post #15061 of 32095 Old 03-07-2008, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchiu7 View Post

...and it has a builtin fan(!) that blow air out from inside the controller to cool you down when you get really excited in some games

lol...

I needed one of those earlier.

Brandon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15062 of 32095 Old 03-08-2008, 05:26 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_K View Post

Oh, cool. I had upgraded my HD-DVD player that way and my Oppo multiple times and initially assumed that I could do that on the PS3 and then was surprised to see it not listed as an option. Should I assume that I should use the same burning instructions?

Another option that just occurred to me: I live in an apartment building and, the last time a friend was over with his laptop, he managed to piggyback on someone else's wireless connection. Assuming that whichever neighbor has one wouldn't mind, is that possible? Or is there some technical barrier or potential problem?

Just for the record: Indeed I was able to upgrade the firmware by downloading the 2.1 file, placing it in a folder called UPDATE with a folder called PS3, burning it to a CD, inserting the CD, and activating the appropriate selection on the PS3. Fast and easy.

I burned it as a data disc, using Nero 7 at 40x burning speed.
post #15063 of 32095 Old 03-08-2008, 06:34 AM

So I was watching Beowulf last night on standard DVD, and during a few parts of the movie, I kept getting white flashes that light up the entire screen. I haven't noticed this problem with any Blu-Ray movies so I am not sure if it was the DVD, my TV or my PS3. I have it running via HDMI to a Samsung 50inch DLP. Anyone?

I searched for "white Flash" and didn't come up with anything
post #15064 of 32095 Old 03-08-2008, 07:19 AM
rad
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Klinger View Post

So I was watching Beowulf last night on standard DVD, and during a few parts of the movie, I kept getting white flashes that light up the entire screen. I haven't noticed this problem with any Blu-Ray movies so I am not sure if it was the DVD, my TV or my PS3. I have it running via HDMI to a Samsung 50inch DLP. Anyone?

I also watched Beowulf this week (NetFlix finally shipped it). and didn't see that in my PS/3 and Sony KDF42E2000
post #15065 of 32095 Old 03-08-2008, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapper View Post

While slowly setting up my PS3 the upgrade bug has hit me, OUCH, anyways does a receiver like the Onkyo TX-SR605 7.1 with True HD, worth the money or should first ask if the difference between a non HD receiver and a true HD receiver really like night and day with the PS3 as far as audio?

The Onkyo are going for $400 and really thinking about going all the way, except my pj is a 1080i not a 1080P, that shouldn't make a difference, if any.

Hey Zapper, glad you got it going. Yes the new receivers are night and day above regular receivers, but they also need to be RESEARCHED FULLY. With all of them try not to buy the first model that that brand offers that has what you want or think you want, because you might get disappointed with it's total functionability. Best idea would be to go thru this thread and look at some of the signatures and see what is most popular and research them and start checking the new models comming out. MOST OF ALL TAKE YOUR TIME AND USE THE 30 DAY RETURN TO YOUR ADVANTAGE. IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT TAKE IT BACK AND TRY AGAIN.
post #15066 of 32095 Old 03-08-2008, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLIANCE68 View Post

Hey Zapper, glad you got it going. Yes the new receivers are night and day above regular receivers, but they also need to be RESEARCHED FULLY. With all of them try not to buy the first model that that brand offers that has what you want or think you want, because you might get disappointed with it's total functionability. Best idea would be to go thru this thread and look at some of the signatures and see what is most popular and research them and start checking the new models comming out. MOST OF ALL TAKE YOUR TIME AND USE THE 30 DAY RETURN TO YOUR ADVANTAGE. IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT TAKE IT BACK AND TRY AGAIN.

Thanks for asking, yes the Onkyo 605 has its own thread on this forum and have researched the receiver at BigPictureBigSound site and according to the review dated 12/17/2007 and on the AVS forum it is a excellent receiver for the money, so if I can overpass my boss ( The Wife ) will probably buy it this week end, then will be going nuts with the PS3 and the Onkyo.
Will my wife sacrifice me to the gods? he, he.

Ralph
post #15067 of 32095 Old 03-08-2008, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rad View Post

I also watched Beowulf this week (NetFlix finally shipped it). and didn't see that in my PS/3 and Sony KDF42E2000

Weird. Like I said, i've never noticed it before with any other movies. Might have just been a fluke
post #15068 of 32095 Old 03-08-2008, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Klinger View Post

You're not talking about the strobe effect during that first battle with Grendel, are you? That's a part of the movie.

No offense if you already realized that.

