It happened once only. Can't figure what triggered it.
But I spent another five minutes to reconfigure it and it's all good again.

Last edited by kraftytwo; 08-03-2014 at 10:07 PM.
post #3 of 13 Old 08-04-2014, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Kraftytwo.

I agree the music support issues you mention are problematic. For my father it isn't an issue, but if I were looking for myself it would be an issue.

It's good to hear on playing discs and streaming services, it has worked very well for you. I worry that I am missing something because they seem pretty good compared to some similar priced players from the other major players, yet there is almost no discussion of them here on AVS. I've always trusted AVS and gotten great information over the years, so I worry there is some big problem with LG players that I am missing. Even regardless of trying to get one for my Dad, I am just interested why LG players seem so much less popular on AVS than Sony, Samsung and Panasonic. We'll see.

On the issue of randomly resetting its settings, that is odd, and more of a concern for me than the music issues. It would really be annoying if it did this every few months.
post #4 of 13 Old 08-04-2014, 12:53 PM

Hi there again peka j.

Well, I am very pick with choosing a player, and last time I went for a new purchase, I made sure I checked all possibilities before getting Sony, Samsung, Panasonic or LG.

Panasonic shut down its Blu-Ray player production in Brazil. So that brand was out of the question and importing was too expensive. As for Philips, I have never been a fan of this dutch company, because their products lack the final polish and feel like rushed out to market, so it was not counted as a choice. (Last Philips DVD Player I owned really made my mind about this company).

I flerted with Sony but their support for subtitles ruled Sony out of the fight - poor support for .SRT files. Samsung was great with subtitles but their superb model isn't really available here. What we have here is the F-5500 which is a capped to many features. I have read that a possible choice could have been F-7500.

I decided to go with LG, basically it had the most of every other player. From what I have researched, even "badly" encoded MP4/MKV files do play on LG models. Usually I wouldn't get some of them to play on the Samsung. I have a friend who has also been complaining about not playing some MKV files on a Sony BDP-S1100. Because the LG capability is so good in playing media files, I even stopped renting Blu-Ray discs... Seriously, since my purchase I must have watched 3 Blu-Ray movies only.

I think the LG BDP-630/730 is way better constructed than Samsung and newest Sony models. Samsung disc tray was ridiculously thin and Sony's not that far.

3D I never used, so I can't tell...

Concerning the resetting issue, I do remember that it was after a software update. So now I know it had something to do with it. I remember it wanted to update itself on the spot and it did - it restarted but the next day it reset its settings. This was the second official update it went through after purchase.

Another new annoyance I am observing is that when I plug my 1TB WD Passport hard drive, sometimes it won't recognize. It always works in 1 out of 3 trials. Perhaps there is a miliampere issue going on since devices cannot fetch more than 500mA. So perhaps my Passport is just needing a bit more than that, who knows.

I am also missing RCA connectors from it. My current setup would demand me to purchase an optical-to-analog adaptor for USD 50.

But to answer the question, really, is that I would have gone with a Panasonic if I had the choice.

Last edited by kraftytwo; 08-04-2014 at 01:01 PM.
post #5 of 13 Old 08-05-2014, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 60
HD Guru says that DVD playback on the LG produces jaggies that other players don't, but doesn't mention them. And The Wirecutter article states that the LG does a great job of anti-aliasing so that jaggies don't appear on DVDs. So I am not sure which to believe.
post #6 of 13 Old 08-08-2014, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToonMasterTim View Post
HD Guru says that DVD playback on the LG produces jaggies that other players don't, but doesn't mention them. And The Wirecutter article states that the LG does a great job of anti-aliasing so that jaggies don't appear on DVDs. So I am not sure which to believe.
Good point. I am between the LG and the Panasonic DMP-BDT360 since Panasonic didn't release a BDT260 in the US. But aside from that issue, I am still curious about why LG players are so much less popular on AVS. Just seems weird since outside AVS they seem on equal footing as far placement in stores, mentions in magazine reviews, etc. as Panasonic, Samsung and Sony.
post #7 of 13 Old 08-16-2014, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by peka j. View Post
Good point. I am between the LG and the Panasonic DMP-BDT360 since Panasonic didn't release a BDT260 in the US. But aside from that issue, I am still curious about why LG players are so much less popular on AVS. Just seems weird since outside AVS they seem on equal footing as far placement in stores, mentions in magazine reviews, etc. as Panasonic, Samsung and Sony.
Someone asked him for clarification on this over on The Wirecutter website: http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/bes...ent-1542929010

