AVS Forum banner

2015 Samsung Players: BD-J7500, J5900, J5700, J5100

Tags
bd-j5900,
41K views 119 replies 57 participants last post by  Espada 
#1 ·
No release dates yet, but I found these 3 new players on Samsung's website. The casing has been completely re-designed.

BD-J5900
Built-In Wi-Fi
New Opera TV Apps
3D Blu-ray™
Screen Mirroring

BD-J5700/ZA
Built-in Wi-Fi
New Opera TV Apps
Blu-ray™

BD-J5100
Built-in LAN
New Opera
Blu-ray™

Here's a photo of the 3D model

See less See more
#2 ·
Ugliest players I have seen. Why would anyone invest in one of these when the new 4K players are coming out at the end of the year?

Reactions: Ptide15 and slimm
#4 · (Edited)
**Official** Samsung BD-J5900 Blu-ray Player Owner's Thread

Deleted, since I tried to start a official thread and Mods wants to merge it with other topics.

If you want details then message me.

Reactions: pdaub
#6 ·
ABT has them in stock. Best Buy has them for pre-order. I tried out the BD-J5900. The curvy casing definitely sticks out like a sore thumb. Load times are very fast. The menu is identical to the 2014 models. The big problem I had was Netflix would never connect. I've got other streaming options and Netflix connects 100% every time, but for some reason, it refused to on this machine. It also already had a firmware update, but that didn't help.

#12 ·
Wired is more reliable. If you have a lot of devices on your wifi, you might experience more dropped packets, which may lead to some latency. If you don't have a large family and devices competing for bandwidth, then you're probably okay with sticking with wireless. Since your BD player is in such close proximity to your router, running a cable wouldn't be a bad idea. Of course, you have to deal with wires. But if you aren't experiencing any problems with streaming over wifi, I wouldn't worry. If, on the other hand, you start experiencing poor streaming quality, re-buffering and such, then you should consider going wired.

As for cabling, I don't think it matters a whole lot unless you plan to set up a long run. It sounds like you're fine with whatever Ethernet cable you choose.

Tim

#13 ·
As for cabling, I don't think it matters a whole lot unless you plan to set up a long run. It sounds like you're fine with whatever Ethernet cable you choose.

Tim
Thanks, Tim. Based on what I've read all over the AVSForum, I'm confident your idea is the way to go. So, I'm headed over to Monoprice and I'll get the best cables that match my current cable scheme: Clemson orange cables for internet & Redmere burgundy cables for HDMI.

Cheers!

#17 ·
Target.com has the 5900 for $94.99; The 5900 for $84.99 and the 5100 for $49.99. Can you let me/us know how you're seeing the 5900 for $59? If you can get it for that price it's a fantastic price.

As for my post of the other day with my 5900 issues, I have a theory that the DSL modem has the firewall set too aggressively and will test that theory tomorrow when I'm back at that location.

#21 ·
Target didn't have a model number on the sale tag, but it wasn't the J5900 for $59.99. It must have been the entry model. The 5900 was sitting in that spot and it was the only one left. I should have known it was too good to be true. So I went to Best Buy and they're having a sale at about $20 off list price. I was able to get them to price match Amazon for a J5700 for the price I thought I'd get the J5900, so I am happy. Now I just need to hook it up and try it out.

Like you, I don't really like the design because of the dumb curve and ribbed chassis, but as long as it delivers good performance, I don't care. It will be in a cabinet anyway.

#22 ·
My first impression is that while the J5900 is not a bad player, I think I will be returning it. I see no compelling reason to upgrade over the F5700. The newer UI is a little prettier, but otherwise, it's pretty much the same, plus, I like the aesthetics of the F5700 better. Netflix is a little more responsive, but not by much. I would have to test it more, but the F5700 was able to get to HD quicker and hold it there; the J5900 took longer and it dropped down to less than HD at one point. Both are wired. It is something I will test more this weekend, however. The remote on the J5900 is the same with the exception that it is no longer back lit, but the F5700 remote will control the J5900, so that is nice. I have never liked this tiny remote though; the buttons are too small and too similar in shape to easily use by feel compared to other remotes I've used. Again, not a bad player, but if you have a player from the past few years, I don't think you're gaining much with an upgrade. The menu options are the same. Netflix on my 2013 F5700 is the same, newer Netflix UI as the J5900 and other devices like the PS3 and Roku, but it is still laggy on the BD player. I'll test more this weekend and post further impressions for others who may be on the fence about upgrading.

