Panasonic DMP-UB900 versus Oppo UDP-203 | UHD Blu-ray players (All) | Comparisons... - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 683Likes

post #1 of 855 Old 01-08-2017, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3556
Cool Panasonic DMP-UB900 versus Oppo UDP-203 | UHD Blu-ray players (All) | Comparisons...

Many people are interested in comparing these two top guns 4K BR players. Many have suggested starting a thread about it.
So here it is; post your screenshots, your measurement results, your audio and video calibration setups, tell us the displays used, the HDMI cables used.

Everything you can think of in comparing the 4K pictures, the upscaling and downscaling pictures, the audio from the analog and digital connections, the 3D BR pictures, the 1080p BR pictures, the best 4K BR transfers compared between these two top-notch players...all here for everyone to post and expose.

Professional video calibrators are most welcome, and other video professionals of the industry of cinematography today in the digital video age of Ultra High Definition picture...4K, HDR10, Dolby Vision, etc. (8K in the near future).

This is it; what many have requested. Meanwhile I'll be doing some research from all over and share my findings by posting some screenshots and links of their origins.

Go ahead, experts and video amateurs...this is the thread you have been waiting for.
And if you want to put other brands of 4K BR players, like from LG, Sony, Samsung, other Panasonic models, Philips, etc.; go ahead, it's all part of it.
This is to help all customers in picking the best UHD picture bar none. And with everything else that it comprises...top audio quality included.
dpippel, muzz, G-Rex and 4 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 855 Old 01-08-2017, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
Many people are interested in comparing these two top guns 4K BR players. Many have suggested starting a thread about it.
So here it is; post your screenshots, your measurement results, your audio and video calibration setups, tell us the displays used, the HDMI cables used.

Everything you can think of in comparing the 4K pictures, the upscaling and downscaling pictures, the audio from the analog and digital connections, the 3D BR pictures, the 1080p BR pictures, the best 4K BR transfers compared between these two top-notch players...all here for everyone to post and expose.

Professional video calibrators are most welcome, and other video professionals of the industry of cinematography today in the digital video age of Ultra High Definition picture...4K, HDR10, Dolby Vision, etc. (8K in the near future).

This is it; what many have requested. Meanwhile I'll be doing some research from all over and share my findings by posting some screenshots and links of their origins.

Go ahead, experts and video amateurs...this is the thread you have been waiting for.
And if you want to put other brands of 4K BR players, like from LG, Sony, Samsung, other Panasonic models, Philips, etc.; go ahead, it's all part of it.
This is to help all customers in picking the best UHD picture bar none. And with everything else that it comprises...top audio quality included.
PQ Panasonic wins hands down, i wasn't expecting this much of differences especially new developed chip Oppo was advertising and my hope was Oppo will win, that was the reason i sold Panasonic right before the Oppo release, but that wasn't the case when i received my Oppo 203. My TV is Sony XBR 75X940C and AVR i use Pioneer Elite SC-91 by the way this receiver handles everything so wonderfully with all those handshakes and HDMI regulations etc.
Again this is based on just PQ and for me that is the most important thing.
Regular BD playback they both not close to what i have old Pioneer BDP-05FD which does a remarkable job on BD discs so i keep second unit for regular BD playbacks and very happy with it.
Other than PQ most likely Oppo wins all rest of it, my Panasonic can't read many video files in my computer via DLNA and Oppo was handling it nicely, Panasonic has streaming but most of the time it's skittish and no HDR on Netflix and Amazon yet (they said FW coming soon and when they say soon that's like forever not like Oppo), customer service Oppo wins hands down. DV i know is very important but for me not a factor in near future because after spending big $$ on a TV few years back and doesn't support DV i'm not going to replace it soon. This is the thing lately we all facing that companies putting things out there slow by slow giving little bit of this and not that and we all end up with units that was on top last year but now is no good, i won't play in to their hands here and let them win.
I would love to see some unbiased pro reviews and numbers between these two sets just for PQ, lately i see reviews and high rated units based on what can do or more to offer than pure PQ bases.

Last edited by Salacak; 01-08-2017 at 11:33 AM.
post #3 of 855 Old 01-08-2017, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

That's what many people said; the Panasonic DMP-UB900 4K player looks much sharper and clear, like a thru vision on the open world's window of real true high definition moving imagery.

