Official Samsung UBD-K8500 4K HDR Ultra HD Blu-Ray Player Owner's Thread - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7400Likes

Old 02-09-2016, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked: 1259
Official Samsung UBD-K8500 4K HDR Ultra HD Blu-Ray Player Owner's Thread

This thread is for owner's and prospective owners of the newly released Samsung UHD Blu-ray Player, and questions about the player. This is not the thread for software discussion, mine has shipped, I'm waiting, where to buy, price talk, etc. All posts along that line will be deleted without warning.

Specs:

Full Specifications

General

Color: Black
Design Concept: Curved with Touch Control Buttons and Front LED Display
Deck Type: Slide Out Disc Tray

Features

2D & 3D Playback: Yes
Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC): Yes
BD Wise: Yes
CD Ripping: Yes
Wireless Multiroom Compatible: Yes

Apps Platform: Smart Blu-ray with Full Web Browser and Samsung Apps Smart Hub

Audio Processing:

Dolby Digital 7.1 Channel
Dolby True HD: Yes
DTS-HD: Yes

Video Features:

UHD Up-scale: Yes
OSD Default Language: English

AV Decoding Format

AVCHD 1.0, WMV, JPEG, MVK, MPO, MPEG-2, MPEG-4

Color System: NTSC

Connectivity

HDMI Out: 2
AllShare™ (DLNA)
Built-in Wi-Fi
Ethernet
Screen Mirroring
Optical Digital Audio Outputs: 1

Power Consumption

Stand-by Power Consumption (Main): 0.3W
Operating Power Consumption (Main): 34W

Supported Media

Ultra HD Blu-ray
Blu-ray
CD / CD-R / CD-RW
DVD / DVD±R / DVD±RW
3D Blu-ray

Dimensions & Weight

Product Dimensions (W x H x D): 15.98" x 1.76" x 9.06"
Product Weight (lb.): 4.19 lb.
Shipping Dimensions (W x H x D): 18.11" x 4.45" x 11.30"
Shipping Weight (lb.): 6.17 lb.

Accessory
User Manual
Battery

Product Support:

http://www.samsung.com/us/video/home-audio/UBD-K8500/ZA

FAQ (Questions and Answers from Owners):

Q: Do the player's apps support HDR?
A: Yes. Amazon and Netflix

Q: How do you disable HDR on the player?
A: You don't. Or watch the blu-ray version. (Stanton)

Q: What do you set the Deep Color option on for this player?
A: Leave it OFF, it is not needed.

The UHD Blu-ray movies are mastered in 10-bit color.

The player outputs 10-bit color with it OFF. (12-bit if it's ON) (Stanton)

Setting Up/Connecting the K8500

Method 1: When your AVR supports HDR Passthrough

1. Run a High Speed HDMI cable from HDMI output 1 (Main) of the player to a supported HDMI jack on your receiver. Run a separate High Speed cable from your AVR out jack to a supported input on your TV.
2. Set HDMI audio Output in the player to Auto.
3. Set Digital Output to bitstream.

Method 2: When you are using a receiver that does not support HDR passthrough:

1. Run HDMI 1 directly to an appropriate port on your television. Run HDMI 2 to your receiver. Set HDMI audio output to HDMI 2.
2. Set audio to Bitstream Unprocessed if your receiver decodes lossless audio codecs Dolby TrueHD, DTS Master Audio. Set audio to PCM if your receiver does not decode Lossless audio codecs.

Recommended Player Settings for video:
*** This is for 4K Ultra HD BD viewing in HDR with Wide color Gamut ***

On the K-8500:

Settings > Picture > Tv Aspect Ratio: 16:9 Original
BD Wise: Off (Only applicable to Samsung Displays. Player and display must be directly connected. When on in the player the 8500 will output standard Blu-ray at 1080p.)
Resolution: Auto ( or 2160p for 4K Ultra BD and 1080p for BD. This will make the TV do the upscaling. It upscales better than the player.)
Movie Frame (24Fs): Auto
DVD 24Fs Conversion: Auto
Fit Screen Size: Size 4 ( Your choice ) (Only applies to screen mirroring and Smarthub)
HDMI Color Format: Auto
HDMI Deep Color: Off

Preference setting:
Standard Mode, or while a movie is playing hit the Tools button and select user picture mode and set everything to mid point (zeroes).