#24 ·
I am having this exact same issue and it is driving me crazy... What exactly do you mean that you lowered the firewall settings? Did you open up specific ports to the router or just generally lower the settings? I am not very experienced with dealing with these issues and am having difficulty fixing this.

#28 ·
Same problem here -- I use DD-WRT for my router software and have set the J5100's address as the DMZ device -- no ports should be blocked now

Also, I set the TimeZone

And, [dammit] I upgraded the firmware too...

WTF !!

System time is updating.
Please try again later.

#29 ·
I just bought the Costco derivative model for $80. It's hideous, but the picture and sound are good. Despite my dislike of Samsung, I couldn't find another player at this price point that did DTS re-encode to get the best sound from my old Denon AVR-3805.

It works with my old BD-1500 remote which is way better than the pack in. Overall this seems like a good buy, but my son wants to wrap it in a brown paper bag so he doesn't have to look at it :)

Joel

#30 ·
Hi! I buy the model: BD-J5900/ZA from Amazon

I have the same problem after upgrade the firmware to the version B-JM63BSPWWB-1006.1?

I can't open ANY app after the upgrade. It's annoying :-(

Always that I try to open Apps, show a popup message: "System time is updating. Please try again later" and never open the App :-(

#31 ·
Hey! I found a solution. By the way, I can't paste here links :-(

I contact the support team on Samsung and the send me a link to download the same firmware version: B-JM63BSPWWB-1006.1

First, I made the factory reset. Then, I download the firmware file in my laptop, format a pendrive in FAT32, UNZIP and copy the file in the pendrive and connect it in the front of the Blu-ray.

In the Setup menu, go to Tec. Support > Software update > USB.

The system scan the pendrive and show me that I already have the last version... BUT!!! IMPORTANT! When I try to open the Apps and now all is fine and the Apps open without problem

Here the Samsung Support Team instructions:

1. If firewall is enabling, please disable firewall for testing.

2. Check for security settings in Wi-Fi Router.

3. Make sure that your player is running on the latest firmware version. I see that the latest firmware version of the player is ver.1006.1. To check the firmware version of the player, press INFO button with no disc and the disc tray opened. You could find the software version. If the current firmware version on the player is older than ver.1006, please upgrade the firmware. You can download the firmware update for your player by clicking on the link given below. It starts downloading automatically once you click the link. If you experience any issues opening the above link, you can copy and paste into any other browser:

(Link by Private Message)

The above file will be in the zip format. Extract the file and copy that to the USB drive which is formatted in FAT 32 file format system. For instructions on how to upgrade the firmware on your player refer the below link. It starts downloading automatically once you click on the link:

(Link by Private Message)

4. If the issue persists, reset the player to factory defaults. Please note that resetting the player reverts all the settings of the player. For instructions to reset the player, please follow the steps below.

a. Power on your Blu-ray player and make sure the Home Menu is displayed, reset will not work if the player is in any other Menu or App screen.
b. With no disc in the player, press and hold the STOP button on the top panel of your player for about 8 seconds or until 'Resetting all settings to default values' displays.

#32 ·
Hi,

I haven't been able to confirm whether Plex app is available on the J5900 or J7500.
I see reviews mentioning it for the J7500 but none for the J5900.

On the Plex forum they say although the App running on Opera isn't the same and the J5900 is listed as running Opera.
I have seen screenshots on online reviews with the Plex app on J7500 but it's difficult to confirm whether this is true.

Is Plex available on the J5900 and J7500?
Another question, can FLAC be played over DLNA on the J5900 and J7500?

Thanks

#33 ·
Is Plex available on the J5900 and J7500?
Another question, can FLAC be played over DLNA on the J5900 and J7500?

Thanks
I'll answer my own question.
Plex seem to come pre-installed on the J7500. It's seem the J7500 has the Smart Hub like previous generation H6500. I have also read people running newer versions of Plex from a USB stick because the app wasn't update by Samsung.
I have seen reports of people complaining of not being able to install plex on the J5900 even though it is listed as Plex Opera App compatible.

