Pioneer BDP-80FD - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 01-24-2015, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Pioneer BDP-80FD

Tried searching AVS for info on this model, but couldn't find anything. Anyways I saw this model on Best Buys website, curious to what you guys think of it? Experiences? I've always used Sony players, but now that I have a Pioneer receiver, I'm thinking of gradually going more Pioneer for my setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-24-2015, 07:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I will let you know. just bought one today from Best-Buy. I also have a Oppo BDP-103 i am using right now so i will compare PQ among other things. My Oppo BDP-103 might go up for sale if this Pioneer BDP-80FD does everything i need it to do as i don't need or use all the features that the Oppo can do.

Living room; Samsung PN60F5300B Plasma TV, Marantz SR5008 AVR, Pioneer Elite BDP-80FD blu-ray, Definitive Mytho 2's fronts, Definitive Pro Center 1000, Definitive Di 5.5R in ceilings, SVS SB-1000 subwoofer, Comcast DVR HD box.

Garage; Sherwood RX-4105 2 channel stereo receiver, Samsung DVD-C500 CD player, Klipsch KG 2.5 med Oak speakers
post #3 of 9 Old 01-25-2015, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKSKYDANCER View Post
I will let you know. just bought one today from Best-Buy. I also have a Oppo BDP-103 i am using right now so i will compare PQ among other things. My Oppo BDP-103 might go up for sale if this Pioneer BDP-80FD does everything i need it to do as i don't need or use all the features that the Oppo can do.
Cool! Please let me know what you think.
post #4 of 9 Old 01-25-2015, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC72 View Post
Cool! Please let me know what you think.
I unpacked the Pioneer BDP-80FD today and ran it thru some BD,DVD and CD test today and i must say this player is nice. First thing i like is the size of the unit. Not small and cheap looking like all the new Sony's, Samsung's and Panasonic's. Not as big as the Oppo BDP-103 but a good size DVD player that looks good in the cabinet. 2nd thing, set up was a breeze. OSD menu is nice and very well layed out and easy to navigate thru. Similar to the Oppo BDP-103. Power cord is detachable which i like.
I'm using a HDMI connection out from the Pioneer BDP-80FD to a Marantz SR5008 receiver then a HDMI cable to my display from my receiver which is a Samsung PN60F5300 plasma TV. PQ is beautiful with both BD and standard DVD's. I tried both setting's, bitstream and PCM and both are excellent.

Audio so far is just as impressive. This Pioneer has all the latest Dolby Digital and DTS-HD Master Audio types, I tried DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby digital and 2 channel and all produced very good sound. I could not tell any difference between this player and the Oppo BDP-103 connected the way i use a DVD/CD player.

Can't comment on 3D as i don't use it. Have not connected to a Wi-Fi connection and used any of the app's yet but plan to within the next week or so.
I just wanted to get a feel for the PQ and AQ and i must say both are top rated and very impressive!

Of course it's not up to Oppo standards for build quality but it's a very capable BD player with outstanding feature's of it's own. Just go to Pioneers web site to check all that it can do. To much to list here. Some things i did notice right away between the Pioneer BDP-80FD and the Oppo BDP-103 is the load speeds are a bit slower from the time you turn it on to the time you are ready to watch a movie. It's definitely noisier then the Oppo when loading a disc. The Pioneer makes these weird chirping noises as it gets ready to play a disc. The remote is much cheaper then a Oppo's remote. No back-light feature, cheap buttons but lay out isn't to bad. I guess it does what it's suppose to do but i really like the Oppo's remote! I will miss that for sure.

I bought the Oppo BDP-103 thinking i was going to use the 7.1 Audio out's and a lot of the other features it has to offer. But after purchasing the Marantz receiver and seeing what it can do with the Audyssey XT, the Oppo became overkill for me, especially if the PQ and AQ was not a factor because of it. Yeah the pioneer is not as well built and doesn't have that nice remote but for the big money difference i payed, it does just what i need it to do until the new 4K BD players come out in a year or 2. Looks like a keeper for me.

Living room; Samsung PN60F5300B Plasma TV, Marantz SR5008 AVR, Pioneer Elite BDP-80FD blu-ray, Definitive Mytho 2's fronts, Definitive Pro Center 1000, Definitive Di 5.5R in ceilings, SVS SB-1000 subwoofer, Comcast DVR HD box.

Garage; Sherwood RX-4105 2 channel stereo receiver, Samsung DVD-C500 CD player, Klipsch KG 2.5 med Oak speakers

Last edited by RKSKYDANCER; 01-26-2015 at 05:43 PM. Reason: spelling
post #5 of 9 Old 01-25-2015, 02:37 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 31
You mentioned you had Sony players before. Which one did you have and how does it compare with The Pioneer as far of PQ/AQ?
Thx
post #6 of 9 Old 01-25-2015, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

Pioneer BDP-80FD

I have the Sony BDP-S550,. It's been a great player, but I'm starting to notice that I'm getting disk errors. I loaded in this one Blu-ray that I bought yesterday, and it gave me a read error.. So I loaded it into my PS3, and it had no issues playing. .I also loaded it into my bedroom blu-ray player(Sony S3200) and it played fine.. Loaded that same movie into the S550 again today, and it played fine. So I'm starting to think that the laser is going on my S550. I've had it since 2008,.

Sent from my AT&T iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk
post #7 of 9 Old 01-25-2015, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

@RKSKYDANCER

Appreciate the review. Sounds like a really good player.
post #8 of 9 Old 01-25-2015, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC72 View Post
@RKSKYDANCER

Appreciate the review. Sounds like a really good player.
Your welcome
I have owned 5 different model BD players in the last 3 years including a Sony BDP-S580, Sony BDP-S790, Oppo BDP-103 and now this Pioneer BDP-80FD and as far as PQ and AQ goes all do an outstanding job with the settings set right in the machines and using HDMI. The real differences are the features, styles, warranties and prices. Never had a problem with any of them. I wanted to go with a Marantz UD5007 to match my receiver but the price is higher then the Oppo so that didn't make any since.
I just happen to get a real good deal on this Pioneer BDP-80FD yesterday so I thought I would give it a try. By the way, Forgot to mention it comes with a nice printed operations instructions manual ( like Oppo) and has a 2 year warranty.

good luck
Sky

Last edited by RKSKYDANCER; 01-26-2015 at 05:48 PM. Reason: spelling
post #9 of 9 Old Today, 05:44 PM

Pioneer Elite BDP-80FD plays DVD-A audio disk!

I bought a Pioneer Elite BDP-80FD Blu-ray player knowing it was advertised as being able to play SACD disk but not DVD-Audio disk. I thought i would give it a try anyways and to my surprise it plays both my DVD-Audio only and DVD -Audio/video disk from my Pink Floyd / wish you were here immersion box set.
Does this mean if it will play one it will play all? Or is this a normal hit and miss type of thing with players? I would like to buy more DVD-A disk if this is the case.

Anyone else experience this with there players?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players