Ultra HD Blu-ray Specification and Logo Finalized - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 261Likes

post #1 of 407 Old 05-12-2015, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2822 Post(s)
Liked: 4478
Ultra HD Blu-ray Specification and Logo Finalized

Sporting a new logo and a new spec sheet, the next generation of disc-based digital media is almost ready for its summertime debut.

Today, the Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA) revealed that the Ultra HD Blu-ray specification is ready. It also unveiled a brand-new logo for the physical UHD/4K format.

Ultra HD Blu-ray offers 2160p resolution along with a slew of audio and video quality enhancements. It incorporates high dynamic range (HDR), high frame rate (HFR) and an extended color gamut that goes beyond BT.709 (the current HD standard). The format also supports immersive audio such as DTS:X and Dolby Atmos. Scott Wilkinson discussed the confirmed specs in this post filed from CES 2015. Aside from the new logo, Scott had the complete scoop on the format months ago.

Discs will come in two capacities—66 GB dual layer and 100 GB triple layer. Maximum bitrates rates are 108 Mbps for the 66 GB disc and 128 Mbps for the 100 GB disc. The format offers up to 3840x2160 resolution (the UHD standard), and players will include HDMI 2.0 with HDCP 2.2 copy protection. The new players will handle frame rates up to 60 fps and color gamuts up to BT.2020, as well as 10-bit video.

The BDA made sure Ultra HD Blu-ray offers backward compatibility, as well as new image quality enhancing capabilities, but support for 3D at UHD resolution is notably absent.

An optional "Digital Bridge" feature is a part of the format; it offers flexible content viewing over various devices; I have not read any specifics on how it works.

New devices should start appearing soon, the BDA says it will start licensing products this summer. There's no word on when the first Ultra HD Blu-ray titles might appear. My only wish is that the players and the content launch at a reasonable cost to consumers—I don't see a new disc-based format lasting long if it's not competitively priced.

-------

Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forum on Twitter
+1 AVS Forum on Google+

Mark Henninger

Last edited by imagic; 05-19-2015 at 01:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 407 Old 05-12-2015, 02:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 18
HDR specs?
WCG specs?
HFR specs?

Also, you might want to consider creating a "Ultra HD Blu-ray" sub-forum, now that the official specs are out.
post #3 of 407 Old 05-12-2015, 02:43 PM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

My only wish is that the players and the content launch at a reasonable cost to consumers—I don't see a new disc-based format lasting long if it's not competitively priced.
I hope OPPO is reading this...
post #4 of 407 Old 05-12-2015, 02:44 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 160
I agree on price but at least we aren't having a UHD-DVD vs a UHD Bluray format war this time. That will get me off the fence a lot faster this time.
post #5 of 407 Old 05-12-2015, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7channelfreak View Post
I agree on price but at least we aren't having a UHD-DVD vs a UHD Bluray format war this time. That will get me off the fence a lot faster this time.
Format wars suck...

post #6 of 407 Old 05-12-2015, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vae Vanguard View Post
HDR specs?
WCG specs?
HFR specs?

Also, you might want to consider creating a "Ultra HD Blu-ray" sub-forum, now that the official specs are out.
I know that AVS management is looking at updating the site. I am not directly involved with that.

Here's the full press release on UHD BD, I guess details on specs are forthcoming:

"LOS ANGELES– May 12, 2015 – The Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA) today announced completion of the Ultra HD Blu-ray™ specification and released the new logo that will delineate Ultra HD

Blu-ray products. The Ultra HD Blu-ray specification, which represents the work of global leaders from the consumer electronics, IT and content creation industries, will enable delivery of Ultra HD content via Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc to the rapidly growing number of UHD TV households.

“For years, Blu-ray Disc™ has set the standard for high definition picture and audio quality in the home. Ultra HD Blu-ray will do the same for UHD home entertainment," said Victor Matsuda, chair, BDA Promotions Committee. “The technical capabilities of Blu-ray Disc, in particular its significant storage capacity and high data transfer rates, will enable the delivery of an unparalleled, consistent and repeatable UHD experience."

The completed Ultra HD Blu-ray specification addresses a range of factors, beyond simply increasing resolution, that will significantly enhance the home entertainment experience for consumers. In addition to delivering content in up-to 3840x2160 resolution, the Ultra HD Blu-ray format enables delivery of a significantly expanded color range and allows for the delivery of high dynamic range (HDR) and high frame rate content. Next-generation immersive, object-based sound formats will also be delivered via the Ultra HD Blu-ray specification. Additionally, with the optional digital bridge feature, the specification enhances the value of content ownership by embracing the notion that a content purchase can enable the consumer to view their content across the range of in-home and mobile devices.

