Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by [/quote] View Post

You're not understanding.

Everything is setup correctly, the receiver is not displaying some information correctly.

Yes, the PS3 is set to PCM and the receiver shows "Multi Channel PCM" on the display, that's all taken care of.

if you're only seeing 2 channels getting signal on your avr from a truehd track, then something definitely is NOT set up correctly. check your settings on the ps3 and the avr.
Are you using an HDMI cable to get the audio signal from the ps3 to the avr?
What AVR do you have?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15092 of 32090 Old 03-09-2008, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvisizer View Post

There is no weirdness on the PS3 with this- when set up correctly, it will always output truehd correctly.

The weirdness is with my receiver.
post #15093 of 32090 Old 03-09-2008, 10:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

if you're only seeing 2 channels getting signal on your avr from a truehd track, then something definitely is NOT set up correctly. check your settings on the ps3 and the avr.

The settings are correct. The display is not showing the correct speakers. Again, I hear sounds coming from all speakers.
post #15094 of 32090 Old 03-09-2008, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Get the reciever repaired/replaced.... problem solved

Jim White
St. Petersburg, FL
post #15095 of 32090 Old 03-09-2008, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:

The settings are correct. The display is not showing the correct speakers. Again, I hear sounds coming from all speakers.

What is your receiver? When it shows only L and R channels, it usually just means that's how many channels are being input, NOT how many speakers are playing.

Of all the possible explanations, a bad display on the receiver is the least likely. So double check the PS3 audio output settings, make sure it's HDMI, and make sure 5.1 (7.1 if you have a 7.1 setup) are selected as output options.
post #15096 of 32090 Old 03-09-2008, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwhite View Post

Get the reciever repaired/replaced.... problem solved

It can't be repaired, replacement is the only option.

I'd rather not do that since this setup I have right now it fine for me, as long as I am getting TrueHD (which I'm stil unsure of). If anyone has a way, I'd love to hear it.

If I was going to replace the receiver, I would most likely get the Onkyo which will accept bitstream and do all the work, also giving me the TrueHD display indicator that would solve all my problems. But because Sony handicapped the PS3, it won't bitsream the better surrounds so I would have to get rid of the PS3 and replace it with a fully functioning Blu-Ray player as well (that would also give me DTS HD also)

I'm trying to avoid that, for now at least.
post #15097 of 32090 Old 03-09-2008, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post

What is your receiver? When it shows only L and R channels, it usually just means that's how many channels are being input, NOT how many speakers are playing.

JVC RX-D402B

The other people who own my receiver say that all the channel indicators light up. I have the same settings as them (there are very few settings anyway). I can get all the channel indicators to light up by pressing the Decode Mode button, but that has nothing to do with this situation and it changes back to only showing the L and R channel indicators as soon as I change the source. Also, even when all the indicator light up, the sound doesn't change.

Believe me, there is a problem with my receiver.

Quote:
Of all the possible explanations, a bad display on the receiver is the least likely.

I wish you were right, but you're not.

FWIW, when I said "display" I pretty much meant what the display was showing. The problem is most likely not with the display itself, but what the receiver is choosing to show on it's display.

Quote:
So double check the PS3 audio output settings, make sure it's HDMI, and make sure 5.1 (7.1 if you have a 7.1 setup) are selected as output options.

They've been checked time and time again, both by myself and other people who own the receiver.
post #15098 of 32090 Old 03-09-2008, 10:33 AM

Quote:

Maybe I missed it, but is your PS3 connected to your receiver with an optical connection? If so, and if you selected "LPCM" output on your PS3, then your PS3 will send 2-channel LPCM to your receiver when playing HD audio formats (optical can't handle > 2-channel LPCM). Also, if your receiver is set up to apply Pro Logic IIx to 2-channel sources (pretty likely), then you will hear sound out of all speakers even though only the Left/Right lights are illuminated on the receiver's display (identifying the source, not the output).