Pics from my TV here and here.
post #15069 of 32095 Old 03-08-2008, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris0 View Post

You're not talking about the strobe effect during that first battle with Grendel, are you? That's a part of the movie.

No offense if you already realized that.

I don't think so, it definitely lit up the entire screen and happened 3-4 times throughout the movie. Maybe I am ignorant and that was part of the movie. It definitely happened when Beowulf first meets Grendel's mother in the dark caves
post #15070 of 32095 Old 03-08-2008, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Try and freeze-frame on it. If you can then it's either a part of the movie or an authoring problem on the disc.

post #15071 of 32095 Old 03-08-2008, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapper View Post

Thanks for asking, yes the Onkyo 605 has its own thread on this forum and have researched the receiver at BigPictureBigSound site and according to the review dated 12/17/2007 and on the AVS forum it is a excellent receiver for the money, so if I can overpass my boss ( The Wife ) will probably buy it this week end, then will be going nuts with the PS3 and the Onkyo.
Will my wife sacrifice me to the gods? he, he.

As long as where you are putting it, it is in a place with lots of air flow. they do run very hot. This is one of the ones I was looking at. When you go look at it, make sure you touch the top of one that has been on for a while even with no load on it it will be warm/hot. All I can say is try it but HD is not only video it is also AUDIO so try to at least go for a model above the base model. Personally I would have bought a Yamaha ahead of the Onkyo. I finally bought a Pioneer VSX-9120THX, but I couldn't pass it up as it was on for $650 at Christmas. As for your wife if she loves movies/music she will like it too. ONCE SET UP it is better than than going to the theatres.
post #15072 of 32095 Old 03-08-2008, 12:05 PM
Advanced Member

Hey guys, I have a question about sound with the PS3.

During a movie you can press Select to see bars come up and down, those bars will display what tye of sound you are getting (DTS, DD, TrueHD, etc.)

My question is, can it tell what is really being output thru the speakers, or just what the PS3 is outputting? What I am asking is if compatable receivers will also send information back to the PS3 to let it know if TrueHD is working? Or, will the PS3 just say TrueHD even tho it might not actually be playing thru the receiver?

I ask this because I am having a little issue with my receiver's display, and I am not sure if it's all setup right. However, the PS3 says TrueHD when I press select. So does that mean that I am getting TrueHD, or could I still be getting plain old DD or even 2 channel?

Thanks!
post #15073 of 32095 Old 03-08-2008, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
The PS3 displays what it is playing back (what you've selected), although the video bitrate meter isn't very accurate.

Your receiver will tell you what it is receiving. If you're using HDMI, set the PS3 to PCM output. That will decode everything in the PS3 and send the audio itself over HDMI to the receiver. The PS3 can't bitstream some hi-bit-rate audio codecs to receivers (for decoding on the receiver end) like stand-alones can.
post #15074 of 32095 Old 03-08-2008, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbri View Post

The PS3 displays what it is playing back (what you've selected),

So the PS3 will say "TrueHD" even if the receiver is not outputing TrueHD (for example, if a setting in the receiver is messed up)?

If so, this is why I want a receiver that will tell me if I am getting TrueHD or not, I have no other way to tell. It's too bad that won't work with the PS3 since it won't bitstream.
post #15075 of 32095 Old 03-08-2008, 02:50 PM

Have any of you guys had trouble with your 40gb PS3 optical drives? I have a Nov 40 gb that stopped reading optical media. I called sony who told me to do a system restore which didnt work and now they're mailing me a coffin. This sucks cuz I've had to go through the same mess with the 360 at the end of last year.

From my searches it seems like the issue may be isolated to the 40gb version but either way if its really as frequent as some have suspected we should make some noise and maybe sony will extend their warranty like MS did.
post #15076 of 32095 Old 03-08-2008, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cut2cure View Post

Have any of you guys had trouble with your 40gb PS3 optical drives? I have a Nov 40 gb that stopped reading optical media. I called sony who told me to do a system restore which didnt work and now they're mailing me a coffin. This sucks cuz I've had to go through the same mess with the 360 at the end of last year.

From my searches it seems like the issue may be isolated to the 40gb version but either way if its really as frequent as some have suspected we should make some noise and maybe sony will extend their warranty like MS did.

This has happened to me and I'll be getting it back Tuesday.I have an 80 tho.
And I believe MS extended their warranty to a year to match Sony with the PS3,so I dont think we are going to see a warranty war but that would be cool.Turnaround for this is looking like a week and one day,its on its way back to me its in Kentucky right now so I'm just bidding my time.
Good Luck
dhenry5320
post #15077 of 32095 Old 03-08-2008, 06:15 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by [/quote] View Post

So the PS3 will say "TrueHD" even if the receiver is not outputing TrueHD (for example, if a setting in the receiver is messed up)?