I have read a review saying High res audio over DLNA doesn't work on J5900 and J7500, but also found one saying it works for the J7500.
I have ordered the J7500, so I'll figured it out on my own :)

This post has been deleted
#37 ·
I have the J5900 and am trying to get 5.1 sound to a Sonos Playbar (no DTS decoding and only input is optical). There is an option in the audio settings on the player for bitstream (re-encoded Dolby Digital), which would appear to be what I need. However, when I select that, I'm still only getting stereo audio delivered the the Playbar. From what I can tell, it is actually downconverting everything to stereo rather than Dolby Digital. Any thoughts?

Just to head off some potential troubleshooting steps: my TV will pass through DTS/DD from HDMI sources to the optical out, so I know it is not the issue (and I tried running optical straight from my HDMI switch to the Playbar just to confirm).
Are you saying that even if I have a 5.1 Surround Sound system device, the player will still deliver regular Stereo Audio instead of 5.1 Dolby?

#35 ·
Samsung BD-J7500 3D 4K Upscaling Blu-ray Player with Wi-Fi (2015 Model)

This must be the best investment for my personal Home theater. I have had this model since August and there is not one day when it ceases to amaze me.
Is there anyone in this forum that has experienced something similar with this particular model?
Sometimes I am tempted to swap it for an OPPO Darbee Edition, but when I compare these two players I dont see the OPPO really being a better choice overall

#38 ·
Updating firmware?? Confused

So I updated my Samsung BD-J75 and I dont see any difference in either the appearance and/or performance of the Smart Hub.
I streamed Netflix, Amazon Prime, UFC.TV, and everything looks the same as with the previous version...
What am I missing??

#41 ·
HDMI + analog audio

Does anyone know if the BD-J7500 would be able to output HDMI + analog out audio simultaneously ?

I'd like to use the subwoofer analog output, while at the same time having all 7.1 channels go through the HDMI output (+ video of course) to my receiver.

Reason I am asking is because I'd like to connect a Buttkicker LFE (amp + shaker / transducer) to the analog subwoofer out and drive it through the player, while my receiver would take care of the sound. That way I would also be able to plug in headphones in the receiver while still have the BK-LFE active.

As is, plugging in the headphones to my receiver mutes all sound, so no signal would be sent to the sub out, where the BK is connected.
That is why I am hoping to use the sub out analog output of the blu-ray player.

Also curious whether anyone considered upgrading from this to the Oppo 103 or has done so.

I am still debating what is a better option (mainly movie watching, and most of the time Netflix, less often blu-ray discs)

#49 ·
Does anyone know if the BD-J7500 would be able to output HDMI + analog out audio simultaneously ?
To answer my own question, it does, I just got the player yesterday and tried this out.

As far as streaming goes, before the player I used Roku3 that I still have, but I am still not totally convinced I can fully replace it.

E.g. Roku3 has never given me a glitch with Netflix, but on the player when I sometime start a movie, few times it just buffered up to 25% and then stays at 25 for a while, I often hear the sound but no video streamed yet while that 25% is on screen. Same wired network that I used on the Roku, I literally just unplugged the network cable from my Roku and plugged it into the player.

I went back and forth between wireless and wired, and during my latest couple of tries I did not see it happen again, but something that is a bit concerning .. hopefully I find with more use that it does not happen that often. Still too early to say. My old Sony BD Player had the same streaming problem. Roku3 never did.

I also had several movie scenes that I streamed through Plex on my Roku with no problem, but on the Samsung they would pause and take several seconds buffering like every minute or so. Though I did manage to get around this, by changing a couple of settings in the Plex Client Preferences

- Had to switch the Player options in the preferences to Transcoding
- I had to then decrease the advanced Advanced settings / Local Quality from 10 down to 8. This affected the picture quality to a certain degree, but at least no more stuttering / buffering issues.

Hopefully that helps others with similar problems.

I can live with this for Plex, but still don't have enough experience (except for the few buffering glitches I saw on my first few tries) to say if Netflix works better or at least as good as on the Roku. Fingers crossed it will be good enough, in which case maybe I can give my Roku some rest.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.