To get multichannel LPCM out of the PS3, you'll need to use an HDMI connection. If your receiver doesn't support HDMI, then you'll probably be better off selecting 'bitstream' for your optical connection and not selecting LPCM Blu-ray audio tracks. When set up this way, you will get the 'hidden' DD track for TrueHD audio and the 'core' DTS track for DTS-HD audio.
post #15099 of 32090 Old 03-09-2008, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 188
It is entirely possible to have only L+R coming in and still hear sound from the surrounds. That's what Neo and DPL are for.

Are you connected via HDMI and not optical? You can't get LPCM in more than 2 channels via optical.

Your receiver won't know the source is TrueHD because it's being decoded by the PS3. It decodes the TrueHD and sneds it out as multichannel PCM, so that's what your receiver has to be set up to process.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #15100 of 32090 Old 03-09-2008, 10:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xact View Post

Also, if your receiver is set up to apply Pro Logic IIx to 2-channel sources (pretty likely), then you will hear sound out of all speakers even though only the Left/Right lights are illuminated on the receiver's display (identifying the source, not the output).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post

It is entirely possible to have only L+R coming in and still hear sound from the surrounds. That's what Neo and DPL are for.

What you two are saying is my whole point! I don't know if what I am hearing is TrueHD or not, that is what I want to know. You haven't read what I have posted...

lol, I don't know what I gotta say to impress this upon some of you...

The settings are correct, it's connected via HDMI, the settings are correct, its connected via HDMI, the settings are correct.

All I was looking for is a surefire way to know if TrueHD is being produced. I was hoping that since HDMI is a two way street that the PS3 would be able to tell if the receiver was actually outputting TrueHD. However, I was told eariler that it doesn't work like that and there is no way to tell for sure, so that's pretty much it.
post #15101 of 32090 Old 03-09-2008, 10:42 AM

I guess I missed your last post... it looks like your JVC receiver does support HDMI. Is there a setting in your receiver to pass audio to your TV? Generally when this setting is enabled, the HDMI audio will be limited to the lowest common denominator in the chain - which would probably be 2-channel for the TV. Unless you want to use the TV's speakers for sound, disable this setting and avoid the 2-channel restriction.
post #15102 of 32090 Old 03-09-2008, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

lol, I don't know what I gotta say to impress this upon some of you...

After reading this page I'm not sure what any of those who are trying to help you can say. You've got a receiver problem, get a new one.

Pics from my TV here and here.
post #15103 of 32090 Old 03-09-2008, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris0 View Post

After reading this page I'm not sure what any of those who are trying to help you can say. You've got a receiver problem, get a new one.

As I said earlier, I might have to. The main thing stopping me from doing that already was the possibility that I am actually getting TrueHD (since it says Multi Channel PCM and when I press a key on the remote all the speaker indicators light up altho it still sounds the same). I was just hoping there is a way to tell, Unfortunately I've just been told that there is not.

Thanks for the help everyone!
post #15104 of 32090 Old 03-09-2008, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 52
Quote:

As I said earlier, I might have to. The main thing stopping me from doing that already was the possibility that I am actually getting TrueHD (since it says Multi Channel PCM and when I press a key on the remote all the speaker indicators light up altho it still sounds the same). I was just hoping there is a way to tell, Unfortunately I've just been told that there is not.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Do all channel indicators light up when DD or DTS are coming in from another component (like a DVD player or cable box)? Does it only show 2 channels when it's the PS3 and TrueHD? What happens when you play an Uncompressed track on the PS3?

When doing TrueHD and the receiver says it's getting 2 channels of audio, check to see what surround sound mode the receiver is using to play it back. If it's defaulting to DPLII Movie or something, then it may in fact only be receiving 2 channels.

