One-and-Only PS3 as Blu-Ray Player Thread - Page 1058 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31711 of 32090 Old 04-01-2012, 03:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an older ps3 and a samsung pn51d6500. Tv looks great with hd cable, but blu rays from my ps3 are way too dark. Ive tried different combinations of settings and im using rgb limited with ypbcr and super white on. Is this a known issue with the ps3?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #31712 of 32090 Old 04-03-2012, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTAaron View Post

I have the Sony remote somewhere - but I don't think it has batteries in it. 3 of the times that it happened the controllers were both sealed up on the equipment shelves with the PS3 behind a layer of plastic - had to cut a hole to reach in and turn it off since it wasn't responding to the harmony remote's command to turn off.

I think I figured out the source of my problem - the Harmony PS3 adapter was "dying"! I noticed a few times that the LED on the adapter was off even though it was plugged in at the times that I discovered the PS3 on when it shouldn't have been. Last night I went down to use the PS3 and found that the LED was off - unplugging and plugging the adapter back in made the LED come on briefly before it shut down again. I'm assuming it has officially died at this point.
This was a "refurbished" Harmony adapter... I guess it wasn't refurbished very well.

-Aaron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- actually doing stuff now... please comment!
post #31713 of 32090 Old 04-03-2012, 12:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 495
Quote:

I think I figured out the source of my problem - the Harmony PS3 adapter was "dying"! I noticed a few times that the LED on the adapter was off even though it was plugged in at the times that I discovered the PS3 on when it shouldn't have been. Last night I went down to use the PS3 and found that the LED was off - unplugging and plugging the adapter back in made the LED come on briefly before it shut down again. I'm assuming it has officially died at this point.
This was a "refurbished" Harmony adapter... I guess it wasn't refurbished very well.

I have had a Logitech Harmony adapter for the PS3, which I bought new, for nearly three years. Until recently it had been working perfectly. Unfortunately, it has lost its Bluetooth connection with my PS3 a couple of times in recent weeks. I suspect this is because recently I have been using Bluetooth remote control apps on my Macbook Pro and iPad to control a Mac Mini, which I use as an HTPC. Assuming that's the case, I still give the Logitech Harmony adapter high marks.
post #31714 of 32090 Old 04-03-2012, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 370
I give high marks to no adapter whatsoever. I can do everything I need via bravia sync (HDMI CEC) for free. Codes and details are posted in the FAQ.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #31715 of 32090 Old 04-03-2012, 09:25 PM

Amazon streaming is know on the ps3 i have bin hoping for this since i have amazon prime. They need to add a queue though.
post #31716 of 32090 Old 04-03-2012, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

I give high marks to no adapter whatsoever. I can do everything I need via bravia sync (HDMI CEC) for free. Codes and details are posted in the FAQ.

That would be helpful to someone with sony equipment I suppose. Unfortunately that won't help my situation.

-Aaron

post #31717 of 32090 Old 04-04-2012, 05:12 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

That would be helpful to someone with sony equipment I suppose. Unfortunately that won't help my situation.

This talk of One Remote To Rule Them All still tickles me after all this time. Did your various components not come with remotes?

I still see nothing wrong with using a remote to do one job. Turn on the TV, put it down. Turn on the AVR, switch to the TV input (if it was left on the PS3 input), put it down. Pick up the TiVo remote and enjoy....

I guess I must have missed the fascination of these...

Seggers

Mits 73835, Denon X4000, Emotiva UPA5 (triggered), Wharfedale Pacific Evo 40s, CS, 10s, the internet, a NAS drive, a TiVo Series 3 and an Oppo 103 (bye bye PS3). There's also a Wii, but we don't talk about that...
post #31718 of 32090 Old 04-04-2012, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seggers View Post

This talk of One Remote To Rule Them All still tickles me after all this time. Did your various components not come with remotes?

I still see nothing wrong with using a remote to do one job. Turn on the TV, put it down. Turn on the AVR, switch to the TV input (if it was left on the PS3 input), put it down. Pick up the TiVo remote and enjoy....

Seggers

Why make life difficult and clutter up the space?
Push one button to turn on the ps3, turn on the tv, turn on AVR, set AVR to the correct input - or - find TV remote in remote pile, push on button, find AVR remote, push on button, remember which input the ps3 is on and push that button, find ps3 remote, push button to turn it on. For me the one button solution just makes more sense. I don't have a place to keep a pile of remotes, and I like being able to just hit the button and walk away to get my popcorn or whatever as the system fires up.
Combine that with equipment that not in line of sight with the remote - it just works better for me. It also lessens the number of times I have to help my wife figure out how to work the system. "push the button that says what you want to do" is easier to explain than "grab these 3 remotes from the pile of remotes, do these 5 steps, unless you want to use the Wii instead - then hit these button... And for the blu ray player use these remotes and these buttons".

