Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post

"Intents and purposes."

Forgive me. It's a pet peeve, a hot button, an itch I have to scratch. The phrase is "For all intents and purposes."

http://www.word-detective.com/2009/0...sive-purposes/

If you didn't do it I would have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #31562 of 32090 Old 02-07-2012, 07:21 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

"Intents and purposes."

Forgive me. It's a pet peeve, a hot button, an itch I have to scratch. The phrase is "For all intents and purposes."

I'm sure we all have our language peeves.
I go crazy when "of" is used as a verb (because it sounds like "have").
e.g. "I should of" instead of "I should have".
Also the use of i.e. when e.g. is intended ("for example").

But these forums are not about language, so I try not to say anything. And I know my language skills are not perfect either.
post #31563 of 32090 Old 02-07-2012, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3193 View Post

I'm sure we all have our language peeves.
I go crazy when "of" is used as a verb (because it sounds like "have").
e.g. "I should of" instead of "I should have".
Also the use of i.e. when e.g. is intended ("for example").

But these forums are not about language, so I try not to say anything. And I know my language skills are not perfect either.

FWIW both i.e. and e.g. are both proper english and come from latin words.

Just saying.....

:-)
post #31564 of 32090 Old 02-07-2012, 07:43 AM

Liked: 11
(hoping this is the best place for this question)
Recently got an Optoma 3300 from AV Science. Got it hooked up to my PS3 and going through the video setup I was asked the screen size. I put the info in and went on my way.

Now that I'm all set up I'm fiddling more with settings and I was wondering what a different size (which I assume affects convergence) would do. I went extreme and tried 10" and 200". With both sizes there was literally no change in 3D blu-ray or 3D games.

I have not been able to find much information on this. I think I found one post somewhere from over a year ago claiming a Sony tech said that you have to reset the whole system to change the size. This seems extreme to me. I did try shutting down the PS3 between changes but I haven't gone further than that.

Does anyone have more information on how this setting works and how to change it?
post #31565 of 32090 Old 02-07-2012, 08:18 AM

I have my fat 60GB PS3 hooked up via HDMI to a Pioneer 1120K AVR. It is set up to output linear PCM audio.

When I watch BDs, I'll get full surround and the AVR will show "PCM" in the display. It's been a while but I recently tried watching a DVD with a Dolby 5.1 track and noticed that only the 2 front speakers had sound. Also, the AVR showed "Stereo", which is exactly what was being output. That same DVD (Real Steel, if that matters) was played on an old DVD player hooked up to the same AVR (audio output via optical connection) and sound was coming out of all 5 speakers. The AVR also correctly showed "Dolby" on the display.

What settings am I missing on the PS3? I have the audio types on the PS3 set to auto-detect and it's outputting linear PCM through HDMI.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I tried searching but it doesn't seem like anyone has this problem, unless I missed it (I've seen no output whatsoever, connections using optical, etc.).
post #31566 of 32090 Old 02-07-2012, 11:25 AM

someone refresh my memory please.... Using an older fat ps3, do I get better sound with PCM or Bitstream using Optical?

Another thing, I have to output PCM to get the DTS HD audio from HDMI correct?
(I know it can't do Dolby HD currently and my ps3 is updated above 3.70 to be able to at least get this)
post #31567 of 32090 Old 02-07-2012, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milez28 View Post

someone refresh my memory please.... Using an older fat ps3, do I get better sound with PCM or Bitstream using Optical?

(I know it can't do Dolby HD currently and my ps3 is updated above 3.70 to be able to at least get this)

I don't know about using Optical. With HDMI and on PCM its the only way to get DTS-HD and Dolby High Def sound.

Onkyo 608 7.2 set up.
Klipsch VF-35 front left/right
Klipsch VC-25 center speaker
Onkyo SKF-560F back surround speakers.
Klipsch Synergy S1 surround.
Onkyo 12in. sub.
Polk Audio PSW505
PS3
post #31568 of 32090 Old 02-07-2012, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
Quote:

All your ANSWERS are in the FAQ Thread - CLICK HERE
post #31569 of 32090 Old 02-07-2012, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

All your ANSWERS are in the FAQ Thread - CLICK HERE

too much work

it's ony been covered hundreds of times - if not more. So what's one more to keep it fresh.....
post #31570 of 32090 Old 02-07-2012, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

too much work

it's ony been covered hundreds of times - if not more. So what's one more to keep it fresh.....

YOU ONLY have to READ ONE POST
post #31571 of 32090 Old 02-07-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:

I've read it and other threads but couldn't find the answer to my question. Any ideas?
post #31572 of 32090 Old 02-07-2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:

which post is that?
post #31573 of 32090 Old 02-07-2012, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepags View Post

FWIW both i.e. and e.g. are both proper english and come from latin words.

