post #61 of 32090 Old 02-09-2006, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavidson View Post

No, thats not right. Ken himself said the PS3 would NOT have a hard drive because any size HD Sony could offer would not be enough. I believe that is exactally what he said.

Sounds stupid I know, but thats what he said.

No word yet if PS3 will be a DLNA-equipment but I think if the LAN connection at the back of the PS3 (originally they had 3 but now only one, last I heard) can be used to connect to HDDs as part of your network (directly or through a server) then bundled or proprietary HD drives would matter only to those who don't want LAN HDDs.

The bundled HDDs would work great for saving games but not for any other media usage that PS3 seems to be geared for.

fuad

"DonÂt let them tell you who you are is not enough, that itÂs wrong and that you wonÂt find love. DonÂt let them use my life to put your future down, or tell you that happiness canÂt be found."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 32090 Old 02-10-2006, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
PS to have a hard drive after all?

For the record, I had already noticed the writer's very definitive phrasing about a hard drive on the PS3. Glad someone else was awake too.

Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows.
-George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four
post #63 of 32090 Old 02-10-2006, 04:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubert View Post

PS to have a hard drive after all?

For the record, I had already noticed the writer's very definitive phrasing about a hard drive on the PS3. Glad someone else was awake too.

With all the misinformation floating around, I wouldn't be suprised if we see a "PS3 to Cure Cancer" article next.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #64 of 32090 Old 02-10-2006, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

With all the misinformation floating around, I wouldn't be suprised if we see a "PS3 to Cure Cancer" article next.

If that's true then I guess they rethought the original plan quite a bit. Perhaps influenced by developer input?

Quote:
Matsuhara seems to know very little about the PS3 at this point -- or, at least, he wasn't willing to get into details at the event. Regarding the system's supposed Spring launch, he commented jokingly, "Spring is being said, but it will likely be an extremely hot Spring." Matsuhara stated that he's been asking for a hard disk to be included with the system as standard, but he's not sure what will happen.

And according to the original source which they claim has Sony insider access it's also going to sell between $350 & $400. So that's BR, a "massive" harddrive and oh yeah plays great video games too all for <= $400? No complaints from me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Insider thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
? R.I.P.
Nothing will ever be attempted if all possible objections must first be overcome.
Samuel Johnson 1709-1784, British Author
post #65 of 32090 Old 02-13-2006, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Followed by a "PS3 to Cause Cancer" article

Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows.
post #66 of 32090 Old 02-13-2006, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

The hilarious part about all this is that you could pretty much take most of the news articles (hype and gloom-and-doom) that came out before the PS2/Emotion Engine and X-Box, do a search-and-replace with PS3/Cell, and you'd be hard-pressed to tell the difference.

"When I get sad I just stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story."
--Barney Stinson, How I Met Your Mother

post #67 of 32090 Old 02-28-2006, 05:52 AM

Quote:

Well the PS2 was said to be hoarded by Saddam to launch scud missles with.

So I won't be surprised when the PS3 does cure cancer.
post #68 of 32090 Old 02-28-2006, 06:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

First post overhauled. Y'all might want to have a look at it.

post #69 of 32090 Old 02-28-2006, 07:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

First post overhauled. Y'all might want to have a look at it.

Wow. Someone's gotta get tipped for that kind of effort! Did the good Doc do all that?!

Nice! Very handy.

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #70 of 32090 Old 02-28-2006, 07:47 AM

It should be noted that the FAQ from IGN is from July 2005, over 6 months old. I believe some of that info has already changed. I think 2 of the three network jacks and router functionality have been dropped.

Of course I don't have a source link anymore though.
post #71 of 32090 Old 02-28-2006, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q of BanditZ View Post

Wow. Someone's gotta get tipped for that kind of effort! Did the good Doc do all that?!

Doc put the links to the other threads on the forum. I compiled the FAQ and the news.

post #72 of 32090 Old 02-28-2006, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Doc put the links to the other threads on the forum. I compiled the FAQ and the news.

Nicely done Grubert,

I recently posted this article(2/23/06) on another PS3 thread which you may want to add to post #1 --for which some people may find interesting.

http://www.thestreet.com/_yahoo/tech...FREE&cm_ite=NA
post #73 of 32090 Old 02-28-2006, 09:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Nice work by all.

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #74 of 32090 Old 02-28-2006, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penton-Man View Post

Nicely done Grubert,

I recently posted this article(2/23/06) on another PS3 thread which you may want to add to post #1 --for which some people may find interesting.

http://www.thestreet.com/_yahoo/tech...FREE&cm_ite=NA

I agree with the author that a delay into fall doesn't affect the console race or even the hd optical race too much. The numbers that they launch with in the fall will have some impact, but the PS brand still has a lot wiggle room with gamers. Some gamers where thinking Spring Japan/Summer US but most weren't banking on that. The question of whether this delay is Summer Japan/Fall US or Fall Japan/07 US will matter a lot more.

