AVS Forum banner
234K views 2K replies 285 participants last post by  Foxbat121 
#1 ·
Anyone have any info? They're due to be out soon and I need a new Blu-ray player. Currently, the S6200 is the front runner for me, but I'd like to find out more about these before I commit.

Thanks!

#2 · (Edited)
#34 ·
My main interest is in the audio features offered by the BDP-S7200, which are support for multi-channel DSD (.dff and .dsf) and FLAC files via USB. Will the BDP-S6500 offer those features, or will a BDP-S7500 be on offer in future to continue in that tradition?

I saw nothing in the blog of this.

#9 ·
Based on the descriptions used on the UK Sony site, the S5500 is just a 3D Blu-ray player, and will not upscale to 4K. Not sure if this is a deal breaker for you, but it looks like the S6500 is going to be the one to get if you need 4K upscaling. The S6200 was a really fast player too because of the dual core processor, and I'm pretty sure the S5500 isn't going to have a dual core processor, as there is no mention of one in the marketing materials for it.

#10 ·
For me, the real question is if the 5200 will play Mockingjay Part 1 without audio dropouts.

I was quite annoyed about getting them with my current 590. It's the first title to cause them. The dropouts are consistent with the excessive use of "Seamless Branching". *grump*

#15 ·
Best Buy lists SA-CD as one of the supported formats. I'm still watching on a Pioneer Kuro, so no need for 4K right now. As I understand, other than being able to upscale to 4K, the only other features the 6500 holds over the 5500 are streaming/app related. If that's the case, as someone who much prefers physical media to streaming, I think I should be good with the 5500.

#16 ·
Best Buy has the BDP-S1500 and and 3500 in stock. I think the other models are still "pre-order". I grabbed the 3500 yesterday but haven't had a chance to get it out of the box. I'm glad they dropped that stupid diamond look and went back to a normal rectangle design. These supposedly have improved Wi-Fi built in.

#17 ·
I see that BB Online has the S1500 and S3500 available now. The S5500 is still available to pre-order. Last night I was in my local BB and they didn't yet have the new players in stock. Let us know what your overall thoughts are on the player. We are interested to know what the new UI is like.

#18 · (Edited)
Just be aware the specs on the bestbuy site are wrong. The 1500 has no wifi. $90 seem a little steep too. If I were buying today, I'd opt for last year's 1200 for $60. Better yet would be the BX320 on Amazon for $65. It has an HDMI cable in the box and wifi.

Will be interesting to see if these are as bad as the early reviews seem to indicate.

#22 ·
Are there any new apps or updated older apps with the x500 models? Ultimately this will probably be the deciding factor whether I pick up one of these models. I already have two of the S5100's and two of the S6200's. I can't see how there will be any difference in BD playback so any app changes or additions and it might get me to pick up a couple of the new models.

#33 ·
I am definitely will be getting a 4K UHD player for the living room, I am interested in the Sony S5500 for the bedroom. The Playstation now streaming is what I'm interested in also the Triluminos.

Or better yet, buy a media streaming box. The apps are updated regularly.

I could care less for a streaming box some of us have HTPC 's.

#29 · (Edited)
I have dozens of devices with streaming apps. No one devices excels at or has access to all the apps available,. So I will always need multiple devices to get the best of the streaming apps. SOme of the Sony BD player apps are much better that the versions that some dedicated streaming devices have.

FOr instance I have several ROkus. A ROku 3 and a couple of ROku2 boxes. The Sony S6500 has many apps that are much better and do a better job than the ROku is capable of. Years ago I used my ROkus on a regular basis. Now I rarely turn them on. I only use them for one streaming app. The Funimation app. Which is only available on a few devices.

#27 ·
These players look great.

SACD support is a nice feature. Good to have if I decide to take the plunge into the format sometime this year :rolleyes:

ALTHOUGH, if some of the players can read SACD ISO files in native DSD, it would be so great. Like the bargain of the year in audio :eek:

But first, I'm interested in network connectivity, Wi-Fi, YouTube and android app above all.

#30 ·
That's interesting. I would have thought that the Roku would have more apps and that they would be more current. I still feel that in general a media streamer is a better option, but it is nice that you get apps with BD players these days. The one issue is that they stop receiving updates after the first year, for the most part. The PS3 is still one of the few players that will receive app updates, keeping up with other devices. But it is interesting how apps vary on some players. I noticed PQ differences on my PS3 vs 2013 Panasonic TV vs 2013 Panasonic BD player. And sometimes the TV's apps, particularly Hulu, will stutter while the BD player and PS3 are rock-solid. All devices are wired. The TV and BD player UIs are the same, but I don't know if the apps are the same version. Sometimes the apps may appear the same but they differ. Anyway, glad the S6200 is working well for you.

One thing I hated about the Sony S5100 was that you had to connect to Sony's network service to get to the apps. And since I didn't use quick start, I had to log in every time I wanted to use the apps, which was annoying.

#1,029 ·
I picked up an open box for $56! It was excellent condition and was listed for $79 but when I got it, it had 3 stickers on it for $55.99. I called and got my money back. Sweet deal

#35 ·
The BDP-S3500 is definitely the smallest BD player I've ever owned. It measures roughly 8"x8" and is super lightweight. After initial setup, you're required to download a new update. The new interface is clean and straightforward. On the left side are the premium apps (Netflix, Vudu, etc.) that can't be changed. On the right hand side, there is a row of favorite apps, where you're allowed to customize which ones you want to display on the main screen. The unit is fast in terms of loading apps and entering in emails and passwords. No more slow, sluggish selection of letters/numbers. The remote is very basic. No keypad, but it has a dedicated Netflix button. Haven't tried any discs yet, but everything else seems rock solid.

It's also on sale for $99.99 at Best Buy.

#38 ·
Does it switch to 24P automatically or do you have to manually change the output?

#40 ·
I had been seriously considering getting the new S6500 Sony this Summer but the more I think about it I'll probably just stick with the two S6200's and two S5100's I have and pick up another media player instead. I'm not using the Sonys for streaming playback as much as I used to since I'm using my TiVos and Fire TV/sticks mainly now. And since the Popcorn Hour VTEN will cost less than the S6500 anyway, it might be a better use of my money. Of course by the time the Summer comes around, when the S6500 will be out, I might change my mind again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.