post #32071 of 32090 Old 03-01-2014, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy1 View Post

This problem is not uncommon, and the only workaround I know of is to use your TV's onboard dialog level controls (if the TV has that capability). Have you tried playing with the audio settings while you're playing back a Blu-Ray disc? Not the main settings, but the settings that you can access by pressing the triangle button on the controller...there may be something you can change there to help make the dialog louder.

Unfortunately, pushing 'triangle' to raise the volume only increases everything across the board (not just dialogue), so when a special effects sound comes along, it blows my ears off, well out of proportion to the dialogue.

The only workaround I have found is to go into my tv's menu settings and select "Auto Volume", which seems to raise the dialogue a bit, while keeping effects reasonably lower.

I would not be bothered by this issue were it not for the fact that a PS3 I had a couple of months ago had NO problems playing 2-channel Blu-Ray sound, with clearly understandable dialogue. I have no idea why I'm afflicted with this problem out of the blue now, but there has to be a simple solution on the PS3's end. I guess selecting "2-channel Linear PCM" just doesn't have the benefit for tv speakers that it used to. It insists on playing 5.1 instead.

No idea.

Thanks for the tips.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32072 of 32090 Old 03-03-2014, 12:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Have you only played with the Audio options in the settings menu or have you also looked at the Video options? Under Video is where the BD/DVD audio options are selected such as PCM/Bitstream and Dynamic Range Control (DRC). You should make sure none of those settings is screwing something up.
120inna55 likes this.
post #32073 of 32090 Old 03-03-2014, 05:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSTNFAN View Post

Have you only played with the Audio options in the settings menu or have you also looked at the Video options? Under Video is where the BD/DVD audio options are selected such as PCM/Bitstream and Dynamic Range Control (DRC). You should make sure none of those settings is screwing something up.

Yeah, I've gone into Video and Sound, both. I have played around with PCM vs. Bitstream and the DRC, and nothing seems to make a difference on the PS3's end. Only manipulating a ton of TV settings makes the Blu-Ray audio experience somewhat passable.
post #32074 of 32090 Old 03-03-2014, 08:02 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17

I have a question that has been floating around in my head ever since I registered to this board and starting learning about Blu Rays and HT in general..

Compared to whats available today how does my PS3 stack up as far as a Blu Ray player? Im mainly curious about PQ. What benefits would a PS4 give me over a PS3 as far as playing Blu Rays? Thanks guys.

post #32075 of 32090 Old 03-04-2014, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoPro700 View Post

I have a question that has been floating around in my head ever since I registered to this board and starting learning about Blu Rays and HT in general..

Compared to whats available today how does my PS3 stack up as far as a Blu Ray player? Im mainly curious about PQ. What benefits would a PS4 give me over a PS3 as far as playing Blu Rays? Thanks guys.

I hear at the moment there is no benefits over the ps3 as the ps4 doesn't currently support 3D blurays.

I do have a question about my ps3 that is connected to my onkyo nr626. I have dolby IIz 7.1 heights and wonder if I should be using bitstream or linear pcm to get the best out of it? Anyone?

7.1 IIz heightsOnkyo Tx-nr626 a/v receiver
Boston acoustics soundware xs se surrounds and Sub
Boston acoustics A360 Floorstanders with A25 bookshelf Centre.
Youview box, PS3, Apple TV
post #32076 of 32090 Old 03-04-2014, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoPro700 View Post

Keep the PS3, at least until 3D Blu-Ray playback is enabled on the new console. Even if 3D is not important to you at the moment, the PS4 doesn't offer anything as a BD player that the PS3 doesn't have.
post #32077 of 32090 Old 03-17-2014, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

^^
You have some variables in your comparison. You say the PCM output of your PS3 is louder than the bitstream decoded by your receiver. Numerous studies support the conclusion that most people equate louder with better. Perhaps that's why you think the PS3 output is better. Also, there might be something different in how your receiver is handling a multichannel PCM input and a bitstream it decodes itself.

Do you observe the same difference when bitstreaming the same tracks from both your PS3 and your HTPC? Also, have you tried comparing the PS3's bitstream and PCM output when playing the same track? Or, have you tried decoding the dts-MA track in your HTPC to see whether it then is the same volume and the same quality as the PS3?

