Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 32090 Old 09-25-2006, 03:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilsp View Post

Which titles? (Which MS executive said there would be NO 1080p titles?)

Andre Vrignaud -Microsoft's director of technical strategy for Xbox Live
"In fact, I'll stick my neck out and predict that that you won't see any 1080"x" games for the PS3 this year."

http://www.computerandvideogames.com....php?id=144727
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 32090 Old 09-25-2006, 04:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by briankmonkey View Post

"In fact, I'll stick my neck out and predict that that you won't see any 1080"x" games for the PS3 this year."

That's always the best time to punch one right in the throat.
post #543 of 32090 Old 09-25-2006, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4K display View Post

That's always the best time to punch one right in the throat.

lol, good call.

I was thinking this when I read it:
post #544 of 32090 Old 09-25-2006, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
PS3 Games To Cost Near $100?

Last week's excitement over Sony dropping the price of the PS3 in Japan may prove to be short lived with news coming out of the Tokyo Game Show that some PS3 games may cost nearly $100. Sources indicate that several PS3 games will retail for around $76 to $84, well above the current generation's $40 to $50; the price increase can be chalked up to increased development costs. Sony seems to have a knack for shooting themselves in the foot, no? - Nicholas Deleon

http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/home-...100-202941.php

post #545 of 32090 Old 09-25-2006, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by WriteSimple View Post

You can't even get TrueHD over optical on either the Samsung BD player or the Toshiba HD-DVD player.

You can get TrueHD via HDMI 1.2 AFTER it's been decoded as LPCM. Not sure what's the minimum criteria for bitstream passthrough over HDMI.

fuad

Thanks, since I don't have an A/V receiver with HDMI I guess I am out of luck

Too bad it doesn't have analog outs like the stand alone players, but you can't have everything.
post #546 of 32090 Old 09-25-2006, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by efranzen View Post

PS3 Games To Cost Near $100?

Last week's excitement over Sony dropping the price of the PS3 in Japan may prove to be short lived with news coming out of the Tokyo Game Show that some PS3 games may cost nearly $100. Sources indicate that several PS3 games will retail for around $76 to $84, well above the current generation's $40 to $50; the price increase can be chalked up to increased development costs. Sony seems to have a knack for shooting themselves in the foot, no? - Nicholas Deleon

http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/home-...100-202941.php

According to Activision, they'll be the same price as xbox360 games $60

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/733/733047p1.html

According to Sony's website $59.99.. According to Best Buy's website $59.99, etc etc

Quote:

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...pt=moviesmusic

Blazing Angels: Squadrons of WWII
PlayStation 3

Release Date: 11/16/2006

Game $59.99

Call of Duty 3
PlayStation 3

Release Date: 11/9/2006

Game $59.99

Full Auto 2: Battlelines
PlayStation 3

Release Date: 11/23/2006

Game $59.99

Marvel: Ultimate Alliance
PlayStation 3

Game $59.99

Sonic the Hedgehog
PlayStation 3

Release Date: 11/16/2006

Game $59.99

Tony Hawk's Project 8
PlayStation 3

Game $59.99

Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom
PlayStation 3

Release Date: 11/2/2006

Game $59.99

post #547 of 32090 Old 09-25-2006, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by briankmonkey View Post

R.I.Pieces.

fuad

"DonÂt let them tell you who you are is not enough, that itÂs wrong and that you wonÂt find love. DonÂt let them use my life to put your future down, or tell you that happiness canÂt be found."
post #548 of 32090 Old 09-26-2006, 01:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
now that i have seen the PS3 in action.

as a bluray player as well as a game machine. there is only 1 way that sony lose this battle and that is because of themselfs. if sony lose, it wont be because of HD-DVD or xbox360.

it wont be because of the PS3. because the PS3 is the most amazing machine i have ever laid my eyes on or handled. sony must have aliens working there or something because it is not normal.

so if sony fails. it is all because of themselfs. stuff they have in their own hands. like releasing enough units. quality games,and quality movies.

if sony does that. sony will win. if sony screw 1 of those things they will suffer, and they only will have to blame themselfs for it.
post #549 of 32090 Old 09-26-2006, 02:04 AM

I think Sony need to get a cheaper stand-alone unit out. They can't seem to do that right now because the PS3 is hogging all the blue laser components.
post #550 of 32090 Old 09-26-2006, 02:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Did you not start a another exact same thread? there is a PS3 section you know?
post #551 of 32090 Old 09-26-2006, 03:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3code View Post

if sony does that. sony will win. if sony screw 1 of those things they will suffer, and they only will have to blame themselfs for it.

