Samsung UBD-K8500 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player Picks Up Premium Certification - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 13Likes
  • 3 Post By imagic
  • 2 Post By James Freeman
  • 2 Post By Woobieizer
  • 1 Post By James Freeman
  • 3 Post By Toxic teletubby
  • 1 Post By imagic

post #1 of 19 Old 05-04-2016, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4169 Post(s)
Liked: 6879
Samsung UBD-K8500 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player Picks Up Premium Certification

While AVS members know how to sort through the alphabet soup of image quality-related nomenclature, a typical shopper is bound to find a description such as "120 Hz 4K UHD FALD VA QD-LED LCD HDR WCG TV with HDMI 2.0a and HDCP 2.2" to be a bit technical. For such a person, the UHD Alliance’s "Ultra HD Premium" certification and logo is an easy way to identify a top-tier product that can handle the latest consumer video formats properly, as is now the case with the Samsung UBD-K8500 Ultra HD Blu-ray player.

Samsung recently announced that its UBD-K8500 is the first player of its type to earn the UHD Premium certification. Technically, it means the player is compliant with established standards for resolution, peak brightness, deep black levels, wide color gamut, and HDMI 2.0a with HDCP 2.2—everything you need to present HDR (high dynamic range) content properly. You'll need a display that supports the same technologies to get the most out of the new Ultra HD Blu-rays, and an easy way to do that is to pick a TV that has the same certification and logo. Mind you, the certification and logo are voluntary and purely optional—it's just a way to simplify shopping for consumers who are allergic to technical details.

As is typical with this sort of news, a company executive's quote was included in the press release. Jim Kiczek, Vice President of AV Marketing, said: "We are honored that our first Ultra HD Blu-ray player... has received Premium Certification from the UHDA. As we continuously strive to bring consumers the most advanced home entertainment products and services, we look forward to furthering our work with the UHD Alliance to incite progress and growth throughout the industry."

I have a UBD-K8500 right here in my studio, and I plan to review it soon. The only holdup is that I don't have a TV that can take full advantage of its capabilities. In other words, I'm still waiting to get my hand on an Ultra HD Premium TV to use with it. That should happen quite soon, I'll keep you posted.

Mark Henninger

Last edited by imagic; 05-04-2016 at 10:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 05-04-2016, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1149 Post(s)
Liked: 716
The UHDA would be shooting themselves in the foot by denying the certification.
post #3 of 19 Old 05-04-2016, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Any UHD Blu-Ray Player is "by default" Ultra HD Premium certified, this is obvious and clear as day light
The certification for the player is there to put the sticker on it so that the consumer will know it's a "UltraHD" product at a quick glance.

Is there a UHD Blu-Ray Player that can't decode 3840×2160, 10-bit, BT.2020, ST2084 from a UHD disc and send it via HDMI 2.0 port?
Obviously not and will never be.
sippelmc and nathanddrews like this.

Last edited by James Freeman; 05-04-2016 at 01:09 PM.
post #4 of 19 Old 05-05-2016, 01:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 225
5 out of 6 dentist approve

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatpanelshd
"UHD Premium" is a certification and logo created by the UHD Alliance. What most people do not know is that while many companies are members of the UHD Alliance, it was mainly Samsung’s idea. Based on our sources Samsung had hoped to create a certification that would disqualify OLED. Those plans were squashed when one particular player joined the group (not LG). It is not important who but ultimately the alliance created two contrast specifications as part of "UHD Premium"; what many people are referring to as OLED and LCD specifications.
Read more at http://www.flatpanelshd.com/article....HGv7LRYGHVV.99

Statement of Vizio's disagreement with UHD Alliance
http://www.cnet.com/forums/discussio...th-uhda-reply/

Let's not forget that Samsung want to be your go to IoT for better or worse.

UHD Alliance Members
http://www.uhdalliance.org/members/
Spoiler!

UHD Alliance Board of Directors ~ *Biography can be obtained on main link below*
http://www.uhdalliance.org/board-of-directors/
Spoiler!

