Official OPPO UDP-203 Owner's Thread - Page 29 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 51965Likes

post #841 of 21383 Old 12-14-2016, 03:04 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3777 Post(s)
Liked: 4916
Quote:
Originally Posted by calentz View Post
I have a complex network (W/Servers and NAS) DHCP being disabled is a choice. My other WIFI devices (And Bridge supplying connectivity to my TIVO, Integra & BDP-93) works correctly with the SSID not being broadcast.
OK. Like I said, "hidden" Wifi SSID works without problem for me. And it is easy in the 203 to manually specify the IP address, Gateway, and DNS info for it to use in lieu of DHCP.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #842 of 21383 Old 12-14-2016, 03:07 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 4042
Impressions and pics:

• Only problem so far is Batman V Superman in UHD not being recognized, disc wont play. All other UHD movies I have tried (5) work fine and the discs load very quickly. Problem reported to Oppo.
  • Love the remote back light and how it works
  • As usual, a simple yet very good looking front faceplate. Classy!
  • Came with 1209 FW disc which I installed first
  • Connected to my 5ghz wifi easily
  • Menu's look GREAT
  • The extended info screen while playing a movie is outstanding
  • No red smear found on Star Wars Part 7 Blu-ray, was well documented with Samsung and something I had a problem with
  • A few recent flicks I watched in UHD/HDR that I noticed issues on my display with (mostly how gamma looked and dark scenes) were not that way with HDR stripped mode (Star Trek Beyond, Warcraft and Ind Day Resurgence).
  • TMNT 2, one UHD movie I watched with the Fury and 900, that sold me on that combo, looks just as outstanding on the Oppo with HDR stripped
  • All of the above was dark room viewing on my LG OLED.
  • IMO, running my Tivo Bolt set to 720p/1080i thru the Oppo and it scaling to 4k/60, is obviously more sharp than the Tivo doing 4k/60, and I think it may even be better than the LG doing it

I just went with Auto on everything for now until I find an issue. I have never seen banding with 12 bit output to my display.

Star Wars Blu-ray output

Info from a UHD disc with HDR stripped

What my Marantz reported

Oppo getting 1080i from Tivo Bolt

Oppo getting 720p from Tivo

Marantz info from Tivo thru Oppo
G-Rex, wxman, Craig Peer and 10 others like this.
post #843 of 21383 Old 12-14-2016, 03:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimim View Post
There is no native anymore with Comcast and X11. Sucks. I said 1080i cause 99 percent of channels are that.
Comcast is beginning to down-rez 1080i channels to 720p in order to save bandwidth while claiming this is an improvement. See this post on the Comcast forum.
As part of our ongoing work to improve and modernize the way we deliver HD channels, we are transitioning all of our HD streams to “progressive” format. We are making this change in conjunction with the transition to MPEG-4. This means that some channels that were delivered in 1080i will now be delivered in 720p60.

post #844 of 21383 Old 12-14-2016, 03:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by atabea View Post
I think this is the most important area in which the two units will be judged and yet there is (strangely) precious little information on it. I am also waiting to hear how they compare in this particular area before I triple dip (I owned the Samsung and currently the Panny + Hdfury). The Oppo would have to exceed the Panny's HDR conversion prowess for me to consider jumping in.
Hi,

As per my previous post I cannot tell the difference either video or audio between the Panny and the Oppo but I cannot do a side by side.

Cheers,
post #845 of 21383 Old 12-14-2016, 03:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 727 Post(s)
Liked: 790
Greetings-

Here's my experience:

TLDR;turn HDMI subsampling off / on if snow on screen

(Note that my system was working perfectly before the swap)

Relevant components:
  • UDP-203
  • Denon AVR-X6200W AVR w/latest firmware
  • Vizio P75-C1 w/3.06 firmware

I unboxed the 203 and swapped it in for the K8500. I was immediately in love with the industrial brushed metal look - it perfectly matches my AVR and amp.

