Convince ME - HD DVD or BD? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 28 Old 02-17-2006, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Guys I gotta admit I'm at a loss, I don't know whether to go with BD or HD DVD, I don't really have the cash to be one of the "I'll buy both so it doesen't matter" guys.

BD - I could see going with this because of wider studio support (including anime)

BD - I could see not going with this format because of higher initial cost `$1000 ouch!

HD DVD - lower initial cost and reasonable studio support, J6p could make this format the winner because of price and name recognition ALONE!

HD DVD - Sony holds a trump card in that they are a hardware maker AND content provider, that COULD damage HD DVD's chances severely.

HELP ME!!

the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled... People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. Cicero , 55 BC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 02-17-2006, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
:confused: Sorry, I can't even help myself! :confused:
post #3 of 28 Old 02-17-2006, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

If you are planning to buy a ps3, then you should hold off purchasing any player now.
post #4 of 28 Old 02-17-2006, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

As much as I talk about the next generation here, I would definitely advise holding off if you're split. Neither side seems to have fully-featured 1st-generation players, AACS isn't even finalized, and we have the PS3 and supposedly lower-cost players coming down the pike. Studio support (as in number of titles) is still quite limited, as it was with DVD. Unless you're really excited about one format or the other, or both and have the money, wait until the holiday shopping season at the earliest.

P.S.: I suggest asking the mods to move this thread to "HDTV Software" unless you're asking just Blu-Ray fans to convince you why they're right.

"When I get sad I just stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story."
--Barney Stinson, How I Met Your Mother

Best. Surge Protector. Ever.
post #5 of 28 Old 02-17-2006, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

No,

Wait til it releases, and convince yourself.

:)

I cried because i had no G90.... til i met a man who had only Digital.
post #6 of 28 Old 02-17-2006, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm really want BD fans to give me their best shot and convince me to spend more on the technology they like. I'm planning on posting something similar in the HD dvd area.

PS3 is an interesting option, maybe pick up an HD DVD player now and a PS3 later, as it will be one of the few sub $1000 BD players available??

Will Either format support an DVI to HDMI converter cable my sony set has only DVI

Oh yeah one other question Blu Ray players will play SD DVD right?

the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled... People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. Cicero , 55 BC
post #7 of 28 Old 02-17-2006, 12:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 38
getme, both BR and HD will play (and upscale) current 480i DVDs. And yes, an HDMI-to-DVI cable should work fine, as long as your display is HDCP compliant. My advice to you is to wait until the dust settles. Despite a lot of hype from both sides, nobody knows for sure which format will win, or whether both (or neither) will survive. Also, what display do you have? That could be an important factor into your decision.
post #8 of 28 Old 02-17-2006, 02:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Skip em both, wait and see how all the copy protection BS works out.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #9 of 28 Old 02-17-2006, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by getme
BD - I could see not going with this format because of higher initial cost `$1000 ouch!
If that's out of your budget, I'd wait rather than go with HD-DVD just because it's cheaper.

Quote:
HD DVD - lower initial cost and reasonable studio support, J6p could make this format the winner because of price and name recognition ALONE!
I don't think J6P will be interested in either format for a year or two. The name could actually be a major problem although it probably won't help nor hinder it

Quote:
HD DVD - Sony holds a trump card in that they are a hardware maker AND content provider, that COULD damage HD DVD's chances severely.
That will damange it's chances. How much is the question. The main advantage is that Sony/MGM will pretty much always be BD exclusive. I also imagine that Universal are more likely to publish for both rather than Disney, Fox and Lionsgate doing so
post #10 of 28 Old 02-17-2006, 04:24 PM
AVS Club Gold

Let me try to steer you in the blu i mean ray opps right direction :). The reason blu-ray would be the best bet is 85% of the Ce industry along will all studios except universal supports blu-ray. You will be able to get a pc from Dell and im pretty sure apple and hp that will have blu-ray drives in them. Then you will walk into a store and see as it is right now 2 players that are hd-dvd both being toshiba. You will then see Panasonic. jvc, sony, samsung , pioneer. Philips. yamaha. sharp, mitsubishi,. Tell me who do you think has the edge here and you should have your answer.
post #11 of 28 Old 02-17-2006, 04:39 PM

As another newb ive decided to wait on PS3.Just stacked too heavily in Blue ray favor.
post #12 of 28 Old 02-17-2006, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Wait and um, Wait.
I wouldn't buy any of these first gen players because they will be obsolete by Christmas and the way naziwood wants to control what you do with their content that you pay for, they could change the AACS rules ten times between now and Christmas making the player obsolete anyway.
I plan on holding off until the second generation or if an AACS/ICT hack materializes before then, I might reconsider.
post #13 of 28 Old 02-17-2006, 05:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintit77
they could change the AACS rules ten times between now and Christmas making the player obsolete anyway.
That's assuming they ever finalize AACS and actually release these things. :rolleyes:

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #14 of 28 Old 02-17-2006, 05:25 PM
nyg
AVS Special Member

If you still cannot decide with all of the information that's widely available, including the vast amount of threads at this forum, then perhaps it's best you wait till the battle is over and you can buy an HD disc player for $39 at Wal-Mart. You are clearly not an early adopter IMO.
post #15 of 28 Old 02-17-2006, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
If you prefer BD, having patience will reward you.