Just saying.....

:-)

I know we're way OT here, but yes, you are right that both are abbreviations from Latin.
i.e. (id est) means "that is"
e.g. (exempli gratia) is "for example"

My point is that some people use i.e. when they should be using e.g.
And I know I'm making a mountain out of a molehill.
post #31574 of 32090 Old 02-07-2012, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

which post is that?

I guess I made it TOO HARD for you with a LINK
post #31575 of 32090 Old 02-07-2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:

I guess I made it TOO HARD for you with a LINK

that's a pretty big link you got there... someone could get lost in that

haha FYI I've read the FAQ thread before but I was just hoping for a quick answer but hey, I guess this is a good way to build my post count going back and forth like this
post #31576 of 32090 Old 02-07-2012, 12:52 PM

the time and effort it took for us to be smart @$$es either:
1. I could have looked it up and found the answer myself (which I did and it took like a whole minute)
2. You could have just replied "Blank" which would have took a LOT less time and effort than multiposting, creating useful links to help me find the answer, etc...

But I'm not giving up now, I'm not gonna go away until you tell me
post #31577 of 32090 Old 02-07-2012, 04:39 PM

Liked: 26
Quote:

"Intents and purposes."

Thanks for the pointer. As someone who is college educated and a business professional, I have my pet peeves as well (their, there, they're, etc.). I chalk it up to iPhone typing.

But, I try not to make it a point to correct people in public forums as it is just as big a pet peeve, to me. I understand many of us are typing quickly or on mobile devices that tend to auto-correct. Also, many people are on these forums and English is not their main language. Who am I to judge?

Now, if I am reviewing resumes, that is another story as I would hope someone took the time to proofread.
post #31578 of 32090 Old 02-08-2012, 04:06 AM

Spelling, grammar, conjugation, etc has become a huge problem in this country.

If you or I am doing something wrong, we need to know it and correct it. That's learning, and knowledge is power.

That's my take, and I'm sticking to it.

Oh yeah, how about that PS3!
post #31579 of 32090 Old 02-08-2012, 04:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacdaddyPS View Post

If you or I am doing something wrong, we need to know it and correct it. That's learning, and knowledge is power.

True dat. It is ironic that "Macdaddy" is correcting spelling, grammar and conjugation!
post #31580 of 32090 Old 02-08-2012, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacdaddyPS View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by btinindy View Post

True dat. It is ironic that "Macdaddy" is correcting spelling, grammar and conjugation!

Maybe my point was lost, but I agree in a sense. My point is if you were TRULY concerned with letting someone know they made an error, you may want to do it via PM instead of standing up in the middle of a crowded room and say "Look at the dummy!!"

If I called out one of my engineers for making a simple mistake in a group meeting, it would be very poor etiquette. It is much more effective to pull them aside and point out the error for them to correct.

Otherwise, it would just be me grandstanding.

Anyway...back on topic!
post #31581 of 32090 Old 02-10-2012, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member

Does anyone know if, and when there will be an update for the PS3 slim to enable TrueHD via bitstream on 3D blu-rays???

I am really getting fraustrated over this.
post #31582 of 32090 Old 02-10-2012, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:

If I called out one of my engineers for making a simple mistake in a group meeting, it would be very poor etiquette. It is much more effective to pull them aside and point out the error for them to correct.

a) Unlike your meeting, this is not a professional business environment where the rules are more stringent and the stakes are higher.

b) In cases where someone repeats a "common usage" error, making the correction public is IMO a public service. "Intensive purposes" comes from people having mis-heard the source phrase without having consciously heard it used correctly, like "doggy dog world." People say things in their head they way they hear them spoken, and then try to write what they heard. Pointing these things out is not a personal indictment, it's an attempt to "raise all boats."

c) If anyone was offended, I'm sorry. No offense was intended. 'Scuse me while I kiss this guy.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #31583 of 32090 Old 02-11-2012, 07:03 AM

Quote:

a) Unlike your meeting, this is not a professional business environment where the rules are more stringent and the stakes are higher.

b) In cases where someone repeats a "common usage" error, making the correction public is IMO a public service. "Intensive purposes" comes from people having mis-heard the source phrase without having consciously heard it used correctly, like "doggy dog world." People say things in their head they way they hear them spoken, and then try to write what they heard. Pointing these things out is not a personal indictment, it's an attempt to "raise all boats."

c) If anyone was offended, I'm sorry. No offense was intended. 'Scuse me while I kiss this guy.