UHDA Member Companies an MPAA Member Companies
Twentieth Century Fox
Sony Pictures Entertainment
Universal Studios
Walt Disney Studios
Warner Bros. Entertainment

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Not a member of UHDA, but member of MPAA
*“The UHD Alliance has been instrumental in establishing standards for 4K Ultra HD, which is critical to the introduction of the next leap forward in home entertainment.”
— Bob Buchi, President, Worldwide Home Media Distribution, Paramount Pictures*
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
UHDA Member Companies
Spoiler!
Utopianemo and James Freeman like this.
post #5 of 19 Old 05-05-2016, 11:06 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woobieizer View Post
Read more at http://www.flatpanelshd.com/article....HGv7LRYGHVV.99

Statement of Vizio's disagreement with UHD Alliance
http://www.cnet.com/forums/discussio...th-uhda-reply/

Let's not forget that Samsung want to be your go to IoT for better or worse.

UHD Alliance Members
http://www.uhdalliance.org/members/
Spoiler!

UHD Alliance Board of Directors ~ *Biography can be obtained on main link below*
http://www.uhdalliance.org/board-of-directors/
Spoiler!

UHDA Member Companies an MPAA Member Companies
Twentieth Century Fox
Sony Pictures Entertainment
Universal Studios
Walt Disney Studios
Warner Bros. Entertainment

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Not a member of UHDA, but member of MPAA
*“The UHD Alliance has been instrumental in establishing standards for 4K Ultra HD, which is critical to the introduction of the next leap forward in home entertainment.”
— Bob Buchi, President, Worldwide Home Media Distribution, Paramount Pictures*
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
UHDA Member Companies
Spoiler!
I am gambling that the New Playstation will be an Ultra HD Blu-Ray player.
post #6 of 19 Old 05-05-2016, 12:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 25
....now I'm even more confused than ever!!!!!

post #7 of 19 Old 05-05-2016, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANEWMadrid View Post
Yes but will it be UHD Premium certified?
aaronwt likes this.
post #8 of 19 Old 05-05-2016, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Perhaps Mark, until you get the right TV to use, would you provide some feedback on the audio hardware and types of playback (along with performance)?

While the video aspect can wait maybe the audio is a good place to start. I would be curious how it stacks up against say - Oppo 103(D) and the sought after 105 (D). From digital "HD" audio files to CDs etc. would be in order.

Thanks in advance.
post #9 of 19 Old 05-05-2016, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Freeman View Post
Yes but will it be UHD Premium certified?
hahah. true dat. they will try to confuse us even further.
post #10 of 19 Old 05-05-2016, 03:42 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrehdd View Post
Perhaps Mark, until you get the right TV to use, would you provide some feedback on the audio hardware and types of playback (along with performance)?

While the video aspect can wait maybe the audio is a good place to start. I would be curious how it stacks up against say - Oppo 103(D) and the sought after 105 (D). From digital "HD" audio files to CDs etc. would be in order.

Thanks in advance.
I downloaded 4 albums last weekend (yes, I purchased them) and put the flac files on a USB thumbdrive. I initially played, or tried to play the files via USB on a Marantz SR6010. Two of the 4 files played on the Marantz. I then plugged the thumbdrive into my K8500 and was pleasantly surprised that all 4 played. Not only did they all play, but sounded great pumped from the K8500 via HDMI into the Marantz and out to my B&W's.

Bottom line is that for a 1st generation UHD BD player, this thing is a wonderful little machine. It has been basically plug and play from day one. It is quiet and very responsive. Spin up time is mere seconds and the up-conversion is stellar. Playing 4k UHD BD's is just as fast as loading a standard BD. No problems here. Would I buy again? Absolutely
rlb, DamageMcRamage and ANEWMadrid like this.

