post #991 of 32095 Old 11-08-2006, 08:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTV TiVo Dealer View Post

Found this on another forum, not sure if it has ben posted here yet.

Sony's Phil Harrison has admitted that the company "overreached" with its decision to include a Blu-ray drive in PlayStation 3.

-Robert

One thing he said in there was:

""But that's the price you pay for adopting brand new, leading-edge technologies that will be future proof. We will resolve those issues - we are already catching up."

And he's right. You take a risk upfront from long term rewards.

We'll see how it goes.

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 32095 Old 11-08-2006, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

This is an interesting article from BusinessWeek.com

Some choice quotes:
Quote:

He says newsreels of miserable, huddled consumers waiting forlornly on sidewalks are very damaging. What people can't deal with is bad information, he says. "When we communicate that number [of units] we'll deliver against it. We're going to try to accommodate as many people as possible. We're going to avoid creating false expectations. Retailers will know their quantities well in advance of opening their doors. They'll say, this is the quantity we have to work with, we're going to distribute numbers, if you've got one of those numbers, you're good to go. If you didn't, I'm sorry, we'll do the best we can to have subsequent supply.'

So you don't have somebody who waits hours upon hours only to find out that they aren't getting one.

On that 400,000 figure

For Tretton, the task at hand isn't just about getting as close as possible to that previously suggested 400,000-unit figure, but also in backing up the launch with new supplies, prior to the Holidays. The first question out of a retailer's mouth is when are you going to have more?' We will provide subsequent information that says, here's when the next shipment is coming and here's what you can expect.' So they can give consumers accurate information.

As is well documented, one component in particular is causing the problem - the Blu-ray laser diode. I'm like everybody else. I'm saying come on! Just build em, man! What's so complicated?' But think about what that blue laser diode has to do. It has to read audio CDs, standard DVDs, Blu-ray DVDs, PlayStation 1 games, PlayStation 2 games, and PlayStation 3 games. Six completely different formats that have nothing to do with each other and you're going to have one device that's going to read all those.

That's a tremendous concept. But when you turn to the engineers and say go build that for me,' they ask are you crazy?' But they've managed to pull it off. We've got the blue laser diode's yield now. Okay, it's not necessarily where we'd like to be but it will get exponentially healthier as we go forward. The production capacity on November 6, is better than the production capacity on November 1 which was better than October 26. It gets better every day and as we get closer the numbers get bigger and better. It's just a matter of physically getting them here.

A good read.

fuad

"DonÂt let them tell you who you are is not enough, that itÂs wrong and that you wonÂt find love. DonÂt let them use my life to put your future down, or tell you that happiness canÂt be found."
post #993 of 32095 Old 11-08-2006, 05:28 PM

Can someone who has access to a PS3 check if the video output on HDMI can be set to 1366x768 and 1360x768 via the "Custom" resolution option?
post #994 of 32095 Old 11-08-2006, 06:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Can someone who has access to a PS3 check if the video output on HDMI can be set to 1366x768 and 1360x768 via the "Custom" resolution option?

It does not.

I would not expect Sony to add that capability in the future, either.
post #995 of 32095 Old 11-08-2006, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

It does not.

I would not expect Sony to add that capability in the future, either.

Thanks for your answer.

Can you explain how the "Custom" resolution option works? Like, do you have two fields to write the horizontal and vertical pixel numbers, or what? At what point does it refuse to set output to 1360x768?
post #996 of 32095 Old 11-09-2006, 02:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
bfd is that the resolution 750p? if so then i might think yes.

today i played ps3 on a tv which has 750p instead of 720p. i thought it was a typo. but maybe there is something like 750p. it was on a sony bravia tv.

i have to say though it doesnt look as good as 720p or 1080p. the game i tested was ridge racer 7 and devil may cry.
post #997 of 32095 Old 11-09-2006, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3code View Post

bfd is that the resolution 750p?

No, 750p is just another way to call 720p (by counting all the lines and not just the active ones).

Here's a more detailed explanation (from http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/rss/u...aft-143072.php):

Quote:

It promotes a popular misconception that is based on the different ways the US and Japan describe identical HDTV systems.

The US quote the number of lines that contain picture information (i.e. active lines) - which are 1080 and 720 for the two common US standards of 1080/60i and 720/60p. (This is because the US system is based on the formats used for broadcasting digital TV where MPEG2 only broadcasts the active video over the air)

In Japan they quote the total number of lines (including the invisible lines top and bottom used for sync pulses and blanking) They therefore call the same HDTV systems 1125 and 750 - because there are 45 and 30 lines that don't carry picture information. (This is because the Japanese quote the system used to connect HDTV devices to HDTV displays, which use the full number of lines - not just the lines that have pictures)

750/60p and 720/60p are therefore actually identical - they just have different names in the different territories. Just as 1125/60i and 1080/60i are now identical too. (Originally, in the late 80s and early 90s, the Japanese used 1125 total lines, but only around 1030 of them were active - this changed a while back)

It is a bit like the difference between 525 line NTSC and 480/60i - they are the same video system - the 525 quotes the total number of lines, the 480 quotes just the number of lines that contain picture information.