I assume you went to TGS. I don't suppose they demoed BD movie there, did they?

If what you say is true, it is scary. This PS3 is going to be very high in demand!

fuad

"DonÂt let them tell you who you are is not enough, that itÂs wrong and that you wonÂt find love. DonÂt let them use my life to put your future down, or tell you that happiness canÂt be found."
post #552 of 32090 Old 09-26-2006, 04:00 AM

I can think of a few other ways Blu-Ray could lose. If BD movies continue to be produced often with a dark and grainy appearance, and look as though they were in 540 instead of 1080p, then that could have a more major effect on the outcome of this battle...
post #553 of 32090 Old 09-26-2006, 04:08 AM
AVS Special Member

sony demoed BD movies on PS3 and does do all the time in Ginza here in tokyo at sony building. exit close to B9 when you take the underground.

rover 2002 i didnt put an excact same thread on there in the hdtv section. that post was more meant about the chosing between 1080P and 720P.

this post is more about why ps3 as a player and gamemachine will decide the format war and that sony holds the cards in the war. and can only fall down because of themselfs.

people make this war to much about Hd-DVd vs blu-ray while it is more a war of sony screwing themself up by not delivering.

and yes i was at the TGS and it was bloody amazing. pictures, game trailers dont do those games justice. you have to play and experience it yourself.
post #554 of 32090 Old 09-26-2006, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WriteSimple View Post

I assume you went to TGS. I don't suppose they demoed BD movie there, did they?

If what you say is true, it is scary. This PS3 is going to be very high in demand!

fuad

I seriously hope so I have 6 pre ordered plan to sell them at 1200/piece on ebay come Nov. 17.
post #555 of 32090 Old 09-26-2006, 05:45 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 334
merged threads
post #556 of 32090 Old 09-26-2006, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

so if sony fails. it is all because of themselfs. stuff they have in their own hands. like releasing enough units. quality games,and quality movies.

So, your thesis is that Sony needs to release enough quality product to do well? I don't imagine you'll get much debate about that. Actually, if you include something about hardware pricing in that sentence, it's basically what everyone has been saying since the day HD DVD launched.
post #557 of 32090 Old 09-26-2006, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

well the thing is i am one of the view people here who have seen it as a game machine and as a bluray player.

and i was really sceptic. hack i have more hd-dvd movies here then blu ray movies and i have a xbox360. but since i saw the ps3 as a game machine as well. it just blows your mind that all comes out of 1 single machine. there is seriously nothing i have seen on a pc or xbox360 that comes close graphicly speaking to the PS3. except for crysis. crysis is the type of game that lair and motorstorm do in terms of physics and graphics.

i mean if you see a game like lost planet on the xbox360 which runs at 30 frames max. and a game like devil may cry 4 on PS3 which basicly using the same engine and runs easy at 60 frames a second. like it does it with 1 finger. if you show that kind of power already now the first generation of games. it is just scary.
post #558 of 32090 Old 09-26-2006, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

i mean if you see a game like lost planet on the xbox360 which runs at 30 frames max. and a game like devil may cry 4 on PS3 which basicly using the same engine and runs easy at 60 frames a second. like it does it with 1 finger.

I know one thing, a LOT of people have been waving one finger at Sony lately.

How do you go low? A SVS PB10-isd and a Cerwin Vega LW-15, that's how I go
Sony 60GB PS3 for Blu-ray Movies
post #559 of 32090 Old 09-26-2006, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboisvert View Post

So, your thesis is that Sony needs to release enough quality product to do well? I don't imagine you'll get much debate about that. Actually, if you include something about hardware pricing in that sentence, it's basically what everyone has been saying since the day HD DVD launched.

You know, the whole "PS3 is overpriced" thing REALLY needs to die. I understand it in a forum populated by 14-year-olds w/ no jobs...but this is a different kind of forum for a different kind of consumer electronics consumer. And the younger set here who are into home theater and electronic entertainment SHOULD get what the PS3 is about.

