Forum Jump: 

post #1621 of 32090 Old 12-16-2006, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
If that's the case, then someone has probably already complained to Sony. Nevertheless, I sent an email to Sony's customer support (somewhere underneath http://www.us.playstation.com) to complain about this issue. Maybe if even of us complain, it will be higher in their priority queue of things to fix.

Excellent idea. Make sure we *all* provide feedback there!

1080p and lossless audio. EVERY BD should have them both.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1622 of 32090 Old 12-16-2006, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Ok, I am Sending my regards to them now.

So Far... So Good... So What!
Unlock Your Samsung PNxxD550 series 5 plasma to achieve Expert 10 point Calibration and Expert Patterns. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1339743
post #1623 of 32090 Old 12-16-2006, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

I have watched Kingdom Of Heaven and Tears of the Sun since the update and have not experienced any problems whatsoever. Sorry to hear some are having problems. As painful as it will be, I will try and watch my Talladega Nights dvd again to see if this movie freezes post 1.31 update.

"You know Andy....I never thought our town would come to this....Mayberry....Gateway to danger.

Barney Fife
post #1624 of 32090 Old 12-16-2006, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
I was just watching 16 Blocks and it froze on me. Just had to turn off the system and turn it back on but, that's the only movie so far that it's frozen up on.

Anyway, I am posting because I noticed that the sound quality for ANY movie that is only 5.1 Dolby Digital and not uncompressed PCM or any uncompressed ones, sound very muted.

It's generally softer by A LOT when there is dialogue but, what bothers me more is it sounds like Dynamic Range Compression is on max. Gunshots in 16 blocks are no louder than the dialogue. Sound effects are very muted. I normally watch at -20dB but with the sound like it is with Dolby Digital 5.1 I have to go to -10dB and even still the sound is very limited. I noticed this also with Talladega Nights (one that came with the system). But any of the movies I've watched that have DTS-HD MA, Uncompressed PCM, LPCM, etc. sound phenominal!

Anyone else experience this????

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
post #1625 of 32090 Old 12-16-2006, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Good day-

Quick question that I'm sure has been answered, but I can't find a good search string. From the position of JUST Blu-ray playback, is there any difference between the models?

Thanks,
Chris
post #1626 of 32090 Old 12-16-2006, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Anyway, I am posting because I noticed that the sound quality for ANY movie that is only 5.1 Dolby Digital and not uncompressed PCM or any uncompressed ones, sound very muted.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that there was a "Dolby bug" and someone was theorizing something similar to what you're saying... that maybe there's forced dynamic-range compression on the PS3 for Dolby tracks.

However, I would have thought that playing Dolby tracks via SPDIF would have left the 640 kbps stream in tact. Are you talking about Dolby tracks that are extracted to LPCM over HDMI???

post #1627 of 32090 Old 12-16-2006, 12:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvted View Post

Just curious as to why this is considered hard and fast?

I've tried both and have accepted the "hint" provided in the manual, meaning I've chosen LPCM on optical - so far my 5.1 Yamaha has had no trouble decoding what is sent to it.

My sampling as of now has been rather small, however.

When you set the PS3 to LPCM, you get stereo sound through optical.

The LPCM setting is only meant for HDMI users. You only get surround sound through optical if the PS3 is set to bitstream.
post #1628 of 32090 Old 12-16-2006, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I was wondering how do I get back to the Main setup screen when I had a game inside of the ps3. I know when I have a movie all I have to do is hit the stop button and it takes me back to the setup screen. Any suggestions?
post #1629 of 32090 Old 12-16-2006, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
David, yes I am talking about HDMI. I don't even have Optical connected to the PS3. I am not quite sure what it is but, I hope they fix the problem I am noticing!

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
post #1630 of 32090 Old 12-16-2006, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

When you set the PS3 to LPCM, you get stereo sound through optical.

The LPCM setting is only meant for HDMI users. You only get surround sound through optical if the PS3 is set to bitstream.