Just wait till I start providing links and screenshots...plus comments from several owners of both.
I don't participate in the Oppo 203 owner's thread because I don't own that player, but I have read every single post since the thread's creation on December 12, 2016. ...And many more threads here and @ other audio/video sites. I even have my own ...

Why? Because I'm a big Oppo guy; it's my favorite company. But I also have zero bias when it comes to the best...in sound and picture. Tell it exactly like it is; like we see and hear...as a true aficionado, a true cinemaphile, a true audiophile. ...No walls in front or behind. Zero, nada bias/agenda/financial goal; only the very best looking picture and hearing sweet music.
It don't matter if it's Duracell, Energizer, Mallory, Sony, LG, Oppo, Panasonic; not one bit of matter where it's made...China, Philippines, Vietnam, Thailand, Singapore, Canada, USA, UK, ...

I highly respect all people's opinion and from all venues. I'm a student who wants to learn the best there is in the world of picture and sound entertainment. And I don't feel alone @ all. I'm searching for the best video teachers, the best audio teachers...

Last edited by NorthSky; 01-08-2017 at 11:47 AM.

post #4 of 855 Old 01-08-2017, 12:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked: 507
Good, glad you started this.
Thanks

Why waste $ on more cheap stuff, it's like challenging a dragon with a pocket knife.
post #5 of 855 Old 01-08-2017, 02:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 72
I wonder if the Panny is employing some kind of enhancement similar to LG Oled settings called Super Resolution. You have the option to turn it low, medium or high........it sharpens blurry or unclear areas for a sharper image.

OPPO's image is already sharp but turning this on when up close you can see the difference it makes on blurry spots.
muzz likes this.

LG OLED 55E6P & OPPO 203
Energy RC Mini 5.1, Denon, HSU Sub
Xbox One S & PS4 Pro
Streaming 30+ Dolby Vision Movies
post #6 of 855 Old 01-08-2017, 04:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I posted this in the UB900 owners thread a few days ago. TLDR - The Oppo is going to have the better feature set in the long run, but IMO the Panny is the best disc player right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cachest View Post
I'll offer some thoughts on the UB900 vs Oppo 203 -

I've had the Panny for a few months. I got the Oppo in right before Christmas. IMO, they both have advantages and disadvantages. (Note: Keep in mind that my thoughts are based on current fw. Oppo is certainly going to keep cranking out updates, and I'm hoping we'll see some more from Panasonic as well.) - For those curious, I tested both on my LG EF9500 OLED.

Oppo 203:
- Same solid, clean design you are used to from them. I've got a 103, and the two are very similar from a size & look perspective.
- Great picture from both UHD and Bluray
- Load times are good, but I find the drive noisy when I'm watching UHD discs.
- Home screen + setup options are nicely done
- DLNA client is stellar (has played everything I've thrown at it). IMO, this is the biggest positive diff vs the UB900. The Panasonic's DLNA client just flat out stinks compared to the Oppo.
- There were a lot more issues right out of the gate than I was expecting. Out of ~10 UHD titles I've watched, I had some occasional stuttering and had outright freezes on 3. Consensus seems to be that the latest beta fw fixes most of these issues, but my sample size isn't big enough to say for sure. There are a number of other things documented in the owner's thread if you are curious.
- HDMI input for upscaling an external source
- No built in streaming apps (should be pretty much known by everyone that's done even the smallest amount of reading on the 203, but I'm mentioning it anyway)

Panasonic UB900:
- IMO, build quality is right there with the Oppo. It's a really nice looking player, solid, well-built, etc. Much much nicer than what you usually see from the big brands.
- Great picture from both UHD and Bluray
- Disc load times are good
- DLNA client needs work IMO. For example, it doesn't support VC1 inside a mkv container, so I can't stream most of my HD-DVD rips. I see others reporting issues with other formats as well, so I think it's safe to say this is not anywhere near as polished as the Oppo implementation.
- Noticeably less noisy than my 203. (could just be my Oppo...some others in the 203 owners thread think it's on the loud side...some don't)
- Supports Netflix and Amazon streaming (no Vudu) but no HDR from those sources (at least it doesn't work for me). If they don't improve this, you'll probably want a Roku anyway.
- Significantly smaller in size vs the Oppo