The 1366x768 or 1360x768 format i mentioned earlier is sometimes called 768p, and it is not in the ps3 menu's list of resolutions. That's why i asked if it is possible to set it from the "Custom" resolution option.
post #998 of 32095 Old 11-09-2006, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

The BD-ROM drive in the product has no impact on picture quality. Picture quality is determined by the video capabilities of the product and player's software (and, of course, the quality of the encoding on the disk).

At this time, we do not know how the software on the PS3 will compare to standalone players.

It should be mentioned though that the software in PS3 for BD playback will be upgradable throughout it's life, and the processing power to handle any such improvements will be readily available.

I think PS3 will make for decent BD playback... maybe not the best, at first, but respectable.

We'll know in around two days.
post #999 of 32095 Old 11-09-2006, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9158 View Post

Thanks for your answer.

Can you explain how the "Custom" resolution option works? Like, do you have two fields to write the horizontal and vertical pixel numbers, or what? At what point does it refuse to set output to 1360x768?

The "Custom" option really just has a list of available resolutions, like (480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p), it doesn't give you the option to enter anything manually. Personally I'm not sure what this option is for...
post #1000 of 32095 Old 11-09-2006, 09:47 PM

PS3 Manual
post #1001 of 32095 Old 11-10-2006, 03:20 AM

thanks to the translation from one @ b3d, heres some nice information and pictures:
http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/do...1110/rt018.htm

Quote:

+ Using XMB and web browsing won't spin the fan. Playing Blu-ray will spin the fan, but the load is still low especially for early MPEG2 titles. The fan spins steadily while gaming.

+ The picture/audio quality for video playback is excellent. Though Cell does not do much postprocessing right now, they are doing research for it.

+ TrueHD is converted to LPCM and outputted via HDMI.

+ No DVD upscaling for the time being. But they are looking at user needs and have a plan for the support.

+ The Blu-ray player response is very quick. The interviewer says he felt it's the fastest among Toshiba, Sony, Matsushita HD players/recorders he tested.

+ Some contents holders say the speed of BD-Java in the PS3 is the fastest.

+ By pressing the triangle button the XMB shows the folder tree structure as is just like Windows Explorer.

+ It can connect with USB mass-storage devices such as PSP, but not with ones with special transfer methods such as iPod and Walkman. They are collaborating with the Walkman unit for some interaction in the future.

+ It's decided that the RSX clock stays undisclosed

+ The EE+GS embedded in the PS3 does emulation for PS1/PS2 for initial shipments PS3, so no graphics upgrade for the time being. The software emulation technology is almost complete but not ready for the launch. As soon as it becomes complete EE+GS is removed from future units.

+ In Remote Play with PSP for the 60GB version, the PS3 resolution becomes 480p (16:9) and converts the screen to MPEG-4 Simple Profile at around 1Mbps to send it to the PSP. All control is transferred to the PSP and you can control the PS3 by pressing the PSP buttons. BD/DVD and other copyright-protected materials can't be sent. As for games the support will come in the near future.

+ Downloaded PS1 games are transferred from a PS3 to a PSP by a USB cable.
PLAYSTATION TV (the demo kiosk) starts the download service too.

+ The web browser can open up to 6 pages simultaneously. 64MB memory is always reserved for the browser, the instant messenger and other XMB OS activity even while in game.

+ Installing Linux creates a new HDD partition separately from the PS3 partition. After the setup, you can select which system to use at the boot menu. You can choose to auto-boot Linux too.

+ Aside from Linux, SCE's developers are still seeking the way to publish proper software development environment for the PS3 main OS and PSP for general users. But right now the PS3 main OS can run only signed applications (while PS3 Linux can run whatever applications on it).

It seems after a firmware updates, they plan to expand more on the blu-ray playback.
post #1002 of 32095 Old 11-10-2006, 03:52 AM

It will be interesting to see how the Microsoft/Novell Linux deal effects Linux on the PS3

John
post #1003 of 32095 Old 11-10-2006, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisztoforo View Post

The "Custom" option really just has a list of available resolutions, like (480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p), it doesn't give you the option to enter anything manually. Personally I'm not sure what this option is for...

I'm not sure i have understood correctly.
The option i'm referring to is the one you get in the screen that looks like this:

Quote:

Select the maximum TV resolution.

