One-and-Only PS3 as Blu-Ray Player Thread - Page 1060 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31771 of 32090 Old 04-23-2012, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 283
No problem. I just pulled the trigger on a S390 to replace my PS3 (for discs and streaming at least) and would have been mad if the PS3 was still better in spite of all I'd read.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #31772 of 32090 Old 04-23-2012, 08:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Was going to post this in Gaming (PlayStation area) but it's not really gaming related.

I own a PS3 80 GB CECHKxx (full sized) purchased 4/09 and it no longer reads any disc (BR, DVD, CD..). I use it just as a BR player so I don't have any games discs to test.

I was watching a BR movie (Dr. No) and it just froze as if it had been paused. Couldn't even go back to the top menu, had to use the back ON/OFF switch to power it down and restart it.

It then ran a system check (Based of the fact that it wasn't shut down correctly).

The disc mechanism seems to be working fine, after the disc is inserted, the symbol (disc spinning?) on the top right corner spins (and doesn't stop until I eject the disc or launch PlayStation Home) but the disc never shows up on the XMB. Autostart is on. No problems ejecting.

No unusual noises either and I can't really tell if the disc is spinning as I'm not getting that light "squeaky" sound that you would usually get when you load a disc and it autostarts. Hope that makes sense.

Am I due for a new laser module? or could it be that the lens is dirty and requires cleaning?

Attempted all the troubleshoots to no avail, including, Full/Quick System Reset, power switch, etc.

It goes without saying that its out of warranty.
post #31773 of 32090 Old 04-24-2012, 05:56 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoth007 View Post

Was going to post this in Gaming (PlayStation area) but it's not really gaming related.

I own a PS3 80 GB CECHKxx (full sized) purchased 4/09 and it no longer reads any disc (BR, DVD, CD..). I use it just as a BR player so I don't have any games discs to test.

I was watching a BR movie (Dr. No) and it just froze as if it had been paused. Couldn't even go back to the top menu, had to use the back ON/OFF switch to power it down and restart it.

It then ran a system check (Based of the fact that it wasn't shut down correctly).

The disc mechanism seems to be working fine, after the disc is inserted, the symbol (disc spinning?) on the top right corner spins (and doesn't stop until I eject the disc or launch PlayStation Home) but the disc never shows up on the XMB. Autostart is on. No problems ejecting.

No unusual noises either and I can't really tell if the disc is spinning as I'm not getting that light "squeaky" sound that you would usually get when you load a disc and it autostarts. Hope that makes sense.

Am I due for a new laser module? or could it be that the lens is dirty and requires cleaning?

Attempted all the troubleshoots to no avail, including, Full/Quick System Reset, power switch, etc.

It goes without saying that its out of warranty.

My brother gave me his 20 gig fat a few years ago because it stopped reading discs. I'm pretty sure the disc icon did NOT spin though. Anyway I replaced the laser myself and it's been fine since then...
post #31774 of 32090 Old 04-24-2012, 11:20 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney Jackson View Post

My brother gave me his 20 gig fat a few years ago because it stopped reading discs. I'm pretty sure the disc icon did NOT spin though. Anyway I replaced the laser myself and it's been fine since then...

I also have a LG BDP that stopped reading blu-ray discs, but reads dvd. Can you please pm me?
post #31775 of 32090 Old 04-24-2012, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Ok - no one responded to my posts but I did more research and I knew it was my laser (original fat PS3) so I took a chance and paid $12 for the PS3 blu-ray cleaner disc........it worked.

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

post #31776 of 32090 Old 04-25-2012, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wryker View Post

Ok - no one responded to my posts but I did more research and I knew it was my laser (original fat PS3) so I took a chance and paid $12 for the PS3 blu-ray cleaner disc........it worked.

Will give that I go before doing anything else
post #31777 of 32090 Old 04-25-2012, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Bought it from Amazon and was skeptical but for $12 I said it's worth the try.

post #31778 of 32090 Old 04-26-2012, 12:01 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

Thanks, I am trying this also instead of replacing the laser first (fingers crossed).
post #31779 of 32090 Old 05-01-2012, 02:16 PM

I use my ps3 for my main blu ray player. My tv is a 80" sharp aqous. Its 120hz. But when I play a blu ray movie it will show up on the tv screen 24hz. I think this is the signal coming from the ps3. The ps3 goes through my onkyo receiver which has all the latest codecs. Movies usually play in hts master i believe it says on my onkyo. Not sure if that inormation is rellevant or not. But should that 24hz setting on the ps3 be changed or is it set right for my 120 hz tv. Im trying to get the best possible picture. Thanks.
post #31780 of 32090 Old 05-01-2012, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 283
It depends on what you think is best. It was originally filmed at 24Hz and is stored on the disc that way. Your 120Hz TV will repeat each frame 5 times as it should and give a picture exactly like the original in the movie theater. If you think artificial enhancement looks better or smoother, then turn on motion flow in your TV. Purists would say avoid that at all costs.
post #31781 of 32090 Old 05-03-2012, 10:54 AM

Hello everyone,

My first post here on this forum and a request for help/clarification.