Everyone is just trying to troubleshoot with you and isolate where the problem is occuring - PS3, connection, receiver display only, receiver itself, which inputs, etc.
post #15105 of 32090 Old 03-09-2008, 11:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

well, if you are absolutely sure that your settings are correct, then you need to return your receiver since it's broken.
personally, i'd bet that that IS NOT the case, and you've just got HDMI audio out to the tv turned on in your receiver's settings. i spent a few hours puzzling over that same situation when i got my onkyo 805, and that's what the problem was. . . .
have you confirmed that your receiver is NOT sending audio out to your TV over HDMI?
post #15106 of 32090 Old 03-09-2008, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The main thing stopping me from doing that already was the possibility that I am actually getting TrueHD (since it says Multi Channel PCM and when I press a key on the remote all the speaker indicators light up altho it still sounds the same).

wait, what?
before, you said that you only saw 2 channels getting signal on the receiver. which is it? 2 channels or all channels?
i'm not talking about which speakers are making noises. i'm talking about which input channels on your receiver are getting a signal from the PS3.
post #15107 of 32090 Old 03-09-2008, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

wait, what?
before, you said that you only saw 2 channels getting signal on the receiver. which is it? 2 channels or all channels?
i'm not talking about which speakers are making noises. i'm talking about which input channels on your receiver are getting a signal from the PS3.

I posted this earlier:

Quote:

JVC RX-D402B

The other people who own my receiver say that all the channel indicators light up. I have the same settings as them (there are very few settings anyway). I can get all the channel indicators to light up by pressing the Decode Mode button, but that has nothing to do with this situation and it changes back to only showing the L and R channel indicators as soon as I change the source. Also, even when all the indicator light up, the sound doesn't change.

Believe me, there is a problem with my receiver.

post #15108 of 32090 Old 03-09-2008, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

well, if you are absolutely sure that your settings are correct, then you need to return your receiver since it's broken.

I can't return it, it's a UL sample.

Quote:
personally, i'd bet that that IS NOT the case, and you've just got HDMI audio out to the tv turned on in your receiver's settings.

How much are you willing to bet? I could use some extra cash to buy a new receiver ;-)

http://resources.jvc.com/Resources/0...T1436-001A.pdf
Quote:
i spent a few hours puzzling over that same situation when i got my onkyo 805, and that's what the problem was. . . .
have you confirmed that your receiver is NOT sending audio out to your TV over HDMI?

I haven't found that option, the manual is linked above.
post #15109 of 32090 Old 03-09-2008, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbri View Post

Do all channel indicators light up when DD or DTS are coming in from another component (like a DVD player or cable box)?

Yes, when I am using the cable box (via HDMI) all the channel indicators light up properly as does the Dolby Digital indicator when the channel is broadcasting DD.
Quote:
Does it only show 2 channels when it's the PS3 and TrueHD?

It shows L and R for anything coming from the PS3. The only time that changes is when I hit the Decode Mode button on the receivers remote, then it flashes Multi Channel PCM and all the channels light up. The problem with that, and the reason why I know my receiver is broke, is because Decode Mode has nothing to do with this, and everyone else who I've talked to or tried to fix my receiver doesn't have this happen when they do it on theirs.
Quote:
What happens when you play an Uncompressed track on the PS3?

What is an uncompressed track? 2 channel? DD? The receiver always says the same thing.
Quote:
When doing TrueHD and the receiver says it's getting 2 channels of audio, check to see what surround sound mode the receiver is using to play it back. If it's defaulting to DPLII Movie or something, then it may in fact only be receiving 2 channels.

It's not showing a surround mode at that time, just (I believe) Linear PCM.
Quote:
Everyone is just trying to troubleshoot with you and isolate where the problem is occuring - PS3, connection, receiver display only, receiver itself, which inputs, etc.

It's the receiver itself.
post #15110 of 32090 Old 03-09-2008, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 188
According to the manual, pressing "Decode Mode" toggles from "auto" to "dolby" to "dts" and back to "auto."

If you're seeing 2-ch when in Auto, but you see multichannel when you press Decode Mode and switch to Dolby, then your PS3 is in bitstream mode and is sending Dolby Digital to the receiver.

