One-and-Only PS3 as Blu-Ray Player Thread - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 32100 Old 10-04-2006, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
add a IR port, more people bitch thats its even more expensive. I give up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 32100 Old 10-04-2006, 09:28 AM

Well the 360 has an IR port. IR ports are cheap. It's a strange decision to go with Bluetooth insdead of good old IR.

And why aren't they packing the thing with the top model. Isn't this supose to be a Blu Ray player?
post #723 of 32100 Old 10-04-2006, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Sure its quiet, but at what cost?

But a report from Macquarie Equities analyst David Gibson is causing worries, with descriptions of erratic behavior of display units, says the AP (via Washington Post).

Investors worried about the product after Macquarie Equities analyst David Gibson wrote in a report that PlayStation 3 units on display at the Tokyo Game Show about 10 days ago operated erratically and had to be repeatedly reset.

"While the reason for this is unknown, we suspect it may be due to overheating as a result of enclosing the units and the high temperatures at the venue," Gibson wrote in the report Monday. "We are concerned that such a problem has occurred so close to full production and is clearly negative news for the company."

This is of course from Jason who gives us very good news on what's going on. I recently speculated that it would have heating issues, as the 360 had/has. This can be a larger issues with the PS3 given the nature of the build and the space it is confined in. I doubt it will be a problem with movie playback, but gaming certainly will generate heat, especially if continued for hours. Kinda puts a cramp in any RPG gamer's style...

***Warning*** Do not look into laser with remaining eye!!
post #724 of 32100 Old 10-04-2006, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member

They could easily add an IR blaster and remote via the USB ports on the front...just like they had the IR DVD remote for the PS2, which worked fine w/ universals. I wouldn't be surprised that even if Sony doesn't provide this solution, a 3rd party will.

I, too, find it quite odd that they wouldn't include IR. And that a remote wouldn't come standard w/ the high-end model. They HAVE to know that Blu-ray playback is part of the premium folks are looking for...and what better way to sell it to the fence-sitters than to include a remote that begs to be used for such a purpose?

As for the overheating issue:

I find it alarming w/ these early units...it could be that the PS3 is just as unreliable as the XBOX 360 at launch. BUT, I'd say its entirely feasible that the kiosks that lacked good ventilation, i.e. special circumstances of the venue, did indeed contribute to the PS3 issues and that it wouldn't have such problems in the typical consumer home. Hell, my DVR is prone to overheating if you shove it in a rack that doesn't have proper airflow...that's the price you pay for boxes packed full of 'the goods'. Personally, I'm not as concerned and think its being over-hyped. But we'll see won't we?

Champion of truth, beauty and misunderstood giant killer robots.
post #725 of 32100 Old 10-04-2006, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 43
being "as unreliable as the 360" is exactly where the ps3 has always been headed. both consoles offer cutting edge tech (for their respective launch times) and yeah you can expect overheating problems and other failures out of launch poducts. same thing was reported about the 360 prior to launch. not a big deal unless sony isn't good about replacing units like ms.
post #726 of 32100 Old 10-04-2006, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsb View Post

BT remote confirmed! Sorry if this has already been posted:

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/736/736936p1.html

Finally no Ir crap.

Dang.

I control all my audio/video components and lights/dimmers with a single IR remote. I don't want another remote.
post #727 of 32100 Old 10-04-2006, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

NYKO® BRINGS INTERECOOLER TO PLAYSTATION 3

Quote:

LOS ANGELES - October 3, 2006 - Nyko Technologies®, a premier peripherals manufacturer, announced that they will be releasing the Intercooler for Sony's PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system this holiday season. This device easily connects to the PlayStation 3 using patent-pending technology that works with the systems power port and vent system. Once attached, the high-efficiency external fan placement dramatically increases internal air flow and allows the console to run at optimal temperature levels. The Intercooler for the PlayStation 3 will be available between $19.99 and $29.99 at major retailers.

The Intercooler for the Xbox 360 is a hit with gamers and critics, providing piece of mind that their state-of-the-art next generation console is running at optimal performance levels, said Chris Arbogast, Marketing Manager at Nyko Technologies. We are confident that the Intercooler for the PlayStation 3 will deliver equally impressive results for consumers that demand the most from their console while protecting their investment.