At this point, if you've already got a UB900 I don't see a reason to upgrade unless you really need the better DLNA client. They are still working out some issues with the Oppo, so I'd just hold off for now. If you are in the market for your first player, both are very solid. The Oppo is going to have better feature support long-term (should be upgraded to support DV at some point). IMO, the UB900 is the better disc player right now (although it's also more expensive).
Elevatorteck likes this.
post #7 of 855 Old 01-08-2017, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzz View Post
Good, glad you started this.
Thanks
We both know, and many others too, the number of times (many) that members requested this thread in the Oppo 203's owners thread with the extra helpful Mr. Bob Pariseau, from Pariseau's team @ Anthem.
Official OPPO UDP-203 Owner's Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by airborn007 View Post
I wonder if the Panny is employing some kind of enhancement similar to LG Oled settings called Super Resolution. You have the option to turn it low, medium or high........it sharpens blurry or unclear areas for a sharper image.

OPPO's image is already sharp but turning this on when up close you can see the difference it makes on blurry spots.
Technologies from the Panasonic Hollywood Laboratory, the foundation of Blu-ray Disc Research & Development, are applied to Panasonic‘s original 4K High-Precision Chroma Processor. 4K image color signals (4:2:0) are interpolated into 4K (4:4:4) by a multi-tap chroma process for natural textures and depth.

It is THX certified with a battery of tests performed and with a passing grade.

It's all in the eyes and ears of its owners with their displays and sound systems.

Quote:
I posted this in the UB900 owners thread a few days ago. TLDR - The Oppo is going to have the better feature set in the long run, but IMO the Panny is the best disc player right now.
The Oppo 203 is Dolby Vision Ready, through a future firmware update. ...Later on, perhaps this Spring...maybe in March.
Also, my guess, in approximately twelve months or so, (end of 2017, beginning of 2018), we might see a 203D (the UHD Darbee version).

But! By then the Panasonic 900 could release its second generation, also with Dolby Vision, etc. ...Best to stay tuned.
Panasonic DMP-UB900 thread.

----------------

Now I'm going to add this on a personal note: Say I want to give my Mom a present for her birthday (January 18).
Which 4K BR player do you think I would give her? She likes a good picture and simplicity of life, meaning she's not into wondering around how to get a picture and sound from her TV.
She wants me to install her audio/video stuff, and program her universal remote (Play a Movie), and I'm not around after that.
It's the same with an iPad. I can set her up, with Face Time, etc., and I'm gone after; she's on her own with Bob (boyfriend without audio/video/computer electronic experience). Mom lives several hundred miles from me...millions. In ten days it's her birthday, not in ten months.
Scott 44 likes this.
post #8 of 855 Old 01-08-2017, 06:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I keep hearing this "Sound" stuff.
It's Bitstream.
dpippel, rossi46, dwaleke and 2 others like this.

Why waste $ on more cheap stuff, it's like challenging a dragon with a pocket knife.
post #9 of 855 Old 01-08-2017, 06:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Yes but the 1s and 0s are certified to be even more immersive with smooth airy highs, rich warm mids, and chest thumping body throbbing mind melting bass.

*Requires ultra sweet Peachy HDMI cables that are extremely danceable to achieve such audio nirvana from ones audio tracks; be it music or movies.
RobertR, muzz, rossi46 and 3 others like this.

Politics is like a corral, no matter where you are you'll always be shoveling it.
post #10 of 855 Old 01-08-2017, 07:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMFDMvsEnya View Post
Yes but the 1s and 0s are certified to be even more immersive with smooth airy highs, rich warm mids, and chest thumping body throbbing mind melting bass.

*Requires ultra sweet Peachy HDMI cables that are extremely danceable to achieve such audio nirvana from ones audio tracks; be it music or movies.
Hahaha!
Thanks
dbturbo2 likes this.

post #11 of 855 Old 01-09-2017, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzz View Post
I keep hearing this "Sound" stuff.
It's Bitstream.
Not necessarily as both these players have analog audio outputs. I agree that most people don't use them, but I wouldn't completely discount a 'sound' post until they confirm they are bitstreaming via HDMI.
post #12 of 855 Old 01-09-2017, 12:05 PM

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post

Reading about your comments makes me want to order the Panasonic but im dreading adding hdfury to the chain i have too much stuff back there plus its more money and i wouldn't know how to hook it up... Are your comments based viewing the players on a projector or a tv.. I have the rs400 wondering if i would see the difference on a projector.. thank you..
post #13 of 855 Old 01-09-2017, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

I don't own any UHD BR player, and neither a UHD TV and front projector. I started this thread so that I can learn.
I want it all but I need to know first.