I am finding the same issue with my setup, I have the PS3 Slim 250GB with a Sony 7.1 STR-DH710 HD receiver, connected via HDMI . If you set the PS3 to PCM the BD audio sounds louder and more detailed along with fuller bass. Bitstream setting is definitely quieter a few db's all around.
post #32078 of 32090 Old 04-01-2014, 05:33 AM

We use a PS3 as our BRP. The PS3 is connected to a Vizio XVT553SV, which is 1080p capable. The PS3 is set to output 1080p; the Vizio confirms receipt of a 1080p source. Both devices are thus confirmed as configured correctly.

The problem: when we watch a BluRay or use a streaming app from the PS3, the image is underwhelming. However, when we stream a full-1080p movie through an app on the Vizio, the image is stunning--exactly the quality one should expect at 1080p. The Vizio confirms it gets a 1080p signal from the PS3. What gives?

As a test, we toggled between the same movie: one streamed via the VUDU app on the Vizio, and the other a BR disc via the PS3. The difference in image quality between the two sources is obvious. We've swapped out different brand cables, changed HDMI ports, etc... all without an improvement in image quality. We beleive the problem is with the PS3. (We have no acquaintances who own a PS3, thus preventing us the important test of comparing the output of different PS3's against the Vizio.) Vizio tech support blames the PS3; PS3 tech support blames Vizio; both vendors' tech support offer the most cursory--and useless--technical troubleshooting.

Any other PS3 owners notice less-than-spectacular 1080p?
post #32079 of 32090 Old 04-01-2014, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Are the video settings for the input the PS3 is connected to the same as for the TV? You may need to make adjustments to the COLOR, BRIGHTNESS, NOISE REDUCTION, etc. settings on that HDMI input. If I recall correctly, the TV has independent memories for each input.
post #32080 of 32090 Old 04-03-2014, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Does anyone know if it's possible to access the PS3 service menu at all ?

I was interested in finding out if something like contrast could be adjusted in there?

Thanks
post #32081 of 32090 Old 04-04-2014, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by lothian1 View Post

We use a PS3 as our BRP. The PS3 is connected to a Vizio XVT553SV, which is 1080p capable. The PS3 is set to output 1080p; the Vizio confirms receipt of a 1080p source. Both devices are thus confirmed as configured correctly.

The problem: when we watch a BluRay or use a streaming app from the PS3, the image is underwhelming. However, when we stream a full-1080p movie through an app on the Vizio, the image is stunning--exactly the quality one should expect at 1080p. The Vizio confirms it gets a 1080p signal from the PS3. What gives?

As a test, we toggled between the same movie: one streamed via the VUDU app on the Vizio, and the other a BR disc via the PS3. The difference in image quality between the two sources is obvious. We've swapped out different brand cables, changed HDMI ports, etc... all without an improvement in image quality. We beleive the problem is with the PS3. (We have no acquaintances who own a PS3, thus preventing us the important test of comparing the output of different PS3's against the Vizio.) Vizio tech support blames the PS3; PS3 tech support blames Vizio; both vendors' tech support offer the most cursory--and useless--technical troubleshooting.

Any other PS3 owners notice less-than-spectacular 1080p?

The PS3 has a lot of settings you can adjust, so maybe start by going with some of the settings recommended by CNET (http://www.cnet.com/news/ps3-blu-ray-settings-ask-the-editors/) and others. I use the PS3 to play Blu-rays and stream content and it looks good to me and many other PS3 owners, so I would suspect it is either something in settings on the PS3 or TV. I hope you figure it out.
post #32082 of 32090 Old 04-04-2014, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
That site is six years old and recommends setting BD 1080p 24Hz output (HDMI) off biggrin.gif

This site has some pretty good info. It hasn't been updated in a little while, but provides and in-depth look at the system and its inner workings

http://www.edepot.com/playstation3.html

"To sin by silence when we should protest makes cowards out of men."

Operation Iraqi Freedom Campaign Veteran, 06-08.

Operation Iraqi Freedom Campaign Veteran, 09-10.

