AVS Forum banner
5M views 32K replies 4K participants last post by  bradman 
#1 ·
#21,142 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark /forum/post/14444623

Why should he mess with optical in a 2-channel system? The PS3 will provide 2-channel downmixes of all codecs via analog that are as good as any 2-channel output from a PS3 can be.

The receiver's DAC's are probably better than the PS3's DAC's. That would be the reason I would use optical (2 channel PCM) for a 2-channel system.

#21,145 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssabripo /forum/post/14444750

quick question for you guys:

a colleague has the PS3 with the latest firmware, etc. He assures me that he cannot get DTS-MA to play in any mode other than 5.1.....truHD and LPCM work perfectly fine with 7.1, but DTS-MA only does 5.1 in his setup.

is this the case?

is there something special he has to do to get it to work?

Not sure quite what you're saying. I assume he's got the PS3 set to LPCM output so he's got the PS3 decoding the DTS HDMA and Dolby TrueHD.

Are you saying that he only gets 5.1 channel output from the PS3 with DTS HDMA while he gets 7.1 output with TrueHD and PCM soundtracks or are you saying that his receiver won't process 5.1 signals sourced from a DTS HDMA soundtrack to 7.1 while it will for the other soundtracks?

If it's the first of those options, is he only playing discs with 5.1 HDMA soundtracks. Not all HDMA soundtracks are 7.1. My PS3 puts out 5.1, 6.1 and 7.1 channel LPCM from HDMA depending on how many channels were mastered in the soundtrack and I can't imagine what would cause a PS3 to foul that up. It can't process a 5.1 track to 7.1 but it certainly does decode the number of tracks contained in the soundtrack and pass that number to the receiver.

If the receiver is getting a 5.1 channel track and won't process it to 7.1 if it comes from HDMA but will if it comes from a TrueHD or uncompressed PCM soundtrack, once again I don't know what's happening. The receiver is getting an LPCM signal regardless of the source and it shouldn't be able to tell what the source of the soundtrack on the disc is so how could it distinguish between them?

For the record I've got discs with 5.1, 6.1 and 7.1 HDMA soundtracks but I think I've only ever seen 5.1 uncompressed PCM and TrueHD soundtracks. That doesn't mean that there aren't some 6.1 or 7.1 True HD or uncompressed PCM tracks around, just that I haven't seen any movies I remember with such a track.

#21,146 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesia /forum/post/14440687

What does that have to do with anything? The are using the same amount of power on or off the UPS. Their power draw would only come into play if the power went out and I hope that doesn't happen very often.

But if the power goes out, the TV will go out too. Do your fans continue to run after your shut off your TV?

>The ups is not there to run the ps3 durring a power outage it is there to regulate the power supply and if there is a power glitch keep the ps3 powered if it is downloading FW other wise the ups supplies stand-by power while the ps3 is off or if the ps3 is on it gives me time to power off properly. the dvr is a energy hog and will only succeed in draining the ups in no time thus shortining the batttery life. since i don't own the DVR i don't care if it lives or dies.

>the fans continue to run after power off like your cars radiator fan. if you have a black out and the fans needed to run then you are SOL if you are lucky there is no damage if not then it's time to use the warrantee providing it will cover damage due to power failure as when the shop tests the fans they will operate which gives them a excuse to deny service under the

warrantee.

#21,150 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco70 /forum/post/14441944

Wow, want to try and back up all this nonsense? With, maybe, Facts?

what's really nonsense is that fact you guys think a $300-$500

surge suppresor will protect you from line voltages.. and FORGET about Lighting.. if it makes you feel better go for it.. I/we the guys in the industry don't waste our money..

#21,151 ·
I know that this has probably been asked a million times but I couldn't execute the correct search to locate the answer.

How do I know what audio output I'm getting? On a movie I want to know if I'm getting Dolby True HD vs. Dolby Plus or PCM vs. Dolby, etc.... because my receiver only says "PCM." I frequently try to press "audio" on the remote and usually have option 1: English; 2 French; 3 Spanish, etc... but no 1: English (with Dolby), 2: English w/ PCM.