If so, this is why I want a receiver that will tell me if I am getting TrueHD or not, I have no other way to tell. It's too bad that won't work with the PS3 since it won't bitstream.

i have a integra 9.8 and ps3 i use to think the same way but it does not bother me anymore you rec will say multi and you can bring up the ps3 menu at anytime and see what you are puting out even the bit rate and you can switch it on the fly to see if you like one of the other formats better . i actually prefur it this way now much easier to do it this way than through the rec . to bad i cant get full dts YET . i would like to see the face of my pre amp light up that would make me happy.but no matter i still get the same thing and it is the sh!t .
post #15078 of 32095 Old 03-08-2008, 07:57 PM

New to PS3 and Blu-Ray here. Got the PS3 a few days ago. Bought it for the Blu-Ray part. Did buy a couple of cheap PS3 games.

Yes I got the standard 40GB model. It was made October 2007. Using it with an HK AVR 146. I know it can't do the advanced audio but works cool for me.

And I am coming from HD DVD with an A2. Now wondering what to do with that unit since I can't keep that and a sat dish receiver hooked up at the same time with the PS3.

Suppose it's also good I didn't buy too many HD DVD's. Only some 30 that I got. Hadn't bought a new once since early December. Now to figure out what to do with those as well.

I must say I like the PS3. I think it's a really great Buu-Ray Player. It's also a good game platform too. I especially like that it has built in wireless.
post #15079 of 32095 Old 03-08-2008, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

You didn't mention how it's hooked up, but there are plenty of different kinds of switchers out there that would allow you to keep everything hooked up. Search this thread for "switcher" and check out monoprice.com.

Welcome to the club.

post #15080 of 32095 Old 03-08-2008, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cut2cure View Post

had an 80g do this but luckily it was within the 30 days exchange. i did buy an extended wrnty though.

WIDESCREEN WAS MADE FOR FOOTBALL!!
Anxiously waiting for a next gen HD-Rom media format to replace the old spinning disc technology.
Go Dallas Cowboys!!
post #15081 of 32095 Old 03-08-2008, 10:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhenry5320 View Post

This has happened to me and I'll be getting it back Tuesday.I have an 80 tho.
And I believe MS extended their warranty to a year to match Sony with the PS3,so I dont think we are going to see a warranty war but that would be cool.Turnaround for this is looking like a week and one day,its on its way back to me its in Kentucky right now so I'm just bidding my time.
Good Luck
dhenry5320

Xbox 360 warranty is 3 years now if you get the RROD.
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/sy...arrantyfaq.htm
post #15082 of 32095 Old 03-09-2008, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro View Post

thanks! hmm! tversity can not play it back, even sample. it is 4.11 gb file! you think once transfered to ps3 hard disc, would it work?

As far as I know, the PS3 cannot natively handle the Matroska (.mkv) container most people use with x264.

Google a program called mkv2vob, and run your .mkv's through it. Leave the settings at defaults. If it only needs to swap the container, it will take just a couple of minutes. If a transcode is necessary, it will take a bit longer. The software will know how to handle whatever you feed it.

You'll end up with a .vob file of similar size. Drop it in your tversity shared folder, refresh, play, and enjoy streamed HD goodness. AC3 audio seems to work nicely as well.
post #15083 of 32095 Old 03-09-2008, 05:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve morgan View Post

i have a integra 9.8 and ps3 i use to think the same way but it does not bother me anymore you rec will say multi and you can bring up the ps3 menu at anytime and see what you are puting out even the bit rate and you can switch it on the fly to see if you like one of the other formats better . i actually prefur it this way now much easier to do it this way than through the rec . to bad i cant get full dts YET . i would like to see the face of my pre amp light up that would make me happy.but no matter i still get the same thing and it is the sh!t .

I don't know if I am getting TrueHD, do you?

You say it's the same either way, but it's not. The fact of the matter is, from what I was just told, the PS3 will say "TrueHD" even if the receiver is not outputting it. So what the PS3 says might not be true, and I might not be getting TrueHD.

My concern all stems from my receivers display no lighting up the correct speakers. I hear sound coming from them, but the display says the wrong thing. Because of this, neither I nor you know if I am getting TrueHD or crap 2 channel audio.
post #15084 of 32095 Old 03-09-2008, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:

You say it's the same either way, but it's not. The fact of the matter is, from what I was just told, the PS3 will say "TrueHD" even if the receiver is not outputting it. So what the PS3 says might not be true, and I might not be getting TrueHD.