This is a forum where folks drop thousands on components to do things like power condition and play CDs--and this is a box that is packed w/ new technology to handle the uppper thresholds of graphics and HD video. Hell, I watched someone just spend $480 on a Pioneer CLD-99 laserdisc player on Ebay (w/ no remote nor manual). Its a fine piece of equipment, one of the best of its kind...but its how many years old and its video is 1/6th the resolution of 1080P!!! Even apples to apples, the XBOX 360 w/ all the bells-and-whistles to match a similarly equipped PS3 (wireless, HD-DVD drive, etc.) is about the same cost, btw. And no HDMI 1.3, and a kludged 1080P. So what the hell, people?!

I, for one, will go on the record in saying that the PS3 will prove to be the most important home video product to come out this year, bar none. Chased only by Apple's still-to-be-announced 16:9 next-generation video iPod if they decide to 'surpise' us before the holidays. It is the one product to pack the most forward-thinking high-end hardware into an elegantly designed mainstream device...and at $600, its nothing compared to the limited-use niche market products people about AVS bow down to.

But I guess value is lost on some who've lost perspective.

Champion of truth, beauty and misunderstood giant killer robots.
post #560 of 32090 Old 09-26-2006, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPorterhouse View Post

I know one thing, a LOT of people have been waving one finger at Sony lately.

But as of TGS, it's becoming a nod of the head. Even many of those that live to hate Sony have started singing a different tune.

IMO, the inclusion of HDMI in the base system is a crucial move. Everyone here should be discussing this console on it's merits for A/V functionality as well, rather than constantly bringing up games (of which this forum is not about); and frankly in that light pending the first reviews, for the price this system excels.
post #561 of 32090 Old 09-26-2006, 10:19 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanewalker View Post

You know, the whole "PS3 is overpriced" thing REALLY needs to die. I understand it in a forum populated by 14-year-olds w/ no jobs...but this is a different kind of forum for a different kind of consumer electronics consumer. And the younger set here who are into home theater and electronic entertainment SHOULD get what the PS3 is about.

This is a forum where folks drop thousands on components to do things like power condition and play CDs--and this is a box that is packed w/ new technology to handle the uppper thresholds of graphics and HD video. Hell, I watched someone just spend $480 on a Pioneer CLD-99 laserdisc player on Ebay (w/ no remote nor manual). Its a fine piece of equipment, one of the best of its kind...but its how many years old and its video is 1/6th the resolution of 1080P!!! Even apples to apples, the XBOX 360 w/ all the bells-and-whistles to match a similarly equipped PS3 (wireless, HD-DVD drive, etc.) is about the same cost, btw. And no HDMI 1.3, and a kludged 1080P. So what the hell, people?!

I, for one, will go on the record in saying that the PS3 will prove to be the most important home video product to come out this year, bar none. Chased only by Apple's still-to-be-announced 16:9 next-generation video iPod if they decide to 'surpise' us before the holidays. It is the one product to pack the most forward-thinking high-end hardware into an elegantly designed mainstream device...and at $600, its nothing compared to the limited-use niche market products people about AVS bow down to.

But I guess value is lost on some who've lost perspective.

The problem is not with value but choice. Sony doesn't give you a choice to adopt any of the technology included with the PS3. At least if I don't have an HD player, I can choose not too. This is the difference :

Sony says you HAVE to buy it
MS says if you want it, will make it
post #562 of 32090 Old 09-26-2006, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symtex View Post

The problem is not with value but choice. Sony doesn't give you a choice to adopt any of the technology included with the PS3. At least if I don't have an HD player, I can choose not too. This is the difference :

But so what? The choice is whether you buy what's offered to you; Sony has made their decisions for their own reasons, as was their choice.

A product has been offered - buy it if you want, or don't if you won't. What that's inside of the PS3 would you wish they had excluded? And does such inclusion make you wretch to such a degree that it would preclude your purchase on those grounds?

Sony is 'forcing' you to buy a Blu-ray player with PS3 every bit as much as MS is 'forcing' you to buy a DVD player with 360.
post #563 of 32090 Old 09-26-2006, 10:24 AM

Quote:

There are several teirs of gaming. The consumer has a choice as to what they buy. Nintendo offers it's package, MS offer it's package, Sony offer's their package as well. Of course there is also PC gaming.

