Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #241 of 255 Old 10-02-2005, 11:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 755 Post(s)
Liked: 434
Anthony, let's say Rick is a total HD DVD promoter. But you have to consider that he is also credited with single-handedly making the original DVD format work in a manufacuring plant. Such a person would be very valuable to have around regardless of current bias on way or the other. I for one, would love to debate somone from BD who knows what they are talking about.

Look at his posts when for the first time, we saw the tolerances for BD and HD DVD. We debated this over the summer and no one had the right answer.

As you see, Rick is no where to be found anymore. I hope he comes back but I would not be suprirsed if he doesn't. How many other forums do you think he participated in beside this one? None I am sure. He valued us but some of us didn't value him....

The above is why I defended him.

Amir

Amir
Founder,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Insist on Quality Engineering"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 255 Old 10-03-2005, 12:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyP
I know, but did you read his paper, I still can't believe Amir was defending it. That thing was spammed all over the internet and everywhere it was posted people just laughed at it.
If you'll remember correctly, I was the first person to comment on it in this thread. Your statement still doesn't help us convince Amir to get someone with more information to post here.
post #243 of 255 Old 10-03-2005, 12:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
he posted his article on several forums (some of the others linked to them), also can you be 100% sure the person who wrote that article and the real Rick that used to work for TW are the same people? it is the internet this guy created an account here called himself rickmarquardt and posted the article, that is all I know on him and the article was not worth reading. All the replicators we know so far have built new HD-DVD lines and Cinram gave us an idea of what those lines cost them thanks to a link to their quarterly report. His whole report indicating that BR would need a much more expensive infrastructure was based on the bad assumption that replicators would go with the 200k upgrade and so BR was 10x more expensive. Let's face it if an idiot like me that does not work in the field knows that replicators are going with new lines then a professional analyst who is serious should see that as well. If one of the consultants I was working with showed me such shoddy work I would kick them out on the spot and never use the firm again.

He even admitted when asked
Quote:
If one needed to buy new HD DVD lines, versus upgrading an existing DVD line for $150,00, the price of new to new would be about the same. If spin coating the 0.1 mm cover layer and a hard coat process worked, this new line may be less then a new HD DVD line.
but added
Quote:
The issue is that there is presently an overcapacity of DVD manufacturing so there should not be a high demand for new HD DVD equipment with the conversion of DVD lines.
even if true his analysis assumed all lines were refurbish, not to mention that it is obvious that replicators see it differently. Not to mention the fact that at least according to what Alex told us from CED there is a big difference in manufacturing costs of disks produced on refurbs compared to new, big enough to make the refurbs not viable (maybe one of the reason they are going with new lines over refurbished
post #244 of 255 Old 10-03-2005, 12:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
If you'll remember correctly, I was the first person to comment on it in this thread.
can't remember, way to much posting and reading to remember who was first on what.

Quote:
Your statement still doesn't help us convince Amir to get someone with more information to post here.
I think (and hope) that Amir realizes that I won't go out of my way to bash the guy, but I am not a liar and if someone asks if I ill accept anything posted without a word I must be honest and say I can't promise that. I won't attack a person for no reason but if I smell BS I am also not scared to speak my opinion. I also don't consider it negative to question a person (like you and Amir did on where my numbers came from) to get to the bottom of things.
post #245 of 255 Old 10-03-2005, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I don't know if the concerns expressed in that paper are real or not. If an expert on Blu-ray can explain that there is nothing to be concerned about regarding cost effective and reliable disc manufacturing, then the paper is just BS. It seems to me to be a point of view from someone with some real knowledge. What the motivations are for writing and making it available here is of no concern to me, whether or not the issues are real is of concern. If it is all a ruse to bolster interest in HD-DVD, then that will become apparent soon enough.

Chris
post #246 of 255 Old 10-06-2005, 11:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm
Anthony, let's say Rick is a total HD DVD promoter
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmarquardt
Palladin,
I have no financial gain for whoever wins. I have left Deluxe just recently and have taken a job with a new technology start-up company working on anti-theft models. I have some short term consulting deals to carry me over.

