Pics of eight Blu Ray players and player/recorders. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 Old 02-12-2006, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Earz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Grand Rapids Michigan
Posts: 4,313
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
http://www.blu-ray.com/players/

Looks like two don't have model numbers yet.
Earz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 37 Old 02-12-2006, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Earz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Grand Rapids Michigan
Posts: 4,313
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After looking around at the pics, I clicked on one of the recorder models to find 14 more player/recorder models.
So I guess there are 22 total player and player recorders which is news to me.

Heres a link http://www.blu-ray.com/recorders/
Earz is offline  
post #3 of 37 Old 02-12-2006, 10:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Earz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Grand Rapids Michigan
Posts: 4,313
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
And here is one for 13 different Blu Ray drives
http://www.blu-ray.com/drives/
Earz is offline  
post #4 of 37 Old 02-13-2006, 06:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
BillP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: PA
Posts: 13,730
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 40
You must work for the BR marketing department since you are on a 1-man mission to ensure BR's success (IMO, 1000 of your 1974 posts seem to be regarding BR). (Only teasing you!)
BillP is offline  
post #5 of 37 Old 02-13-2006, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Earz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Grand Rapids Michigan
Posts: 4,313
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP
You must work for the BR marketing department since you are on a 1-man mission to ensure BR's success (IMO, 1000 of your 1974 posts seem to be regarding BR). (Only teasing you!)
Yep, I quit working for Onkyo about three months back, and got a job working for Blu Ray.
Hows Denon paying these days Bill ;) :) ?
Earz is offline  
post #6 of 37 Old 02-13-2006, 09:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
BillP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: PA
Posts: 13,730
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earz
Yep, I quit working for Onkyo about three months back, and got a job working for Blu Ray.
Hows Denon paying these days Bill ;) :) ?
If you read all my posts, you'll see that I really don't plug Denon over other brands (at the lower price range, I actually recommend Oppo or Panny over the Denon 1920). I just defend Denon against people like Auditor (does he ever have anything positive to way about anything other than CRTs?).

Sorry, don't want to sidetrack your thread, so I'll shut up now.
BillP is offline  
post #7 of 37 Old 02-13-2006, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Earz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Grand Rapids Michigan
Posts: 4,313
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP
If you read all my posts, you'll see that I really don't plug Denon over other brands (at the lower price range, I actually recommend Oppo or Panny over the Denon 1920). I just defend Denon against people like Auditor (does he ever have anything positive to way about anything other than CRTs?).

Sorry, don't want to sidetrack your thread, so I'll shut up now.
No worries Bill, it was 100% a joke and nothing more :)
I have lost most interest in sd dvd players at this point anyway, will never buy another sd dvd, and can't wait for hi res video/audio. :D .
Earz is offline  
post #8 of 37 Old 02-13-2006, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member
 
tcable's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: East Taunton, MA
Posts: 534
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Those players look awful IMHO, but it's not the chassis appearance that counts. Very 80's industrial design for premium products.

Now all we need is production hardware and street pricing. I'll assume that those are either prototype or preproduction units.
tcable is offline  
post #9 of 37 Old 02-13-2006, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Earz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Grand Rapids Michigan
Posts: 4,313
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcable
Those players look awful IMHO, but it's not the chassis appearance that counts. Very 80's industrial design for premium products.

Now all we need is production hardware and street pricing. I'll assume that those are either prototype or preproduction units.
It says proto type were applicable, and the others have model numbers with the best looking being the Pioneer Elite, Sony, Sharp, Yamaha, Philips and LG player imo.
Earz is offline  
post #10 of 37 Old 02-13-2006, 12:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
BillP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: PA
Posts: 13,730
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Any word on pricing, and on CD/high res audio capabilities?
BillP is offline  
post #11 of 37 Old 02-13-2006, 01:35 PM
Member
 
PerHT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Norway
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Nice.. can't hardly wait to get my hands on one of them..

BD certainly has got the advantage of a diverse product base..

Per
PerHT is offline  
post #12 of 37 Old 02-13-2006, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Earz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Grand Rapids Michigan
Posts: 4,313
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP
Any word on pricing, and on CD/high res audio capabilities?
Nothing official no.
All these pics show is that the Sony up scales dvd to 1080p , and the Philips player has cd/dvd/sa-cd logos on it.

Theres also some dvd/blu ray discs in the media section.
Earz is offline  
post #13 of 37 Old 02-13-2006, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Ursa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Inner Loop, Houston
Posts: 5,001
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earz
Nothing official no.
All these pics show is that the Sony up scales dvd to 1080p , and the Philips player has cd/dvd/sa-cd logos on it.

Theres also some dvd/blu ray discs in the media section.
I thought we knew that the Sony and Samsung had MSRPs of $1,000 and the Pioneer was at $1,800?
Ursa is offline  
post #14 of 37 Old 02-13-2006, 04:56 PM
Senior Member
 
JimMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Ohio
Posts: 300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hmm, must not have the time over at http://www.hd-dvd.com/

Rent this space ! cheap
JimMac is offline  
post #15 of 37 Old 02-13-2006, 05:06 PM
nyg
AVS Special Member
 
nyg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 6,687
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMac
Hmm, must not have the time over at http://www.hd-dvd.com/
LOL, if they can't even get a basic website up they really are disorganized as mentioned in the other thread (DVD Pioneer Hansen to Open First Indie HD Blu-ray Disc Facilities. OTOH, that's probably not the official site, not that Blu-ray.com is either but I know its owner is up to speed so I give him props for that. ;)
nyg is offline  
post #16 of 37 Old 02-13-2006, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Earz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Grand Rapids Michigan
Posts: 4,313
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursa
I thought we knew that the Sony and Samsung had MSRPs of $1,000 and the Pioneer was at $1,800?