More information about Nyko Technologies is available at www.nyko.com.

post #728 of 32100 Old 10-04-2006, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemorel View Post

NYKO® BRINGS INTERECOOLER TO PLAYSTATION 3

Not surprising after how successful they were with the xbox360. They can play off those fears with the PS3 as well.

"Nyko Intercooler 360 Achieves Record Breaking Sales Options "
post #729 of 32100 Old 10-04-2006, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm just gonna buy the 80dollar replacement plan for 3 years.
post #730 of 32100 Old 10-04-2006, 02:38 PM

I think it's great the remote is BlueTooth. Sure, it will be a pain for people with have universal controls for their HTs, but in time, it is more and more likely that remotes will replace IR by bluetooth, because it's non-directional and not very expensive(more expensive than IR, for sure...)
Hopefully, a third-party will create an USB-IR receiver and remote-control for those needing to integrate universal controls.(The PS3 is considered a media center for the HT by Sony...)
post #731 of 32100 Old 10-04-2006, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by briankmonkey View Post

Not surprising after how successful they were with the xbox360. They can play off those fears with the PS3 as well.

"Nyko Intercooler 360 Achieves Record Breaking Sales Options "

How effective did the cooler cools off the 360? Did it generate more noise? Did it mask of 360s noise?

Ultimately for Nyko to convince people that this is what they need (like selling refrigerators to Inuits in winter), the unit has to be as quiet as the PS3 and merges with the design instead of being very obtrusive.

I think a cheaper solution would be this.

Cheap and easy and it'll add that Ambilight feel to it.

fuad

"DonÂt let them tell you who you are is not enough, that itÂs wrong and that you wonÂt find love. DonÂt let them use my life to put your future down, or tell you that happiness canÂt be found."
post #732 of 32100 Old 10-04-2006, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WriteSimple View Post

How effective did the cooler cools off the 360? Did it generate more noise? Did it mask of 360s noise?

Ultimately for Nyko to convince people that this is what they need (like selling refrigerators to Inuits in winter), the unit has to be as quiet as the PS3 and merges with the design instead of being very obtrusive.

fuad

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob316 View Post

My experience with the cooler has been good the top and back of my 360 is very cool and you can feel the hot air being pumped out of the back of the cooler. I have had zero problems with it to each their own I guess.

Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quikzilver View Post

I can't believe how many intercooler haters there are out there. I bought one and it was definitely worth $20. Is it sad that a console requires this type of accessory in the first place, yes, but do I want to keep exchanging consoles with microsoft due to excess heat-related issues, no. Thanks Nyko!

....Have you tried the intercooler out? It makes a very noticeable difference in the temperature of the console. All you have to do is place your hand towards the back of the console without the intercooler, then let the 360 run with the intercooler for about 10 minutes and place your hand on the same area. It is much, much cooler. Don't tell me that's a placebo effect, lol.

Coments from here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=730021
post #733 of 32100 Old 10-05-2006, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Long thread, lots of game talk. Did anyone actually see any reports of BD-ROM playback on the PS3 at TGS?
post #734 of 32100 Old 10-05-2006, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

I 2nd that. anyone have any real details about video playback for the ps3?
post #735 of 32100 Old 10-05-2006, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemorel View Post

Long thread, lots of game talk. Did anyone actually see any reports of BD-ROM playback on the PS3 at TGS?

It is Tokyo Game Show hence the focus on games. No reports from any gaming sites have reported BD movie playback at TGS.

fuad

"DonÂt let them tell you who you are is not enough, that itÂs wrong and that you wonÂt find love. DonÂt let them use my life to put your future down, or tell you that happiness canÂt be found."
post #736 of 32100 Old 10-06-2006, 02:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The Ps3 is a good bluray player. i have seen it now a couple of times in action and it looks good. when i saw the sony bsd 1000 next to it. i couldnt see any difference in the PQ quality.
post #737 of 32100 Old 10-06-2006, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

wonderful news......I'm starting to get really pumped about a new console. been a long time coming for the ps3.
post #738 of 32100 Old 10-06-2006, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3code View Post

The Ps3 is a good bluray player. i have seen it now a couple of times in action and it looks good. when i saw the sony bsd 1000 next to it. i couldnt see any difference in the PQ quality.