I have no bias. I just want to know what works best with what. ...4K BR player mated with 4K OLED TV or 4K front projector. Which brand's the best with which brand.
And the value of course (best value...money). Performance would be number one priority (visual and auditory), for 4K material splendor.
Reliability would be right there too, besides performance. ...Support and value. I have zero bias, I just want the best.

It's not so simple because everyone have different gear and different cables (HDMI). And very true in particular with front projectors, because it varies a lot from one model to the next and also from their price bracket (nits, lumens, light bulb intensity, all that jazz), plus the screen's size (the larger more light required).

Nobody has checked them all in combination with this or this. I can quote few comments by owners in their own particular cases, who compared them those various UHD BR players.
The 900 came ahead most of the time for a sharper and clearer picture. ...Above Microsoft, Philips, Samsung, and Oppo.
There are screenshots too (even on youtube). Some people love screenshots, others hate them with a deep passion.

Thing is this: People's eyes don't lie. Same for their ears. We take the average of all reviews and comments and we assess the situation effectively.
_____

Now that this thread is started, it's an opening to people who have compared them players together with their displays.
Again, I'm here to learn from them. Nobody wanted to start this thread, but everybody wanted to see one. Now there's one.

It's a no bias thread, there is nothing to gain except the best picture and sound right now.
We're all adults and free to make our choice on the best and the best when we request.
_____

Stay tuned because people who have compared them are just about to contribute here.
They don't know yet of this thread's existence; my contribution is to make them aware, and learn from them.
I'd rather they tell their own stories than me quoting some snapshots and providing links with screenshots of their findings.
I could do that too, but I prefer they share on their own. It'll come...be patient.

I have zero bias, and neither anyone else. I am certain of that. Everyone just want the best player, the best TV, the best PJ, the best HDMI cable, the best movie experience, visually and auditory and emotionally...Hollywood La La Land grand style.

Last edited by NorthSky; 01-09-2017 at 04:16 PM. Reason: typo
post #14 of 855 Old 01-09-2017, 04:49 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm very much interested in this as I'd like to learn more about image/colour space in more detail. I currently have the UB900 hooked up to my Sony 49XBR830C tv. It's not a hdr tv so I needed a good conversion to BT709.
post #15 of 855 Old 01-09-2017, 05:01 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3317 Post(s)
Liked: 2587
Quote:
Originally Posted by 51dueller View Post
I'm very much interested in this as I'd like to learn more about image/colour space in more detail. I currently have the UB900 hooked up to my Sony 49XBR830C tv. It's not a hdr tv so I needed a good conversion to BT709.
We have a section in the OPPO FAQ: Theory and Practice. Much of it is not OPPO-specific.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #16 of 855 Old 01-09-2017, 05:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Not necessarily as both these players have analog audio outputs. I agree that most people don't use them, but I wouldn't completely discount a 'sound' post until they confirm they are bitstreaming via HDMI.
Obviously, but most of the stuff I see is, "PQ Is better, but the improvement in sound is awesome"..and they are bitstreaming...I see this and stuff along those lines on here and elsewhere more than I can believe.
I'm sure you have as well.

I would not question analog differences, it's a completely different animal.
dpippel, KMFDMvsEnya and jude924 like this.

post #17 of 855 Old 01-09-2017, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

post #18 of 855 Old 01-09-2017, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

• One owner's comment (December 24, 2016):

"i went out and bought the oppo 203 today to compare with my UB900 and this is what i think after spending all night doing comparisons on my B 65 4k OLED.

the UB900 is better in nearly every way for picture quality. the oppo is soft in comparison. i watched around 10 UHD discs and 5 blu rays. taking revenant as an example which is a super super sharp UHD disc, it just looked softer on the oppo. less dynamic.

one thing that the oppo is better in is motion. everything seems smoother on the oppo for sure

the ub900 upscaling on blu rays is much better as well. the picture just looks more dynamic, alot sharper and more punch.
HDR looks better on the UB900 as well. it just looks like it pops more.