For display settings, please refer to the thread for your display.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8500 Front.png
Views:	19693
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	1242633   Click image for larger version

Name:	8500 Back Panel.png
Views:	20373
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	1242641  

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Oppo UDP-203 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.

Last edited by teachsac; 02-20-2017 at 08:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2016, 12:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1460 Post(s)
Liked: 4138
Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD BDP Goes On Sale

Last Friday marked the start of a new era in home entertainment—the Samsung UBD-K8500 Ultra HD Blu-ray player became available at retail for $400. One of the first places to actually have units in stock is Los Angeles-based retailer Video & Audio Center. According to Tom Campbell, VAC's Chief Technologist, all four locations—Santa Monica, Torrance-South Bay, Agoura Hills, and the Village at Westfield Topanga—quickly sold out of their inventory and then accepted full payment for a total of 103 more for delivery in a week or two. He says that one person even flew in from San Francisco, bought a player, and flew back the same evening! Meanwhile, several AVS members report having received shipping notifications from Best Buy and Amazon, and a few have bought the player at Fry's.

Of course, the UBD-K8500 will play and upscale regular Blu-rays and DVDs, but more importantly, it's the first commercially available device that can play Ultra HD Blu-rays with UHD native resolution and high dynamic range (HDR). At Video & Audio Center last Friday, the UBD-K8500 was playing two Ultra HD Blu-ray titles from 20th Century Fox—The Martian and Kingsman: The Secret Service—which VAC already has in shrink-wrapped cases and ready to sell starting on the release date of March 1, 2016. The movies were displayed on a Samsung UN65KS9800, the company's 2016 flagship SUHD LCD TV, which should probably be available in the Spring.

Even better, it's widely reported that over 100 Ultra HD Blu-ray titles are expected to ship this year from Fox, Warner, Sony Pictures, and Lionsgate. What a great time to be a home-theater geek!

Scott Wilkinson
Editor, AVS Forum
Old 02-09-2016, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Subscribed! I got mine last Saturday at Fry's. Unfortunately I got no room on my rack. Scott how is UHD HDR play back on this? I'm sure you have connections.

Update:

Picture modes: After some testing there are four picture modes for the KS8500. Dynamic, standard, movie and user. Using a blue only mode and a SMPTE pluge patter I inspected how each mode effected color reproduction. Dynamic and movie modes throws off the color but standard and user have very little effect. User mode is a pass thru mode if you don't change any setting in it.. You can double click user mode to adjust the settings.

Up scaling: You are able to select auto or a specific resolution. If you select Auto the K8500 will do the up scaling and it works quite well. If you select any other resolution below 2160p it will scale it to that resolution and then the TV will scale it to its native resolution. If your going to let your TV do the up scaling make sure to select 1080p for standard HD content and which back to auto/2160p for UHD Blu-ray's.

HDR: Currently the onboard apps do not support HDR. If you select an UHD HDR title from amazon it will only be UHD and not HDR. Lots of AVS members are already working with customer support with amazon to get an update of the app on the K8500.

HDMI Deep color: There are four options Auto, YCbCr(4:4:4) and RGB enhanced and standard. Most sets will gladly accept YCbCr(4:4:4) and display it fine. Every set will convert the input to RGB. If your set is capable of taking RGB directly and it doesn't convert back to YCbCR then back RGB select this. There are test patterns avalilable to testing for proper color space.
Stanton, WERA689, wxman and 2 others like this.

Current gear: UN65JS8500 (Main TV), M40-C2(Guestroom TV), I1D3(Using HCFR)
Retired: TH-50PX80U, M55-C2 (Returned)
Duds: 2x XBR-65X930D(bent frame, 3D unwatchable and clouding), P65-C1(3x Yellow banding, dead pixels), UN65JS8500(blue bleed) UN60J6200 (Returned, dead pixels), M65-C1(3x Defective units, all dead pixel and yellow banding)

Last edited by SnipeUout; 02-19-2016 at 10:40 PM.

