One-and-Only PS3 as Blu-Ray Player Thread - Page 1057 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31681 of 32090 Old 03-26-2012, 09:07 AM
Advanced Member
 
toofast68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NorthEast Ohio, USA
Posts: 938
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugnax555 View Post

If you don't even hear the disc spinning up after insertion, the problem (to me) sounds like it's the motor assembly that's shot -- not the laser. The laser assembly may still be perfectly fine.

Oh crap...problem is I don't know what I know how to tell

Is there a way to TEST before I start buying stuff ?
toofast68 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #31682 of 32090 Old 03-26-2012, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member
 
WhatHappend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Southern MN
Posts: 1,791
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofast68 View Post

Oh crap...problem is I don't know what I know how to tell

Is there a way to TEST before I start buying stuff ?

Try and get a SLIM upgrade from SONY for $100?

If you don't have the technical ability to troubleshoot and find out what parts you need, you will most likely end up wasting your money.
WhatHappend is offline  
post #31683 of 32090 Old 03-26-2012, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member
 
toofast68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NorthEast Ohio, USA
Posts: 938
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatHappend View Post

Try and get a SLIM upgrade from SONY for $100?

If you don't have the technical ability to troubleshoot and find out what parts you need, you will most likely end up wasting your money.

Well I am fairly technical, it is just impossible to try and find concise information. Meaning I've google my brian's out and I see hundreds of different choices.

Hoping someone on this forum could provide a link or explain (bullet points) what I should be looking for.

I will see if I can get Sony on the upgrade...any idea how to go about that ?
toofast68 is online now  
post #31684 of 32090 Old 03-26-2012, 12:03 PM
Senior Member
 
Tom Thomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Walls, MS
Posts: 243
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofast68 View Post

I will see if I can get Sony on the upgrade...any idea how to go about that ?

I'd like to find out more about this, as well...
Tom Thomas is offline  
post #31685 of 32090 Old 03-26-2012, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JChin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Mesquite Tx
Posts: 8,431
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofast68 View Post

I will see if I can get Sony on the upgrade...any idea how to go about that ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Thomas View Post

I'd like to find out more about this, as well...

Hi toofast8 and Tom Thomas, click -> here or you can call in -> PlayStation Support line at 1-800-345-7669
JChin is offline  
post #31686 of 32090 Old 03-26-2012, 01:09 PM
Advanced Member
 
toofast68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NorthEast Ohio, USA
Posts: 938
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi toofast8 and Tom Thomas, click -> here or you can call in -> PlayStation Support line at 1-800-345-7669

That link comes up forbidden....
toofast68 is online now  
post #31687 of 32090 Old 03-26-2012, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JChin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Mesquite Tx
Posts: 8,431
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofast68 View Post

That link comes up forbidden....

Sorry, must be my work restriction just google PS3 Exchange Program.
JChin is offline  
post #31688 of 32090 Old 03-26-2012, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member
 
swarm87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: rhode island
Posts: 891
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofast68 View Post

Oh crap...problem is I don't know what I know how to tell

Is there a way to TEST before I start buying stuff ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatHappend View Post

Try and get a SLIM upgrade from SONY for $100?

If you don't have the technical ability to troubleshoot and find out what parts you need, you will most likely end up wasting your money.

if you have a 60gb(the only good fat model as it has the card reader and BC) its worth sending it in to get fixed i got a "referb" 60g and it looks brand new. if not id send it into sony to get a slim, its better to spend 100 rather than buy parts, start messing around and possibly get stuck and pay retail for a new one

pcm=potato
bitstream=patato
swarm87 is online now  
post #31689 of 32090 Old 03-26-2012, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member
 
toofast68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NorthEast Ohio, USA
Posts: 938
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Sorry, must be my work restriction just google PS3 Exchange Program.

Oh well, called support and have 30 minutes I was told too bad soo sad.

NO SLIM UPGRADE availble for me.

However for $99 plus tax I can get it fixed at the "service center".
toofast68 is online now  
post #31690 of 32090 Old 03-26-2012, 05:44 PM
Member
 
splode's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Missouri
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
toofast68, I have replaced the laser assembly in my PS3. You will have to disassemble your PS3 and get eyes on the assembly to see what part number you will need. It seems that if you get the whole drive assembly it will cost more, but if you don't know if you need the drive or the laser, that may be the best way to go.