yes the build quality on the oppo is absolutley incredible but i just cant ignore the picture quality differences. i was already happy with my UB900 but the hype got to me and i had to find out for myself!

also there are so many problems with the oppo. this is what i have found so far.

takes way too long to load some discs
very noisy when loading discs, UB900 is totally silent ALL the time
menus in certain 4k discs dont work. lucy, i cant select region and cant see the main menu. have to press enter to start it up
random slow motion which lasts around 3 seconds then goes back to normal
occasionally when powering up, it does nothing. have to pull plug out of wall to fix it.
sharpness control on the oppo doesnt work at all. turn it up to max and nothing happens lol

im sure with updates they will improve it but right now its a mess! shouldnt of rushed it to market so soon!"
- DJJez

------------

• Another comment from another owner (December 24, 2016):

"I have an oled also and both players (900 and 203) , the oppo 203 colors and blacks were much better even out of the box, and you have much more adjustments you can perform with the 203 , the 4 hdr modes are awsome the panasonic doesn't even have that , and can't wait until oppo statrs dolby vision i am throwing the plastic panasonic in the garbage can wre it belongs.

HDR - I have gotten my oppo 203 today, and i got got the panasonic ub900 and the 203 blows it out of the water on my oled , Don't believe the hype that the panasonic is better , you can make much more adjustment on the 203 than panasonic , some movies dont do a good job with HDR and some movies do, movies like deadpool, batman vs superman does a fantastic job in HDR , movies like mad max are horrible with HDR , but with the 203 that has 4 HDR modes i was able to make mad max look fantastic on my Lg oled , were is the panasonic ub900 you can't do that , the 203 is only 4k bluray player in the world that lets you adjust HDR , because some people aren't fans of HDR but with oppo they will be , because of oppo meeting with Disney , and Disney seeeing a real UHD 4k bluray Player perform and on the market we will soon get UHD 4k bluray movies from Disney. .If you get 203 make your adjustments you will have tons of options to even get even better performance out it , right out of the box it was putting out much better picture quality than my plastic metal panasonic .Believe me professionals who reviewed both agrree with me cant believe i spent more for the panasonic."
- moviemike4

And (12-24-2016):

"For starters the panasonic does do audio very well but the 203 does it much better , audiophile people like mysellf this is important , the Oppo plays SACD and DVD Audio disc the panasonic does not. And if you an apple person , the 203 will play muti channel DSD files and many more other audio files , including ,Ape, Apple lossless , and Flac , The 203 loads faster than the panasonic also. The 203 handled all ultra hd disc i threw at it , BD, CD , DVD . Had my cousin come over who also bought the panasonic also . The 203 lets you tweak the HDR settings , there is a HDR button 4 different modes and all looked incredible , we both were blown away , the panasonic can not do this the oppo is the only 4k bluray player in the world that lets you do this , speaking off which if love twiddling settings , you will be happy you can do more with the oppo than the panasonic . We mess around with the settings for about 30 minutes , we came to the conclusion that the defaults and automatic settings still showed better picture quality than the panasonic . But if tweaking is your thing you find plenty in the 203. So my cousin brought over some of his video files and had mine including most 60- frames -Per second 10 bit HDR types , jaw dropping quality the oppo put out which again another feature the panasonic can not do the oppo will support up to 16t drive the panasonic can not do, so we can't to get a hold of some dolby vision files , the panasonic can't handle dolby vision then there will be no comparison . I talked to oppo and the rep said once dolby vision comes to the 203 it will have eve more HDR modes Dolby vision differs from HDR 10 in rather than one adjustment at the beginning of the movie , it can adjust TV settings on the fly for each scene . This allows for much Greater refinement in handling of light and dark scenes in within the same movie . Dolby vision also suppots 12 -Bit color depth while you are limited to 10 bit on a panasonic ub900 or TV with 10 bit HDR . The 203 supprting dolby vision puts it one up on its competitors , none of which can be up graded to support it . Dolby vision will start showing up UHD blu rays soon . HDR is great but dolby vision is better , especially over the course of the movie thanks to its scene -by scene optimization so for those of us who bought the 203 are in for a treat , i have th Lg signature model number 65G6 P." - moviemike4

------------

Bonus: http://www.mesalliance.org/2016/12/2...lu-ray-player/

P.S. I did not edit/fix the typos and orthography and punctuation etc.; all is intact/raw as it was.

