One-and-Only PS3 as Blu-Ray Player Thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 32100 Old 09-29-2006, 11:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ridge Racer 7 looks better then Gears of Wars. why? simple. because the textures look much sharper then on the xbox360.

at the tokyo game show. about 80% of the games microsoft showed on tiny screens. i was wondering why does sony show their games on 46 inch plasma and microoft shows the very view titles they have on very bright and small tvs. The reason is because the visuals will look less on a bigger screen.

dont get me wrong though. gears of war is an excellent game. but it wont look better then rigde racer 7 as launch title. although i know most people dont want to hear that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 32100 Old 09-29-2006, 11:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here's some video footage of PS3's non-finalized GUI, which I think many of you should find interesting as it has an A/V focus at least towards the beginning.

And frankly it's just plain cool overall.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player.p...e=wmv&id=13649
post #633 of 32100 Old 09-30-2006, 12:22 AM

[quote=9158]NOOOOO!
The "only" refers to "using an HDMI cable". So "only using an HDMI cable" can you output 1080p. Try to read the phrase again keeping in mind this interpretation.

LMAO, Do I feel stupid or what.

Which format will win the war? Opinions?
post #634 of 32100 Old 09-30-2006, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbdestroya View Post

Here's some video footage of PS3's non-finalized GUI, which I think many of you should find interesting as it has an A/V focus at least towards the beginning.

xbdestroya, i want to thank you a freaking lot because that video nearly made me come!
The video and audio output options are fantastic!

I frame-stopped to see all the menus and i saw many interesting things, including the fact that the ps3 will support custom resolutions on hdmi! This will make everybody who has a 1366x768 display (like me) and wants to bypass the internal scaler very happy.

Do you know how i can save the video? I tried right-clicking but no luck.

Also Jaret, it seems that what you asked before (using HDMI for video and optical for audio) can be done.
post #635 of 32100 Old 09-30-2006, 01:04 AM
AVS Special Member

I know, it's awesome right?

Anyway to save it - when you're viewing the page on the right hand side of the player window there is a 'save media' button, and you simply click on whether you want it saved as Quicktime or Media Player and take it from there.
post #636 of 32100 Old 09-30-2006, 02:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbdestroya View Post

Thanks. I paused it where it had the screen for resolutions and the person controlling things could have gone at least one more click to the right. I'm hoping that options like 24p are on that next screen.

--Darin

This is the AV Science Forum. Please don't be gullible and please do remember the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
post #637 of 32100 Old 09-30-2006, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darinp2 View Post

I'm hoping that options like 24p are on that next screen.

I hope so, too.

Sony, if you're reading this, give us 1080p24 and 768p60 on HDMI.
post #638 of 32100 Old 09-30-2006, 04:27 AM
tsb
AVS Special Member

Why 768p60?
post #639 of 32100 Old 09-30-2006, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsb View Post

Why 768p60?

Because a lot of people have 1366x768 TVs. 99% of all LCD TVs sold in the last year are that resolution (at least in Europe, where I live). Of course all these TVs can accept 720p, but why rely on cheap internal scalers when you can give them their native resolution?
post #640 of 32100 Old 09-30-2006, 05:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9158 View Post

Because a lot of people have 1366x768 TVs. 99% of all LCD TVs sold in the last year are that resolution (at least in Europe, where I live). Of course all these TVs can accept 720p, but why rely on cheap internal scalers when you can give them their native resolution?

You can start the petition. 768 is also the native display of some widescreen monitors, depending on the size.

If it's not supported out of the box, Sony may do it with firmware updates.

fuad

"DonÂt let them tell you who you are is not enough, that itÂs wrong and that you wonÂt find love. DonÂt let them use my life to put your future down, or tell you that happiness canÂt be found."
post #641 of 32100 Old 09-30-2006, 05:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaret View Post

Can I also use the HDMI output in conjuction with the optical (HDMI for video and optical for audio)? My audio receiver doesn't have HDMI ins and outs.

Yes, you can use optical for audio and HDMI for video simultaneously. You can also use component out for video.
Quote:

Maybe I should just go with the 360 with HD?

If you want HD via 360, you're not going to get Blu-ray. Currently there are more studio exclusives on Blu-ray than there for HD-DVD (only Universal).

fuad

"DonÂt let them tell you who you are is not enough, that itÂs wrong and that you wonÂt find love. DonÂt let them use my life to put your future down, or tell you that happiness canÂt be found."
post #642 of 32100 Old 09-30-2006, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WriteSimple View Post

You can start the petition. 768 is also the native display of some widescreen monitors, depending on the size.

If it's not supported out of the box, Sony may do it with firmware updates.

fuad

Good idea.
So, who wants 1080p24 and 768p60 output for PS3?
post #643 of 32100 Old 09-30-2006, 08:41 AM

Quote:

Yes, you can use optical for audio and HDMI for video simultaneously. You can also use component out for video.
If you want HD via 360, you're not going to get Blu-ray. Currently there are more studio exclusives on Blu-ray than there for HD-DVD (only Universal).

fuad

Maybe I need to get both.

