AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gossip from the field - MPEG-2 on DVD-Rs will be supported in official Blu Ray

848 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  trbarry 
#1 ·
hi,

dunno whether this has been discussed. Either way.. from http://www.hdforindies.com/2005/11/l...-mpeg-2-on-dvd

Latest Gossip from the field - MPEG-2 on DVD-Rs will be supported in official Blu Ray spec

OK, file this as unconfirmed gossip, I only have one source on this so far, but it boils down to this:

-I had mentioned the possibility the other day that it was proposed to go into the spec, but now it looks like it IS going into the spec

-as I'd hoped, it would appear now that the official Blu Ray spec will support, meaning all Blu Ray players should be able to play, a "properly" formatted DVD-R with MPEG-2 HD content on it. As in a red laser disc, be it DVD-5 or DVD-9, with HD content on it, would play in a Blu Ray player

-you'd have to use Blu Ray style authoring tools - your traditional DVD authoring software would not suffice, because Blu Ray discs are a different file/data/disk format than regular DVDs

-H.264 may be having trouble with interlaced content, so MPEG-2 may have to be used. Apple folks also told me of similar H.264 difficulties at NAB this year, I thought it was just because some Apple engineers were being laggards in their implementation, but it might be an issue with the core H.264 spec itself. Which I don't understand, since I'd think they'd have two independent fields to be processed as two separate progressive images, and could just process them to display as fields...blah blah blah but the intraframe (or interframe? Late/tired, whichever is frame to frame) compression is probably the hold up there.

-In any case, using a tool like an updated DVD Studio Pro, you'd author your HD content and burn it on a DVD-R, and it would play in ANY Blu Ray player that properly and fully supported the Blu Ray spec

-this is hot, since that may well mean that pretty much raw HDV footage could be piped over onto a Blu Ray disc, although Sony specifically said that wouldn't work or wasn't planned to work as of MWSF almost a year ago (back in Jan '05). HDV is long GOP MPEG-2 with a GOP of 15, which sounds to my mind similar to what Blu Ray would need for HD content. Maybe Blu Ray is full raster 1920x1080 instead of HDV's 1440x1080, I dunno. But something software could fix during an encode, certainly.

-this'd be HUGE for the home market - FINALLY a way to watch your own high def content on your own HDTV without having to plug the camera into the HDTV (so 1980s a solution!). The ability to author to a convenient, nonlinear access shiny disc is a world of difference from mastering to tape.

-I don't know/don't recall/don't remember reading that HD DVD would offer a similar capability

See less See more
#5 ·
Quote:
-this'd be HUGE for the home market - FINALLY a way to watch your own high def content on your own HDTV without having to plug the camera into the HDTV (so 1980s a solution!). The ability to author to a convenient, nonlinear access shiny disc is a world of difference from mastering to tape.
You can do this now with a cheaper and higher quality solution if you are mastering your own material. Re-encode the files to WMV9 and play them on your computer. Or, if you don't like playing on computer put them on a DVD and get something like the Avel Linkplayer that can play WMV9 or Xvid HD.

I think I saw DVD+R DL for only a couple bucks apiece on pricewatch the other day so all this is getting more feasible.

But the main point is that for a long time there will be more machines that can play regular compressed HD files that ignore any BD standards of menus, encryption, etc if you are just making your own so until/unless there a lot of useful blue ray players out there there is not much point in considering it.

- Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.