Audio only but no video on bluray player - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-22-2017, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Audio only but no video on bluray player

I bought a new Umax85 TV and Yamaha 1060 aventage receiver. I hooked everything up and I can't seem to get the HDMI1 to recognize the bluray player. The bluray is an old Sony 1080P player.

When I select the HDMI1 input, the Sony bluray player home screen pops up on the screen for maybe 2 seconds, and then right after the TV says NO SIGNAL. I do get audio though. I can't figure it out.

Can someone make a recommendation to try? All the other HDMI inputs work except for the bluray. Since I can briefly see the Sony bluray homescreen for a couple seconds before it says no signal, it seems like something is preventing it from connecting.

Please advise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-22-2017, 09:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked: 791
Quote:
Originally Posted by erlo View Post
I bought a new Umax85 TV and Yamaha 1060 aventage receiver. I hooked everything up and I can't seem to get the HDMI1 to recognize the bluray player. The bluray is an old Sony 1080P player.

When I select the HDMI1 input, the Sony bluray player home screen pops up on the screen for maybe 2 seconds, and then right after the TV says NO SIGNAL. I do get audio though. I can't figure it out.

Can someone make a recommendation to try? All the other HDMI inputs work except for the bluray. Since I can briefly see the Sony bluray homescreen for a couple seconds before it says no signal, it seems like something is preventing it from connecting.
Welcome to HDMI...or should I say HDCP.
Your "old" BD player and "new" TV are undoubtedly different version of HDMI/HDCP, resulting in no audio or video. Check to see if you have "Deep Color" (or whatever your TV calls it) on the TV port and turn it off. Since you don't have UHD, it shouldn't prevent you from playing anything else.

Yamaha RX-A2050 AVR (5.0.2)
(4) Polk Monitor 10B's (R/L F/R), (2) Polk Monitor 4's (TM), Polk CS300 center channel
Analog: B&O TX2 Turntable, Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
Digital: Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD, Panasonic DMP-UB900 UHD Blu-Ray
LG 65EF9500 4K OLED
post #3 of 5 Old 04-22-2017, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks for the reply. I had a feeling that old and new components might possibly have issues. I'll just pony up for a new 4k bluray player. Really want the Panasonic 900 but holding off since the Umax85 has dolbyvision....don't want the oppo due to issues stated on the forums....

post #4 of 5 Old 04-22-2017, 11:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1412 Post(s)
Liked: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanton View Post
Welcome to HDMI...or should I say HDCP.
Your "old" BD player and "new" TV are undoubtedly different version of HDMI/HDCP, resulting in no audio or video. Check to see if you have "Deep Color" (or whatever your TV calls it) on the TV port and turn it off. Since you don't have UHD, it shouldn't prevent you from playing anything else.
Note that HDCP is backwards compatible, so old HDCP plus a new TV should never be an issue, where new HDCP and an old TV certainly can be.

So for example, you should have no problem connecting a first generation Sony BDP-S1 to your new 4K TV.

But connecting a new UHD player to an HDTV with an early version of HDCP may indeed cause issues.

In your configuration I'd be more inclined to check for an HDCP handshake issue with the AV receiver being in between the player and the TV.

Do you get a picture if you connect the Blu-ray player directly to the TV? Does the receiver have on-screen graphics that properly display on your TV?
post #5 of 5 Old 04-23-2017, 04:59 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Liked: 1288
Please use the thread for the model of your player. or the Help me choose if you are looking for a new player.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Oppo UDP-203 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page