One-and-Only PS3 as Blu-Ray Player Thread - Page 1054 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31591 of 32090 Old 02-11-2012, 07:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 450
My daughter and son in law have 3D capability in their home theater setup and I have been pretty underwhelmed when I have watched 3D BDs there. In fact, most of the 3D I have seen in the theater hasn't been much more impressive. Thus despite my tendency to be an early adopter of new technology, I have not bought a 3D display so my four year old PS3 Fat remains all I need. Seeing the frustration of those of you who are suffering the pain of not being able to hear TrueHD soundtracks on 3D BDs, just this once I am pleased to be a Philistine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #31592 of 32090 Old 02-12-2012, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
DO NOT UPGRADE!!! I just did and can no longer connect to the internet.

UPDATE: had to turn off the PS3, unplug my router, plug the router back in, and turn the PS3 back on.
post #31593 of 32090 Old 02-12-2012, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by vando45 View Post

DO NOT UPGRADE!!! I just did and can no longer connect to the internet.

Thanks for the heads-up. Let's see what experiences others are having.
post #31594 of 32090 Old 02-12-2012, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by 120inna55 View Post

Thanks for the heads-up. Let's see what experiences others are having.

i can connect, but i have noticed it sign me out of the PSN network quite a bit like it doesn't want to keep the connection.
post #31595 of 32090 Old 02-12-2012, 03:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by oleus View Post

i can connect, but i have noticed it sign me out of the PSN network quite a bit like it doesn't want to keep the connection.

Has anyone tried Youtube?? Heard it was supposed to play nicer with that site after the update. I will have to try it when I get home.
post #31596 of 32090 Old 02-12-2012, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I tried to watch Netflix today. My first session worked great. When I finished Episode 1 of 5th Gear and started Episode 2 the PS3 loaded about 15% of the program and locked up. I could not do anything and had to unplug and replug the PS3 to restart. I had seen a message that I needed to update to 4.10 so I did. I then laoded Episode 2 and it played to completion. Netflix prompted me to watch Episode 3 so I said OK. But then it froze again at about the same point. I plugged/unplugged and loaded a different selection, this time a movie. It loaded all the way to the end of the graph and locked up again. No keys would work; only unplug/replug. Lock up doesn't seem to be influenced by my upgrade to 4.10 as it did it beforehand.

Any ideas, thoughts? Is there a realtime tech support for the PS3 that I should go to?

Jack
post #31597 of 32090 Old 02-12-2012, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I have had no problem connecting to the internet after the update, but connecting to the PSN is still sucky.
post #31598 of 32090 Old 02-12-2012, 08:03 PM

Liked: 10
I have the 60g phat model and did the upgrade with no problems. Still connecting and everything else works fine

Onkyo 608 7.2 set up.
Klipsch VF-35 front left/right
Klipsch VC-25 center speaker
Onkyo SKF-560F back surround speakers.
Klipsch Synergy S1 surround.
Onkyo 12in. sub.
Polk Audio PSW505
PS3
post #31599 of 32090 Old 02-13-2012, 09:02 AM

Had to bring my AVR in for repair, and had to hook up my PS3 slim directly to my TV via HDMI.
Tried to play a Blu Ray with only a DTS-HD track. No choice for Dolby Digital 5.1 on the disc.
Cant get the Audio to play correctly thru the TV. Movie opens up and can hear the intro music, but nothing when the actors are speaking-NADA!
Tried to set some diff settings on the PS3 audio output, didn't work.
Any way to hear a DTS-HD track correctly thru the TV?
post #31600 of 32090 Old 02-13-2012, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacdaddyPS View Post

Had to bring my AVR in for repair, and had to hook up my PS3 slim directly to my TV via HDMI.
Tried to play a Blu Ray with only a DTS-HD track. No choice for Dolby Digital 5.1 on the disc.
Cant get the Audio to play correctly thru the TV. Movie opens up and can hear the intro music, but nothing when the actors are speaking-NADA!
Tried to set some diff settings on the PS3 audio output, didn't work.
Any way to hear a DTS-HD track correctly thru the TV?

