AVS Forum banner

Oppo BDT-101CI - Bluray Integration Player

Tags
bdt-101ci
12K views 58 replies 19 participants last post by  ReTrO 
#1 ·
https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdt-101CI/

This looks like a new and very compelling product with no-nonsense disc playback only functionality.

This really looks like the best product for folks who want pure disc-player integration (which is what this is designed for). This seems to skip features like high end internal dacs, etc.

oppo products had become bloated in my opinion with extra layers of menus, etc. Oppo seems to have responded to my frequent criticism with this product which looks really interesting.

There are output cards on this thing to handle 4k and HDBaseT... sweet. I think that you can customize the player to the type of functions you need. There is extensive reading material on their site.

#2 · (Edited)
Way too many devices all doing the same things. I agree, focus on disk playback. Might be on my horizon now......

Dual HDMI almost a must again with HDCP 2.2.

Wonder what price range is going to be?

#3 ·
Well then again....

Since the BDT-101CI is intended to be configured and installed by a qualified custom integrator, please contact your integrator, installer or local reseller for technical support. Due to the many possible module customizations and configurations, OPPO Digital is not able to provide direct customer support on this product. The following information is for reference by custom integrators.

Maybe not.

#7 ·
BDT 101CI does not have streaming options like the other players. Not a deal breaker since this is available in many pre pros and AVR's.

BDT 101CI has an optional multi channel audio analog out board. Not the same quality as found in the 105/105D

MSRP $399 (includes 2 ch audio out)

7.1 MCH analog audio out --- MSRP $99 (NOTE 2 CH BOARD COMES OUT AND
GOES BACK TO DEALER "IS THE RULE") or $149 MSRP (Customer keeps 2 ch board)

Addition HDMI OUT MSRP $199 (?)
HD BaseT OUT. MSRP $299
Can't have both one or the other.

Rack Ears. MSRP $79

#10 ·
Doesn't the S in MSRP mean "suggested"? A manufacturer can suggest a price but the seller (unless there are some special limitations required by the manufacturer for one to become a seller) always has the option of setting the actual price to the consumer. Even with suggested prices, manufacturers often try to keep their product sellers from setting a very low or a ridiculously high price on their products.

#13 ·
It just needs to be made clear that Oppo is not selling this player to consumers nor do they offer product support to consumers on this model.
With that in mind people should look closely at who they are buying from and ask themselves what sort of support they might be getting. Lower price is not always a "good deal".

#15 · (Edited)
As I said in a different conversation in another forum recently, people need to realize what the 101CI is made for.
It's made for the "custom installation market". Like for the most part, REALLY high end systems that are done top to bottom
by professional installers, and the end user usually doesn't even know or care about what gear is being used,
as long as everything looks and sounds great.
Custom installers will put the very capable 101CI in a system and the actual price of the player won't matter much,
as the installer will upcharge the customer on the high end labor in home theater systems costing 20k...50k...100k or more.

For people like members of this forum, who essentially know what players on the market are best for their system,
and are building their own system, a player like the BDP-103D or BDP-105D is almost always going to be best choice.
There may be a few people out there who are going to want and actually use the HDBaseT feature of the 101CI,
and that's probably the only feature that sets it apart from their consumer models.

No one is really going to save much money by going with a base model 101CI compared to a BDP-103.
You can even try to get a refurb 103 model from Oppo when they have them from time to time
for the same price as what a 101CI would cost anyway,
and their refurb players are basically indistinguishable from a new player, with identical packaging, accessories, and warranty.
To me it's pretty much a no brainer, since you actually get more features on a 103 or 103D model,
with the only exception being the optional HDBaseT feature.
(EDIT: and as gsr says below, the trigger function as well.)

#21 ·
If it's fitted with the same AV decoding chip-set as the BDP-10x series of players, then yes most probably ;)

#23 ·
FYI - I purchased a unit this past week and installed it yesterday. It is the standard unit with one HDMI out and 2 channel audio. No other options installed. It is a typical Oppo unit, heavy, well built, very easy menu to navigate and lots of ability to adjust picture with the excellent VRS ClearView video processor. Had a software update that was downloaded and installed in a few minutes. Quick load times are another plus. Overall, I feel it is a another hit from Oppo and is right on point for what it was designed for from their website- The design of the BDT-101CI focuses on its core function of disc playback. 5 out of 5 in my book.

