Samsung, Panny, Philips or Oppo (coming soon) 4K UHD players - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 11-28-2016, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Samsung, Panny, Philips or Oppo (coming soon) 4K UHD players

Any comments on performance or feature set of these 4K UHD players? Of course OPPO is not out but maybe some beta testers could comment.

Mike Miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-28-2016, 09:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked: 500
I do hope this thread might get some traffic. The Samsung, Panasonic and Phillips have been out for most of this year. I'd like to know if there are any other new 4K UHD bluray players planned for the next year besides the OPPO. At this point, the OPPO is my target and it looks like that's not changing.

The Samsung K8500 has gotten pretty good response but has some definite limitations. It "is not able to output anything but 4:4:4" color encoding (quoted because this is not my area of expertise) and in general, the Vizio UHD tvs are not able to work with that -- at all. IOW, you can't get UHD from the Samsung on a Vizio tv -- like mine. (Exception: apparently at least some P-series Vizios accept 4:4:4.) Just a heads up...

The Panasonic is pricey (likely more than the OPPO) and doesn't get real solid reviews. I would rather pin my hopes on the quality of the OPPO reputation than pay more for potential problems.

I was at one time this year set on the Phillips, but the design other concerns just knocked it out for me.

So it sure would be nice to know about any other manufacturer's plans for a 4K UHD bluray player. Though quite likely, it would have to be an amazing piece of equipment at a great price to one up OPPO.

Edit: I neglected to mention that Sony has announced what will apparently be a high end (expensive) 4K UHD player for maybe Spring 2017. Most rumor mongers think it will be the most expensive of all... So -- great news for deep pockets.

Atmos/DTS:X HT in Vaulted Room -- LG OLED Settings Options
Yamaha RX-A3060: 7.2.4 or 7.2.2 + Zone2 (switchable); OPPO 203; LG OLED65B6P; Harmony 650 & Home Hub
Base: Mirage OM-6 (FLR), MC-si (C), OM-R2 (SLR), FRx-nine (BLR)
Presence: ELAC A4s (FP), RSL C34Es (RP); 2 aci Titan subs; RP amp: AudioSource AMP100VS

Last edited by richlife; 11-28-2016 at 09:48 PM.
post #3 of 8 Old 11-28-2016, 09:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked: 500
Ok, I found that what I'm looking for is in this thread.

Official "Help Me Choose an UHD Player" Thread

So I'll be watching there.

Atmos/DTS:X HT in Vaulted Room -- LG OLED Settings Options
Yamaha RX-A3060: 7.2.4 or 7.2.2 + Zone2 (switchable); OPPO 203; LG OLED65B6P; Harmony 650 & Home Hub
Base: Mirage OM-6 (FLR), MC-si (C), OM-R2 (SLR), FRx-nine (BLR)
Presence: ELAC A4s (FP), RSL C34Es (RP); 2 aci Titan subs; RP amp: AudioSource AMP100VS

post #4 of 8 Old 11-29-2016, 12:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by richlife View Post
I do hope this thread might get some traffic. The Samsung, Panasonic and Phillips have been out for most of this year. I'd like to know if there are any other new 4K UHD bluray players planned for the next year besides the OPPO. At this point, the OPPO is my target and it looks like that's not changing.

The Samsung K8500 has gotten pretty good response but has some definite limitations. It "is not able to output anything but 4:4:4" color encoding (quoted because this is not my area of expertise) and in general, the Vizio UHD tvs are not able to work with that -- at all. IOW, you can't get UHD from the Samsung on a Vizio tv -- like mine. (Exception: apparently at least some P-series Vizios accept 4:4:4.) Just a heads up...

The Panasonic is pricey (likely more than the OPPO) and doesn't get real solid reviews. I would rather pin my hopes on the quality of the OPPO reputation than pay more for potential problems.

I was at one time this year set on the Phillips, but the design other concerns just knocked it out for me.

So it sure would be nice to know about any other manufacturer's plans for a 4K UHD bluray player. Though quite likely, it would have to be an amazing piece of equipment at a great price to one up OPPO.

Edit: I neglected to mention that Sony has announced what will apparently be a high end (expensive) 4K UHD player for maybe Spring 2017. Most rumor mongers think it will be the most expensive of all... So -- great news for deep pockets.
the 2017 Sony UHD player will only be available through custom installers, so you won't even find them in the regular stores. it's why many were baffled to hear that the PS4 Pro didn't include a UHD player in it
post #5 of 8 Old 12-01-2016, 01:11 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 9301 Post(s)
Liked: 7741
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthJersey View Post
the 2017 Sony UHD player will only be available through custom installers, so you won't even find them in the regular stores. it's why many were baffled to hear that the PS4 Pro didn't include a UHD player in it

Custom installers is a very wide variety of stores which includes Magnolia, Crutchfield, value electronics, among others.

But honestly, the oppo will be best 1 by far
post #6 of 8 Old 12-01-2016, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Looks like the typical fight to the bottom regarding price.

Mike Miles
post #7 of 8 Old 12-01-2016, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Curious what makes Panasonic to hang on the price that is now 3X the price of the Samsung and Philips?

Mike Miles
post #8 of 8 Old 12-02-2016, 03:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiles View Post
Curious what makes Panasonic to hang on the price that is now 3X the price of the Samsung and Philips?
Oppo is not out yet. Samsung and phillips are not competition marketwise to Panasonic. Oppo is. Expect the Panny to come down after the oppo is released.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page