Just go through the Audio setup wizard. It will detect the TV only support PCM 2.0 channels and all audio will be down-converted.

Alternatively, you can hold the front power button down when you turn on the PS3 power switch on back until you hear 3 beeps and the audio/video settings will be set to defaults.
post #31601 of 32090 Old 02-17-2012, 01:48 PM
Advanced Member

I have been searching for an answer with no sucess so here's my dilema. I just got the mits. adapter and DLP glasses for my 73835.

I have 3d working going from a cablecard in a Tivo going through my AVR to the TV but when I tried to play the 3d demo disk in my PS3, I am not getting a 3d picture? Am I missing a setting somewhere to enable it? I have the latest firmware. I thought it might be the AVR so I plugged the PS3 directly into the adapter and the picture was the same
post #31602 of 32090 Old 02-17-2012, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swak View Post

I have been searching for an answer with no sucess so here's my dilema. I just got the mits. adapter and DLP glasses for my 73835.

I have 3d working going from a cablecard in a Tivo going through my AVR to the TV but when I tried to play the 3d demo disk in my PS3, I am not getting a 3d picture? Am I missing a setting somewhere to enable it? I have the latest firmware. I thought it might be the AVR so I plugged the PS3 directly into the adapter and the picture was the same

HDMI all the way and then on your ps3 run the display wizard choose HDMI and then it should say what size for the 3d display, choose your size and press X. Hope that helps.

Onkyo 608 7.2 set up.
Klipsch VF-35 front left/right
Klipsch VC-25 center speaker
Onkyo SKF-560F back surround speakers.
Klipsch Synergy S1 surround.
Onkyo 12in. sub.
Polk Audio PSW505
PS3
post #31603 of 32090 Old 02-17-2012, 02:31 PM
Advanced Member

I am using HDMI, where do I find the display wizard?
post #31604 of 32090 Old 02-17-2012, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by swak View Post

I have your TV. What you need to do is first connect your PS3 directly to the 3D adapter. Then use the XMB to select video sources (going through the AVR won't detect a 3D TV for your PS3). Then unplug the HDMI from the adapter and then plug it into your AVR (DON'T unplug the HDMI from the back of your PS3). Now you're set to go (except for 3D BDs unless your AVR supports 1.4).

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

post #31605 of 32090 Old 02-17-2012, 04:07 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks, the direct hdmi hookup to the adapter worked. Guess the old ONKYO was the issue. Maybe I need a splitter to run my two sources to the adapter and just use optical for my ps3 audio for now.
post #31606 of 32090 Old 02-18-2012, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferdy View Post

When my A01 60GB gave up the ghost, it was overdue---it was of the batch of very first released---and never really worked exactly right. It had trouble holding an internet connection, trouble downloading updates (usually had to download them from the PS3 website to a flash drive and do it manually), and then after updates, the auto reboot would hang and I would have to start it in safe mode just to get it to run again. The final straw was when it wouldn't load regular DVDs and PS2 games.

So I called Sony and got the $99 trade in. Although they say the replacements (Slim 160GB 2401's) are refurbs, the one I got appeared to be brand spanking new with all of the protective sticky plastic stuff that you have to peel off still in place. I have to say, it's the best deal around for 99 bucks---it works perfectly and has done away with all my frustrations with the old one--the turnaround was only about a week, though they say 2 weeks. The rep almost shed a tear to offer to take the A01 back---he seemed genuinely upset and said he hates to see the grandaddy of them all crash and burn, because they (the first 2 models) had EVERYTHING in one package. But anyway, I just went on eBay and bought a used PS2 SCPH-50001 complete with DVD remote, network adapter, 64MB memory card, 2 wired controllers and 1 wireless controller for 60 bucks shipped for my huge library of PS2 games. The 50001 was the last of the "fat" models, and is the only fat model that has the progressive scan option for DVDs. Gotta say for $60, it's just as good as any upscaling DVD player I've seen. Usually if you can get a 480p signal through component cables to any worthwhile HDTV, the TV can upscale to signal to HD if it has any kind of decent scaler built into it.