Rick
Well, you never mentioned the office of Lieberfarb & Associates :)

EDIT: The expert of the optical disk talks, " HD DVD support " babelfish version (translates all text)
post #247 of 255 Old 10-07-2005, 12:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm
I for one, would love to debate somone from BD who knows what they are talking about.
That I agree with. It's been like a Democrat who had a malfunctioning TV with the channel selector stuck on Fox News. :p

Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows.
-George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four
post #248 of 255 Old 10-07-2005, 01:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4K display

The expert of the optical disk talks, " HD DVD support "
Well now that HD-DVD is looking to be a really short term consulting gig, maybe Sony will hire Rick to single-handedly get BD-ROM production up to speed. ;)

b2b

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~ 1918-2003
A Toshiba spokesman, said that "from an engineer's point of view, the Blu-ray is a masterpiece.."
post #249 of 255 Old 10-07-2005, 05:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

EDIT: The expert of the optical disk talks, " HD DVD support " babelfish version (translates all text)
What a riot! :D

Yeah, I was a little suspicious of the answer though, but didn't want it to seem like we were doing even more of a full-court press on the guy (particularly, after Amir made it a point to chastize us), so I gave him the oppurtunity to do the right thing if applicable:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palladin
Thank you, Rick. If I can presume that those short term consulting deals have no connection with any format-related issues, then the subject is closed.
assuming that if he was a decent enough guy, he would correct the stated presumption. He didn't. Guess he realized that once he owned up to working for Lieberfarb, his already perceived agenda would now stand out like a big, flashing neon sign.

I've learned my lesson. You REALLY gotta love this industry. :rolleyes:

Chance favors the prepared mind
post #250 of 255 Old 10-07-2005, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

As I said, 'Vultures, vultures everywhere'.

I'd like to see a BR spin doctor around. Last couple weeks have been like being a liberal whose TV has the channel selector stuck on Fox News. :D

Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows.
-George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four
post #251 of 255 Old 10-07-2005, 06:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:

SCORE! Now I feel a whole lot better about my initial reation to this thread.
post #252 of 255 Old 10-07-2005, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2bonez
Well now that HD-DVD is looking to be a really short term consulting gig, maybe Sony will hire Rick to single-handedly get BD-ROM production up to speed. ;)
Actually, looking back at his quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmarquardt

Palladin,
I have no financial gain for whoever wins. I have left Deluxe just recently and have taken a job with a new technology start-up company working on anti-theft models. I have some short term consulting deals to carry me over.
I'm guessing he'll be helping out on the BD+ and ROM Mark. Wouldn't "anti-theft models" be another term for piracy? :D

Chance favors the prepared mind
post #253 of 255 Old 10-07-2005, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 23
If everything Rick and Amir are saying is true, then it sounds like they favor the format that is more viable for the manufactures, patent holders, and all around money makers. It's the same old story. Cheaper to produce, the sooner the better.

What ever happened to the good old days when the better product wins? I'm not referring to VHS vs. Beta because we already know what happened there. But I'm talking about washers and dryers that lasted for 50 years. Refrigerators that you didn't have to replace after 7 years.

We've all gone out and gotten ourselves into one big damn hurry. I hear it all the time on this forum. "I'm going to get HD-DVD because it will be out first." Or, "I'm getting HD-DVD because it's cheaper for them to produce and there's more mass duplication firms." It's about being patient and knowing when to wait for a good thing. I don't care how many dup houses there are. I don't care the cost to the manufactures or studios. Fact is, I care about the better overall product winning. Even if it takes a little longer. Ever hear the saying, "Good things come to those who wait."? And what IF Blu-Ray discs cost a little more than HD-DVD discs? You get what you pay for. It's not like prices won't drop and level out according to demand. Still worried about duplication costs? They'll come down too. I promise!

So why should we jump at the first thing that's offered? Why do we always have to be so particular about price? What are we Mexico?

Chet
post #254 of 255 Old 10-07-2005, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Well some HD-DVD boosters claim Blu-Ray hardware will be at least double the price of HD-DVD players and that Blu-Ray movies will be $50.
post #255 of 255 Old 10-07-2005, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81
Well some HD-DVD boosters claim Blu-Ray hardware will be at least double the price of HD-DVD players and that Blu-Ray movies will be $50.
I still expect to see HD-DVD9 red laser media and possibly new red laser only players. Maybe call it DVD+ or DVD-Xtra. With ICT constraint it would still be better than DVD, but it would serve to keep Sony inline with their pricing on BluRay players.

b2b

~ 1918-2003
A Toshiba spokesman, said that "from an engineer's point of view, the Blu-ray is a masterpiece.."
Closed Thread Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page