I turned the system on but when the 203 came on and the LCD lit up, it was unresponsive. I couldn't even eject the tray. So I pulled the plug and turned it on again with success. I was met with a full screen of snow, with a very faint box in the background. I power cycled the whole system and saw the same thing. Odd, I never had cable issues before. So I swapped it out for the included Oppo cable...same result. Oh man...is my new toy DOA? Let's go straight from the 203 to the P75. Bingo! Ok, so the 203 isn't dead, and this cable is (still) good. Let's leave it plugged in like this and do the firmware update that it's prompting me on-screen for. DHCP was picked up over the WiFi Bridge it's plugged into. Update completes, 203 reboots, and all looks well.

Plug everything in where it belongs, sit and scratch my head, and then it hit me - to enable HDR when using K8500->6200->P75 I had to ENABLE HDMI Subsampling on that input port on the P75. Turn that back off and Bingo! Turn it back on and snow.

So I suspect that by default, the Oppo outputs a slightly different signal. No idea if that's good or bad, but putting subsampling back to default (off) allows HDR as I just tested below.

Finally, I nuked all devices from my trusty old Logitech Harmony 650 and updated them with what I currently have. I used the UDP-203 entry as someone else did earlier and everything seems to be working - at least for basic playback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
My copy of Bat v Supe UHD, which played fine in the Panny, says unknown in the Oppo and will not play.

Not sure if anyone else can test.
UHD - From when the drawer started closing until I heard the first sound of the WB theme was 24.91 seconds. Skipped forward to some action and wow...does my home theater just shine now...

Seth-o-Plex featuring Atmos/DTS:X 7.3.4 & 4K! - Vizio | Denon | Oppo | Onkyo | SVS | Mirage

Last edited by stikle; 12-14-2016 at 03:39 PM. Reason: general cleanup
post #846 of 21383 Old 12-14-2016, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stikle View Post
UHD - From when the drawer started closing until I heard the first sound of the WB theme was 24.91 seconds. Skipped forward to some action and wow...does my home theater just shine now...
Thanks for checking. I have seen with some players where discs would play for some, but not others, and people had to get a new disc requested from the studio. Maybe that is the case for me, just odd it played in one and not the other.

I may see if I can send it to Oppo for them to test.
post #847 of 21383 Old 12-14-2016, 03:26 PM

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post
Son the Samsung, if set to 2160p, it outputs everything at 2160p. Some people like that, I don't.

Got ya, I only used my player for UHD movies, all 4 of them or so. I have separate Blu Ray player(s)

Selling off the Samsung to get the Oppo.. just cannot help it. I have had every lower end Oppo since the 83!
post #848 of 21383 Old 12-14-2016, 03:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 609 Post(s)
Liked: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostCrowEater View Post
Hi,

As per my previous post I cannot tell the difference either video or audio between the Panny and the Oppo but I cannot do a side by side.

Cheers,
That is good to know and, so far, I may not need to triple dip and buy yet another UHD Player. But since SDR BT2020 is my preferred way of watching UHD discs, I have to wait for feedback on how the two units compare in performing the HDR to SDR conversion. I would love to remove the HDFury from my signal chain but only if there is a substantial improvement in the OPPO
post #849 of 21383 Old 12-14-2016, 03:36 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Thanks for your Impressions and pics.

Why aren't you using 4:4:4? Shouldn't that be the best option?

Last edited by Mike Lang; 12-14-2016 at 06:58 PM.
post #850 of 21383 Old 12-14-2016, 03:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1473 Post(s)
Liked: 991
the max luminance min luminance wheres that come from ?

also why is one in 4:2:2 and one in 4:2:0 ?

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Welcome to my lounge room :)
post #851 of 21383 Old 12-14-2016, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristoffer77 View Post

422 is what it is doing in Auto mode. 422 12 bit might be the max, it is what the Panny does too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alebonau View Post
the max luminance min luminance wheres that come from ?

also why is one in 4:2:2 and one in 4:2:0 ?
I assume the nits are encoded on the disc, pretty cool feature.