I will have to check because it sure sounds like surround to me, not stereo multiplied.

ted
post #1631 of 32090 Old 12-16-2006, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Is the PS3 extracting the DD signal to LPCM for the HDMI or leaving it alone in native DD form? What does your receiver say... is it getting a DD stream or a LPCM stream? If it's getting LPCM, adjust your PS3 configuration to pass the DD stream natively over the hdmi rather than LPCM and see if that makes a difference.

post #1632 of 32090 Old 12-16-2006, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Ted,

the LPCM stereo track over SPDIF is still encoded for ProLogic surround playback so you'd still get "real" surround sound with actual rear-content intended for that channel.

post #1633 of 32090 Old 12-16-2006, 01:43 PM

Newbie here... I have been reading alot, but I am still going to ask.

I have a new in the box Denon DVD-1930ci player. I am wondering should I unbox and use it, or take it back and buy a PS3 as my only DVD player? I selected the 1930ci because it plays SACD. But the new stand alone Blue Ray players do not play SACD. So I either have to keep the 1930ci and buy a stand alone Blue Ray, or have both in a PS3.

My question is.... Can I count on the PS3 as my only DVD player? Pro's versus Con's? High qualitiy is the deciding factor here!

Tom
post #1634 of 32090 Old 12-16-2006, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
In Order to playback SACD's do you have to do this over HDMI? I will be running COmponent and optical audio connections....
Also I know a big feature of the 60g unit is so you can get the wireless funtions for downloads off the internet.....
Will Sony send firmware updates by disc, if you have a 20g unit and can't run it to your computer?
Thanks,
Rick

RickP.
post #1635 of 32090 Old 12-16-2006, 02:19 PM
Advanced Member

I'm looking at photos of the player, and I don't see component output connections...Do they sell a certain component video chord that goes into the ps3 and then has component video connections for your input....
Rick

RickP.
post #1636 of 32090 Old 12-16-2006, 02:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by randman View Post

I've watched two Blu-Ray DVDs (Talladega Nights and the Devil Wears Prada) so far on my 60GB PS3. The PS3 "froze" once while watching each of these movies. By "froze", I mean that the PS3 was behaving as if it was paused. You can still see the DVD's picture. However, selecting any of the transport commands (e.g. play, stop,
forward, reverse) had no effect. The PS3 wasn't totally frozen. I can still bring up the PS3's onscreen menu (not the DVD's menu), and traverse the menu with the cursor keys, but the PS3 did not responsed to any of the transport commands on the on-screen menu. I can also bring up the main PS3 menu by pressing the Playstation button. Then, I can turn it off, and turn it back on. No need to eject the disk. No need to completely turn off the PS3 using the main switch in the back. I just need to turn put it in standby mode and then turn it back on.

To summarize the PS3 acts as if it is frozen/paused, and doesn't respond to any transport commands. However, it isn't completely frozen, since I can still bring up the on-screen menu (not the DVD's menu, but the PS3's menu).

I am running the latest firmware (1.31). My PS3 is in a well ventilated area, so heat shouldn't be the problem. Is anyone else having this issue?

Yes I had this exact same issue one time on the playback of KOH, its only done it once though and my PS3 has the most ventilation that it can possible have. Its in no cabinet and has 1 ft on all sides for plenty of ventilation.
post #1637 of 32090 Old 12-16-2006, 03:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickPas View Post

In Order to playback SACD's do you have to do this over HDMI? I will be running COmponent and optical audio connections....
Also I know a big feature of the 60g unit is so you can get the wireless funtions for downloads off the internet.....
Will Sony send firmware updates by disc, if you have a 20g unit and can't run it to your computer?
Thanks,
Rick

both the 20gb and the 60GB have ethernet... So you can get online with either... So you can download with either, not just the 60GB
post #1638 of 32090 Old 12-16-2006, 03:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm looking at photos of the player, and I don't see component output connections...Do they sell a certain component video chord that goes into the ps3 and then has component video connections for your input....
Rick

You need the Propriatary Componet Cable.. Its the exact same one that the PS2 used (you can use your PS2 component cables on your PS3).... Hope that helps
post #1639 of 32090 Old 12-16-2006, 03:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaViD Boulet View Post

Ted,

the LPCM stereo track over SPDIF is still encoded for ProLogic surround playback so you'd still get "real" surround sound with actual rear-content intended for that channel.