That clip showing all the features was freakin amazing. I need to go put down a deposit today.
post #644 of 32100 Old 09-30-2006, 03:51 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by d3code View Post

Ridge Racer 7 looks better then Gears of Wars. why? simple. because the textures look much sharper then on the xbox360.

at the tokyo game show. about 80% of the games microsoft showed on tiny screens. i was wondering why does sony show their games on 46 inch plasma and microoft shows the very view titles they have on very bright and small tvs. The reason is because the visuals will look less on a bigger screen.

dont get me wrong though. gears of war is an excellent game. but it wont look better then rigde racer 7 as launch title. although i know most people dont want to hear that.

and the award for the fanboy post of the week goes too..d3code. That is gotta to be the most innacurate, fanboy post I have ever heard...ever. If you believe that, then you need a new pair of lens. Seriously.
post #645 of 32100 Old 09-30-2006, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symtex View Post

and the award for the fanboy post of the week goes too..d3code. That is gotta to be the most innacurate, fanboy post I have ever heard...ever. If you believe that, then you need a new pair of lens. Seriously.

So which part of it was innacurate? And to be more to the point, did you go to TGS 2006? Did you compare Ridge Racer on a 46" plasma against Gears of Wars on a similar setup?

fuad

post #646 of 32100 Old 09-30-2006, 06:54 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:

So which part of it was innacurate? And to be more to the point, did you go to TGS 2006? Did you compare Ridge Racer on a 46" plasma against Gears of Wars on a similar setup?

fuad

How can you even consider comparing Ridge Racer to Gears of Wars ? Maybe if you would said GT HD, I could of said maybe you got a point but this is a ridiculous statement. All major gaming site, including IGN and Gamspot, have said it : Gears of Wars is like the E3 killzone 2 CG but in REAL-TIME.
post #647 of 32100 Old 09-30-2006, 09:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Guys, take all this gaming talk over to the PS3 Gaming Forum.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #648 of 32100 Old 09-30-2006, 11:17 PM
AVS Special Member

symtex. you missunderstand the difference i try to explain. this must be because of my bad english.

so let me explain it more.

gears of war has more detail in the textures then ridge racer 7.

but in the end it is what the eye catches on screen.

ridge racer 7 has sharper looking textures, a far horizon, amazing use of color pallete.
and ofcourse ridge racer 7 is in 1080p.

also games like Lair and motorstorm surpasses Gears of war in every graphical detail. but those games wont be released this year.

i hope you understand now better.

also i have a xbox360 and for 100% i buy gears of war. but to say it is the best looking game out there. i dont agree. also gears what i saw has framerate issues and a very bad camera. i seriously think that some people will get motion sickness of it .
post #649 of 32100 Old 09-30-2006, 11:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 43
ps3=xbox360 + blu-ray. its funny to hear all the fanboy talk when the specs add up to roughly the same performance.

what I want to know is how will the ps3 process video. will it be all cell? I personaly hope so since invidia graphic chipsets have been known to not be very good for video playback. I'm no expert on the topic but that's what should be important here. assuming blu-ray gets some great movie software its live or die by the ps3. the stand alones won't move in quantity so what has sony shown on actual ps3 movie playback from actual software and not some hype demo disc or behind a glass case?

d3code- you just killed me by saying lair beats gow. I was honoring your opinion until then, that is ridiculous. lair/warhawk are easily the most underwhelming titles sony has shown besides legends.
post #650 of 32100 Old 10-01-2006, 01:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Well who knows? Maybe starting in January they will guarantee a PS3 with every 40" Bravia HDTV you buy- bundled price, of course.

Doesn't Samsung make Sony's Bravia line? LOL

Last Watched 3D: Oz the Great and Powerful

It should be called Violet-Ray

post #651 of 32100 Old 10-01-2006, 01:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WirelessGuru View Post

Doesn't Samsung make Sony's Bravia line? LOL

No, the manufacturing plants you are thinking of are in Korea, but they (it) are owned by a Sony/Samsung 50/50 joint venture by the name of S-LCD. This plant (soon another) is the one that produces the high-quality 7th gen LCD panels used in both Samsung and Sony's best TVs, and was actually an initiative conceptualized by Ken Kutaragi when he was still head of electronics before the restructuring post-Stringer. In fact, Sony owes Kutaragi much for the recent rebound/turnaround in their TV business - his contemporaries at the time were still very CRT minded. It was he who decided they needed to pursue LCD full throttle and decided to approach Samsung to share their patents to produce 'the best' there was.