The discs are in 420, then must be converted to 422 or 444 for output.
alebonau and kristoffer77 like this.
post #852 of 21383 Old 12-14-2016, 03:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 1195
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristoffer77 View Post

Because he has Colour Space set to Auto so that setting is handled by the HDMI handshake and 4:2:2 is what his display prefers.

At least that's what the settings screen shots show.

4:4:4 is not automatically the best option though it is what many, but not all, displays ask for if you leave that setting on automatic and sometimes a different setting does give better results.
demonfoo and kristoffer77 like this.
post #853 of 21383 Old 12-14-2016, 03:46 PM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
That is good to know and, so far, I may not need to triple dip and buy yet another UHD Player. But since SDR BT2020 is my preferred way of watching UHD discs, I have to wait for feedback on how the two units compare in performing the HDR to SDR conversion. I would love to remove the HDFury from my signal chain but only if there is a substantial improvement in the OPPO
I don't believe there will be a "substantial improvement" except for the benefit of removing another piece of gear from the chain. If the 203 will replicate what you can get with the Panny and the Integral, that will be fine for me and many others I would think. From the comments I have seen so far there does not seem to be much difference besides eliminating the Integral from the equation. Since I have a 203 on order, I am happy to hear it is at least as good as the Panny and Integral combo, but this is limited feedback so far and like you, am anxiously awaiting further reviews.
mbw23air likes this.
post #854 of 21383 Old 12-14-2016, 03:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
422 is what it is doing in Auto mode. 422 12 bit might be the max, it is what the Panny does too.

I assume the nits are encoded on the disc, pretty cool feature.

The discs are in 420, then must be converted to 422 or 444 for output.
thanks for clarifying, yeah thats AWESOME if we can see the nits encoded

thanks for posting and the screen shots what you are seeing

post #855 of 21383 Old 12-14-2016, 03:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by bweissman View Post
Comcast is beginning to down-rez 1080i channels to 720p in order to save bandwidth while claiming this is an improvement. See this post on the Comcast forum.
As part of our ongoing work to improve and modernize the way we deliver HD channels, we are transitioning all of our HD streams to “progressive” format. We are making this change in conjunction with the transition to MPEG-4. This means that some channels that were delivered in 1080i will now be delivered in 720p60.

i know this isn't the place but i asked on their forums about this and they claim it is for NON X1 users to save bandwidth. don't know if it's true but thats what they said
post #856 of 21383 Old 12-14-2016, 03:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:
I'm confused, are you saying you prefer to watch uhd blurays with the hdr removed? If so why would you want to do that when surely the main selling point of uhd bluray is hdr?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
post #857 of 21383 Old 12-14-2016, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikedit View Post
I don't believe there will be a "substantial improvement" except for the benefit of removing another piece of gear from the chain.

This was the main reason I sold my Panny and Fury 1.5 months ago once it seemed the Oppo would have it built in. Not that I thought I would get "better" PQ in that situation, but because I freaking hate xtra devices in a HDMI chain.

On top of that I get a nice scaler for my Tivo. I can see if you have that combo and it works, not needing to buy the 203.
DavidHir, alebonau and atabea like this.
post #858 of 21383 Old 12-14-2016, 03:54 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2476 Post(s)
Liked: 1785
Quote:
Impressions and pics:

