Blu-Ray Writer? - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 09-03-2014, 12:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Blu-Ray Writer?

OK, stupid question. I'm looking online and scanning the titles of the threads in this forum. No one seems to comment on my question. I see any number of discussions relating to Blu-Ray players. What I do not see is any thread that discusses how one might burn Blu-Ray disks for themselves.

Specifically, I would like to know if there is a disk drive I can install on my desktop that will allow me to burn a Blu-Ray disk in the same way that I can currently burn a DVD. Is this something people do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-03-2014, 03:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked: 301
BD burners and discs are dirt cheap and everywhere. But if that's what you want to do to backup your movie, that's not most ppl do these days. Ppl typically rip the BD discs and store them on the NAS so that they can stream them to the players without the hassle or cost of burning a disc (which have quite a few hurdles to overcome other than the burner, and sometimes impossible due to the new Cinavia protection).

Last edited by Foxbat121; 09-03-2014 at 03:36 AM.
post #3 of 12 Old 09-03-2014, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Send a message via Yahoo to JDLIVE
Yes, you can get the pretty cheap. I have an LG drive that I've used to make copies of HD basketball games that I've saved/edited. Works very well.
post #4 of 12 Old 09-03-2014, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 266
The software you will want depends on exactly what format you want the discs to take.

My cousins were trying all these digital to analog to digital conversion to get home movies off an HD digital camcorder onto DVDs. I got them set up with a bluray burner - they just drag the MTS files from the camera to the bluray drive in Windows Explorer. Their bluray player reads it as a data disc, so they use that as the "menu" and can select their movies.

At first we burned a few HD MTS files onto blank DVDs. Their bluray player played most of them ok, but the highest bitrate ones were bogged down by the DVD spec transfer rate.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #5 of 12 Old 09-03-2014, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses! After doing a little research, I realize that I would rather dispense with disks entirely if I can...but I want to play the media on my TV, and not on my computer. Can I use a WiFi connection to my computer to do this? Are there specific players that do this best?
post #6 of 12 Old 09-03-2014, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter

OK, looks like what I really need is a device to stream content, and not any kind of player. The one that has been suggested to me is the WD TV by Western Digital. Any other recommendations?
post #7 of 12 Old 09-04-2014, 03:28 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takayama1962 View Post
OK, looks like what I really need is a device to stream content, and not any kind of player. The one that has been suggested to me is the WD TV by Western Digital. Any other recommendations?

Yup, the WD TV Live SMP is a good little streamer......I have multiples of them in the house streaming content from my HTPC. You will want to ensure a "wired" connection vs using a "wifi" connection. You will get better performance out of it that way......
Check out the official thread here.....

*Official* WD TV Live Streaming Media Player Thread

Toys

Denon AVR-3311CI, Denon DVP-602CI, B&K EX4420, B&K TX4430, Belkin PF60
Sony BDP-S5000ES, Silverstone HTPC (6 Tuner DVR & 10 TB Media)
PSB Stratus Minis, PSB Stratus C6, PSB Alpha S surround, James Subwoofer EMB-1200
Sharp LC-70LE755U, Harmony 880 Remote
post #8 of 12 Old 09-04-2014, 05:13 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toys7505 View Post
You will want to ensure a "wired" connection vs using a "wifi" connection.
^^^ This

I have a WDTV HD in my bedroom and I had to hardwire it to my network to play Blu-ray rips without stuttering.

post #9 of 12 Old 09-04-2014, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toys7505 View Post
Yup, the WD TV Live SMP is a good little streamer......I have multiples of them in the house streaming content from my HTPC. You will want to ensure a "wired" connection vs using a "wifi" connection. You will get better performance out of it that way......
Check out the official thread here.....

*Official* WD TV Live Streaming Media Player Thread

Toys
The device I was planning to get is actually the latest model, the one Western Digital calls "WDBYMN0000NBK." No, I really don't care that it doesn't offer Netflix. My TV has a Netflix button.

