AVS Forum banner
5M views 32K replies 4K participants last post by  bradman 
#1 ·
#21,101 ·
I have a question about my flash drive(8g) on the ps3 usb port. i have a flash drive with mp3 music and also have music videos. How come when i play the mp3 music it continues to play like a shuttle mode but when i want to play the music videos it won't play in a shuttle mode? (play video after video) the video just stops when the song is over, then i have to hit next on the remote in order to play the next music video which sucks somtimes. Any opinions?? thanks

P.S I just got a ps3 but haven't updated firmware.I think i still have the 2.1 firmware.Don't have it connected online but can i just load to my flash drive then download it to my ps3? sorry for the confusion

#21,102 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickview /forum/post/14440039

P.S I just got a ps3 but haven't updated firmware.I think i still have the 2.1 firmware.Don't have it connected online but can i just load to my flash drive then download it to my ps3? sorry for the confusion

Yes. You need to load it to a particular directory. The firmware download site on playstation.com should have details on the directory structure you need to create.

#21,103 ·
My ps 3 is no longer sending anything over hdmi...hooked to a marantz 7002...not sure what happened, its not the receiver because I switched other hdmi connections and everything worked fine except the ps 3. Iam sending the ps 3 over to a panasonic 2000 projector. Any suggestions...thanks

#21,105 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcoop /forum/post/14440190

My ps 3 is no longer sending anything over hdmi...hooked to a marantz 7002...not sure what happened, its not the receiver because I switched other hdmi connections and everything worked fine except the ps 3. Iam sending the ps 3 over to a panasonic 2000 projector. Any suggestions...thanks

Reset the video in the PS3. Power it off with the front button. Turn the back panel power switch off and then on again. Press and hold the front button for 5 to 10 seconds. The PS3 video will reset and you can try to go through the automatic HDMI setup again.

If that doesn't do it for you, get a flashlight and carefully examine the plugs and sockets at both ends of the cable looking for pin damage. If you find pin damage try a new cable. HDMI plugs and sockets can be damaged far too easily.

If that also doesn't yield an answer you will likely need to give Sony support a call.

--Bob

#21,106 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau /forum/post/14438167

Anything with a disc drive in it should be on a battery UPS in my opinion. That includes the PS3 and all DVR devices. I also suggest use of a battery UPS with any device that has such a long boot up time that it would be annoying to have to wait for that after a power glitch.

--Bob

Just to throw in another good point the UPS should have "AVR" Automatic Voltage Regulation this is particulary useful here in florida.

personally i took my dvr's off my ups as they are power hogs and since i don't own them i simply don't care.

On flat panel tvs a ups is criticle as the tv uses cooling fans and if the power goes out those fans will not run and could damage the tv.

#21,107 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappyxavs /forum/post/14440301

personally i took my dvr's off my ups as they are power hogs

What does that have to do with anything? The are using the same amount of power on or off the UPS. Their power draw would only come into play if the power went out and I hope that doesn't happen very often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappyxavs /forum/post/14440301

On flat panel tvs a ups is criticle as the tv uses cooling fans and if the power goes out those fans will not run and could damage the tv.

But if the power goes out, the TV will go out too. Do your fans continue to run after your shut off your TV?

#21,111 ·
Most if not all residential surge supressors are simply worthless..I haven't seen anything under 2K that will give you any worth while protection..I wouldn't waste a penny on ANY plug in surge protector AS a surge protector. Whole house protection is where I'd start.. And sorry the plug ins are no better than nothing at all..One more time just in cause ya'll don't undrestand..THEY ARE A WASTE OF MONEY And UPS's are almost as worthless too.I have literally seen hundreds and hundreds computers improperly shut down due to power outges.. I have never seen one computer not boot up that was improperly shut down from an outage.. NOT ONE!!!..sure you loose your data if you didn't back up as you go.. but they all booted up.. We deal with this all the time.. Our statement is always.. "I don't have one.. but if it makes you sleep better buy one".. yeah surge protectors and UPS's look real good on paper but in the feild they just don't hold up to the marketing claims...

#21,112 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1brokebrother /forum/post/14441768

Most if not all residential surge supressors are simply worthless..I haven't seen anything under 2K that will give you any worth while protection..I wouldn't waste a penny on ANY plug in surge protector AS a surge protector. Whole house protection is where I'd start.. And sorry the plug ins are no better than nothing at all..One more time just in cause ya'll don't undrestand..THEY ARE A WASTE OF MONEY And UPS's are almost as worthless too.I have literally seen hundreds and hundreds computers improperly shut down due to power outges.. I have never seen one computer not boot up that was improperly shut down from an outage.. NOT ONE!!!..sure you loose your data if you didn't back up as you go.. but they all booted up.. We deal with this all the time.. Our statement is always.. "I don't have one.. but if it makes you sleep better buy one".. yeah surge protectors and UPS's look real good on paper but in the feild they just don't hold up to the marketing claims...