So, I'd say go for it. Well worth the $160 total it cost me to trade it in---

Let us know what you decide to do----

decided to attempt to get it fixed, its worth the extra to at least try to get it fixed

pcm=potato
bitstream=patato
post #31607 of 32090 Old 02-19-2012, 06:09 PM

So Im having a bit of an issue here with my audio on the PS3. Im using it temporarily as a 3D Blu Ray Player. I dont have a receiver that is capable so I had to run the HDMI direct to the TV and use optical audio direct to receiver.

Before I had my PS3 via HDMI direct to receiver for audio & video because I did not have a 3D TV, this was about a week ago. I had just watched Transformers Dark of the Moon testing out my new sub and it sounded great!

I then switched to the optical audio since I just got a 3D TV and the audio is severly lacking, bass is hardly present. I know the only options for optical include Dolby/DTS 5.1 but even on those, I had some serious bass from the same movie on the HDMI connection. Now, on the current optical audio, very slight. Dark of the moon sounds so bland

Is this because of the audio connection?
Yes, I have the PS3 to output via optical before you ask
Am I just sore out of luck until I can get a 3D blu ray player with Dual HDMI?(cant afford a 3D receiver at this moment)

Its not my sub either because my Verizon FiOS box is 3D Capable, and I have it hooked up as well just like the PS3 and the bass is a plenty, that is running on optical audio as well.

Please help
post #31608 of 32090 Old 02-20-2012, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 313
There are two places you have to set up the optical output. First on Sound Settings - Audio Output Settings, you have to pick Optical and check DD 5.1 and DTS. Then go to Video settings - BD Audio Output Format (Optical Digital) and pick Bistream (or Mix per you preference). If you don't do this, you'll only get stereo and the poor sound you describe. Do the lights on your receiver indicate you're getting a DD or DTS signal?
post #31609 of 32090 Old 02-20-2012, 11:59 AM

Ok so I switched to Bitstream direct and my bass is back, wOOt! Thanks! I never bothered to look there since Linear PCM was how it was setup for HDMI.
post #31610 of 32090 Old 02-20-2012, 02:48 PM

Hi everyone! Sorry if this is not the right place but maybe you can help me...
I am having a weird behavior in my PS3 when connecting to Netflix, and I just want to know if anyone has experienced it and solved it:
It is a fat 80GB model. When I first installed and tested Netflix, the PS3 was connected to internet with WiFi and Netflix worked fine. After some changes in my home entertainment setup, I connected my PS3 to internet with an ethernet cable instead of WiFi, everything seemed OK (PSNetwork access, software updates, internet browsing, etc.) except for access to Netflix: I just keep getting the red screen and the loading blocks, but after a while there comes this screen that tells me that it could not connect to the service. I have reinstalled Netflix several times on my PS3 but it does not fix it. I have also tested Netflix on my PC using with the same cable and it works just fine in the PC. When I go back to WiFi connection in my PS3, Netflix starts working again, but if i go to wired it stops working. Has anyone gone through this behaviour? Thanks, guys.
post #31611 of 32090 Old 02-20-2012, 07:07 PM

I just got a new A/V receiver and with everything else receiver is fine but with PS3, A/V receiver shows PCM (means still somewhere not set of Bitstream) is there any place I might missed for setting on PS3?
As far as I can tell I set everything on PS3 as of Bitstream out but seems like I missed one or more somewhere, can anyone clear this up for me. All connections are HDMI
post #31612 of 32090 Old 02-20-2012, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 313
^^^ 4 posts up. Replace the word optical with HDMI.
post #31613 of 32090 Old 02-20-2012, 07:57 PM