I am so confused and the following is bugging me so bad, I cannot find an answer anywhere!

I will try to keep it short and clear.....

I have a Sony BDV E370 all-in-one Blu Ray system. The BD drive is knackered.

I have a PS3 slim. I had to use it as a stand-in until replacement for above is found.

I connected PS3 to BDV via optical and prepared for lossy DD5.1

Played a Blu Ray, set PS3 to output "Bitstream (Mix)"

Bought up the PS3 on-screen display & it tells me that it is sending DTS Master Audio, 5.1 and at a rate of Mbps. When I check on the BD menu screen, it correctly shows DD 5.1 at 640kbp

All that I can find on the net is that PS3 slim cannot bitstream HD codecs over optical.

So, two big questions.

1. Why is my PS3 showing that it is sending the HD codec

2. Why does it sound so good - it definitely is not lossy DD 5.1 (there is a clear & marked difference between the DD5.1 @ 640kbps menu soundtrack and the DTS-Master Audio main feature soundtrack

Here are some pictures that I have taken to help explain:

The disc is Transformers Revenge of the Fallen on Blu Ray.

1st.
Menu screen with OSD showing Dolby Digital 5.1 and 640kbps

2nd.
OSD during playback showing DTS MA 5.1 and 5Mbps (this goes up and down during playback)

3rd.
Amp front panel display when PS3 is set to output Bitstream (Mix).

4th.
Amp front panel display when PS3 is set to Linear PCM

Here are some comparison pictures when using the BDV E370 as the Blu Ray player

Front panel display during BD playback

OSD during menu screen

OSD during BD playback

I bought up the OSD of the E370, I thought the audio bit-rate went up and down during playback (like the video bit-rate) as the PS3 does. It doesn't though - it is fixed at 1.5Mbps! Never moves, always 1.5Mbps.

Very odd.

Someone out there must be able to shed some light on this, I'm really hoping that it is one of you guys!

Thanks so much from a very confused person
post #31782 of 32090 Old 05-03-2012, 11:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
1.5 Mbps is the maximum over Optical (if I recall correctly), which is why you are seeing that number. The OSD is showing which audio track you have selected on the disc, which is not necessarily what is being output over optical. If you select Bitstream, both DTS and Dolby HD codecs have a lossy core (1.5 mb/sec) that can be sent over optical to a receiver. They are higher in quality that conventional DD and DTS tracks, but are still lossy.

When you select LPCM, you can send stereo lossless audio over optical and that is what is being sent. Over optical, you can get lossless stereo (I believe up to 24/96, but I can't recall 100%) or you can get a 1.5 mb/sec lossy stream that is DD+ or DTS. The OSD in the PS3 during playback will show the audio track you selected on the disc, but the OSD of the receiver will show what it is actually receiving.

Chris Heinonen
Senior Editor, Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity, www.hometheaterhifi.com
Displays Editor, AnandTech.com
Contributor, HDGuru.com and Wirecutter.com
ISF Level II Certified Calibrator, ReferenceHomeTheater.com
post #31783 of 32090 Old 05-03-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smackrabbit View Post

1.5 Mbps is the maximum over Optical (if I recall correctly), which is why you are seeing that number. The OSD is showing which audio track you have selected on the disc, which is not necessarily what is being output over optical. If you select Bitstream, both DTS and Dolby HD codecs have a lossy core (1.5 mb/sec) that can be sent over optical to a receiver. They are higher in quality that conventional DD and DTS tracks, but are still lossy.

When you select LPCM, you can send stereo lossless audio over optical and that is what is being sent. Over optical, you can get lossless stereo (I believe up to 24/96, but I can't recall 100%) or you can get a 1.5 mb/sec lossy stream that is DD+ or DTS. The OSD in the PS3 during playback will show the audio track you selected on the disc, but the OSD of the receiver will show what it is actually receiving.

Thanks for the fast reply!

The screen shot that shows 1.5Mbps was from the BDV E370, so no optical lead involved.

The PS3 OSD shows a varying bit-rate, in the case of the screen shot I provided it was then reading 5Mbps.