Marantz SR6010 Onkyo 636 Onkyo NR801
Sammy 55JS7000
B&W F&C
Yamaha TF
Fluance bipoles for rears
JBL Studio Monitor 4406
post #11 of 19 Old 05-05-2016, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 87
I have one connected to my 2015 Samsung JS8500 that only misses the certification due to NIT levels. Its still looked stunningly brilliant watching Sicario in UHD... absolutely mind bending.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" -Arthur C. Clarke
post #12 of 19 Old 05-05-2016, 04:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tleavit View Post
I have one connected to my 2015 Samsung JS8500 that only misses the certification due to NIT levels. Its still looked stunningly brilliant watching Sicario in UHD... absolutely mind bending.
Glad you enjoy the usage. I was hoping to get an idea of a contrast and compare to something akin to the Oppo 105 which has analogue outs and also about the guts (DACs etc.).
post #13 of 19 Old 05-06-2016, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I have a Samsung K-8500 hooked up to a LG G6 & whenever I play a movie I get a white flash across the screen for a brief second.

It only happens once but it happens every time. Does anyone else get a white flash when playing a UHD or Blu-Ray?

It's not my display because it doesn't happen on the Oppo 103D or any other device I use on my display.

It's almost like it's an HDMI issue. I'm using a pretty expensive HDMI cable that is certified 18GB so I don't think it would be the cable.
post #14 of 19 Old 05-06-2016, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Quoted: 4169 Post(s)
Liked: 6879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrehdd View Post

Thanks in advance.
Should have an appropriate TV next week, actually.
Phrehdd likes this.

Mark Henninger
post #15 of 19 Old 05-06-2016, 06:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Should have an appropriate TV next week, actually.
Great! I look forward to your take on the video and audio aspects of this device. Thanks much!
post #16 of 19 Old 05-08-2016, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 271
I have been considering purchasing the Samsung 4K player and then I came across a note that Value Electronics will be using the Panasonic DMP-UB900 4K player in their Flat Panel Shootout this year.

Robert has both the Samsung and the Panasonic player. Yet, he chose the Panasonic.

My question is: Has anyone on this forum compared the Samsung player with the Panasonic?

8.3 Surround, protected by APC H15
Speakers: SpeakerCraft: 6 AIM8 Fives & 2 TIME Fives used as Wides
Woofers: SVS PB13-Ultra (1), HSU MBM-12 MK2 (2)
Samsung UN78JS9500, mLG OLED55E6P
Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD player, Denon 4311CI, Harmony 1100, Harmony Elite, 9 Noctua cooling fans
post #17 of 19 Old 05-18-2016, 03:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANEWMadrid View Post

Let's hope so. That was my previous BD player of choice.
post #18 of 19 Old 05-18-2016, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimShaw View Post
I have been considering purchasing the Samsung 4K player and then I came across a note that Value Electronics will be using the Panasonic DMP-UB900 4K player in their Flat Panel Shootout this year.

Robert has both the Samsung and the Panasonic player. Yet, he chose the Panasonic.

My question is: Has anyone on this forum compared the Samsung player with the Panasonic?
A quick comparison is the price - the Panasonic cost's twice as much as the Samsung. And not available stateside - yet.

Marantz SR6010 Onkyo 636 Onkyo NR801
Sammy 55JS7000
B&W F&C
Yamaha TF
Fluance bipoles for rears
JBL Studio Monitor 4406
post #19 of 19 Old 05-28-2016, 09:27 PM

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Question for someone in the know as the thread is quite long and I didn't have time to scan through it all. What I currently have is a Sony KDL60W840B running through an Onkyo TX-NR1030 the picture is great and I'm enjoying Dolby Atmos with 5.2.4, now I want to continue with the new sound formats and I want to purchase the K8500 for now and use it on input 3 which is 2.0/2.2 compatible but if I set the player to a resolution of 1080P has it been 100% confirmed that it will play the UHD-BD on a 1080P TV without getting an error message? What I plan on getting in the future is the Panasonic TC65DX900 or the LG G6 and the Yamaha RX-A3060 hopefully all by years end.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players