The specification also mandates all new Ultra HD Blu-ray players be capable of playing back current Blu-ray Discs, giving consumers access to the vast library of more than 10,000 titles currently available on Blu-ray Disc.

Licensing of Ultra HD Blu-ray is scheduled to begin this Summer. The BDA is working closely with industry leaders in the authoring, testing, certification and replication industries to develop the tools and process needed to ensure interoperability between players and software and to facilitate the development of a robust ecosystem to support the hardware and title launch of Ultra HD Blu-ray."

Mark Henninger

Last edited by imagic; 05-12-2015 at 02:54 PM.
post #7 of 407 Old 05-12-2015, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 255
I gotta buy my movies all over again?
WTF

VPI Classic 2/Soundsmith Aida
Parks Audio Budgie Pre Amp - Budgie SUT - Wyred 4 Sound DAC2 DSDse
Pioneer SC85 - Bel Canto REF 500M
Klipsch Cornwall/Crites/Aletheia Audio - Klipsch RC64II - Klipsch SW115
Samsung PN64D8000 - OPPO BDP93
Klipsch Image Ones - Klipsch x11i
post #8 of 407 Old 05-12-2015, 02:56 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I was hoping to see those "finallized Ultra HD Blu-ray specifications" ... barh
Ungermann likes this.
post #9 of 407 Old 05-12-2015, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

As an aside, I find the logo's design uninspired.
R Harkness, M Lo, blazar and 9 others like this.

Mark Henninger
post #10 of 407 Old 05-12-2015, 03:11 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Agreed, was going to ask if the logo you posted was it, but then I saw the little TM...
post #11 of 407 Old 05-12-2015, 03:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1199 Post(s)
Liked: 861
It is likely that the specs themselves will be released only to licensees. his was the case I believe with respect to the 2K Bluray specs.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #12 of 407 Old 05-12-2015, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Do you anticipate 4k/HDR remasters of a lot of old titles or will this primarily be a medium for new releases?
barrelbelly likes this.
post #13 of 407 Old 05-12-2015, 03:20 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans828 View Post
Even if they are, it's unlikely that they'll suddenly change their entire business model and stop charging too much for the same, identical digital picture as the one created by reasonably priced players. But I'm sure that won't stop die-hard enthusiasts who will believe that Oppo 2160p is somehow better than regular 2160p, just like they believe about 1080p now.
post #14 of 407 Old 05-12-2015, 03:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by epepin View Post
Do you anticipate 4k/HDR remasters of a lot of old titles or will this primarily be a medium for new releases?
I bet also remasters of old titles since they make money reselling the same movies in a new format. Of course, we don't have to buy them.
post #15 of 407 Old 05-12-2015, 03:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebEffect View Post
Even if they are, it's unlikely that they'll suddenly change their entire business model and stop charging too much for the same, identical digital picture as the one created by reasonably priced players. But I'm sure that won't stop die-hard enthusiasts who will believe that Oppo 2160p is somehow better than regular 2160p, just like they believe about 1080p now.
Nobody has ever claimed that BluRay discs look better on an Oppo than on cheaper players. People buy Oppos for excellent DVD upconversion, excellent analog audio (including SACD/DVD-A), HDMI inputs, excellent customer service, etc, etc.
post #16 of 407 Old 05-12-2015, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post
I bet also remasters of old titles since they make money reselling the same movies in a new format. Of course, we don't have to buy them.
There's always that handful of favorite movies that I'm a sucker for re-purchasing whenever someone says there's a new, much better remaster or whatever. Would I buy Aliens again if it was remastered and came with an Atmos soundtrack, wide color gamut, and UHD/4K resolution? Of course I would.

Mark Henninger
post #17 of 407 Old 05-12-2015, 03:26 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Let's keep this thread to Hardware. There is a thread in the software section for movies.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #18 of 407 Old 05-12-2015, 03:29 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
There's always that handful of favorite movies that I'm a sucker for re-purchasing whenever someone says there's a new, much better remaster or whatever. Would I buy Aliens again if it was remastered and came with an Atmos soundtrack, wide color gamut, and UHD/4K resolution? Of course I would.
Is this sort of detail able to be extracted from the film? I understand 4k is no trouble; does film inherently contain wide color gamut?
Ftoast likes this.
post #19 of 407 Old 05-12-2015, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post
Nobody has ever claimed that BluRay discs look better on an Oppo than on cheaper players. People buy Oppos for excellent DVD upconversion, excellent analog audio (including SACD/DVD-A), HDMI inputs, excellent customer service, etc, etc.