Here's the press release info for the original 7th gen plant built in 2004: http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/News/Pr...0407/04-0715E/

And here's their recent agreement to expand the joint-venture to a new 8th gen plant as well:

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/News/Pr...14E/index.html
post #652 of 32100 Old 10-01-2006, 02:41 AM
AVS Special Member

gattiman,

Lair kicks GOW all over the place. i mean serioulsly you dont know what you talking about.

comparing warhawk with lair is a huge insult ,graphics wise to Lair. i have seen and played warhaw at tokyo game show. and the graphics were so so. Lair however is amazing.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3154113

if you click that link. you can check out a videostream where they show good footage of gears of war, lair and some other games in 1 stream. also you can hear 1 of creators of Lair talk about his game. and explain in technical terms about the game and how it could never ever have been created on a xbox360.

xbox360=ps3 is untrue. ps3 > xbox360 = true

that doesnt mean xbox360 is bad. not at all. there are some great games on it and i cant wait to play mass effect, gears of war, en bioshock. but i am aware that what sony is doing with the ps3, is going into true next generation. it is maybe hard to accept for people who are so xbox360 minded, but once you have seen and played lair or motorstorm you can understand.

you see i can accept the xbox360 for what it is. a very nice console for now. it give me the needs i have now. but after the TGS i understand, like many other people who were there the future is PS3.

why stay in the past when i can play the future? you only live once!
post #653 of 32100 Old 10-01-2006, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

you do realize factor5 is exclusively sony so therefore they are going to hype the ps3 non-stop. so anything they have to say is really just hype. yes I've seen lair and the in-game is nothing like their tech demo or cinemas. its still an all right game but not on par with lost odyssey, blue dragon, kane and lynch, gow, or even resistance ( a ps3 title). ridge racer is also not impressive imo since rr games are all flash (no physics or realism) unlike gt or forza. rr's appeal is mainly in japan. I'm sorry but nothing I've seen from tgs has chaged my opinion but I'm open to change since I will own both (not that I expect any). as for your comments about the 360 not looking "sharp" the games look outstanding on my big sxrd lol. another point is I've read many reviews of played demos for gow and no one brings up any of what you have said even the slanted 1up.com loves gow.

I would also like to nip the whole devil may cry shows how great the ps3 is stuff in the bud since it runs on the same engine as lost world/dead rising which are both 360 games (excellent ones).

perhaps d3code would like to explain why assasins creed (ubisoft) so far looks better on the 360 than the ps3?
post #654 of 32100 Old 10-01-2006, 08:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

post #655 of 32100 Old 10-01-2006, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

I just saw the Harrison-PS3-Menu-demo video today. I must say... It's FREAKY! On its capabilities alone it is worth more than US$600. I foresee how Sony can recoup their investments with the sale of Bluetooth keyboard/mouse set, the BD remote and the adapter for the PS2 memory card.

If Sony themselves will not issue a Rumble controller, other companies can do that. Force-feedback steering wheels and pedals can also be sold.

This thing is truly revolutionary.

fuad

post #656 of 32100 Old 10-01-2006, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

WS- please explain why the ps3 is revolutionary? my cell phone can use a bluetooth mouse and keyboard.
post #657 of 32100 Old 10-01-2006, 12:19 PM

Quote:

I just saw the Harrison-PS3-Menu-demo video today. I must say... It's FREAKY! On its capabilities alone it is worth more than US$600. I foresee how Sony can recoup their investments with the sale of Bluetooth keyboard/mouse set, the BD remote and the adapter for the PS2 memory card.

If Sony themselves will not issue a Rumble controller, other companies can do that. Force-feedback steering wheels and pedals can also be sold.

This thing is truly revolutionary.

fuad

And first HD movie player with HDMI 1.3 as well as being the least expensive MSRP (tied with the much less functinal Toshiba HD-DVD).
post #658 of 32100 Old 10-01-2006, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatti-man View Post

WS- please explain why the ps3 is revolutionary? my cell phone can use a bluetooth mouse and keyboard.

Why should I explain myself? My POV is a lightyears different from yours. My explanation will not in any way sway you from forming your own conclusions.

Watch the clip then decide for yourself. (This is the low-res clip)

fuad

post #659 of 32100 Old 10-01-2006, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by briankmonkey View Post

And first HD movie player with HDMI 1.3 as well as being the least expensive MSRP (tied with the much less functinal Toshiba HD-DVD).

The Toshiba does play HD-DVD well enough. But the PS3 is more fun! And looks much more high tech.

In the immortal words of Andy of Little Britain, "I want that one!"

fuad

post #660 of 32100 Old 10-01-2006, 12:51 PM

Quote:

The Toshiba does play HD-DVD well enough. But the PS3 is more fun! And looks much more high tech.

In the immortal words of Andy of Little Britain, "I want that one!"

fuad

Well if the Toshiba played PS3 games or Xbox360 games for the same price of the PS3 I would have bought one
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Blu Ray Players , Blu Ray Movies , Sony , Toshiba , Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page