A real delay is a delay into 2007, and as the author states, that would open up a significant opportunity to get traction for MS and for Nintendo as well. MS wasn't able to take too much advantage of the early launch in real numbers due to the supply problems but they were able to position themselves and Iron out their issues which sets a the stage for a strong 2006. They were able to get the 360 train up on the tracks and rolling.

A lot of "positioning" is occuring right now. Sony's positioning is mostly behind the scenes though so I don't think we really know much there until after E3 and possibly into summer when we see what guns they'll have ready for Christmas 2006.

Insider thread
? R.I.P.
Nothing will ever be attempted if all possible objections must first be overcome.
post #75 of 32090 Old 02-28-2006, 02:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Don't expect any revelations this week, it appears...

Blurb in today's CED on the Destination Playstation conference currently underway in Miami...some insiders had expected Sony to share *some* pricing and release date info with its partners at this closed-to-the-press event, but it now looks like nothing much is being said...EA, attending, said nothing big/new was likely to surface until E3 at earliest, they were 100% in the dark on specifics, but confirmed that they were planning for a "late summer" release for Japan...spring ain't gonna happen (duh).

Alex doesn't live here anymore
post #76 of 32090 Old 02-28-2006, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, EA said they alone will have 8-12 games for PS3 launch...

Also, last month Ken K. stated that he wants PS3 to support HDMI 1.3 (mainly for 36-bit color support) but said the console would not be delayed to include it...

Well, if there is going to be a delay to the Japanese launch anyway (it seem like this might be the case) then that would bode well HDMI 1.3 support in PS3...

Also, since CELL is handling all media processing abilities, I don't see why it wouldnt also support/decode DTHD, dts-HD and Dolby Digital Plus in software....during Blu-ray movie playback, CELL would have lots of CPU cycles to spare so it should be trivial...
post #77 of 32090 Old 02-28-2006, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amillians View Post

Don't expect any revelations this week, it appears...

Blurb in today's CED on the Destination Playstation conference currently underway in Miami...some insiders had expected Sony to share *some* pricing and release date info with its partners at this closed-to-the-press event, but it now looks like nothing much is being said...EA, attending, said nothing big/new was likely to surface until E3 at earliest, they were 100% in the dark on specifics, but confirmed that they were planning for a "late summer" release for Japan...spring ain't gonna happen (duh).

I guess that must answer this analysts expectations that some PS3 info would emerge at this event:

Quote:

McNealy's report also touched on Sony's PlayStation 3 to note that he expects new information on the next-generation console to come out of the Destination PlayStation retail event in Miami, saying: "We expect Sony to give some directional information on the PS3 about launch plans and pricing, but we believe it is more likely that Sony will keep its commentary to a high level about the PS3 rather than specifics.

The keynote address is expected to be tomorrow morning." In addition, McNealy noted: "Also, [Sony] is expected to host an event around Blu-Ray for the media industry in southern California on Tuesday morning. We believe this could mean a flurry of public announcements from movie studios around movies to be sold in the Blu-Ray format later this year."

Interestingly enough that's part of a report where the analyst also think the 360 is picking up steam for 2006. PS3 may need to arrive by fall not only for BR sake, but also to protect that console gaming dominance.

Quote:

Senior analyst P.J. McNealy of American Technology Research has published a new note estimating that Microsoft will sell greater-than-anticipated amounts of its Xbox 360 console, eclipsing even the company's own sales estimates.

Insider thread
? R.I.P.
post #78 of 32090 Old 02-28-2006, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahlsim View Post

PS3 may need to arrive by fall not only for BR sake, but also to protect that console gaming dominance.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, a prolonged delay by Sony will hurt them. People can speculate all they want regarding the PS 3's superior capabilities (which I agree is superior). But, we are talking money here and I don't think the typical consumer will wait to long to get their gaming fix. People want to play their games and watch their Blu-Ray (or HD-DVD) today, not 12 or 14 months down the road. If they feel that the system is delayed to long to wait, they won't wait, they'll buy what is available that day. I think the only thing that is working in Sony's favor right now is Microsofts inability to get enough Xbox 360's out the door. Sony needs to learn from this and get enough units to the sales floor to slow Microsofts sales.

I was talking to an executive for Fry's Electronics the other day about the availability of the Xbox 360. He expressed his continued frustration with the limited amount of units that Microsoft could provide. He showed me figures for one store which indicated the units were selling out within an hour of arrival on a consistent basis.

Everywhere you look you see a lot of nervous reaction by investors and the media concerning delays by Sony. Trust me, if Sony delays past next Christmas, Microsoft will have their production problems worked out. When/if that happens, look out Sony.

Know your role and shut your hole!
post #79 of 32090 Old 03-02-2006, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/03/02/ps...station-event/

Quote:

PS3 is a no-show at Sony's PlayStation Event

With just one day remaining before the end of Sony's invite-only "Destination PlayStation" event in Miami, video game industry insiders at the event remain "very much in the dark" about Sony's launch plans for the PlayStation 3 console, reported Consumer Electronics Daily.