I'm running an HDMI cable to a Pioneer Elite VSX92; I hope that I've checked the correct boxes in the "options > audio" section.

As best I can figure, the only way is to select/double-check the audio in the title menu.

But is there a way for me to double-check within the PS3 to figure the bandwidth (or whatever word I can't think of).

Thanks!

#21,152 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by shikarum /forum/post/14449928

I know that this has probably been asked a million times but I couldn't execute the correct search to locate the answer.

How do I know what audio output I'm getting? On a movie I want to know if I'm getting Dolby True HD vs. Dolby Plus or PCM vs. Dolby, etc.... because my receiver only says "PCM." I frequently try to press "audio" on the remote and usually have option 1: English; 2 French; 3 Spanish, etc... but no 1: English (with Dolby), 2: English w/ PCM.

I'm running an HDMI cable to a Pioneer Elite VSX92; I hope that I've checked the correct boxes in the "options > audio" section.

As best I can figure, the only way is to select/double-check the audio in the title menu.

But is there a way for me to double-check within the PS3 to figure the bandwidth (or whatever word I can't think of).

Thanks!

With the PS3 set to PCM output over HDMI, make sure you select the PCM/TrueHD/DTS-HD:MA track on the movie - usually through the movie's menu. Once the movie starts playing you can press "Select" on the PS3 and it will bring up a display in the top right showing what audio codec you're listening to.

#21,153 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugg77 /forum/post/14450026

I think the posters are just wondering why you don't back this up with some science as to why the surge supressors/UPS are "worthless"... this is, after all, a "science" forum.

And your posting style is a little, um, abrasive.

+1, plus we only have your word (Broker Bother) for what you say.

The usual fav one around here is links.

So how about you post some of those expert links huh? Then we thickos can go look for ourselves and be in wonderment of your expertness....

Seggers

#21,154 ·
#21,155 ·

Ahh, but that stuffs been put together by engineers, and as you can tell from his sig and posts, engineers don't know anything (he apparently has total disdain for any sort of actual, y'know, knowledge). Not to mention, according to him, if a computer boots, then it must be perfectly fine. Nevermind those of us who have admin'd networks of hundreds or thousands of computers knowing that this is far from the case. And I'm talking hardware issues, not software. Burst caps, unstable power supplies, frayed cables with intermittent shorts, fans on their way out, etc etc etc. But hey, if it boots then nothing's wrong with it.

#21,156 ·
i was wondering if i upgrade my cables going from the ps3 to my reciever and from the reciever(no up-conversion just passthrough) will i get noticeably better picture and sound?

the cable i have is a discontinued 1.2a cable(6 feet) that i got from monoprice., it says that it is 1.3 device compatable.

the cable i have:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...#specification

#21,158 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoh /forum/post/14442910

I have the same 80G MGS4 PS3 in a fully closed cabinet. This is how i cool it under Fan 2 speeds.

Make 4 120mm holes at the back of the cabinet

I bought this item BXT Ultra Quiet 120mm
http://www.buyextras.com/evc120x120x2.html

USB powered from PS3.

I can close the door.

I bought this Scythe Sony S-FLEX 120mm Ultra Quiet Fan for my Denon 1909 as well
http://www.buyextras.com/cocofankiscs.html

I can post some pictures if you want.

Thank you very much for the reply. This is exactly the kind of experience I was hoping for. Do you have your fans blowing cool air in or pulling hot air out, or maybe one going each way? I would love to see some pics please. Thanks again.

#21,159 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugg77 /forum/post/14450026

I think the posters are just wondering why you don't back this up with some science as to why the surge supressors/UPS are "worthless"... this is, after all, a "science" forum.

He won't. I asked him during his first go-round on this topic and he ignored it as if I was asking for trade secrets and in a condescending manner said "if you think it helps go buy one."

Brandon

#21,160 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bplewis24 /forum/post/14450770

He won't. I asked him during his first go-round on this topic and he ignored it as if I was asking for trade secrets and in a condescending manner said "if you think it helps go buy one."

Brandon

Yup. He might come back and call you names and tell you you're not very smart. But he certainly won't actually address the questions being asked. For examples, see these other times I've butt heads with him . Pretty funny stuff really.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.