Old 02-09-2016, 04:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnipeUout View Post
Subscribed! I got mine last Saturday at Fry's. Unfortunately I got no room on my rack. Scott how is UHD HDR play back on this? I'm sure you have connections.

Um.. Make room? people need to know how this performs. Show us the way. ☺
Old 02-09-2016, 05:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kressilac View Post
Um.. Make room? people need to know how this performs. Show us the way. ☺
If only I had a UHD disk. Check the other thread for some basic info.

Duds: 2x XBR-65X930D(bent frame, 3D unwatchable and clouding), P65-C1(3x Yellow banding, dead pixels), UN65JS8500(blue bleed) UN60J6200 (Returned, dead pixels), M65-C1(3x Defective units, all dead pixel and yellow banding)
Old 02-09-2016, 11:19 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 9918 Post(s)
Liked: 8592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post

Of course, the UBD-K8500 will play and upscale regular Blu-rays and DVDs, but more importantly, it's the first commercially available device that can play Ultra HD Blu-rays with UHD native resolution and high dynamic range (HDR). At Video & Audio Center last Friday, the UBD-K8500 was playing two Ultra HD Blu-ray titles from 20th Century Fox—The Martian and Kingsman: The Secret Service—which VAC already has in shrink-wrapped cases and ready to sell starting on the release date of March 1, 2016. The movies were displayed on a Samsung UN65KS9800, the company's 2016 flagship SUHD LCD TV, which should probably be available in the Spring.

Even better, it's widely reported that over 100 Ultra HD Blu-ray titles are expected to ship this year from Fox, Warner, Sony Pictures, and Lionsgate. What a great time to be a home-theater geek!

Scott, are you sure it was the ks9800 and not the ks9500? If it was the new full array ks9800, I wonder if anyone snagged pictures?
Old 02-10-2016, 05:17 AM

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 112
No HDR?

Hi, I got my player yesterday (Fry's) and while watching HDR shows on Amazon & MGO No HDR is present. Watching the same shows thru my Sammy 55JS9000 HDR is present, maybe a firmware upgrade later?
Old 02-10-2016, 05:23 AM

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I've been impressed so far with the player. My only hiccups have been Amazon 4k streaming and Youtube 4k streaming. Both were cutting in and out. I have my player hard wired to my network, and I have a Fios 150 Mbps connection, so it shouldn't be the connection. There is a chance it's my HDMI cable. It's old (just swapped players out) and I haven't had a chance to find a high speed one I bought a while ago.
jeep05 likes this.
Old 02-10-2016, 06:42 AM

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post

Is it true that it doesn't do HDR?
Old 02-10-2016, 06:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 132
I'm looking forward to hearing users impressions of the Sammy player. I'm glad it is finally here. I can't wait to get my hands on one.
jeep05 likes this.

My set up
Marantz SR-7008, Emotiva XPA-3
Sony UBP-X800 Ultra 4K Blu Ray Player
Klipsch RB-81II, RC-52II, Boston Acoustics Micro 120s
Klipsch SW-310, RPW-10, Samsung UN65JS8500FXZA
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1227096
Old 02-10-2016, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 924 Post(s)
Liked: 936
The VUDU app returns an internal error when I try to start it. The error codes are unreadable as they overlay other text on the screen.
Old 02-10-2016, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by claw View Post
The VUDU app returns an internal error when I try to start it. The error codes are unreadable as they overlay other text on the screen.
I filed a customer support request on Saturday with Vudu for the issue and received a reply that the player isn't supported yet and they have forwarded the issue on to Engineering. Nothing else since then.
WERA689 and jeep05 like this.
Old 02-10-2016, 11:01 AM
Advanced Member

The apps currently do not support HDR. UHD disk and USB files will produce HDR.
jeep05 likes this.