Hmm, hopefully this question will answer everything once and for all.

Ok so apparently LPCM is the best sound that you can get, but to get this you need to have a receiver that can accept an HDMI and decode the LPCM, correct?? I only have optical on my Onkyo receiver, so my best be is to set it to bitstream, correct?? If I set it to LPCM then I will only get stereo through my optical out right, even though from the post above it states that it actually sends out a rear signal for my speakers?? So which one will represent most what the studio intended for us to hear for us with only optical outs. Seems a little more confusing then it should be.
post #1640 of 32090 Old 12-16-2006, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicanmike03 View Post

If anything that free copy of Talladega may have hurt sony initially cause people will immediatly judge the bluray player based on the quality of that movie, cause its the first thing they will watch.

My thoughts exactly. I know from experience that when I watched Talladega nights the first night I got the PS3 on launch day I was unimpressed and was a bit nervous about my purchase. But after quickly doing some research and renting some BDs from Netflix I realized it wasn't the format. The problem is not all consumers will take those measures.

Brandon
post #1641 of 32090 Old 12-16-2006, 05:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yes, you can only get multichannel audio from SACD with HDMI on the PS3.

Quote:

No, Sony does not send PS3 firmware updates by disk, although some future Blu-ray disks may include them. You can add wireless capability to your PS3 with a wireless gaming adapter -- these typically cost less than $100, perhaps $40 off ebay. Or you can just run an ethernet cable from your computer room once every 4-6 weeks to download the latest version.

Quote:
Ok so apparently LPCM is the best sound that you can get, but to get this you need to have a receiver that can accept an HDMI and decode the LPCM, correct??

Correct, to experience the high-quality LPCM audio, you need a receiver that can accept that audio over HDMI. Technically, there is no decoding involved.

Quote:
I only have optical on my Onkyo receiver, so my best be is to set it to bitstream, correct??

Correct. If you don't have a receiver with HDMI, you should always have your PS3 set to bitstream.

Quote:
If I set it to LPCM then I will only get stereo through my optical out right, even though from the post above it states that it actually sends out a rear signal for my speakers??

You do not get discrete surround sound with stereo -- rather, it is virtual surround sound (i.e. Prologic), like what you would get with any analog channel with stereo on cable. If you want true surround sound -- which by definition is discrete -- with optical, you must use bitstream.
post #1642 of 32090 Old 12-16-2006, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

re: the last one .

if i set, for example, 5th element, to the pcm track and my non hdmi denon to pcm the audio will only be a form of prologic, not 5.1 audio? yes?
post #1643 of 32090 Old 12-16-2006, 05:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

Yes, you can only get multichannel audio from SACD with HDMI on the PS3.

No, Sony does not send PS3 firmware updates by disk, although some future Blu-ray disks may include them. You can add wireless capability to your PS3 with a wireless gaming adapter -- these typically cost less than $100, perhaps $40 off ebay. Or you can just run an ethernet cable from your computer room once every 4-6 weeks to download the latest version.

Correct, to experience the high-quality LPCM audio, you need a receiver that can accept that audio over HDMI. Technically, there is no decoding involved.

Correct. If you don't have a receiver with HDMI, you should always have your PS3 set to bitstream.

You do not get discrete surround sound with stereo -- rather, it is virtual surround sound (i.e. Prologic), like what you would get with any analog channel with stereo on cable. If you want true surround sound -- which by definition is discrete -- with optical, you must use bitstream.

Great answer, that was short, sweet and to the point. Thanks for taking the time to answer that.
post #1644 of 32090 Old 12-17-2006, 02:58 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
My PS3 is connected to my pre/pro (Anthem Statement D2) via HDMI only. I have a 7.1 setup. I setup the PS3 to output LPCM via HDMI. The PS3 settings menu allows you to select either Automatic or Custom. Currently, I have it set to Automatic. Question is, whether I should use Custom. The Custom menu has a few choices of how audio is output (such as differences in khz numbers), and it wasn't clear which ones to select for optimal LPCM output. Or, should I just select Automatic? For now, I set it to Automatic. When I was watching Sahara (no freezing problem on this Blu-Ray disc), my pre/pro said that it was receiving 6ch 48Khz from the PS3.