Wow, want to try and back up all this nonsense? With, maybe, Facts?

#21,114 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1brokebrother /forum/post/14441768

Well there is an opinion (and a really bad one at that).

I am an engineer and used to work with telco surge suppression to prevent your home from going up in flames when lighting hits the telephone line. Yes surge suppression works and prevents fires. I have tested cheap MOV and a lot of other suppression devices and they all work. Some work better then others. We used lighting strike simulators.

Nothing will prevent loss of your equipment if the strike is right at your residence. But thanks to cheap surge suppressors you can easily save your equipment and prevent your home from starting on fire do to strikes 1-2 block away from your home.

For real life experience with this cheap suppression equipment, I setup my brother, that lives at 10,000 ft elevation and lost at least one piece of home audio equipment every year, up with normal $60-$100 surge suppressors and he has not lost any equipment in 3+ years.

I have seen plenty of modems and computer power supplies destroyed by indirect lighting strikes. I have never lost a piece of equipment that was surge protected due to lighting since 1985. I have a UPS on my TV with automatic voltage regulation to allow the fan to cool the bulb during a power outage and the bulb with the ups has lasted 4 time longer (and still working) then the bulb that I ran without the UPS.

They seem to work to me. I think the poster is in the computer repair business and is tired of losing customers. Go away troll.....

#21,117 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau /forum/post/14440229

Reset the video in the PS3. Power it off with the front button. Turn the back panel power switch off and then on again. Press and hold the front button for 5 to 10 seconds. The PS3 video will reset and you can try to go through the automatic HDMI setup again.

If that doesn't do it for you, get a flashlight and carefully examine the plugs and sockets at both ends of the cable looking for pin damage. If you find pin damage try a new cable. HDMI plugs and sockets can be damaged far too easily.

If that also doesn't yield an answer you will likely need to give Sony support a call.

--Bob

Thanks...tried a new cable and it appears its a bad hdmi cable.

#21,118 ·
On the surge protector, I bought a sizeable Monster (yes I know, but that was before AVS) surge proector/power cleaner.

It make me feel like I've done something to protect the pretty penny I've spent on electirc toys. And the several power outages that have happened have not had an adverse effect on them either.

Can't tell if that helped as I have no plans to try without it.

BrokeBrother can play without protection if he chooses. I just hope he doesn't get burnt.

Seggers

#21,119 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman325 /forum/post/14432130

I'm sure this has been covered, but has anyone who has the current 80 GB model (that came in the MGS4 bundle) tried mounting any cooling fans in the back of your ET stand? My PS3 fan runs at the highest speed while watching BDs, and it can be distracting at times. I think part of my problem is that the PS3 sits in an ET stand above my AV receiver and is closed in on 3 sides. I've expanded the opening in the back significantly (behind the receiver and PS3) and it didn't seem to help much. My AV receiver doesn't seem to be anything more than warm IMO, but I'm sure it's not helping the situation any either. I am considering putting either one or maybe 2 fans in the back of my ET stand behind the receiver and PS3. I'm currently looking at fans for CPUs. If I go with 2 , should I have one blowing in and one blowing out, or both going the same way? If I only go with one, which way should I set it to move air, in or out? Or are there bigger and better fans I should be looking at? My goal is to find a solution that will keep my PS3 fan speed in the first 1 or 2 speeds, but I don't want to install fans in my ET stand that will run just as loud. I'm looking to reduce the fan noise from the system. I appreciate any advice anyone could give me. Moving the PS3 out or rearranging the way components are situated in the ET stand aren't really options, due to logistics and size constraints. Thank you.

I have the same 80G MGS4 PS3 in a fully closed cabinet. This is how i cool it under Fan 2 speeds.

Make 4 120mm holes at the back of the cabinet

I bought this item BXT Ultra Quiet 120mm
http://www.buyextras.com/evc120x120x2.html

USB powered from PS3.

I can close the door.

I bought this Scythe Sony S-FLEX 120mm Ultra Quiet Fan for my Denon 1909 as well
http://www.buyextras.com/cocofankiscs.html

I can post some pictures if you want.

#21,120 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoh /forum/post/14442910

I have the same 80G MGS4 PS3 in a fully closed cabinet. This is how i cool it under Fan 2 speeds.

Make 4 120mm holes at the back of the cabinet

I bought this item BXT Ultra Quiet 120mm
http://www.buyextras.com/evc120x120x2.html

USB powered from PS3.

I can close the door.

I bought this Scythe Sony S-FLEX 120mm Ultra Quiet Fan for my Denon 1909 as well
http://www.buyextras.com/cocofankiscs.html

I can post some pictures if you want.

In these situations, do you want the fans blowing air on the equipment, or suck air away from the equipment? I have enough pet hair in my house, I'd hate to direct any more of it towards my gear

FWIW, I don't have an enclosed cabinet so maybe its different in different scenarios. I also don't have any fan noise problems (except my MOXI DVR, which isnt going to get quieter) --- I'm more asking as a matter of theory.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.