Last edited by NorthSky; 01-09-2017 at 06:40 PM.
post #19 of 855 Old 01-09-2017, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

Picture by DJJez:

post #20 of 855 Old 01-09-2017, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

• Another comment (12-25-2016):

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcs913
"Quick question for anyone using the 203 with 2 outputs. Do you have any sync issues with the audio out to a non-4K receiver? Curious to see if any adjustments need to be made."
"No issues. I have the video connected directly to a LG G6 OLED & the audio going to a Pioneer Elite receiver.

No sync issues at all. PQ is incredible. A lot better than the Samsung 4k player.

There is an issue with the HDMI input on the back of the player. When I run an Apple TV thru it for streaming the audio & video are out of sync. Oppo is aware & is working on it. The Apple TV upscaled to 4k is great PQ so I hope they fix it soon."
- marine92104

------------

• Another one (01-08-2017):

"I finally got around to comparing this (Oppo 203) to the Samsung and Xbox One S and it does have a sharper picture. I thought the difference was significant. For example in Oblivion (at 5:11) with the lady in the control tower, in the Oppo you can clearly see a cloud that's barely visible in the Samsung (it's invisible on the DVD). Also comparing X-Men: DOFP (I have two copies of the UHD), the Oppo has a much sharper and vibrant image. To get the Samsung on equal footing in terms of vibrancy, I had to bump it up to "enhanced" mode on the player, but that made the detail levels slightly worse.

So far I'm very impressed!"
- bruceames

Last edited by NorthSky; 01-09-2017 at 06:59 PM.
post #21 of 855 Old 01-09-2017, 07:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Thanks Bob. Subscribed. I also interested to see how much difference between oppo and Samsung . I'd like someone can post picture comparison instead of saying like oppo is much better etc. one picture means everything .
post #22 of 855 Old 01-09-2017, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roudan View Post
Thanks Bob. Subscribed. I also interested to see how much difference between oppo and Samsung . I'd like someone can post picture comparison instead of saying like oppo is much better etc. one picture means everything .
The last comment above, by Bruce, mentioned the Samsung and Microsoft UHD BR players in comparison to the Oppo 203.

* You would like to see some screenshots comparison? That's tricky because the sources and the displays (ours) are all over the place.
That's only one of the reasons many experts don't rely on screenshots. It would have to be perfect, in person, all 4K players calibrated, same 4k OLED TVs, like @ Robert Zohn's own store when they have their annual showdowns.

I know what you mean; we have to rely 100% on what other's set of eyes are seeing. I trust people; they are not biased.
We're only @ the beginning of 4K. Dolby Vision is not even here yet. I'm not there myself; but I sure am aiming in that direction.
What choice do I have; none LG 4K OLED TVs in 2017 carry 3D. And Dolby Atmos is mainly found on 4K Blu-rays. They don't even bother to put 3D immersive sound with 3D immersive picture on our Blu-rays! That's simply incredible!

Speaking of 3D; I'm not dead just yet...I have a sizable 3D collection on Blu, so I still need a player that can perform 3D in spades.
Right now the Oppo 103 is doing that. My Sonys too, and my Samsung. But the end is near; the proof...right here...with Dolby Vision and HDR from 4K Blu-ray flicks and documentaries...a la Samsara, Baraka, Pina, The Art of Flight, Brave (PIXAR), etc. ...Time to get reborn again...in 4K, 8K, 16K ...
Roudan likes this.

Last edited by NorthSky; 01-09-2017 at 07:44 PM.
post #23 of 855 Old 01-09-2017, 08:28 PM

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Hard to take impressions seriously when they are extreme variety like "this blows it out of the water!!!! Omg!!"

I will wait until I see actual tests and measurements etc.
WOLVERNOLE likes this.
post #24 of 855 Old 01-09-2017, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbz06 View Post
Hard to take impressions seriously when they are extreme variety like "this blows it out of the water!!!! Omg!!"