Keith Jack
Sigma Designs
BD, IPTV, HDTV decoder supplier
Blog: http://www.keithjack.net
post #16 of 28 Old 02-18-2006, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

N2BLU ,
I assure you I am an early adopter I bought the Toshiba SD 3006 when it first came out along with Austin Powers and Blade Runner:) I'm always the first on the block with the newest toys.

I've officially decided to wait for now at least until Christmas thanks for all the help and keep the opinions coming, the really hard part is going to be slowing down my DVD purchasing

post #17 of 28 Old 02-26-2006, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I would wait. It doesn't cost anything to hype products full of empty promises. Most people here are arguing over the specs. Which format has better specs? The specs don't matter if the features never get used. Wait for the players to come out. Buy what you need when you need it.

BD originally claimed 1080p output on 50GB discs with advanced codecs. That's in the specs. What we actually get in a player & associated content can and most likely will be less. Same for HD-DVD. Their initial players are only capable of a subset of what's in the spec.

If you want to "take one for the team" and buy an early substandard implementation of either team's full spec player, I whole heartedly encourage you too :) That will help pay for more feature rich and cheaper players for the rest of us.

As for studio support, take a look at the titles announced and what appeals to you. Also, when comparing catalogs, keep in mind that studio support doesn't equal content from the whole catalog. i.e. BD has Fox, but what are the chances we'll see Star Wars on BD any time soon? Not likely. Lastly, studio support has changed and will continue to change. IF BD hardware sales completely dominate HD-DVD, you can be sure Universal will come over for 100% studio support for BD. By the same rationale, if HD-DVD hardware sales dominate, then studios from the BD camp will come over and HD-DVD will see greater support.

post #18 of 28 Old 02-26-2006, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjack
If you prefer BD, having patience will reward you.
Keith, can you elaborate? This is twice now you've either alluded to more feature rich players or lower cost players.

If you cannot answer with specific details, I understand, but could you at least tell us what to be on the lookout for and the general time-frame?

Thanks.
post #19 of 28 Old 02-27-2006, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I thought I heard something about Java based menus? other than that what will first gen players be lacking?

post #20 of 28 Old 03-01-2006, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
other than that what will first gen players be lacking?
Here's a good list for both sides:

Current issues with 1st gen HiDef Discs

post #21 of 28 Old 03-02-2006, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Regardless, I'd wait a little bit. Especially if you don't have a larger than 50" display. I'd say if you're on the fence, stay there till Summer '07. A good summer, as Star Wars will likely be released on a format, and that might be a good indicator of where the market will head. Also, studio support will be more entrenched or open by then.

If you have golden ears, I'd lean towards BD, with its higher bit rates for Dolby. DTS-HD and D_THD not withstanding, though I expect you won't see a bunch of releases in those audio formats for a bit.

Main screen turn on. All your base are belong to us.
post #22 of 28 Old 03-02-2006, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

I still prefer DTS to high bit rate (640k) DD. It's a personal preference. I think if studios are going to take the time to redo the audio for higher bit rate DD, there's a good chance they'll go the distance and use a lossless format, which should finally end the other religious war debating what audio compression technology is better.

post #23 of 28 Old 03-04-2006, 06:43 PM
Advanced Member

If you are a gamer definitely buy the PS3 thats comes with the BD player . Its rumored to be between 3 and 4 hundred dollars. SONY is basically giving away the BD player to get a head start. The bigger capacity of BD is important. Have you meet anyone that complaints about too much capacity in their PC hard drive? ;)
post #24 of 28 Old 03-10-2006, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by technofan
If you are a gamer definitely buy the PS3 thats comes with the BD player . Its rumored to be between 3 and 4 hundred dollars. SONY is basically giving away the BD player to get a head start. The bigger capacity of BD is important. Have you meet anyone that complaints about too much capacity in their PC hard drive? ;)
IMO, the larger capacity is only important for data storage on recordable media, not pre-recorded movies. The studios will just use it to fill up the disc with useless extras so they can charge a higher price. As for the POS3 (oops, I meant PS3) I would leave it for the gamers if it is as bad at playing BD discs as the PS2 was playing DVDs.

"The truth is out there!"
post #25 of 28 Old 03-10-2006, 09:07 AM
BBH

Do some research and convince yourself. Don't be part of the herd all your life. Make your own decision.
post #26 of 28 Old 03-10-2006, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBH
Do some research and convince yourself. Don't be part of the herd all your life. Make your own decision.
Good advice, usually, but this is one time when the "herd" is probably going to make the final call. So you may as well flip a coin, pay your money and take your chances along with everybody else.

"The truth is out there!"
post #27 of 28 Old 03-10-2006, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Re OP's "Guys I gotta admit I'm at a loss..." You are lost because there is nothing to find.

Both win, neither, BillG$ wins,... Most people will not flip a coin, take no chance and vote $0. Only time will tell and they seem to like the slow lane.

HD-DVD is dead, so now I'm a Gary McCoy fanboy.
post #28 of 28 Old 03-10-2006, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBH
MooooOOOooo

Main screen turn on. All your base are belong to us.
Closed Thread Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page