Whatever works for you and makes you happy

-Aaron

post #31719 of 32090 Old 04-04-2012, 02:20 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by seggers View Post

Seggers

We are clearly in the minority on this one but I agree with you 100%. I only wish that all my remotes had Bluetooth like my PS3 remote. Not needing line of sight for it has spoiled me for all the others.
post #31720 of 32090 Old 04-04-2012, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Works with my toshiba too (their HDMI control is called regza link or something like that). It should work with anynet, viera link, etc., whatever your tv maker calls it. Of course your tv remote would need the transport controls on it. My toshiba uses them for playing slide shows, but also sends them over HDMI to my PS3 and every other player I've tried. It's worth a shot to just enable it and see what happens.

post #31721 of 32090 Old 04-04-2012, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Works with my toshiba too (their HDMI control is called regza link or something like that). It should work with anynet, viera link, etc., whatever your tv maker calls it. Of course your tv remote would need the transport controls on it. My toshiba uses them for playing slide shows, but also sends them over HDMI to my PS3 and every other player I've tried. It's worth a shot to just enable it and see what happens.

Oh really? Interesting... I will have to look into it a little more Does your Ps3 turn on every time the tv comes on? I know that when I had CEC turned on with my blu ray player it kept turning it on whenever the tv came on so I shut off CEC on the tv (Mitsubishi).

-Aaron

post #31722 of 32090 Old 04-04-2012, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Neither of my tv's do that, but they do work differently. The toshiba will turn on the PS3 when I select its input. I do have the option to turn that behavior off. My sony has a menu for controlling HDMI connected devices which can be set to turn them on when they are selected. Each tv has options to manage what level of automation and control I can have over HDMI connected devices. I have been able to set mine up without any undesired effects. The benefit for me is I have more control than I had using an IR dongle and none of the cost of a bluetooth solution like the logitech adapter.

post #31723 of 32090 Old 04-05-2012, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGigaShadow View Post

I only wish that all my remotes had Bluetooth like my PS3 remote. Not needing line of sight for it has spoiled me for all the others.

+1

Unless equipment is in line of sight and not too far away, IR controls are very unreliable. I love the PS3's Bluetooth remote.
post #31724 of 32090 Old 04-05-2012, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Neither of my tv's do that, but they do work differently. The toshiba will turn on the PS3 when I select its input. I do have the option to turn that behavior off. My sony has a menu for controlling HDMI connected devices which can be set to turn them on when they are selected. Each tv has options to manage what level of automation and control I can have over HDMI connected devices. I have been able to set mine up without any undesired effects. The benefit for me is I have more control than I had using an IR dongle and none of the cost of a bluetooth solution like the logitech adapter.

Thanks for the information!
I tried playing around last night but I'm not really sure what I'm doing...

-Aaron

post #31725 of 32090 Old 04-05-2012, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:

Hi mdavej, curious if you're running PS3 straight to the tv or running PS3 through AVR and then to the tv.
post #31726 of 32090 Old 04-05-2012, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Straight to tv in both cases.

post #31727 of 32090 Old 04-06-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:

Straight to tv in both cases.

I never really understood this but, does not HDMI to TV preclude the PS3 from sending the more recent audio codes (ie Dolby True HD, etc) to your AVR, resulting in only the older DD or DTS?
post #31728 of 32090 Old 04-06-2012, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by cal516 View Post

i never really understood this but, does not hdmi to tv preclude the ps3 from sending the more recent audio codes (ie dolby true hd, etc) to your avr, resulting in only the older dd or dts?

absolutely correct
post #31729 of 32090 Old 04-06-2012, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal516 View Post

I never really understood this but, does not HDMI to TV preclude the PS3 from sending the more recent audio codes (ie Dolby True HD, etc) to your AVR, resulting in only the older DD or DTS?

Another thing that precludes it is having no HDMI inputs on one's AVR, which happens to be the case with me ;-)

post #31730 of 32090 Old 04-07-2012, 01:10 PM

Quote:

Another thing that precludes it is having no HDMI inputs on one's AVR, which happens to be the case with me ;-)

Got it. That was the sole (well, at least biggest) motivator in my recent AVR (Onkyo 709) upgrade. HDMI has made my spaghetti wiring nightmare so, so much better! Of course, I have not figured out how to turn on the (fat) PS3 via HDMI from my AVR. Don't think it's possible.
post #31731 of 32090 Old 04-08-2012, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

im thinking of selling my infrequently used bdp-83 player in place of a new ps3. i currently have my oppo output to source direct into my scaler. does the ps3 do source direct? if not, is its internal scaler anywhere near the oppo's? im using it with a jvc rs35 pj and 130" screen so i can see when the image is inferior for scaling.

thx.