Chas
C-Dub006

Reactions: heimkino69
#25 ·
Given the distribution channels Oppo is using for this product, I wouldn't expect to see a lot of discussion of it here. Many of the people who end up with one often won't know much, if anything, about the gear their installer uses as they're going to be paying for a custom home theater and don't want to be hands on in the process.

#28 ·
Tech specs:
https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdt-101CI/

Advanced Features

• Universal disc format support including Blu-ray, Blu-ray 3D1, DVD, DVD-Audio, Super Audio CD, CD, HDCD and more
  • Upscaling to Ultra HD (4K) resolution
  • VRS® (Video Reference Series) ClearView™ video processing
  • Dolby® TrueHD and Dolby Digital Plus decoding
  • DTS-HD Master Audio™ decoding
  • Bitstream output compatible with Dolby Atmos and DTS-X
  • Three USB ports for playback of media files2 (AVCHD, MKV, AVI, MP4, WAV, FLAC, APE, DSD, etc.)
  • Ethernet port for BD-Live, firmware upgrade and home network media file playback
  • True 24p™ video for Blu-ray encoded in 24Hz frame rate and optional conversion of DVD to 24p
  • Multiple zoom modes
  • Advanced picture control including video smoothing, detail and edge enhancement
  • Premium 32-bit audio DAC by AKM
  • Optical and coaxial digital audio outputs
  • Rigid steel chassis and center mounted disc loader with motion balance and vibration isolating mechanisms
  • Back-lit remote control

Custom Integration Features

• Versatile modular design with many customized options
  • One or two HDMI outputs via the additional HDMI output module
  • Optional HDBaseT output module for long cable runs
  • Stereo or optional 7.1ch analog audio output module
  • Optional rack mount kit
  • Large front panel buttons with finger guards
  • RS232 and IP control for system integration
  • Switchable rear IR sensor for a clean IR blaster/emitter installation
  • HDMI CEC (Consumer Electronics Control)
  • Three customizable picture adjustment presets
  • Settings can be locked to prevent inadvertent changes

Notes:
1 Requires proper 3D television and glasses.
2 Compatibility with user-encoded contents or user-created discs is on a best-effort basis with no guarantee due to the variation of media, software and techniques used.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners.

Specifications
Designs and specifications are subject to change without notice.
Disc Types BD-Video, Blu-ray 3D, DVD-Video, DVD-Audio, AVCHD, SACD, CD, HDCD, Kodak Picture CD, CD-R/RW, DVD±R/RW, DVD±R DL, BD-R/RE BD Profile BD-ROM Version 2.5 Profile 5 (also compatible with Profile 1 Version 1.0 and 1.1) Output Analog Audio: stereo / 5.1ch / 7.1ch
Coaxial/Optical Audio: up to 2ch/192kHz PCM, Dolby Digital, DTS.
HDMI Audio: up to 7.1ch/192kHz PCM, up to 5.1ch DSD, bitstream.
HDMI Video: 480i/480p/576i/576p/720p/1080i/1080p/1080p24/UHD, 3D frame-packing 720p/1080p24. Audio Characteristics
(Nominal specification) Frequency: 20Hz – 20kHz (±0.2dB), 20Hz – 96kHz (-3.5dB ~ +0.05dB)
Signal-to-Noise Ratio: >105dB (A-weighted)
THD+N: < 0.0012% (1kHz at 0dBFS, 20kHz LPF) General Specification Power Supply: ~100V – 240V, 50/60Hz AC
Power Consumption: 40W (Standby: 0.5W in Energy Efficient Mode)
Dimensions: 16.9 x 11.3 x 4.1 inches (430mm x 287mm x 105mm)
Mass: 9.9 lbs (4.5kg) Operating Temperature 41°F - 95°F
5°C - 35°C Operating Humidity 15% - 75%
No condensation Parts & Labor Warranty 2 Years

#29 · (Edited by Moderator)
My own review on it:

It has actually been a real pleasure using it as a CD player, and I am not missing my older Oppo 105 at all. In fact I prefer the sound from it to that. It may not be as mainstream as it's brethren, the 103 / 105, but it will be a good addition for those who just want solid playback with good reliability.