480p
1080i
720p
1080p
Custom

See this YouTube video (you have to pause at 1:24):
http://youtube.com/watch?v=dRgTOiv4XlU

So are you saying that after selecting the "Custom" option (last one on the list) you get another screen that asks you AGAIN the same thing, i.e. to select between
480p
1080i
720p
1080p
without giving you any other options?
post #1004 of 32095 Old 11-10-2006, 06:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The custom screen may be intended for future use. At launch, only the most basic / common output resolutions are supported.
post #1005 of 32095 Old 11-10-2006, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDoctor View Post

It will be interesting to see how the Microsoft/Novell Linux deal effects Linux on the PS3

John

How/why would it?
post #1006 of 32095 Old 11-10-2006, 07:40 AM

Finally, some decent information starts to pop up.

It's nice to know that, even though Sony wanted to support PS2 and PS1 by emulation, they decided to go with hardware support until emulation is done and good to go. This shows their commitment to support their customer base that expects to use older software with the new hardware.(it is more expensive to add the hardware support than, let's say, promise emulation support and leave the customer hanging...)

I just need to know what is the support for other audio codecs, since TrueHD seems to be decoded internally. Also, if there is current support or plans for bitstream support to all advanced codecs in the future(this is HDMI 1.3 after all)

The Linux tidbits are all I expected from the system, and looks like the most feasible way to provide support without compromising the ps3 basic system, no matter what the user do on the linux partition... I feel it will make a great HTPC. All we need now is a good USB cable receiver for PVR functions, and a bigger HDD upgrade in the future...
post #1007 of 32095 Old 11-10-2006, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3code View Post

bfd is that the resolution 750p? if so then i might think yes.

today i played ps3 on a tv which has 750p instead of 720p. i thought it was a typo. but maybe there is something like 750p. it was on a sony bravia tv.

i have to say though it doesnt look as good as 720p or 1080p. the game i tested was ridge racer 7 and devil may cry.

750p and 720p are the same thing just stated differently. Panasonic do this with there dvd players, for instance they quoye 1080i as 1125i. I have no idea why but if i select 750p or 1125i my display reads that as 720p and 1080i.

not sure why they do this but some do, may just be a euro thing.

Dustin
post #1008 of 32095 Old 11-10-2006, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjanki View Post

Finally, some decent information starts to pop up.

It's nice to know that, even though Sony wanted to support PS2 and PS1 by emulation, they decided to go with hardware support until emulation is done and good to go. This shows their commitment to support their customer base that expects to use older software with the new hardware.(it is more expensive to add the hardware support than, let's say, promise emulation support and leave the customer hanging...)

I just need to know what is the support for other audio codecs, since TrueHD seems to be decoded internally. Also, if there is current support or plans for bitstream support to all advanced codecs in the future(this is HDMI 1.3 after all)

The Linux tidbits are all I expected from the system, and looks like the most feasible way to provide support without compromising the ps3 basic system, no matter what the user do on the linux partition... I feel it will make a great HTPC. All we need now is a good USB cable receiver for PVR functions, and a bigger HDD upgrade in the future...

You can upgrade the HDD yourself to whatever size you're willing to pay for, so hell - just buy the 20GB version and get yourself a larger hard drive (2.5" SATA) from Newegg and you're good to go.

Here's a page already of someone upgrading their drive to 120GBs:

http://ruliweb2.dreamwiz.com/ruliboa...e_ps04&main=ps
post #1009 of 32095 Old 11-10-2006, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WriteSimple View Post

In addition, with the 60GB version you get to use the memory card slots, you have the built-in wifi (the Ethernet port is still there) and you get a HDMI cable (cheap but hey it's free).

I thought neither version of the PS3 came with an HDMI cable, and they only ship with lame composite cables. Did I miss something? Just curious.

PSN and XBox Live gamertag: JonesJohnson

Format Neutrality = Best
post #1010 of 32095 Old 11-10-2006, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad_Boy_ View Post

thanks to the translation from one @ b3d, heres some nice information and pictures:
http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/do...1110/rt018.htm

It seems after a firmware updates, they plan to expand more on the blu-ray playback.

Which is odd to me since if the PS3 is more fully featured than existing stand alones and costs 1/2 as much, why buy anything else? I think I'd be pissed if I were a CE manufacturer, but they had to see this coming... so I understand no upscaling at launch and no 1080p24, but if they add those, what's left in the stand alone market? Aesthetics?
post #1011 of 32095 Old 11-10-2006, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothias View Post

I thought neither version of the PS3 came with an HDMI cable, and they only ship with lame composite cables. Did I miss something? Just curious.

Yes you missed something. Of course, the media likes to play-up PS3's bad news instead of the good news. The 60GB does come with a HDMI cable. But you can get cheap and working HDMI cables from AVS Forum sponsors like monoprice for less than US$10.