Actually I just changed the disk and put in 007 thru-HD and receiver showed up Tru-HD and played very nicely but when I put back any games Drake or some others PCM comes in so seems like playing video is okay but game still puts out PCM and when I checked everywhere set to bitstream how this can happen
post #31614 of 32090 Old 02-21-2012, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salacak View Post

Actually I just changed the disk and put in 007 thru-HD and receiver showed up Tru-HD and played very nicely but when I put back any games Drake or some others PCM comes in so seems like playing video is okay but game still puts out PCM and when I checked everywhere set to bitstream how this can happen

I couldn't figure this for the longest time either, like 4 years. If you want it to bitstream only, go to audio setup and check only the top five or six options, which include Dolby digital and the like. I think two PCM settings cannot be unchecked, but that shouldn't matter. The only thing that sucks about setting it up like this is, if you watch a bluray with the only option for high resolution sound is uncompressed PCM, it will default to Dolby Digital. So, you would need to go back into settings and allow it to use PCM again. Does that make sense or is there a better way to do this?
post #31615 of 32090 Old 02-21-2012, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

The issue with games is that there is no "bitstreaming" of the soundtrack. The audio is being mixed in realtime as you play the game (i.e., you turn around and suddenly the location of gunfire moves to another speaker). The original audio assets are mixed in realtime to a multichannel PCM stream, which is what you'd want output from the PS3 for the highest fidelity. Encoding that stream as DD or DTS would result in a lossy version of the stream (which is really only useful if your AVR only supports those formats). And it doesn't really make any sense to encode the PCM stream as TrueHD or DTS-HD MA because you're not storing the audio files, so saving space is meaningless.
post #31616 of 32090 Old 02-21-2012, 12:52 PM

If everything set to bitstream how the game been played as A/V receiver shows PCM. So you saying don't bother and change everything to PCM and even True-HD audio let PS3 to do prossessing? For me doesn't really matter I guess either PS3 makes it or A/V receiver probably both ends up the same sound but only good thing if A/V receiver makes the prossessing you see in on A/V screen HD-Audio or whatever format that is other way you only see PCM doesn't matter with whatever the audio format is.
post #31617 of 32090 Old 02-26-2012, 08:03 AM
Advanced Member

AFAIK, the PS3 doesn't do this? Any chance Sony will ever add it?

Anything new on the 3D HDMI audio issue?
post #31618 of 32090 Old 02-26-2012, 01:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

My PS3 gave me a scare yesterday. Although my nearly 3 year old Logitech Harmony remote for the PS3 had always worked perfectly, including the last time I played a BD and then turned off the system with it, yesterday the PS3 and the remote lost communication. I finally figured out how to re pair the Logitech Harmony remote with the PS3 and once that was done it worked perfectly again. Go figure.
post #31619 of 32090 Old 02-26-2012, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

My PS3 gave me a scare yesterday. Although my nearly 3 year old Logitech Harmony remote for the PS3 had always worked perfectly, including the last time I played a BD and then turned off the system with it, yesterday the PS3 and the remote lost communication. I finally figured out how to re pair the Logitech Harmony remote with the PS3 and once that was done it worked perfectly again. Go figure.

Another blue tooth device probably interfered. It's rare, but it does happen.
post #31620 of 32090 Old 02-26-2012, 05:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 120inna55 View Post

Another blue tooth device probably interfered. It's rare, but it does happen.

Could be. The PS3 is paired with my Bluetooth keyboard but I only use the keyboard with my HTPC. Recently I have been using the keyboard much more than I ever had before. Thus, I suspect interference from the keyboard may have caused the Logitech Harmony remote and the PS3 to forget they knew each other.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Blu Ray Players , Blu Ray Movies , Sony , Toshiba , Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page