This could be interpreted as another data point supporting the theory that the PS3's launch schedule has slipped. Or it could just be all part of a master plan to catch the world by surprise with a surprise unveiling. Either way, our impatience grows.

post #80 of 32090 Old 03-02-2006, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone know if there will be a DVD remote available for the PS3? It seems like that is the major thing missing in terms of using the PS2 as a DVD player is that it's annoying trying to use a game controller for your remote control. The PS3 already has wireless technology, so it seems like a real DVD remote for it as an add-on if nothing else would be a no-brainer. If such a thing will be available, I'll probably just get a PS3 and use it as both my gaming system as well as my movie player.
post #81 of 32090 Old 03-02-2006, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Or it could just be all part of a master plan to catch the world by surprise with a surprise unveiling.

IMO this would be a mistake, if the PS3 were really ready for a surprise unveiling Sony would want to tell everyone so as to stop the PlayStation faithful from bolting and picking up a 360, as many might do when they hear the PS3 is going to be a while.
post #82 of 32090 Old 03-02-2006, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Besides some fans making alternate plans, it can also cause developers to adjust plans.

http://www.totalvideogames.com/news/...413_4561_0.htm

Quote:

It's believed the shots released back in May 2005 were from concepts on the Playstation 3, so whether the continued issues facing the format's launch have had any effect on the title is currently unknown; it's entirely possible that Ubisoft are just holding back until becoming more confident of when the PS3 will actually arrive.

Attempts to clarify the situation with Ubisoft representatives were met with a wall of silence, but hopefully TVG will hopefully have further information soon.

Insider thread
? R.I.P.
post #83 of 32090 Old 03-03-2006, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Very good compilation of PS3 information here: http://www.1up.com/do/feature?pager....=1&cId=3148332

post #84 of 32090 Old 03-06-2006, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
On the subject of the PS3 as a blu-ray player, I am really suspect on how good the quality is going to be. The standalone Sony player has recently been announced to that it will sell for $999 in august. Can they really have a PS3 with blu-ray sell for 500-600 and be a decent player? If so then why even bother releasing a $999 player if the PS3 can do what this player can do and more?

Even if you don't care about playing games, if the quality was good why would I buy anything else? Which is why I'm a little suspect on the quality of the PS3 vs a standalone. Anyone have any ideas on the reason for a huge price difference (if the PS3 does get released for around $600)

post #85 of 32090 Old 03-06-2006, 07:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chap View Post

On the subject of the PS3 as a blu-ray player, I am really suspect on how good the quality is going to be. The standalone Sony player has recently been announced to that it will sell for $999 in august. Can they really have a PS3 with blu-ray sell for 500-600 and be a decent player? If so then why even bother releasing a $999 player if the PS3 can do what this player can do and more?

Even if you don't care about playing games, if the quality was good why would I buy anything else? Which is why I'm a little suspect on the quality of the PS3 vs a standalone. Anyone have any ideas on the reason for a huge price difference (if the PS3 does get released for around $600)

A standalone will be superior. That's a given.

None of these gaming systems have ever been very good as DVD players. I suspect that trend will continue right along.

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #86 of 32090 Old 03-06-2006, 08:48 AM

Sony's new PlayStation 3 was widely expected to be introduced this spring, but will be delayed as the company fine-tunes the chips that are crucial to the success of the console's Blu-ray function.

The PlayStation 3 --- which is being called "the poor man's Blue-ray" --- is vital to Sony's plans because it plays Blu-ray discs as well as videogames.

Sony will roll out the PS3 by year end, in time for the holidays. If PS3 "delivers what everyone thinks it will, the game is up," Stringer boasts.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...8&cs=1&s=h&p=0
post #87 of 32090 Old 03-06-2006, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

An interview with Howard Stringer in the "Hollywood Reporter" said that the PS3 would be coming out for "Holiday 2006." This was back in early November last year, and yet people were still expecting it this Spring. Why didn't anyone want to believe the article?

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr..._id=1001393147
post #88 of 32090 Old 03-06-2006, 08:55 AM

I guess cause the *OFFICIAL* SONY site still says Spring 2006.

http://playstation.com/products.html
post #89 of 32090 Old 03-06-2006, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

We have already a PS3 thread in this forum (sticky at the top), and a thread discussing possible delays: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=647120

post #90 of 32090 Old 03-07-2006, 06:05 PM
Advanced Member

Compeq said to land PCB orders for Sony PS3, but company also faces flaws in its 3G handset PCBs

Quote:

Compeq Manufacturing, a leading Taiwan-based PCB maker, has secured an HDI (high density interconnect) board order for Sony PS3 game consoles, with volume shipments to begin between the end of June and early July, market sources indicated.

Compeq declined to comment on the report.

However, rumors have recently circulated that Motorola has returned third-generation (3G) handset PCBs to Compeq due to quality issues. In addition, Compeq may suffer a fine due to the product flaws.

While not naming any customers, Compeq explained that the handset PCB flaw only appears in a small quantity of shipments and should not affect the company's results.

Link
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Blu Ray Players , Blu Ray Movies , Sony , Toshiba , Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page