I will wait until I see actual tests and measurements etc.
Like from this place, when everything is ready (DV) → http://hometheaterhifi.com/news/prod...layer-preview/
_______

I take all the comments so far seriously. All the UHD BR players, including the Panasonic 900 and Oppo 203, have their own dedicated threads (the Oppo 203 has three on its own), with owners having more than just one player. We can form a reasonable assessment so far from all the average comments on the things that are important for each one of us (me it's the UHD picture quality from 4K Blu-rays and their sound quality too from the best connection, HDMI) . I'm talking reality today here, not tomorrow because we ain't there yet. It's still a work in progress; we'll talk future when we get there...
_______

I created this thread so that no one is afraid of saying what he wants to say about this player or that one, performance wise, and other qualities. In the dedicated threads you can feel sometimes the waves going over you...way of speech. No one wants to be afraid today.
If you are into build quality, then the Oppo 203 walks all over the rest; it's the number one player here.
If you are into Universal like SACDs and DVD-Audio discs on five-inch shiny saucers, it's the Oppo 203 again, the superior emperor.

If you're talking UHD picture; then I'm not so sure, but I do read a lot. And the Panny 900 keeps coming back often, with attributes like "sharpness" and "clarity".

If you're talking sound quality from the same connection; ahhhh but there is not supposed to be any difference from the HDMI connection, right?
A very good way to find out with more assertiveness would be from measurements performed like say by Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity.
But even the measurements are not the final ultimate absolution; our ears are. Lol, it's true.

If you're talking putting a 4K Blu-ray disc in the disc tray and press play, and get the right picture and sound without interruptions...it depends.
But! In general, the Panasonic 900 is mentioned more often as being less trouble-free.

If you're talking apps, then I don't need to mention what it is; the Oppo 203 has none right now. Me personally, I don't give a rat's tail. But some people do, and I respect that.

If you're talking DVD upscaling (me with over 5,000 I never play them anymore...DVD is history to me, period), I just don't know which or which is it.

If you're talking analog sound, that too I'm out, not in a roughly half grand player. So the DACs to me they simply mean zip.

If you're talking customer service, support, firmware updates with fixes in a regular fashion; the Oppo players are unbeatable.
Panasonic customer service, my experience, is not up to it; unfavorable.
Samsung is no better.
Sony is no better.
LG, Philips and Microsoft, I just don't know.

If you're talking ... the future, we can all dream on, extrapolate, have fun, celebrate blowin' in the wind. Till we get there our feet are here right now, and our brain above.

I have no bias, even when I know that the Oppo 203 is a much more complete player in several aspects of its superb design.
There is a phrase that sometimes keeps coming back: "I want it to succeed." Well, me too, and this thread can help, 100%.
It's more challenging this time around, even after couple years or so with 4K Blu-rays. And HDMI after 15 years is still a nightmare for many...
Just when you thought you had it right came along another superior format with new superior problems.

Hollywood is making much more money @ the box office; just look @ Disney in 2016.

Last edited by NorthSky; 01-09-2017 at 09:42 PM.
post #25 of 855 Old 01-09-2017, 10:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 4435 Post(s)
Liked: 3057
I have the LG 65E6, the OPPO 203 and the Panasonic 900. When it comes to upscaling SDR blu ray to 4K, there is absolutely no difference between the 203 and 900. However, I also have the 103D, and prefer that over the 203 and 900 and letting my E6 upscale, because the Darbee effect makes SDR blu ray so much better. Not even close, IMO. When it comes to UHD, I prefer the 203. IMO, it produces a better picture on OLED. I can set the OPPO to 4:4:4 12 bit and have no banding like the Panny does. Sure, I can turn off deep color on the Panny to reduce it, but why should I have to, when it's not required on the OPPO?. I can not tell any difference on which one is "sharper". From 9 feet away from the tv, they look the same. The big selling point is DV HDR, which my E6 can do. The Panny is out in the cold when it comes to that. Am I going to get rid of the panny? No, it's now attached to my 9500, which can not do DV. There is a difference when it comes to sync settings on my AVR. Both setup the same, 4:4:4 12 bit, LPCM, same settings on tv, and the audio sync I have to set my avr with the Panny is 230 ms. The OPPO only requires 70 ms. That's with audio out going directly from player to avr for both, and video going directly to tv.
Why there is such a huge difference, I have no clue.

Both players are good players. Set up properly, they will produce an excellent picture.

LG 65E6P FW 05.30.02
LG 65EF9500

Last edited by wxman; 01-09-2017 at 10:24 PM.
post #26 of 855 Old 01-09-2017, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter

Good post ↑
post #27 of 855 Old 01-10-2017, 02:08 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Below is a copy from a thread i posted on SNA here in Australia....