Appreciate your point of view and I am not offended in the least, but I disagree with you so it may just be an "agree to disagree" situation.
To a few of your points:

a) No, but an internet forum is not an English classroom, either. And you must account for people typing quickly with little proofreading.

b) I agree with most of this, except the last sentence. I disagree that a science forum is the best place for a public grammar crusade. While you may feel you are helping the person and the cause, it can come across as pretentious. A simple PM to that person, allowing them the option to correct the error, would probably reflect more positively on your cause.

c) Non taken. I just think it is a matter of etiquette.

My apologies, I would have put this in a PM, where it belongs, but that option appears disabled.

More on topic, I am looking at moving from an old fat 80gb PS3 and getting a Slim. Are there any other differences in Blu Ray playback other than the bitstreaming of HD codecs?
post #31584 of 32090 Old 02-11-2012, 08:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob67 View Post

Appreciate your point of view and I am not offended in the least, but I disagree with you so it may just be an "agree to disagree" situation.
To a few of your points:

a) No, but an internet forum is not an English classroom, either. And you must account for people typing quickly with little proofreading.

b) I agree with most of this, except the last sentence. I disagree that a science forum is the best place for a public grammar crusade. While you may feel you are helping the person and the cause, it can come across as pretentious. A simple PM to that person, allowing them the option to correct the error, would probably reflect more positively on your cause.

c) Non taken. I just think it is a matter of etiquette.

My apologies, I would have put this in a PM, where it belongs, but that option appears disabled.

More on topic, I am looking at moving from an old fat 80gb PS3 and getting a Slim. Are there any other differences in Blu Ray playback other than the bitstreaming of HD codecs?

I post to commend both of you for the courtesy of your posts, especially here, where rancor is sometimes raised to an art form.

I know rdclark to be a courteous fellow but, in the interests of full disclosure, feel constrained to confess that I agree with Rob67's point. It seems to me that correcting grammar errors in a public forum should be avoided most of the time because unsolicited advice ordinarily does no good and, worse, often engenders misunderstandings.

To get back on topic for a moment, I have had my 60 Gb PS3 Fat for nearly four years and it is still going strong. I probably will replace it with a Slim when it finally dies despite the proliferation of BD players that are both reasonably priced and work very well.
post #31585 of 32090 Old 02-11-2012, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by king_david View Post

does anyone know if, and when there will be an update for the ps3 slim to enable truehd via bitstream on 3d blu-rays???

i am really getting fraustrated over this.

+1
post #31586 of 32090 Old 02-11-2012, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member

There I was fraustrated that my PS3 slim could not bitstream TrueHD tracks while playing a 3D Blu-ray disc...
So I figured that at least while playing 3D BDs I could at least just let the player decode it.

Now I find out that it cannot internally process TrueHD and sent it to my reciever as uncompressed PCM???

This means I can't enjoy Transformers, Shrek 1-4, Kung-Fu Panda...etc. in 3D!!!

And the straw that broke the camel's back: It is not HDMI 1.4 compliant???

I am afraid but this thing might be going on Ebay today.
post #31587 of 32090 Old 02-11-2012, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Uncompressed multichannel PCM is what you get after decoding compressed lossless audio. I don't understand the problem.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #31588 of 32090 Old 02-11-2012, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Both the Fat and Slim PS3 are HDMI 1.4 compliant for 3D purposes. Both the Fat and Slim PS3 have the same PCM capabilities. The Slim PS3 can process bitstream through HDMI while the Fat cannot. As of now Dolby HD cannot be processed while the PS3 is processing a 3D Blu-ray movie. Considering when the PS3 was released I am pleased it can do 3D and DTS HD in the 3D mode. Sony may yet figure out how to do Dolby HD in the 3D mode on the PS3 but nothing has been announced.
post #31589 of 32090 Old 02-11-2012, 03:40 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_David View Post

Now I find out that it cannot internally process TrueHD and sent it to my reciever as uncompressed PCM???

Yes, it can but with standard 2D Blu-ray discs only. Not 3D discs. I mentioned that here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post21601695
post #31590 of 32090 Old 02-11-2012, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGo View Post

Both the Fat and Slim PS3 are HDMI 1.4 compliant for 3D purposes. Both the Fat and Slim PS3 have the same PCM capabilities. The Slim PS3 can process bitstream through HDMI while the Fat cannot. As of now Dolby HD cannot be processed while the PS3 is processing a 3D Blu-ray movie. Considering when the PS3 was released I am pleased it can do 3D and DTS HD in the 3D mode. Sony may yet figure out how to do Dolby HD in the 3D mode on the PS3 but nothing has been announced.

We need this added to the first post of the thread in bold red flashing letters... This gets asked at least once or twice a week...

-Aaron
My Basement Movie Room and Bar/Game Room - actually doing stuff now... please comment!
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Blu Ray Players , Blu Ray Movies , Sony , Toshiba , Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page