Old 02-10-2016, 12:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 4008 Post(s)
Liked: 2821
Hooked up the Samsung UHD player, and first impression is impressive. Does a much better job upscaling blu ray to 4k than does my LG 65EF9500 OLED or my OPPO 103D. I played a couple of movies that had artifacts, and with the Samsung, they are completely gone. The picture has more detail. The blu ray actually does look 4K. The remote is a bit cheap. I set the Samsung deep color to Auto and also enabled deep color on the tv. Initially there were some handshake issues with it set to auto. Screen would turn black every few seconds, but once movies was playing, no issue. Don't know if deep color is needed for 4K as Samsung has it off by default. Overall, I am happy with it. The good news is the 4k upscaler is better than my tv or Oppo 103D.

Last edited by wxman; 02-10-2016 at 12:28 PM.
Old 02-10-2016, 12:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
Hooked up the Samsung UHD player, and first impression is impressive. Does a much better job upscaling blu ray to 4k than does my LG 65EF9500 OLED or my OPPO 103D. I played a couple of movies that had artifacts, and with the Samsung, they are completely gone. The picture has more detail. The blu ray actually does look 4K. The remote is a bit cheap. I set the Samsung deep color to Auto and also enabled deep color on the tv. Initially there were some handshake issues with it set to auto. Screen would turn black every few seconds, but once movies was playing, no issue. Don't know if deep color is needed for 4K as Samsung has it off by default. Overall, I am happy with it. The good news is the 4k upscaler is better than my tv or Oppo 103D.
I'm envious. Had to send mine back; it wouldn't completely power up. Blinking red light only, tray would open and close, but couldn't get a green light and the setup screen.
Old 02-10-2016, 01:29 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked: 494
Got mine just now and hooked it up. Random thoughts:

1) Tray is slow to open though the machine itself is pretty quick.

2) The remote is a POS and the D pad in particular a real PITA to use for navigating and especially for entering usernames and passwords on apps

3) I don't find any Picture modes in the menus...are they buried somewhere?

4) It's not in the Harmony database yet but I used a Samsung bluray player...model 7500 something or other and it seems to work fine.

If anyone can point out where those Picture modes are I'd appreciate. Weird that I don't see them.
jeep05 likes this.

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
Old 02-10-2016, 01:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post
Got mine just now and hooked it up. Random thoughts:

If anyone can point out where those Picture modes are I'd appreciate. Weird that I don't see them.
When you put blu ray into tray and close, and it starts up, hit the tools button on the remote. You can then choose your picture setting.
Old 02-10-2016, 01:46 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked: 494
Quote:
When you put blu ray into tray and close, and it starts up, hit the tools button on the remote. You can then choose your picture setting.
Thanks! That was it. Switched to User (everything was zero-d out in it, so I agree it's likely the passthrough mode).

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
Old 02-10-2016, 01:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post
Thanks! That was it. Switched to User (everything was zero-d out in it, so I agree it's likely the passthrough mode).
You can't edit any setting in the other modes for some reason. Perhaps that will be different when you insert a 4K HDR disc. i think Standard is the same as User with everything zeroed out.
Old 02-10-2016, 02:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Overall, I am happy with it. The good news is the 4k upscaler is better than my tv or Oppo 103D.
Sorry, have a hard time buying this last statement.... Would love to see something concrete to back up such a claim. I'm aware of the placebo effect, just wondering if you might be suffering from it?.... Please don't take this as me calling bs, or attacking you personally.. but I have a hard time believing a lower tier (in 4K land), new to the market player from samsung, suddenly makes a great Oppo player look bad.. Would appreciate something more substantial.. Thanks!

Edit: To be clear, I hope you're right as I have one ordered, but as stated, just can't believe it...

Sent from my Nexus 6
CRITICALSHOT likes this.