As some may have seen in the Oppo thread i purchased the 203 to use with my JVC X7000 projector.
Previously i was using the Pioneer BDP LX88 the last of Pioneers high end upscaling BlyRay players.

I had great enthusiasm for the Oppo, it would enable me to finally use the 4K UHD dic,s i have been collecting ...around 40 titles now.
The Oppo turned out to be a great disappointment in several area,s.
The first was the failed implementation of the "Strip MetaData" feature that many projector owners were waiting for. The Oppo also has a few "Quirks" when it comes to playback, but is still usable once you are a where of them.
The biggest failing for me was when i did comaprisons against the LX88 and its upscaled blurays, much to my amazement the images form the Oppo ARE lacking in clarity and sharpness. This just shouldnt be the case...Native 4k should wipe the flloor with upscaled Bluray! I also was not happy with the colour reproduction on the Oppo.

I decide to purchase the Panasonic UB900 UHD player.
I have had the UB900 for 3 days now and put quite a few hours comparisons to the Oppo.

The Panasonic is a "Dainty" little thing when compared to the Oppo in size, BUT the performance of the UB900 is huge!
When compared to the Oppo with the X7000 , the UB900 is far far superior to the Oppo!!

The first thing apparent is the absolute "crispness" and "detail" in the UHD HDR image...it destroys the Oppo image ! This is without any further enhancement of the picture using the brilliant processing options available on the UB900.
The second thing is COLOUR.... the UB900 has gorgeous rich colours , but they look a hell of alot more natural than the Oppo. The UB900 colours have more depth, and give the image a more 3D look.

The images i NOW get from UHD HDR are very impressive.... far far better than the Oppo and certainly better than the images from the LX88 and upscaled blurays....

Now i really do see the benefit in 4K and HDR....:thumb:

If you are contemplating either the UB900 or the Oppo 203.......i strongly recommend the UB900 over the Oppo.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0443w.thumb.jpg.f9bfb5d8afbfb65e5e5a532a77dfe88b.jpg
Views:	2030
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	1886113   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0442w.thumb.jpg.942aa62ce292fb0071a9255a0849fd8e.jpg
Views:	1901
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	1886121   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0445w.thumb.jpg.b7c9c6c30386e61c10a54620de02658e.jpg
Views:	1821
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	1886129   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0446w.thumb.jpg.b041e30dbc69efce890eb658b935c92c.jpg
Views:	1805
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	1886137  
Bladerunner1959 and Slonopot like this.
post #28 of 855 Old 01-10-2017, 03:24 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Hello,
I'm very interested in this comparison as I own the 900 but would like to swap it for 203 for the file streaming capabilities as the Panny won't play a lot of stuff.

It looked like like a clear path to me but now I read about the Panny being much better in PQ and vice versa so I'm very confused. It looks to me based on the above comments that that the display device may play an important role in deciding which one is better.

Can someone please post some screenshots?

Thanks.
post #29 of 855 Old 01-10-2017, 04:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 140
I own both, started with the Panny while waiting for the 203. We all now know that the 203 has some functional issues that are being addressed by Oppo. Not sure what they can achieve, regarding improving the PQ of the 203, but even after adjusting all the settings it was easy to select the Panny as having the better PQ. Night and day better, no, not IMO, but better overall to my eyes. Given Oppo's history with players, I was expecting the opposite.

If you are buying a UHD player for it's features and support, then the Oppo is the better choice IMO. If you are buying a UHD for the PQ, then I currently give the nod to the Panny. To be clear, you should not be disappointed with either player, and both will likely improve over time.

Jim
Salacak likes this.
post #30 of 855 Old 01-10-2017, 05:27 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Thanks Jim for the reply.

I wanted to swap because of the said issues with files, but PQ from UHD disks is a priority to me. I can always buy another device (media player, Dune or Zappiti) just for the files.

Here in Europe the Oppo is also 250/300 $ more expensive than the Panny!...so there goes you media player.....

I was hoping for a one does all box.....but it's never this way anyway unless you compromise.....

Regarding the PQ what display device do you have connected and If I understood you have played around with the Oppo picture settings to try to match the Panny to no success. How would you rate the Oppo PQ give the Panny a 10?
Are the Panny picture settings (sharpness etc.) std or customized?
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
blu ray , playback , uhd

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page