This Oppo is probably the cumulation of a select bunch of parts that make sure it keeps going on and on.

I suspect it will be used as a mule for a future UHD transport, just swop out the laser and place in the right HDMI board and you can get a new UDH player..

#30 ·
Please pardon my ignorance.
I've not been following tech developments for a couple years.
I've been enjoying my NEC 61XR4 for about 9 1/2 years and my OPPO 980H.
I have a Panasonic BD 35 in my storage closet as it is so slow I could not stand to use it.
Being old with vision problems not correctable to 20/20 has made DVD quite acceptable.
We rent (not buy) DVD discs (not streaming) from Netflix.

I'm guessing I'll be replacing both in the relatively near future.
If I were replacing today I would probable get a Samsung 75" at Costco.
As for the disc player, that's why I'm here.

A bullet-proof, no frills, player only, DVD - BD is what I would like.
Very fast load and operating speeds are essential.
I'm having trouble finding definitive numbers on load speeds.
Is there a thread or site these numbers might be found?

Here are 2 direct questions on the Oppo BDT-101CI to display my ignorance:

1) Using either digital or optic ports is 2 channel all that comes out without upgrade?
Due to environmental (neighbors) circumstances I currently use a 3 channel soundstage.
Not looking for analog out.

2) Just how fast is this unit compared to others you might have used?

My thanks to any and all who may be able to help.

#31 ·
1) Using either digital or optic ports is 2 channel all that comes out without upgrade?
Due to environmental (neighbors) circumstances I currently use a 3 channel soundstage.
Not looking for analog out.
No, the SPDIF ports will transmit 5.1 legacy audio, DD or DTS. The HDMI port will transmit HD audio, DTS-MA or DTHD.

2) Just how fast is this unit compared to others you might have used?
Probably about the same as most players with dual-core processors.
If all you want is basic playback of DVD and BD, just get a cheaper Samsung player to go with that TV, they may even give you one free.

#37 ·
We haven't seen much discussion from owners of the 101CI yet, and even less about such things like region free mods.
The 101CI is a 10x player just like the BDP-103, BDP-103D, BDP-105, and BDP-105D.
...but I am not sure if other region free mods that work for those other players will also work for a 101CI.
The only thing specific I have seen for the 101CI is this one here http://www.jvbdigital.nl/jvb.asp?cur=2&level=modifications&page=title&title=1278.

#39 ·
The User and Installer Manuals for the BDT-101CI are available here:

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdt-101CI/blu-ray-BDT-101CI-Support.aspx

Yes, it can stream MKV files, and various other formats, from an SMB or DLNA server on your home network. It can not stream ISOs. No player licensed by the Blu-ray Disc Association can stream ISOs.

Yes it can decode Bitstream audio and send that out as HDMI LPCM. If the content is 7.1 and the device you are connecting to can handle 7.1 input that will be LPCM 7.1. The device you are connecting to, typically an Audio Video Receiver, will, of course, have to support HDMI HDCP (copy protection).

If you have the 7.1 Analog option installed, the player will also produce multi-channel Analog audio for output.

--Bob

#40 ·
This particular model is intended for sale to system and home theater integrators and strips out some of the features found in other Oppo 10x series players. None of the Oppo 10x players play .iso but will all of them play .mkvs from networks via either DLNA or SMB. See the FAQ for each the 103 or 105 posted in the first couple of posts on their threads on this forum. It indicates all the file types the Oppos will handle. You can also connect USB drives directly to the Oppos. This particular model will not have any streaming apps or additional HDMI inputs.

Yes, also to your second question, though I would assume an integrator-built system would probably use a receiver or pre-pro as the preferred method.

You can get the complete specs on this model at Oppo's website: www.oppodigital.com.

Reactions: neo_2009
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.