I understand what your saying about bitstreaming a lossy core audio, that makes sense.

However, what does that say about the E370 playing back at 1.5Mbps?! That is pretty poor. Also, there is the fact that what ever the PS3 is outputting sounds far superior from what I have ever heard from the E370.

If I change the PS3 to output LPCM, it sounds identical to the E370s efforts. The difference between those two and the bitstream (mix) from PS3 are massive.

Both the E370 & PS3 LPCM sound by comparison:

Muffled
Compressed (like the dynamic range control is set very high)
Lacking detail
Quiet

Can it be that whatever the PS3 bitstream is, that it is of higher quality than the E370? It sure sounds like it is! But how? Why? So confusing!!
post #31784 of 32090 Old 05-03-2012, 12:54 PM

What in the blue blazes of Hades is " knackered "?
post #31785 of 32090 Old 05-03-2012, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacdaddyPS View Post

What in the blue blazes of Hades is " knackered "?

It's English English for F--ked Up.
post #31786 of 32090 Old 05-04-2012, 07:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Is the $99 trade in program still active?
post #31787 of 32090 Old 05-04-2012, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostate View Post

Not in the UK as far as I'm aware. I traded in my Denon dvd player back when that offer was on over here (£50) for the E370 when the missis moved in and I had to down size.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to go out tomorrow and pick up some budget separates. Thinking an Onkyo receiver and unsure of speakers, maybe those Boston Acoustic cube things..
post #31788 of 32090 Old 05-04-2012, 12:37 PM

Oh. Jolly good bloke!
post #31789 of 32090 Old 05-04-2012, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacdaddyPS View Post

Oh. Jolly good bloke!

Pip pip
post #31790 of 32090 Old 05-09-2012, 07:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seggers View Post

This talk of One Remote To Rule Them All still tickles me after all this time. Did your various components not come with remotes?

I still see nothing wrong with using a remote to do one job. Turn on the TV, put it down. Turn on the AVR, switch to the TV input (if it was left on the PS3 input), put it down. Pick up the TiVo remote and enjoy....

I guess I must have missed the fascination of these...

Seggers

Ugh. To each his own.

XBL Gamertag: RagingPhinsFan
post #31791 of 32090 Old 05-12-2012, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostate View Post

Hello,
I just got back my 60gb Launch Model (CECHA01) and if I changed to a Slim, it would have costed $99. However, I wanted to keep SACD, Backwards Compatibility, 4 USB Ports, Memory Card, and Memory Stick Support. For $30 more, it was impossible for me to turn down. Also, my 60gb lasted around 6 years until a Lightning Surge caused all Video Outputs to stop working. It still Powered Up, Ejected Discs, etc.. Also, 60gb Systems can fetch a decent bit of money due to the full Backwards Compatibility.

The $99/$129 Fix or Exchange Program is really a good deal. At least on the 60gb, it used to cost $199 and then $150 before dropping to $129 for the 60gb as it includes a Return Box and Shipping both ways. The whole thing took about a Week from calling and giving CC Information,
Cheers,
AD

Radio Shack SPL Meter Owner
post #31792 of 32090 Old 05-13-2012, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiodork View Post

Hello,
I just got back my 60gb Launch Model (CECHA01) and if I changed to a Slim, it would have costed $99. However, I wanted to keep SACD, Backwards Compatibility, 4 USB Ports, Memory Card, and Memory Stick Support. For $30 more, it was impossible for me to turn down. Also, my 60gb lasted around 6 years until a Lightning Surge caused all Video Outputs to stop working. It still Powered Up, Ejected Discs, etc.. Also, 60gb Systems can fetch a decent bit of money due to the full Backwards Compatibility.

The $99/$129 Fix or Exchange Program is really a good deal. At least on the 60gb, it used to cost $199 and then $150 before dropping to $129 for the 60gb as it includes a Return Box and Shipping both ways. The whole thing took about a Week from calling and giving CC Information,
Cheers,
AD

So did you use Playstation? I ask since the disc cleaner worked - but only for a short time so if you did Im going to reach out to them (how did you contact them)?. It stopped playing the BD and I got the error that, upon searching, is that the laser is dying (and I have the 60gb backward ps2 compatible etc and want to keep that one).

post #31793 of 32090 Old 05-15-2012, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
My trusty old PS3 died. I need new player and since I have no other use than play blu-ray and DVD discs I'm considering standalone blu-ray player as successor.

Please recommend players that do pass blu-ray picture without modifying gamma, grayscale or gamut just like PS3 does. Also BTB and WTW shoud be passed OK.