All true. They sell as many as they make. No need to change their business model.
post #20 of 407 Old 05-12-2015, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Is this sort of detail able to be extracted from the film? I understand 4k is no trouble; does film inherently contain wide color gamut?
Many films use more than one specific film stock, and more than one type of lens. What can happen is you start to see those differences more clearly. A good director uses that to their advantage, think Oliver Stone. It's definitely true that even 35 mm film stock out-resolves 2K diital, and 70 mm blows it away, so for most big productions there should be plenty of detail for UHD/4K to pick up, even if that includes film grain.

Color film definitely has a wider color gamut than BT.709. DCI/P3 is used in commercial digital cinema because it is closer to the gamut of film.
Ftoast likes this.

Mark Henninger
post #21 of 407 Old 05-12-2015, 03:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked: 639
Quote:
Yes, much wider than DCI-P3 actually.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	f65-camera-tab5-1.jpg
Views:	581
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	713138  
Dhalmo, fredxr2d2 and Ftoast like this.

Last edited by DavidHir; 05-12-2015 at 03:43 PM.
post #22 of 407 Old 05-12-2015, 03:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked: 639
From a marketing standpoint, I thought they could have come up with a spiffier looking logo.

post #23 of 407 Old 05-12-2015, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Yup. It's the cr%p logo. It could have been more flashier and attractive..
post #24 of 407 Old 05-12-2015, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Overall, I think this is great news. And I suspect early adopters to the new hardware from elite manufacturers will benefit the most. Because of the no holds barred enhancements and features capabilities they will pack into their marquee modes. But eventually those features will work their way into mid-lower priced models. I hope they don't gimp the new hardware by forcing "Backward Compatibility" all the way to Standard DVD. 1080p should be the full BC profile IMO. I am also glad to see them back away from 3D. They apparently kept the spec clean and laser focused on "Best in class" PQ and Audio quality. High end streaming will have a hard time matching this kind of potential IMO. Because of bandwidth throttling by the ISP's/Sat/Cable. This is akin to "The Empire Strikes Back" to me. Great to see BRG get their act together. And put the challenge back into the "Hardware" versus "Streaming" marketplace where it belongs.
khackshaw and rightintel like this.
post #25 of 407 Old 05-12-2015, 04:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East, dts:x Films: Under the Skin, 3D, Birdman, X_Machina, The Zero Theorem, Interstellar
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 4893 Post(s)
Liked: 2011

♦ Alright; that's the new logo to look for when shopping for a new UHD TV and a new UHD Blu-ray player.
post #26 of 407 Old 05-12-2015, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1200 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7channelfreak View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCgrad View Post
Format wars suck...
agreed and I chose HD DVD ..

on another note ..if I read correctly
These discs will be backwards compatible so the stores dont have to carry a movie in three different formats(DVD, Blu ray and UHD Blu ray)

Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Marantz 8801 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp B&W CM10s..CM2 center...CM5's.rears
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Denon 4520 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Pioneer SC77 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 Onkyo 5009 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
post #27 of 407 Old 05-12-2015, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans828 View Post
I doubt Oppo will jump in straight away. For a smaller company like that it makes more sense to wait for chip/drive prices to drop and to let the conglomerates do the initial stumbling.

David Mackenzie
DVD/BD Compressionist/Author
Reviewer & Tech Consultant, HDTVtest
post #28 of 407 Old 05-12-2015, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1200 Post(s)
Liked: 256
I will be interested to see how much the players are upcharged over the standard 1080P players
Maybe they will fall as fast as the prices of 4K TV's...
or when 2nd and third brands release players should make a difference as well on prices

Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Marantz 8801 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp B&W CM10s..CM2 center...CM5's.rears
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Denon 4520 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Pioneer SC77 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 Onkyo 5009 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
post #29 of 407 Old 05-12-2015, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked: 434
I guess we will need... new avr's with new HDMI boards! Hopefully this announcement means they will get final specs done on HDMI next-gen. Hopefully the HDMI current cable bandwidth is adequate...

I am curious how much they will charge for content... $40 a disc? Somehow I feel confident that they will milk folks substantially for this.

Blazar!
post #30 of 407 Old 05-12-2015, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 616 Post(s)
Liked: 460
I can't wait to see my first HDR movie soon! Hopefully by year's end. Tomorrowland in DV? Probably.

I could go for Avengers 2 as my first UHD purchase, with or without HDR, so long as it has wider color gamut than rec 709.

I'm much more interested in whether new discs will need to be released, or if I can play back UHD stuff on my current Xbox One. I heard they were going to release HDMI 2.0 versions of both consoles and that probably means with an upgraded UHD BD-ROM, in which case I'll pick up a PS4 with that on it.

Does anyone know if the discs are definitely different? And the list of UHD movies coming out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
frontpage

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page