Dedicated Theater Construction Thread

Home Automation Construction Thread

post #31732 of 32090 Old 04-09-2012, 06:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Works with my toshiba too (their HDMI control is called regza link or something like that). It should work with anynet, viera link, etc., whatever your tv maker calls it.

Except LG's. There's only works with their own devices. So lame.
post #31733 of 32090 Old 04-09-2012, 07:09 AM

Could anyone explain the best way to configure my setup for audio with the ps3? It seems like some of you are saying straight to he tv is best?

I've got a lg 55lw5600, ps3 slim, and Panasonic 1021k reciever. The reciever and tv both have arc.
post #31734 of 32090 Old 04-09-2012, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by talk show host View Post

Could anyone explain the best way to configure my setup for audio with the ps3? It seems like some of you are saying straight to he tv is best?

I've got a lg 55lw5600, ps3 slim, and Panasonic 1021k reciever. The reciever and tv both have arc.

ALL ANSWERS are HERE - CLICK ON THIS LINK
post #31735 of 32090 Old 04-09-2012, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by talk show host View Post

Hi talk show host, wow a new model receiver . I believe you have a Pioneer 1021K receiver.

PS3 -> 1021K -> Tv (all via HDMI cables)
post #31736 of 32090 Old 04-10-2012, 07:23 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

I own (3) PS3s and the Panasonic BLOWS the PS3 away in all departments for a
PLAYER only You should buy a Panasonic DMP-BDT220. for less than $150 and
see what a 4th Generation PLAYER will do. That is my two cent recommendation.

The thin PS3 is NOT A DARN THING NEW.

Dr. hankz, I would like a bit more info on this. I have been using my slim PS3 for blu rays and games. I run it through my Yamaha reciever to my Panasonic ST30. I am wondering if I would actually notice much difference in PQ between the PS3 and the Pansonic player you mentioned to make the additional purchase worth it. I know this is subjective, but anything you can share that will help quantify the quality difference would be helpful. My PS3 is not broken, so i don't need to buy something (as was the case with the individual you directed your comments towards.)

I am however, somewhat of a videophile with champagne taste and a beer budget I can afford $150 purchase if it is a significant improvement in PQ. Also, how well does the Panasonic player compare to the PS3 in terms of upscaling dvd??
post #31737 of 32090 Old 04-10-2012, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't have the Panasonic - but between my sony 580 and the Ps3 there is no visible difference in picture quality when watching blu rays - honestly there shouldn't be should there? All it does is read the "ones and zeros" from the disc and send them to the TV, or am I missing something?

-Aaron

post #31738 of 32090 Old 04-10-2012, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtbreen76 View Post

Dr. hankz, I would like a bit more info on this. I have been using my slim PS3 for blu rays and games. I run it through my Yamaha reciever to my Panasonic ST30. I am wondering if I would actually notice much difference in PQ between the PS3 and the Pansonic player you mentioned to make the additional purchase worth it. I know this is subjective, but anything you can share that will help quantify the quality difference would be helpful. My PS3 is not broken, so i don't need to buy something (as was the case with the individual you directed your comments towards.)

I am however, somewhat of a videophile with champagne taste and a beer budget I can afford $150 purchase if it is a significant improvement in PQ. Also, how well does the Panasonic player compare to the PS3 in terms of upscaling dvd??

It is my TWO CENT opinion you would NOT see a difference for Blu-Ray DVDs.
Most people on AVS will Disagree. Blu-Ray is Lossless Digital. In Theory
all Blu-Ray Players for Blu-Ray movies should output the same strings
of 1's and 0's - that is why it is Lossless.

If you need other services offered by the 220 - that is a different issue.
post #31739 of 32090 Old 04-10-2012, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

IMO the latest sony's are a much better replacement for a PS3 than panasonic. They have the following that panny doesn't:

- Quality indicator
- DLNA (panny DLNA is extremely limited)
- Gracenote
- Bravia sync
- XBM

post #31740 of 32090 Old 04-10-2012, 08:21 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

It is my TWO CENT opinion you would NOT see a difference for Blu-Ray DVDs.
Most people on AVS will Disagree. Blu-Ray is Lossless Digital. In Theory
all Blu-Ray Players for Blu-Ray movies should output the same strings
of 1's and 0's - that is why it is Lossless.

If you need other services offered by the 220 - that is a different issue.

So in making the comment that you felt the panny player blows away the PS3, you are referring to some of the features that it offers, rather than the actual picture quality? Not trying to hold you to your words, just trying to understand better. Thank you for your time and input.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Blu Ray Players , Blu Ray Movies , Sony , Toshiba , Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page