If it was in LPCM mode, the LPCM light should illuminate. You haven't said that it does, so I assume that it doesn't, which means your PS3 is not sending LPCM.

I suggest you post what your settings actually are, instead of simply insisting they're correct.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #15111 of 32090 Old 03-09-2008, 12:38 PM
Advanced Member

Guys,

Can someone point me to a link here at AVS or elsewhere that walks a newbie through the process of registering my new pS3 with my network media center?

I've searched this thread and googled, but nothing so far that jumped out at me.

thanks.
post #15112 of 32090 Old 03-09-2008, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post

According to the manual, pressing "Decode Mode" toggles from "auto" to "dolby" to "dts" and back to "auto."

What happen when I press Decode Mode is it switches to Multi Channel and stays there, pressing it again and again no longer does anything. It doesn't go around like it's supposed to.
Quote:

If you're seeing 2-ch when in Auto, but you see multichannel when you press Decode Mode and switch to Dolby, then your PS3 is in bitstream mode and is sending Dolby Digital to the receiver.

The PS3 is set to PCM.
Quote:

If it was in LPCM mode, the LPCM light should illuminate. You haven't said that it does, so I assume that it doesn't, which means your PS3 is not sending LPCM.

I believe I mentioned it a few times *, the receiver has a little light that says Linear PCM whenever I have it set to DVD (that's the input that I have the PS3 connected to).
Quote:

I suggest you post what your settings actually are, instead of simply insisting they're correct.

I've said what my settings are a few times, you just haven't read what I posted.

Quote:

~ then it flashes Multi Channel PCM and all the channels light up.

Quote:

~ It's not showing a surround mode at that time, just (I believe) Linear PCM.

Quote:

Yes, the PS3 is set to PCM and the receiver shows "Multi Channel PCM" on the display, that's all taken care of.

Quote:

~ The main thing stopping me from doing that already was the possibility that I am actually getting TrueHD (since it says Multi Channel PCM and when I press a key on the remote all the speaker indicators light up altho it still sounds the same).

post #15113 of 32090 Old 03-09-2008, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:

You're not understanding.

Everything is setup correctly, the receiver is not displaying some information correctly.

It could well be working as intended (there's even a note on page 19 of the manual that says the signal indicators might not be correct for multi-channel input over HDMI).

A bigger potential problem with this receiver is that it does no processing or bass management for multi-channel PCM over HDMI. So unless you have all full range speakers capable of playing very low (even the surrounds), a TrueHD track is not going to sound the way it was intended, and you'd be better off bitstreaming the legacy DD5.1 track instead.

Just another reason to upgrade
post #15114 of 32090 Old 03-09-2008, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhenry5320 View Post

This has happened to me and I'll be getting it back Tuesday.I have an 80 tho.
And I believe MS extended their warranty to a year to match Sony with the PS3,so I dont think we are going to see a warranty war but that would be cool.Turnaround for this is looking like a week and one day,its on its way back to me its in Kentucky right now so I'm just bidding my time.
Good Luck
dhenry5320

Wow thats a pretty impressive turnaround. They're going to mail my coffin on monday so I'd be thrilled to get it back this month.
post #15115 of 32090 Old 03-09-2008, 01:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post

It could well be working as intended (there's even a note on page 19 of the manual that says the signal indicators might not be correct for multi-channel input over HDMI).

The thing that bothers me is that everyone elses works fine, except for mine

And I still don't know if I'm getting TrueHD or not.
Quote:

A bigger potential problem with this receiver is that it does no processing or bass management for multi-channel PCM over HDMI. So unless you have all full range speakers capable of playing very low (even the surrounds), a TrueHD track is not going to sound the way it was intended, and you'd be better off bitstreaming the legacy DD5.1 track instead.