Mine would not play dvds or BR and I believe I just replaced the laser. It's an easy replace. If you can get the PS3 apart, you can replace the laser. Just have to be careful with the ribbon connection. Replaced mine over a year ago, and is still going strong.

PM me if interested in where I purchased my part. My understanding though, is that you have to get eyes on the part number to make sure you get the right one. Dis-assembly is difficult at first, but if you do it once, it is alot faster the second, third time.
splode is offline  
post #31691 of 32090 Old 03-26-2012, 06:02 PM
Advanced Member
 
toofast68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NorthEast Ohio, USA
Posts: 938
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by splode View Post

toofast68, I have replaced the laser assembly in my PS3. You will have to disassemble your PS3 and get eyes on the assembly to see what part number you will need. It seems that if you get the whole drive assembly it will cost more, but if you don't know if you need the drive or the laser, that may be the best way to go.

Mine would not play dvds or BR and I believe I just replaced the laser. It's an easy replace. If you can get the PS3 apart, you can replace the laser. Just have to be careful with the ribbon connection. Replaced mine over a year ago, and is still going strong.

PM me if interested in where I purchased my part. My understanding though, is that you have to get eyes on the part number to make sure you get the right one. Dis-assembly is difficult at first, but if you do it once, it is alot faster the second, third time.

I wonder if it is worth the $50 I will save...if Sony fixes it at least I have a 3 month warranty. well, you give me faith that I can do it on my own...i still wish I knew how to tell for sure it is the laser vs. the whole drive.
toofast68 is online now  
post #31692 of 32090 Old 03-26-2012, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
drhankz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 6,423
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofast68 View Post

I wonder if it is worth the $50 I will save...if Sony fixes it at least I have a 3 month warranty. well, you give me faith that I can do it on my own...i still wish I knew how to tell for sure it is the laser vs. the whole drive.

I HIGHLY recommend the SONY Repair Facility and SERVICE.

I own 3 Fat PS3s.

The 1st one was reconditioned - it came back NEW.
drhankz is offline  
post #31693 of 32090 Old 03-27-2012, 11:58 AM
Member
 
kberta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnu View Post

I didn't say that PS3 buyers with HDTV's wouldn't buy or rent Blu-ray movies. In fact, I agree that a PS3 owner who also has an HDTV is very probably going to buy or rent at least 1 Blu-ray movie. I question the result that 80+% of PS3 owners would buy Blu-ray movies when a very large percentage of them don't have HDTV's. It could be that gamers have a higher percentage ownership of HDTV's (but I haven't seen any statistics one way or another) and there is nothing to extrapolate from that poll either way.

Those are some interesting numbers; where did you get them from? I love looking into stats like those.
kberta is offline  
post #31694 of 32090 Old 03-27-2012, 05:11 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
mystic_sniper28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,345
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
taker ya pick hdmi or multi av connection...

s-video/stereo with toslink digital
s-video/multichan analog.
component/stereo
component/5.1-7.1
got a joytech switch the can do toslink and so forth

the lowest connnection on any hd type tv will either be a composite stereo/svideo stereo or composite stereo..

loooking at my bravia 32" it's the either composite or component with shared stereo, kind of wondered why they didn't use s-video ad the lowest option on resolution..

lower connection will e composite to vcr/dvr connection..
mystic_sniper28 is offline  
post #31695 of 32090 Old 03-29-2012, 04:40 AM
AVS Special Member
 
PTAaron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 1,105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I feel like I'm going insane - anyone ever have issues with their PS3 randomly turning itself on?

4 times in the last 2 weeks I've walked into my room to find the PS3 running when I know it was off. 3 of the times it was sealed behind plastic since the room was having drywall work and painting done - so it wasn't in use at all.
I do have the harmony remote adapter - maybe that is malfunctioning?

Anyone else?

-Aaron
My Basement Movie Room and Bar/Game Room - actually doing stuff now... please comment!
PTAaron is offline  
post #31696 of 32090 Old 03-29-2012, 06:49 AM
Senior Member
 
Nick_WI's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Wisconsin, U.S.A.
Posts: 439
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTAaron View Post

I feel like I'm going insane - anyone ever have issues with their PS3 randomly turning itself on?

