Do Blu-ray players output 24 Hz when streaming Netflix and Vudu? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 08-07-2014, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Do Blu-ray players output 24 Hz when streaming Netflix and Vudu?

If I buy a Blu-ray player and watch a 1080p24-encoded Blu-ray disc, then that player will output a 24 Hz picture signal. My TV supports 24 Hz input, so I will be watching that Blu-ray at 24 frames per second. When I watch Netflix or Vudu via that same Blu-ray player's built-in Netflix and Vudu apps, and stream a 1080p24-encoded movie or TV show, will the Blu-ray player pass along that unadulterated 24 Hz picture signal to my TV, or will it convert it to 60 Hz?

I asked Netflix this in an online chat with their customer service, and I was told that when it comes to Netflix, the Blu-ray player will pass along an unadulterated 24 Hz picture signal to my TV. I am waiting to get an email from Vudu for their response to this question as well. The reason I am posting this here is I want to see if you all agree with the answer that Netflix's customer service gave me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-09-2014, 08:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Not sure about Vudu but only a select handful of devices would do 1080p24 Netflix. Current Samsung BD players and older Roku devices come to mind. I am not certain but I think Panasonic BD players might do 1080p24 Netflix as well. The rest will convert to 60 hz. IMHO, it may make a minor difference in may be a brief panning scene or two in a movie so I don't think it's that big a deal.
post #3 of 3 Old 08-10-2014, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 352
I also disagree with Netflix's answer. 24p pass-thru from a BD player is rare. This is a well known fact. I can only assume they told you what you wanted to hear to get you off the phone or had no idea what they were talking about.

Keep in mind that while Panny will play 24p Netflix, it can do little else in terms of streaming, especially when it comes to more than a handful of file types. Personally I would go for a better player and forget about 24p. You'll never notice the difference. All my 60fps Netflix streamers are smooth as silk. I can't tell any difference from my 24p ones. If you must have 24p, get a Roku for streaming and a BD player for discs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page