I was reading that this is supposed to be a step up from the WD TV Live...but also that it is not necessarily much of a step up. Some have commented that the newer model seems faster; others have expressed the opinion that there is no real difference at all.

Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropkick Murphy View Post
^^^ This

I have a WDTV HD in my bedroom and I had to hardwire it to my network to play Blu-ray rips without stuttering.
OK this is an issue for me. Yes, I have ethernet cable, and yes, I can wire the device if necessary...but one of the real selling points for me is the supposed wireless capability.

I can physically relocate my router to a smoewhat better location. I suppose I can take steps to boost the signal too (though I would have to do more research on that). Running a cable from my in-home office across the hall to my bedroom, around the walls and up to my TV is not really an option, though.

If it can't be wireless, I don't think this is going to work for me. Damnit...
post #10 of 12 Old 09-04-2014, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takayama1962 View Post
My TV has a Netflix button.
What else does your TV have? DLNA? a Plex app? Can you plug a hard drive into it? Where will your movies be stored? What format will they be?

If maximum movie quality isn't extremely important to you, and you need to use wifi, you can run Plex on the pc hosting the video files. As long as its relatively newer it can compress the videos on the fly to something that will comfortably play over wifi.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #11 of 12 Old 09-04-2014, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 View Post
What else does your TV have? DLNA? a Plex app? Can you plug a hard drive into it?
I honestly don't know. I'll check out the specs and follow up. But I imagine that I might be able to plug a hard drive into it. It's a fairly new model...at least for Mexico.

Quote:
Where will your movies be stored? What format will they be?
Right now they are on my desktop, also a fairly new model running Windows 7. I would just as soon keep them right where they are, but I can easily attach a dedicated NAS. I have considered doing so. They are in various formats, primarily .mp4, ,mkv, .flv, and .avi.

Quote:
If maximum movie quality isn't extremely important to you, and you need to use wifi, you can run Plex on the pc hosting the video files. As long as its relatively newer it can compress the videos on the fly to something that will comfortably play over wifi.
Well, this may end up being the kind of workaround I need to employ, but I'd like to have the best possible quality. Having said that, the current quality I get is just "pretty good." That is to say, I get good, clear SD quality and crisp sound.

There are three basic reasons why I want to make this change:

A. The DVD player I currently use is slowly failing. It takes longer and longer to mount a disk, and has begun to sporadically make noises that lead me to believe that I'll have to make a change pretty soon, like it or not.

B. What I have had to do up until now is burn programs and movies to disk on my computer, and play them on my DVD player. It is time-consuming and wasteful, and I would much rather be able to access the files directly. In addition, my current DVD player only supports data disks with files in .avi. I am obliged to convert files in other formats to .avi in order to play them. I'd like to be able to play the files I have without going to the trouble of converting them.

C. The quality of the playback is better than simply "tolerable," but it also falls far short of the experience that my TV supports. I have been informed that the TV I have is really quite good, and on the rare occasions that we actually play true DVDs on it, the difference in quality is astonishing. Yes, I would very much like to maximize quality if I can. I don't know what Plex is, or how it affects playback quality, but if the result is significantly degraded, I guess I would rather try to find a better solution...if there is one.

Yes, pittsoccer, I want it all!

OK, that's an overstatement. But the best outcome I can reasonably achieve? Absolutely.

So, I guess I have still more to research and learn. The bottom line, though, is that I may not be able to do this via WiFi and at the same time achieve the best possible results. Is that an accurate statement?
post #12 of 12 Old 09-04-2014, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 222
FWIW, Wi-Fi and streaming HD content is hit or miss, as anyone here can tell you. If you need to stream content from a server, a hardwired conection is your best bet. If that isn't possible, you might want to consider a powerline ethernet setup that uses your home's electrical wiring for an ethernet solution. It basically has two modules that plug into any electrical outlet. You connect the device using a standard ethernet patch cord to the powerline adapter. I've never used one personally so I don't know if you still need a router connected in this manner. No doubt there's a wiki out there that explains the setup and use of a powerline system so check it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page