4 times in the last 2 weeks I've walked into my room to find the PS3 running when I know it was off. 3 of the times it was sealed behind plastic since the room was having drywall work and painting done - so it wasn't in use at all.
I do have the harmony remote adapter - maybe that is malfunctioning?

Anyone else?

I used to have this problem when I used the Sony remote. It turned out that pressing any button on the remote turned on the PS3. I have a Harmony remote now and have not had problems.

Do you have a remote or controller somewhere that is being pressed?

***Credis Quod Habes Et Habes***

Nick_WI is offline  
post #31697 of 32090 Old 03-29-2012, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
PTAaron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 1,105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_WI View Post

I used to have this problem when I used the Sony remote. It turned out that pressing any button on the remote turned on the PS3. I have a Harmony remote now and have not had problems.

Do you have a remote or controller somewhere that is being pressed?

I have the Sony remote somewhere - but I don't think it has batteries in it. 3 of the times that it happened the controllers were both sealed up on the equipment shelves with the PS3 behind a layer of plastic - had to cut a hole to reach in and turn it off since it wasn't responding to the harmony remote's command to turn off.

-Aaron
My Basement Movie Room and Bar/Game Room - actually doing stuff now... please comment!
PTAaron is offline  
post #31698 of 32090 Old 03-30-2012, 06:52 AM
Advanced Member
 
toofast68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NorthEast Ohio, USA
Posts: 938
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Earlier in this thread everybody help me figure out I have a dead old FAT PS3 (either laser or drive unit)...I know I can try to fix myself, but with a 2 year old and work travel, my time is limited.

So any reason WHY I should not just get a $99 refurbished FAT again vs. paying $199 for a refurbished "skinny" newer PS3. I have a stand along BluRay player so my PS3 is really only used for occasional gaming and as a backup BluRay Player.

I have no problems spending the extra $100, but I am sure I can justify it...any advice would be appreciated.
toofast68 is online now  
post #31699 of 32090 Old 03-30-2012, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member
 
drhankz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 6,423
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofast68 View Post

Earlier in this thread everybody help me figure out I have a dead old FAT PS3 (either laser or drive unit)...I know I can try to fix myself, but with a 2 year old and work travel, my time is limited.

So any reason WHY I should not just get a $99 refurbished FAT again vs. paying $199 for a refurbished "skinny" newer PS3. I have a stand along BluRay player so my PS3 is really only used for occasional gaming and as a backup BluRay Player.

I have no problems spending the extra $100, but I am sure I can justify it...any advice would be appreciated.

As I said BEFORE
drhankz is offline  
post #31700 of 32090 Old 03-30-2012, 07:29 AM
Member
 
joepags's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 134
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofast68 View Post

Earlier in this thread everybody help me figure out I have a dead old FAT PS3 (either laser or drive unit)...I know I can try to fix myself, but with a 2 year old and work travel, my time is limited.

So any reason WHY I should not just get a $99 refurbished FAT again vs. paying $199 for a refurbished "skinny" newer PS3. I have a stand along BluRay player so my PS3 is really only used for occasional gaming and as a backup BluRay Player.

I have no problems spending the extra $100, but I am sure I can justify it...any advice would be appreciated.

I have a fat and a slim. I hate the fat for two reasons: 1) it runs super hot, thereby creating problem 2) the cooling fan runs constantly and it's LOUD.

In addition to the slim correcting these problems, the slim will also pass bitstream if you want your avr to decode the audio instead of the ps3.
joepags is offline  
post #31701 of 32090 Old 03-30-2012, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member
 
toofast68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NorthEast Ohio, USA
Posts: 938
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

As I said BEFORE

Yes---I am not IGNORING your comment...just looking for a reason to upgrade I think

But honestly...I think I am afriad the FAT will die again and another $99 repair and I could have bought the slim.

Do we know if the SLIM has a MUCH better survival rate vs. the FAT ?
toofast68 is online now  
post #31702 of 32090 Old 03-30-2012, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member
 
drhankz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 6,423
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofast68 View Post

Yes---I am not IGNORING your comment...just looking for a reason to upgrade I think

But honestly...I think I am afriad the FAT will die again and another $99 repair and I could have bought the slim.

Do we know if the SLIM has a MUCH better survival rate vs. the FAT ?