The reviewer's response:
"Titanic is a bit of a torture test of DVD upscaling. It's a non-anamorphic transfer so it has less resolution, and all of the cables on a ship create angles that are very prone to jaggies. The Oppo is better at this, as is the (now discontinued) Sony BDP-S790 ..."
post #8 of 13 Old 08-30-2014, 11:24 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
New lg bd 540 best settings?

Just brought home the LG BP540. Had a couple of questions......should the sampling frequency be set at 46,96 or 192? Also gives me option for 60 hz or 24? I will mainly be streaming with an occasional dvd viewing. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Only negative so far is the sound privacy function is not working properly.......audio on iphone not syncing with picture on tv....tried different films,didn't matter. Any ideas?
post #9 of 13 Old 09-04-2014, 12:21 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmartinijr1 View Post
Just brought home the LG BP540. Had a couple of questions......should the sampling frequency be set at 46,96 or 192? Also gives me option for 60 hz or 24? I will mainly be streaming with an occasional dvd viewing. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Only negative so far is the sound privacy function is not working properly.......audio on iphone not syncing with picture on tv....tried different films,didn't matter. Any ideas?
I don't know about the sampling frequency, but as for 60 Hz or 24 Hz, that is 60 frames per second (TV broadcasts) or 24 frames per second (film cadence). Some TVs handle 24p correctly, if the TV can run at a hertz that is a factor of 24. Even then though, some do not handle it well, causing flicker, judder, or other issues. Reviews often point this out, but you can test it yourself, too.

The TV will likely have settings on it also that enable you to change what it outputs. For instance, on my plasma I can select 24 or 60 Hz, but 24 Hz causes flicker when receiving a 24 Hz signal, so I stick with 60 Hz. Even if the Blu-ray player outputs 24 Hz/p, the TV, in my case, will convert it to 60. I'm used to 60, so it's never been an issue for me. If you have an LCD, you may have 120 Hz or 240 Hz options.

By the way, I saw that The Wirecutter and Robert Heron both recommend the LG 540 this year. There is no official thread for it here in the forums. How do you like it? Is the build quality good? For instance, is the disc drawer solid or flimsy and thin like on the Sonys? And is it a quiet player? What are your impressions of it? And how would you compare it to other players you have used?
post #10 of 13 Old 09-04-2014, 10:30 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked a lot till internet connectivity went out on me yesterday....2 weeks in. Lg sending me an update disc in 3 days that they say will fix the problem. Like most decks I've had it is a little flimsy but don't have any kids or anything like that that could be a potential problem with that. Picture quality is outstanding. Great apps,quiet as a mouse too. Great deal too....89 bucks at my local best buy. Don't have 3d tv so can't comment on that though. Hopefully my connectivity problem will be worked out and everything will be fine. Highly recommend this player.
ToonMasterTim likes this.
post #11 of 13 Old 09-06-2014, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 19
LG BP-540 is at good sale at Frys for $69.99. Cheapest I have seen so far. Great deal for a well reviewed 3D BD player. Planning to pick one up today.

Vinod
post #12 of 13 Old 09-10-2014, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Got the LG BP-540. Unable to sign on to Amazon instant video even though there is an app for it. Went to Amazon & BP-540 is not even listed as a compatible device. Anybody have any ideas?

Vinod
post #13 of 13 Old Yesterday, 06:02 PM

Liked: 12
Did LG drop support for network shares from the new generation of players? The manual doesn't talk about anything but DLNA. I DESPISE DLNA! If so, what was the last LG player that supported shares?
Reply Blu-ray Players
Gear in this thread - BD540 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page