I'm considering Panasonic BDT110, 210 or 310 models but I'm open to all suggestions.

I also have question about PS3. I have always outputted YCbCr via HDMI but I cannot remember is it 4:2:2 or 4:4:4 and there is no way to check as my unit died?
post #31794 of 32090 Old 05-15-2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lebowski View Post

I'm considering standalone blu-ray player as successor.

Please recommend players that do pass blu-ray picture without modifying gamma, grayscale or gamut just like PS3 does. Also BTB and WTW shoud be passed OK.

I tried to find a cheap standalone successor to the PS3. Fully featured non-3D BluRay players are readily found for under $80. It's amazing that you can get 24p output, SACD and USB playback. BluRay performance and loading/startup times were fine with the Samsung and Sony that I tried, but unfortunately it seems as if edge enhancement during DVD playback is now the normal and worse CANNOT be removed. Or at least I didn't find it in any of the options or setup menus. It's bad enough that edge enhancement during 480i/p signals can only be removed in the service menus of most TVs, but now I cannot even find a way to remove it from DVD playback at 1080p on those budget, but fully featured players.

I only stuck with the big boys for BluRay since I know they'll constantly update the firmware for BluRay compatibility. However, if anything did happen to my PS3 I may end up buying another one or just go with an Oppo.
post #31795 of 32090 Old 05-17-2012, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wryker View Post

So did you use Playstation? I ask since the disc cleaner worked - but only for a short time so if you did Im going to reach out to them (how did you contact them)?. It stopped playing the BD and I got the error that, upon searching, is that the laser is dying (and I have the 60gb backward ps2 compatible etc and want to keep that one).

SO I called Sony and after being on the phone for over a 1/2 hour I decided to send it back and get it repaired for $129. They do offer a refurbed slim for $99 with a larger harddrive but since it has the same 90 day warranty I opted to pay the higher price but get back my ps3 w/ps2 compatibility, multi-card reader, & 4 usb front ports.

post #31796 of 32090 Old 05-31-2012, 08:01 PM

Hey everyone,

So my ps3 got the yellow light of death recently and I don't see the point in replacing/repairing it as I only use it for blu-ray and netflix anyway. The thing is I have the Sony Htss360 Surround Sound system that I bought to use with the ps3 because the PS3 converts all the sound stuff for bluray since my receiver doesn't do any of that.

I am not sure what the conversion is called that the ps3 does, I just know it does something and I was wondering if anybody on here knew what blu ray player would do the same thing as the ps3? In other words, what blu ray player would convert the sound of blu ray movies to work with my surround sound like my ps3 used to do so that I can get the best sound possible? (I think its like HD MA or something like that or something about linear PCM).

Additionally, I really like that the ps3 updates the firmware via the internet and I would like a blu-ray player that does the same thing (but it needs to be cheaper than a replacement ps3). I have been looking at the Panasonic DMP-BDT220, would that satisfy all my needs?

I don't mean to sound like a total noob but I don't know anything about the sound and conversion stuff and I just need something that will do everything the ps3 will do for my blu-ray movies but not die after a few years of frequent use. Thanks in advance for the help!
post #31797 of 32090 Old 06-01-2012, 05:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
The Panasonic you mentioned will decode all of the HD audio formats and will work in that respect. You might look at the entry level Sony players also. Any BD player that decodes should work for you.

post #31798 of 32090 Old 06-01-2012, 02:43 PM

It's funny as someone else asked almost the same question in another forum i frequent.

The Panasonic decodes hd audio and outputs LPCM via HDMI.

The current range of samsungs and lg do not decode.

It is unclear based on the instruction manuals if Sony and Toshiba will decode.

Imo stick with the Panasonic unless you fancy experimenting.
post #31799 of 32090 Old 06-01-2012, 11:15 PM

Thanks for the responses! This is great news and super helpful. One last question, do you guys think a dedicated blu ray player will outlast a ps3 in terms of life span? I've used my ps3 only for blu ray and Netflix streaming and it died after 2 years. This unit was refurbished but the new console I had before that died after the same amount of time. I want a dedicated blu ray player because I am hoping it will last me longer. Think it will last me quite some time or what's the average life span?
post #31800 of 32090 Old 06-02-2012, 03:19 AM

If you ask me I think you've been unlucky. I've got a release day old ps3 'fat' and a 3 year old 'slim' both still working as new.

With most consumer electronics I'm of the opinion that if there's something wrong it will fail within the 1st year hence why Idon't take out extended warranties. However considering your luck you might want to take up 3+ year warranty with your player for peace of mind.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Blu Ray Players , Blu Ray Movies , Sony , Toshiba , Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page