YOU GET A GUARANTEE with the repair - same length as SLIM.
drhankz is offline  
post #31703 of 32090 Old 03-30-2012, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member
 
toofast68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NorthEast Ohio, USA
Posts: 938
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

YOU GET A GUARANTEE with the repair - same length as SLIM.

Yep, 90 days they told me...and yes 90 days for refurb slim for $199

Just wondering after the 90 days WHAT DEVICE is more reliable long term...I don't want to keep shelling out $$
toofast68 is online now  
post #31704 of 32090 Old 03-30-2012, 08:30 AM
Newbie
 
Andrew Schatz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepags View Post

I have a fat and a slim. I hate the fat for two reasons: 1) it runs super hot, thereby creating problem 2) the cooling fan runs constantly and it's LOUD.

In addition to the slim correcting these problems, the slim will also pass bitstream if you want your avr to decode the audio instead of the ps3.

I had the fat as well. It had issues all the time with over heating. I have the slim now and love it.
Andrew Schatz is offline  
post #31705 of 32090 Old 03-30-2012, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member
 
drhankz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 6,423
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofast68 View Post

Yep, 90 days they told me...and yes 90 days for refurb slim for $199

Just wondering after the 90 days WHAT DEVICE is more reliable long term...I don't want to keep shelling out $$

The question to ask is: HOW LONG DID YOUR FAT LAST?
drhankz is offline  
post #31706 of 32090 Old 03-30-2012, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member
 
toofast68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NorthEast Ohio, USA
Posts: 938
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

The question to ask is: HOW LONG DID YOUR FAT LAST?

Well, elapsed time or time in use?

I barely EVER USED it, so if it lasted 100 hours I would be amazed.

I would expect something to last more than 100 hours.

Elapsed time...well 4-5 years.
toofast68 is online now  
post #31707 of 32090 Old 03-30-2012, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member
 
WhatHappend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Southern MN
Posts: 1,791
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofast68 View Post

Well, elapsed time or time in use?

I barely EVER USED it, so if it lasted 100 hours I would be amazed.

I would expect something to last more than 100 hours.

Elapsed time...well 4-5 years.

I know that I shouldn't jinks myself, but I own 2 phats (original 40GB, and 80GB MGS4 with some PS2 backwards compatibility).

These things don't owe me anything at this point. The 40GB phat has played every Bluray disc that wasn't cracked from Netflix and Blockbuster and the 80GB has so many gaming hours by my son that I can't believe it still read Game discs like it was new. It has played every PS3 game disc he has rented (blockbuster and local) except 1. The 80GB ps3 is also transported 6 times a year for vacations.

I have rented hundreds of Blurays since I have owned them.

My home has quality electrostatic dust filters on the furnace with regular circulation times scheduled and some standalone air filters. My home is always maintained below 75degrees. I wonder if heat kills peoples PS3s?
WhatHappend is offline  
post #31708 of 32090 Old 03-30-2012, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member
 
drhankz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 6,423
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofast68 View Post

Well, elapsed time or time in use?

I barely EVER USED it, so if it lasted 100 hours I would be amazed.

I would expect something to last more than 100 hours.

Elapsed time...well 4-5 years.

LACK OF USE is not good - only 25 hours per year or 2 hours per month.

I have used my fats for 200 hours per year.

I believe there was an early laser problem that has been gone for a long
time - a refurbed fat or slim should be fine and the only thing you get
with a slim is the TrueHD or DTS-MA light on your AVR to come on.
drhankz is offline  
post #31709 of 32090 Old 03-31-2012, 01:25 PM
Newbie
 
mzamudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post


LACK OF USE is not good - only 25 hours per year or 2 hours per month.

I have used my fats for 200 hours per year.

I believe there was an early laser problem that has been gone for a long
time - a refurbed fat or slim should be fine and the only thing you get
with a slim is the TrueHD or DTS-MA light on your AVR to come on.

... Instead of SACD playback
mzamudio is offline  
post #31710 of 32090 Old 04-01-2012, 01:56 PM
Senior Member
 
TheGigaShadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 314
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by kberta View Post

Those are some interesting numbers; where did you get them from? I love looking into stats like those.

That post you responded to is more than six years old. Even if those numbers were accurate at the time, they definitely aren't anymore.
TheGigaShadow is offline  
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Blu Ray Players , Blu Ray Movies , Sony , Toshiba , Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off