I have heard both 1300.00 and around 1k for the Sony... but seen nothing official from Sony.

The Samsung says 999.00 at Circuit Citys site, but its not officially available to pre order, and I have seen no official specs for any of these players except the Pioneer pdf.
Earz is offline  
post #17 of 37 Old 02-13-2006, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Earz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Grand Rapids Michigan
Posts: 4,313
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMac
Hmm, must not have the time over at http://www.hd-dvd.com/
Just one more sign that there bringing a pocket knife to compete against an arsenal....or something. :D

Nothing like telling everyone.....we have nothing for the competition.
Earz is offline  
post #18 of 37 Old 02-13-2006, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Earz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Grand Rapids Michigan
Posts: 4,313
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2blu
LOL, if they can't even get a basic website up they really are disorganized as mentioned in the other thread (DVD Pioneer Hansen to Open First Indie HD Blu-ray Disc Facilities. OTOH, that's probably not the official site, not that Blu-ray.com is either but I know its owner is up to speed so I give him props for that. ;)
If your the owner, thanks for making it easy to find all these pics in one easy to use site....great job. :)
Earz is offline  
post #19 of 37 Old 02-13-2006, 07:00 PM
Advanced Member
 
bk1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: LI,NY
Posts: 505
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i dont know if this was covered but to these recorders accept comp. or hdmi inputs or are they going to be firewire like DVHS
bk1987 is offline  
post #20 of 37 Old 02-13-2006, 08:10 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 28,470
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earz
Just one more sign that there bringing a pocket knife to compete against an arsenal....or something. :D

Nothing like telling everyone.....we have nothing for the competition.
A bow and arrow to a gunfight. :)
Keenan is offline  
post #21 of 37 Old 02-13-2006, 08:25 PM
nyg
AVS Special Member
 
nyg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 6,687
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earz
If your the owner, thanks for making it easy to find all these pics in one easy to use site....great job. :)
I'm not, I just volunteer there. :)
nyg is offline  
post #22 of 37 Old 02-14-2006, 12:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Earz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Grand Rapids Michigan
Posts: 4,313
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2blu
I'm not, I just volunteer there. :)
Well...nice volunteer work then :)
Earz is offline  
post #23 of 37 Old 02-15-2006, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
c1courtney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Sugar Land, TX
Posts: 1,734
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMac
Hmm, must not have the time over at http://www.hd-dvd.com/
Congratulations, you found a Cyber-Squatters website. You win a Pickle. PM me your name and address and I'll send it to you in the mail.

This site name is owned by a register service called enom (www.enom.com) and is leased to, New York - New York - Perfect Future Solutions

CCourtney
c1courtney is offline  
post #24 of 37 Old 02-16-2006, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Earz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Grand Rapids Michigan
Posts: 4,313
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by c1courtney
Congratulations, you found a Cyber-Squatters website. You win a Pickle. PM me your name and address and I'll send it to you in the mail.

This site name is owned by a register service called enom (www.enom.com) and is leased to, New York - New York - Perfect Future Solutions

CCourtney
We all new it wasn't an official site...just having a bit of fun with it :)
Earz is offline  
post #25 of 37 Old 02-18-2006, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member
 
Thunder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 769
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone know whether Esoteric/Teac are planning a BR player?
Thunder is offline  
post #26 of 37 Old 02-18-2006, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JBlacklow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: A state of uncertainty
Posts: 4,692
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder
Does anyone know whether Esoteric/Teac are planning a BR player?
Teac is part of the Blu-Ray Disc Association (BDA), so they're at least interested.

"When I get sad I just stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story."
--Barney Stinson, How I Met Your Mother

Best. Surge Protector. Ever.
JBlacklow is online now  
post #27 of 37 Old 02-18-2006, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
raaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Near the lovely City by the Bay
Posts: 2,801
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder
Does anyone know whether Esoteric/Teac are planning a BR player?
You can bet your chips that you'll see them make a player with a four figure price tag within one year !!
raaj is offline  
post #28 of 37 Old 02-18-2006, 02:19 PM
Advanced Member
 
MrPorterhouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Cedar Lake, IN
Posts: 532
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2blu
LOL, if they can't even get a basic website up they really are disorganized as mentioned in the other thread
True that, but I use http://www.hddvd.org/hddvd/ as the website for HD DVD info in the mean time. Can't wait for my PS3, baby.

How do you go low? A SVS PB10-isd and a Cerwin Vega LW-15, that's how I go
Sony 60GB PS3 for Blu-ray Movies
MrPorterhouse is offline  
post #29 of 37 Old 02-18-2006, 05:31 PM
 
egcarter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Keaau, Hawaii, USA
Posts: 3,570
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
egcarter is offline  
post #30 of 37 Old 02-28-2006, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Earz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Grand Rapids Michigan
Posts: 4,313
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
With all the "when will there be a 500.00 Blu Ray player questions", which players are most likely to be 500.00 msrp or less first?

Panasonic, LG and Sharp are my guesses as the most likely Blu Ray players to start at 500.00 or less when they hit the market.

I am not all that interested in a recorder at this time, but anyone have any idea what premium these recorder /players will have?
Earz is offline  
Closed Thread Blu-ray Players

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off