Sweet
post #739 of 32100 Old 10-06-2006, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

With the Cell processor, I hope the PS3 can do trick play, like playing the movie in reverse without the judder - ala DVSP7000/7700. That would be sweet.

In other news, from PSM3Mag.com:
Quote:

OK. Here's the independent, non-Sony approved truth. We've played a PS3, for a day, in a room, with it on a table in front of us. At no stage did anyone comment about the noise it made (ie, next to none). And a collegue put his hand behind the machine after it had been running for a few hours and felt warm air being quietly and safely extracted via a fan via the vents at the back of the machine. The surface of the machine remained at room temperature with a small portion at the back being 'warm'. Not hot - 'warm'.

So, the PSM3 independent verdict here is that - quote - "PS3 generates less heat and noise than the combination of 360 and powerbrick".

Somebody should throw that analyst in a Guantanamo cell.

fuad

post #740 of 32100 Old 10-06-2006, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by d3code View Post

Could PS3 play/stream MPEG2-TS from NAS or USB HDD? How about DLNA?

HDPLEX
post #741 of 32100 Old 10-06-2006, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

With the Cell processor, I hope the PS3 can do trick play, like playing the movie in reverse without the judder - ala DVSP7000/7700. That would be sweet.

In other news, from PSM3Mag.com:

Somebody should throw that analyst in a Guantanamo cell.

fuad

That is GREAT news
post #742 of 32100 Old 10-06-2006, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

My 2 year old progressive scan dvd player took a dump last night. I've got a backup dvd player that I thik I'll use till PS3 comes out. No sense in spending money on a hd dvd player, or even an upconverting player, if I can get the PS3 in a few months.
post #743 of 32100 Old 10-06-2006, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandiegojoe View Post

My 2 year old progressive scan dvd player took a dump last night. I've got a backup dvd player that I thik I'll use till PS3 comes out. No sense in spending money on a hd dvd player, or even an upconverting player, if I can get the PS3 in a few months.

Awww. Well hopefully you'll get one before Christmas.

fuad

post #744 of 32100 Old 10-06-2006, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Awww. Well hopefully you'll get one before Christmas.

fuad

Not too big of a rush if I can't get one. I don't feel like I'm missing too much in the meantime.
post #745 of 32100 Old 10-06-2006, 01:31 PM

I saw the demo of photos and the music player, looked great. But does anyone know if the PS3 will be able to access photos and music across a network, such as say my XP machine? Or will we need a Linux box or a dedicated NAS device?

thanks
post #746 of 32100 Old 10-07-2006, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

From Next-Gen.Biz
Quote:
ITmedia reported the results of a Japanese survey, which asked respondents to mark which next generation console they plan to buy by the end of the year.

The Wii came out on top with a 40 percent share, but the more expensive PlayStation 3 followed very close behind with 39 percent.

fuad

post #747 of 32100 Old 10-07-2006, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

I guess TGS did have an impact. Interesting numbers considering the price difference...

NilsP

Life is better in HD.
post #748 of 32100 Old 10-07-2006, 07:42 PM

PSWii?

I'll stick with my Wii60 for now!
post #749 of 32100 Old 10-07-2006, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

what were the realities of the survey? the last credible survey I saw had the ps3 way below the wii in japan.
post #750 of 32100 Old 10-08-2006, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid666au View Post

I'm disapointed with the remote. You can't use with any of the learning remotes, so there's always an aditional remote you have to use. Looks like Sony where to stingy to put an IR port on the PS3.

Well, Sony is using Bluetooth for the controllers.

I do not think IR would be too good for that purpose.

Maybe all audio equipment should start implementing Bluetooth in the future instead of antiquated IR?
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Blu Ray Players , Blu Ray Movies , Sony , Toshiba , Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page