If your HDTV/monitor has HDMI/DVI, go get the cables there. Don't pay a premium!

fuad

"DonÂt let them tell you who you are is not enough, that itÂs wrong and that you wonÂt find love. DonÂt let them use my life to put your future down, or tell you that happiness canÂt be found."
post #1012 of 32095 Old 11-10-2006, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbdestroya View Post

You can upgrade the HDD yourself to whatever size you're willing to pay for, so hell - just buy the 20GB version and get yourself a larger hard drive (2.5" SATA) from Newegg and you're good to go.

Here's a page already of someone upgrading their drive to 120GBs:

http://ruliweb2.dreamwiz.com/ruliboa...e_ps04&main=ps

I can't read Korean but that is SO WICKED! Not 24-hours have passed and somebody already tore it apart!

That is really good news to hear that you can upgrade the HDD yourself! Hopefully you do that before you start playing any games.

The XBox 360 fanboys are going to have more to gripe...

fuad

post #1013 of 32095 Old 11-10-2006, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WriteSimple View Post

Yes you missed something. Of course, the media likes to play-up PS3's bad news instead of the good news. The 60GB does come with a HDMI cable. But you can get cheap and working HDMI cables from AVS Forum sponsors like monoprice for less than US$10.

If your HDTV/monitor has HDMI/DVI, go get the cables there. Don't pay a premium!

fuad

I know that the 60GB test units that IGN/Gamespot received DID come with an HDMI cable, but I remember IGN writing that the retail units will not.

I already purchased a monoprice HDMI cable for the PS3 I'm picking up next week because I was under the impression that it did not come with one.

I guess it does, considering you sound extremely confident that the 60GB includes an HDMI cable.

Now that brings up another question. Why would the 60GB come with an HDMI cable and not the 20GB? Both have HDMI outputs.

Format Neutrality = Best
post #1014 of 32095 Old 11-10-2006, 12:11 PM

complete package shot.
post #1015 of 32095 Old 11-10-2006, 02:02 PM

K, I guess I wasn't wrong. No HDMI included. CANNOT WAIT!!!

Format Neutrality = Best
post #1016 of 32095 Old 11-10-2006, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbdestroya View Post

How/why would it?

Re Linux and PS3
Microsoft seems to be keeping a few steps ahead of where SONY is going, and making some interesting moves.

The Novell Microsoft deal sorts out a number of patent issues, and makes for a more patent litigation free version. RedHat since it is open source, looses the ability to do a patent cross licensing deal, and could be more at risk.

If you look at some of what Sony is saying, you can get the sense that they are really trying to launch a computer platform, in a way have a three way split with Microsoft/Apple/Sony. The software strategy is tied to Linux and an expanded relationship with Sun. So like a game of chess, Microsoft could be making the moves against their Linux strategy.

I think Sony has a three prong strategy here, first was locking up the studios with its format AND DRM control ie BD+, Leading the next generation of optical with BD, but also building the next computer platform for the home/entertainment system both hardware and software.

Will be interesting to see how it pans out
John
post #1017 of 32095 Old 11-10-2006, 02:11 PM

Sweet it has been comfirmed by IGN that PS3 works with 3rd party HDD's (Sony has comfirmed 1080p movies can be played off of a HDD)

Quote:

PS3 Accepts Any Third-Party HDD
Official hard drives not needed.
by Chris Roper
November 10, 2006 - According to the PlayStation 3's included Safety and Support manual, the system will accept any 2.5" Serial ATA hard disc drive, and not only officially licensed Sony products. This opens up the possibility of installing a much larger drive than what the system comes with. The manual does note that "Proper operation is not guaranteed for all models" of hard drives, but obviously this is Sony's "just in case" small print.

We're in the process of testing this ourselves and will keep you updated.

post #1018 of 32095 Old 11-10-2006, 03:33 PM
Advanced Member

How will you connect the PS3 via component? I see that it comes with a composite cable , but what about component?
post #1019 of 32095 Old 11-10-2006, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by briankmonkey View Post

Sweet it has been comfirmed by IGN that PS3 works with 3rd party HDD's (Sony has comfirmed 1080p movies can be played off of a HDD)

I wonder if cracking the thing open and replacing your HDD voids your warranty? What about ghosting the drive, or is the PS3 'OS' on non-volatile memory on the electronics?
post #1020 of 32095 Old 11-10-2006, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarrier View Post

How will you connect the PS3 via component? I see that it comes with a composite cable , but what about component?

Buy them Sony AV cables of course! Or for even more Xtreme Performance(TM), some $150 MONSTER component cables (now with 1000% more shiedling to get all of your 1080 pixels delivered in pristine form!)!!

But I understand the AV breakout is compatible with the PS2, so if you have PS2 component cables, those are alleged to work with the PS3.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Blu Ray Players , Blu Ray Movies , Sony , Toshiba , Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page