My concern all stems from my receivers display no lighting up the correct speakers. I hear sound coming from them, but the display says the wrong thing. Because of this, neither I nor you know if I am getting TrueHD or crap 2 channel audio.

The PS3 will only say it's outputting TrueHD if it's decoding it fully and sending it as 5.1 PCM (assuming a 5.1 track). So if the PS3 shows TrueHD and your receiver shows it's getting 5.1 PCM you have the full HD audio experience.

If the PS3 is sending you only the lower resolution DD 5.1 core, it won't show TrueHD, it will tell you it's only sending DD at 640kbps (and your receiver will show you it's getting the DD 5.1 bitstream).
post #15085 of 32095 Old 03-09-2008, 07:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post

The PS3 will only say it's outputting TrueHD if it's decoding it fully and sending it as 5.1 PCM (assuming a 5.1 track). So if the PS3 shows TrueHD and your receiver shows it's getting 5.1 PCM you have the full HD audio experience.

That's the point, my receiver is not accurately displaying what it is receiving or outputting. Because of that, I do not know if I am getting TrueHD or not.
post #15086 of 32095 Old 03-09-2008, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:

That's the point, my receiver is not accurately displaying what it is receiving or outputting. Because of that, I do not know if I am getting TrueHD or not.

What does your receiver show when the PS3 says it's sending TrueHD, and what makes you think it might not be accurate?

If the PS3 is decoding TrueHD to PCM, the only reason it won't output all 5.1 (or 7.1) channels is if these options are not selected under Sound Settings. If 5.1 PCM is reaching the receiver then it shouldn't throw away any channels.
post #15087 of 32095 Old 03-09-2008, 08:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post

What does your receiver show when the PS3 says it's sending TrueHD, and what makes you think it might not be accurate?

My receiver is not displaying accurately because the display shows only the L and R speaker to be active. However, I can hear effects from all speakers so the display is wrong. I talked to other people who own my receiver, they say that their display shows all the speakers to be active, so mine is different.
Quote:

If the PS3 is decoding TrueHD to PCM, the only reason it won't output all 5.1 (or 7.1) channels is if these options are not selected under Sound Settings. If 5.1 PCM is reaching the receiver then it shouldn't throw away any channels.

But it might be, how do we know if it is or isn't?
post #15088 of 32095 Old 03-09-2008, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

My receiver is not displaying accurately because the display shows only the L and R speaker to be active. However, I can hear effects from all speakers so the display is wrong. I talked to other people who own my receiver, they say that their display shows all the speakers to be active, so mine is different.

But it might be, how do we know if it is or isn't?

How do you have your PS3 setup? do you have it in Bitstream, or PCM? It needs to be in PCM, if you want TrueHD to be decoded in the PS3, then sent to your receiver via PCM. If you have the PCM set to Bitstream, the PS3 will still decode a 2 ch TrueHD signal, send it to your receiver,and from there the receiver will matrix it into 5.1 surround. Just like DPL2 I would start there first.
post #15089 of 32095 Old 03-09-2008, 08:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbacksfan51 View Post

How do you have your PS3 setup? do you have it in Bitstream, or PCM? It needs to be in PCM, if you want TrueHD to be decoded in the PS3, then sent to your receiver via PCM. If you have the PCM set to Bitstream, the PS3 will still decode a 2 ch TrueHD signal, send it to your receiver,and from there the receiver will matrix it into 5.1 surround. Just like DPL2 I would start there first.

You're not understanding.

Everything is setup correctly, the receiver is not displaying some information correctly.

Yes, the PS3 is set to PCM and the receiver shows "Multi Channel PCM" on the display, that's all taken care of.
post #15090 of 32095 Old 03-09-2008, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

well, it should be pretty simple to tell.
make sure you have the PS3's blu ray player set to output sound as pcm, not bitstream. then play a blu ray with a truehd track. make sure to select the true hd track from the disc's menu, it's usually not the default. now, check your AVR to see which channels are receiving signal. You should see either 5.1 or 7.1 depending on what's on the disc and how you have your avr set up. If you only see 2 channels getting signal, then something is not set up correctly.
If you have everything set up correctly TrueHD tracks will always be output as surround multichannel pcm. always. There is no weirdness on the PS3 with this- when set up correctly, it will always output truehd correctly.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Blu Ray Players , Blu Ray Movies , Sony , Toshiba , Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page