Operation Enduring Freedom Campaign Veteran, 12-13.

post #32083 of 32090 Old 04-04-2014, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior980 View Post

That site is six years old and recommends setting BD 1080p 24Hz output (HDMI) off biggrin.gif

This site has some pretty good info. It hasn't been updated in a little while, but provides and in-depth look at the system and its inner workings

http://www.edepot.com/playstation3.html

Nice one smile.gif

Thanks, great link !!!
post #32084 of 32090 Old 04-21-2014, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I recently swapped the HDD on my PS3 and updated to the latest firmware. Firstt hing I noticed is it seems the numerous settings options that were available when I first got it are stripped down a little. Second thing I noticed is blu rays had a soap opera look to them but streaming content, be it from Plex, Netflix, Amazon all looked fine. Enabling 24p seemed to lessen the effects but I never had to do that before. Any thoughts?

post #32085 of 32090 Old 04-24-2014, 10:16 PM

I want to know what some options are for getting OTA content streamed through a PS3 to a TV. I need a way to get the OTA content delivered wirelessly (if possible) to the PS3. The location of the PS3 and TV is fairly restrictive. Meaning I don't really have room for the antenna, so I need to have the antenna in a different location and then somehow get the content delivered to the PS3. All I really want to do is be able to watch live sport coverage from the major networks from there OTA feeds. In HD if possible.
What would some of you recommend?

Thanks!
post #32086 of 32090 Old 04-25-2014, 05:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Your TV can't get OTA directly? Why would a PS3 be involved? There are several cheap OTA tuners if your TV can't do it, some even record. See iView and Homeworx. The antenna issue is solved by a longer cable or an HD HomeRun.
post #32087 of 32090 Old 04-25-2014, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamboni driver View Post

I want to know what some options are for getting OTA content streamed through a PS3 to a TV. I need a way to get the OTA content delivered wirelessly (if possible) to the PS3. The location of the PS3 and TV is fairly restrictive. Meaning I don't really have room for the antenna, so I need to have the antenna in a different location and then somehow get the content delivered to the PS3. All I really want to do is be able to watch live sport coverage from the major networks from there OTA feeds. In HD if possible.
What would some of you recommend?

Thanks!

Assuming your TV has an onboard ATSC tuner (which I believe became mandatory in March of 2007), connecting an antenna to your TV would be the easiest way for you to achieve your objective, and would give you the highest-quality picture from an OTA broadcast. This one should work for you as long as you don't live too far away from the transmission towers:

http://www.amazon.com/Mohu-Leaf-Paper-Thin-Indoor-Antenna/dp/B004QK7HI8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1398431844&sr=8-2&keywords=leaf+antenna
post #32088 of 32090 Old 04-25-2014, 01:10 PM

Thank you so much for the reply.

In an effort to be short and to the point I did leave out a few details that I will include now (sorry).

Both responses are correct and thank you for the link to the antenna - I am going to look into that one.

The reason I can't just hook directly up to the TV is because the TV is actually a Projector.
I use my PS3 primarily for Blu Ray and internet streaming movies etc. The PS3 splits the video / Audio feed amongst the corresponding components.
Because of the location of the projector and PS3 (interior wall, basement) I was looking at hopefully putting the antenna in a different location entirely and then somehow "streaming" it to the PS3.
I do not have cable so I do not have any preexisting wires that I can tape into and because again of the location - feeding wires is doable but if avoidable I'd like to do that.

Since the PS3 is currently the only device hooked up - I wanted to explore using that first or in partnership with something. I could look at a entirely new hardware setup, but for now was trying to utilize the PS3 (if possible) to capture OTA content somehow (through a tuner).

So in short, I don't have an easy way to just hook up the antenna directly. I'm looking at having the antenna in a separate part of the house (if possible) and yet get the content to my projector (hopefully through PS3 if possible).

I hope that clarifies it better???

Thanks again for your inputs.
post #32089 of 32090 Old 04-25-2014, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 314
In that case, the HomeRun sounds like the ticket. Here are some details:

http://www.silicondust.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=14189
post #32090 of 32090 Old 05-02-2014, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I ran the Spears & Munsil High-Definition Benchmark Blu-ray Disc on my ps3 and it looked bad so I ordered a new samsung 3d blue ray player then ran Spears & Munsil that looked better and 3D was better to.I am saving power because the ps3 player needs 180 watts and my new blue pay player needs only 14 watts.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Blu Ray Players , Blu Ray Movies , Sony , Toshiba , Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page