By buying the 360 you are adopting the technology included, just like the Nintendo just like the PS3. Pretty simple. The choice is yours to make as to what is right for you.

"Hey MS, I want the 360 with a HD-DVD standard and I want it to be used for games? " Oh, they didn't make it.

"MS, I want HDMI 1.3 for my 360. " Oh, they didn't make it.

It seems with the PS3 I can use component or HDMI 1.3

edit: Sure I'd like more out of the Wii as well, like HD gaming an more power but they are what they are.

"Nintendo with the Wii didn't force gamers into paying more for more ram, more expensive GPU, more expensive processors"

I wish they did, just like I wish MS did with the HD-DVD.
post #564 of 32090 Old 09-26-2006, 10:52 AM

Does anyone know if the ps3 AV multi out will be the same as the AV multi out for the PS2?

I have monster component video cables for the ps2. I was hoping I could use the same cables until I buy myself an HDMI to DVI connection.

The cables ran somewhere in the $50 dollar range so If I dont have to waste them I wont.

Also, since my TV is 1080i and not 1080p I dont know if spending a crap load of money on the HDMI to DVI would be worth it at all. Expecially if I end up buying a fairly cheap HDMI to DVI connection and not go with kick ass quality cales from monster, which would cost over $100 for a 8' cable (which Id need).

Oh yeah. This would also help me since I wont have to buy an HDMI cable thats not included with the PS3 (dumbest thing ever)
post #565 of 32090 Old 09-26-2006, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Resistance: Fall of man is 23gigs.....thats over 3 dvds just for a first gen game. Next generation means more space. Hell I'm not gonna pay 250bux for a nintendo system thats barely more powerful then the first xbox. Nintendo even said it them self that they are gonna make a profit off Wii from launch. Screw that, I'd rather pay couple hundred bux more for HD graphics and HD movies.

BTW, noone at sony says you need to buy it. if you think weaker stripped out system is better, there is the Wii and ps2.
post #566 of 32090 Old 09-26-2006, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Actually Sony said we are going to build a true next gen system, it may be expensive but it will be the best we can make it.
MS said we will build a cheaper system using old tech that will shurely fail in Japan but the cheapskates in the states will scoop them up! LOL!

From what I've seen the PS3 is blowing everyone away at TGS, so it looks like Sony did there homework.

"Racing is........Life.......Everything before & after is just waiting"
post #567 of 32090 Old 09-26-2006, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phranctoast View Post

Does anyone know if the ps3 AV multi out will be the same as the AV multi out for the PS2?

I have monster component video cables for the ps2. I was hoping I could use the same cables until I buy myself an HDMI to DVI connection.

The cables ran somewhere in the $50 dollar range so If I dont have to waste them I wont.

Also, since my TV is 1080i and not 1080p I dont know if spending a crap load of money on the HDMI to DVI would be worth it at all. Expecially if I end up buying a fairly cheap HDMI to DVI connection and not go with kick ass quality cales from monster, which would cost over $100 for a 8' cable (which Id need).

Oh yeah. This would also help me since I wont have to buy an HDMI cable thats not included with the PS3 (dumbest thing ever)

From the pictures the connection looks the same, though that doesn't guarantee anything. We'll have to wait and find out.
post #568 of 32090 Old 09-26-2006, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanewalker View Post

at $600, its nothing compared to the limited-use niche market products people about AVS bow down to.

That's certainly true. But bluray won't "win the war" by appealing only to AVS people and a niche market.

Price discussions aren't always about what *we're* willing to pay. Companies on both sides of the war are ultimately hoping that this catches on with the masses.
post #569 of 32090 Old 09-26-2006, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phranctoast View Post

Here's a link to Monoprice's range of HDMI-DVI cables. Choose the length. The longer the length, the more expensive it is. The shorter the length, the cheaper and if it's short, it doesn't matter if it's Mono or Monster cables.

fuad

post #570 of 32090 Old 09-26-2006, 02:20 PM
Advanced Member

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Blu Ray Players , Blu Ray Movies , Sony , Toshiba , Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page