Last edited by TweakerInWA; 02-10-2016 at 02:18 PM.
Old 02-10-2016, 02:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 975 Post(s)
Liked: 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnipeUout View Post
HDMI Deep color: There are four options Auto, YCbCr(4:4:4) and RGB enhanced and standard. Most displays movie mode is calibrated to 16-235 then sticking with YCbCr mode is recommended. However, UHD Blu-ray's are (4:2:0) at 10 bit, the KS8500 converts that to (4:4:4). Currently HDMI 2.0a does not support 2160p 10bit (4:4:4). Without away to send 4:2:0 across HDMI we will lose the 10-bit color.
I'm confused. Are you saying that there is no way to output 10-bit 2160p from the player because it doesn't allow you to output the 4:2:0 on the disc? It only allows 4:4:4, RGB standard, or RGB enhanced? Even so, 10-bit 2160p24 with RGB/4:4:4 chroma is covered by the HDMI 2.0 spec, so it should work. The only thing that should be an issue is 10-bit (or higher) 2160p60 with RGB/4:4:4 chroma.

Does "Auto" allow output of 4:2:0 or does it just automatically switch between 4:4:4, RGB standard, and RGB enhanced?
Old 02-10-2016, 02:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TweakerInWA View Post
Sorry, have a hard time buying this last statement.... Would love to see something concrete to back up such a claim. I'm aware of the placebo effect, just wondering if you might be suffering from it?.... Please don't take this as me calling bs, or attacking you personally.. but I have a hard time believing a lower tier (in 4K land), new to the market player from samsung, suddenly makes a great Oppo player look bad.. Would appreciate something more substantial.. Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 6
It does look better. No doubt about it. Artifacts are gone on my OLED, that are there when using the OPPO to upscale.
WOLVERNOLE, qwho51, jeep05 and 2 others like this.
Old 02-10-2016, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
It does look better. No doubt about it. Artifacts are gone on my OLED, that are there when using the OPPO to upscale.
Perhaps upscaling technology has improved since the release of the OPPO several years ago.
WOLVERNOLE, joe221, rlb and 4 others like this.

Bob Holmes
Curmudgeon
Old 02-10-2016, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I'm aware of your trials and tribulations, as we frequent the same owner's thread. Allowing your AVR to upscale also helped reduce/eliminate artifacting on the display.... So I'm just sceptical that the Samsung's video processing is actually "better" than the Oppo, or more so related to the same process you've used previously, just allowing another piece in your chain to preform the upscaling.... Would like to see some objective A/B comparisons done...

Sent from my Nexus 6
CRITICALSHOT likes this.
Old 02-10-2016, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDHolmes View Post
Perhaps upscaling technology has improved since the release of the OPPO several years ago.
Possibly.... Just don't know!!

Sent from my Nexus 6
Old 02-10-2016, 02:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Here you can see a difference. Look inside the image and you will see blockiness. The first is the OPPO. The second the Samsung. Samsung has greatly reduced blockiness. Both players set to 4K. Both have the exact same settings on the tv. Both connected directly to the tv. Will you notice it on most 4k tv's? Probably not. You will notice it on an OLED.

Stanton, aaronwt, qwho51 and 4 others like this.

Last edited by wxman; 02-10-2016 at 02:46 PM.
Old 02-10-2016, 03:50 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 5775 Post(s)
Liked: 3530
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDHolmes View Post
Of course it has. The Oppo has been out for awhile.
Troy LaMont, qwho51 and RLBURNSIDE like this.

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
Sony 65x850C--Sony UBP-X800--Sony HT-NT3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Old 02-10-2016, 04:12 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by namirkhan View Post
I'm envious. Had to send mine back; it wouldn't completely power up. Blinking red light only, tray would open and close, but couldn't get a green light and the setup screen.
I'm having the same power up problem. Only a Blinking Red light. Tray will open and close but I cant get it to power on?
Old 02-10-2016, 04:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonytag View Post
I'm having the same power up problem. Only a Blinking Red light. Tray will open and close but I cant get it to power on?
I just took mine back to Best Buy and ordered a new one. I hope I'm not falling into that trap of repeating the same experiment over and over and expecting a different result.
Old 02-10-2016, 04:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonytag View Post
Do you actually have it hooked up to your TV with your TV on? Mine blinked red like that too and was outputting a signal to my tv (the setup menu) without even attempting to turn the player on. I didn't even have the battery in the remote yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
color calibration , hdr player , member , settings