Just another reason to upgrade

I have very small speakers all around. I don't even have a subwoofer connected, I have my small Paradigm 5" mains set to Large and that's enough bass for me (I live in a condo).
post #15116 of 32090 Old 03-09-2008, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

Ok [/quote], I think we have all read your posts, and are trying to help you based on limited information, and not being to see what is going on in your setup in person. And I think you are being a bit rude in some of your responses. That being said, after reading your instruction manual, there are several instances through the manual, that state that "multi channel PCM" indicator will only stay on for a limited time, and that the display may not indicate all speakers are active. when using the HDMI. So if you are getting sound from all your speakers, and if it shows TrueHD on your PS3, I think TrueHD is working. And if you still don't think it is working, run a optical cable from the PS3 to your receiver, and let it decode legacy DD and DTS.
post #15117 of 32090 Old 03-09-2008, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbacksfan51 View Post

Ok [/qote], I think we have all read your posts, and are trying to help you based on limited information, and not being to see what is going on in your setup in person. And I think you are being a bit rude in some of your responses.

Hi Sandy Mangina. Sorry if I offended you

Quote:

That being said, after reading your instruction manual, there are several instances through the manual, that state that "multi channel PCM" indicator will only stay on for a limited time, and that the display may not indicate all speakers are active. when using the HDMI.

I know that. But what I posted and you apparently have not read is that it doesn't say Multi Channel PCM or light up the correct indicators until I press the Decode Mode button. When I do that, everything lights up correctly. The problem is:
A) Decode Mode has nothing to do with this and
B) Once I press Decode Mode once, the indicators light up and it is locked, pressing Decode Mode does not do anything after this. If my unit was functioning properly, Decode Mode would simply scroll thru Auto, DD, and DTS, then back.
Quote:

So if you are getting sound from all your speakers, and if it shows TrueHD on your PS3, I think TrueHD is working.

You think. That's the point, none of us know. You said you read my posts, if so you would know that the only thing I am asking for in this thread is for a way to tell for sure. I didn't ask for anything else.

Someone answered my question quite a while ago, since then people have been asking me the questions. I know that there is a problem with my receiver, it's everyone else that wants proof.
Quote:

And if you still don't think it is working, run a optical cable from the PS3 to your receiver, and let it decode legacy DD and DTS.

Why would I do that?

That's like someone asking how to tell if their car's engine is working properly, and you telling them to just pull out some of the plug wires so it definitely runs crappy.

Now that's very rude of you
post #15118 of 32090 Old 03-09-2008, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

[snip: trueHD or not?]

I've said what my settings are a few times, you just haven't read what I posted.

One way to tell, hook up the video via component and audio via optical. Watch a movie with great sound affects and see if you can tell the difference.

If PS3 cannot tell you what it's outputting (like standalone players), I guess this is the only way - short of borrowing a stand alone player or another receiver to test with.

Thanks,
Hansang
post #15119 of 32090 Old 03-09-2008, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It can't be repaired, replacement is the only option.

I'd rather not do that since this setup I have right now it fine for me, as long as I am getting TrueHD (which I'm stil unsure of). If anyone has a way, I'd love to hear it.

If I was going to replace the receiver, I would most likely get the Onkyo which will accept bitstream and do all the work, also giving me the TrueHD display indicator that would solve all my problems. But because Sony handicapped the PS3, it won't bitsream the better surrounds so I would have to get rid of the PS3 and replace it with a fully functioning Blu-Ray player as well (that would also give me DTS HD also)

easy replace the avr with a onkyo 805 and add a panny bd 30 problem resolved. simple.

WIDESCREEN WAS MADE FOR FOOTBALL!!
Anxiously waiting for a next gen HD-Rom media format to replace the old spinning disc technology.
Go Dallas Cowboys!!
post #15120 of 32090 Old 03-09-2008, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappyxavs View Post

easy replace the avr with a onkyo 805 and add a panny bd 30 problem resolved. simple.

Quote:

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Blu Ray Players , Blu Ray Movies , Sony , Toshiba , Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page