• Only problem so far is Batman V Superman in UHD not being recognized, disc wont play. All other UHD movies I have tried (5) work fine and the discs load very quickly. Problem reported to Oppo.
  • Love the remote back light and how it works
  • As usual, a simple yet very good looking front faceplate. Classy!
  • Came with 1209 FW disc which I installed first
  • Connected to my 5ghz wifi easily
  • Menu's look GREAT
  • The extended info screen while playing a movie is outstanding
  • No red smear found on Star Wars Part 7 Blu-ray, was well documented with Samsung and something I had a problem with
  • A few recent flicks I watched in UHD/HDR that I noticed issues on my display with (mostly how gamma looked and dark scenes) were not that way with HDR stripped mode (Star Trek Beyond, Warcraft and Ind Day Resurgence).
  • TMNT 2, one UHD movie I watched with the Fury and 900, that sold me on that combo, looks just as outstanding on the Oppo with HDR stripped
  • All of the above was dark room viewing on my LG OLED.
  • IMO, running my Tivo Bolt set to 720p/1080i thru the Oppo and it scaling to 4k/60, is obviously more sharp than the Tivo doing 4k/60, and I think it may even be better than the LG doing it
If you insist on posting gobs of large images, PLEASE PLEASE just use the thumbnail function so peopls can make a choice to view them or not. And when someone quotes you they don't also quote all the images. PLEASE.
htwaits, gomo657 and captainbrent like this.
post #859 of 21383 Old 12-14-2016, 03:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Two quick questions

1. Is there a printed manual in the box, or should I print the PDF manual in anticipation?
  2. Has anyone tried passing the 4K signal from a Sony FMP-X10 player through the rear HDMI input? Does it do all the right stuff?
post #860 of 21383 Old 12-14-2016, 03:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
  1. Is there a printed manual in the box, or should I print the PDF manual in anticipation?
  2. Has anyone tried passing the 4K signal from a Sony FMP-X10 player through the rear HDMI input? Does it do all the right stuff?
printed manual yes.

dont bother printing the pdf...its not current it doesn't for instance mention what the strip meta data does for HDR... pdf manual like the printed one is only version 1.0 am sure later versions may follow
bweissman likes this.

post #861 of 21383 Old 12-14-2016, 03:58 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2476 Post(s)
Liked: 1785
Quote:
Impressions and pics:

• Only problem so far is Batman V Superman in UHD not being recognized, disc wont play.
I think that might be one of the 100G TL releases. In any case, when ANY UHD disc has playback issues, wash it thoroughly. It doesn't matter how clean it looks, wash it.
post #862 of 21383 Old 12-14-2016, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Hi,

Yes there is quite a comprehensive manual in the box.
bweissman likes this.
post #863 of 21383 Old 12-14-2016, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
[/LIST] I think that might be one of the 100G TL releases. In any case, when ANY UHD disc has playback issues, wash it thoroughly. It doesn't matter how clean it looks, wash it.

The disc is clean, I mean thanks for assuming I didn't try something so simple before contacting Oppo. Secondly, it plays right now in my Xbox S, which isn't exactly a litmus test for UHD playback devices.

post #864 of 21383 Old 12-14-2016, 04:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggw2000 View Post
My 203 was suppose to be here tomorrow but it is out for delivery today via Fedex .
I have a question as to initial setup?
I believe some people said a Firmware Disc came in the box with unit? I also believe that others have mentioned doing the firmware update via Ethernet?
Would someone that has one please provide the proper way to bring the 203 up and running and get it to the latest firmware...
Thanks in Advance, Gerry
Sure. Mine arrived today. In the box was a CD-R with new firmware. After I set the player up and made sure I had an image on the screen, I popped in the CD and followed the printed instructions that came with the disc. Piece of cake.

Good Viewing,John G  JVC DLA-RS4810 Projector, Vutec 110" (16x9) Bright White Screen, Oppo UDP-203 disc player, Darbee Darblet, Onkyo TX-NR708 Receiver/Processor, Toshiba 1250 NTSC-PAL Region Free BR Player, 7 Paradigm Reference spkrs w Dual Subs,  Adcom & Yamaha Amps
post #865 of 21383 Old 12-14-2016, 04:13 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I am trying to justify buying the 203. I own a 103 and Samsung UBD‑K8500. I subscribe to the hi-fi TIDAL app level. I could sell the 103 and 8500 but I would need another devise to stream TIDAL. Give me three reasons to make the change.
post #866 of 21383 Old 12-14-2016, 04:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quick First Impressions

First, I'm running the 203 into a 1080p projector while waiting for 4K projector prices to come down. That means standard Blu-Ray and media files from an external hard drive.

Set-up was a breeze. Firmware update was simple and took less than 5 minutes total. Network set-up was also fast and painless. Just to make certain everything was working, I popped in a Blu-Ray we watched last night. It loaded quickly, correctly output the DTS-HD track, and on we went. Both the standard Blu-Ray and several movies from the hard drive looked great. I'd say the picture was "better" than what we saw last night (on an Oppo 93).

So far I'm very pleased.

Good Viewing,John G  JVC DLA-RS4810 Projector, Vutec 110" (16x9) Bright White Screen, Oppo UDP-203 disc player, Darbee Darblet, Onkyo TX-NR708 Receiver/Processor, Toshiba 1250 NTSC-PAL Region Free BR Player, 7 Paradigm Reference spkrs w Dual Subs,  Adcom & Yamaha Amps
post #867 of 21383 Old 12-14-2016, 04:30 PM

FYI, tivo bolt owners. I am seeing one issue now, that seems like the Tivos fault. When I go in and set the tivo resolutions at 720p and 1080i, and go from HDMI In to Blu-ray player on the Oppo, and back, the Bolt resets to 4k/60 which the Oppo will only show a black screen. It passes audio though.

If I reconnect the Tivo to the Marantz, it is back to 4k/60, and if I change it back to 720p/1080i, it works fine with the Oppo unless I change Oppo inputs again. Never seen a device change resolutions on its own, once you set a couple.
post #868 of 21383 Old 12-14-2016, 04:32 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 33
203 updating malfunction update

First off thanks so much to folks that responded to my dilemma. Every bit was appreciated! Really appreciated your persistent follow thru Bob, so nice of you.

Apologies for not being specific about the malfunction of the new 203. Basically, I was stuck at the hello prompt. No access to changing inputs. The only thing I could do with remote or directly on the player was power on and off.

I have spent hours just getting the 103D back working with my receiver, cable box, tv, and the OPPO. Very frustrating.

Just have the Samsung UHD to reconnect and given that the awesome tech. support person from OPPO managed to get me two day delivery and I should have the replacement 203 on Friday I think I will just skip hooking the Samsung up.

Our annual holiday party highlights a number of soups and I have responsibility for making two of them, so I hope the 203 install is a piece of cake this time. Now, I just need to manage the choice of selecting a movie for those who stay late. And that is almost as difficult task for the number of folks who will stick around as what I have been doing all day today.

Happy holidays and I wish you folks well.

sTu
post #869 of 21383 Old 12-14-2016, 04:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The disc is clean, I mean thanks for assuming I didn't try something so simple before contacting Oppo. Secondly, it plays right now in my Xbox S, which isn't exactly a litmus test for UHD playback devices.

I tried Batman V Superman in UHD , definitely works on mine. perhaps the oppo is touchy on discs ? more touchy than the x box s ?

I know someone had a problem with BvS uhd on the sammy where locked at a certain point, a problem I didnt have either. could be an individual disc issue.

i hope I dont have a problem with some of the other 25+ discs I've bought and been fine in the sammy only to find the odd one not working in the oppo ?
vsorgi likes this.

post #870 of 21383 Old 12-14-2016, 04:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2750 Post(s)
Liked: 1275
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post
I think I will wait and see what the 205 has hopefully Netflix and VUDU? I sure hope they will include DIRAC as well that would be very nice!

In the mean time the Panasonic DMP- UB900 does a great job
Once the Dolby Vision update is released, it would makes sense to add the Netflix and Vudu apps since they both support Dolby Vision HDR.
Steve_T likes this.

lujan
233 Ultra HD
781 HD
18 HD DVD
4 SD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
203 uhd , blu-ray , Oppo , UDP-203 , uhd

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version