Anyone have any suggestions on whether to select Automatic or Custom, and if Custom is selected, how to determine the optimal items in the Custom menu to select?
post #1645 of 32090 Old 12-17-2006, 06:15 AM

I have had the Toshiba HD-XA1 for several months and have the new Pioneer BD player on pre-order @ VE. I was fortunate enough to have a close relative snag me a 60 gig PS3 from a retail store where they work (at a discount to boot) .

I got the PS3 yesterday and updated firmware to 1.31. I have it connected via HDMI to my Denon 4806CI then projected on to a 96" screen with a Panasonic PT-AX100U. I have about 10 BD titles on hand (Have been ordering on Amazon while I awaited the arrival of the Pioneer) and last night I watched 2 movies.

The first movie I watched was "Ice Age - Meltdown". I felt the image quality was every bit the equal to "Ant Bully" & "Corpse Bride" which I own on HD DVD. I did have the issue noted in a few previous threads where the movie locked up on me and I had to restart the PS3. This only happen once on this movie and it happened on chapter 3. Once I restarted, it played the remainder of the movie without a hitch.

I was pleased thus far, but wanted to see how the PS3 looked with a non-animated title, so I popped in "Brothers Grimm" and watched it. I have been waiting to see this movie for a while now and was not sure what to expect since it is listed on Fettastic's post at the top of tier 2. HOLY **** - If this is a tier 2 movie, I CAN'T WAIT TO WATCH EVERYTHING IN TIER 1. This movie looked great.

In summary, I feel the image quality of Blu-Ray is equal to that of HD DVD. I will continue to support both formats and hopefully they will BOTH exist for a long time.

Bob
post #1646 of 32090 Old 12-17-2006, 06:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by REL77 View Post

both the 20gb and the 60GB have ethernet... So you can get online with either... So you can download with either, not just the 60GB

I would need a 30' chord, is that possible?
Rick

Are the ps3 players that are coming in, installed with the latest 1.3 firmware updates?
Rick

RickP.
post #1647 of 32090 Old 12-17-2006, 07:24 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

I would need a 30' chord, is that possible?
Rick

Are the ps3 players that are coming in, installed with the latest 1.3 firmware updates?
Rick

You should be able to get long Ethernet cables from various places (CompUSA, Best Buy, Loews, etc.). A 30' Ethernet cable is below the maximum spec. length. The maximum length for a 100mbps network is about 100 meters (329 feet), and for a 1000mbps network, it is about 82 feet (for 1000mbps network, make sure you have a Cat 5E or Cat 6 cable).

I got my PS3 last Dec. 7, and it came with firmware version 1.10. It's easy enough to upgrade the PS3 as long as it's connected to a network. Latest version is 1.31.
post #1648 of 32090 Old 12-17-2006, 09:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aetherhole View Post

It's generally softer by A LOT when there is dialogue but, what bothers me more is it sounds like Dynamic Range Compression is on max. Gunshots in 16 Blocks are no louder than the dialogue. Sound effects are very muted. I normally watch at -20dB but with the sound like it is with Dolby Digital 5.1 I have to go to -10dB and even still the sound is very limited. I noticed this also with Talladega Nights (one that came with the system). But any of the movies I've watched that have DTS-HD MA, Uncompressed PCM, LPCM, etc. sound phenominal!

Anyone else experience this????

Yes, I have had similar results with DD tracks, but only when the PS3 is forced to decode the DD bitstream and output PCM over HDMI. As you note, native PCM tracks and DTS decoding seem to be fine. I did check channel levels with a DD test disc, and they all came up correctly.

Dynamics still sound squashed. It makes me wonder if something is set weird in the PS3's DD Dynamic Range Control.

My suggestion for the moment is to output bitstream for DD.

Chase

Chase Walton
Technical Editor
PMI, Ltd. / MSR, Inc.

Home Theater Design and Calibration Insider

My comments are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of PMI, Ltd. or MSR, Inc.

post #1649 of 32090 Old 12-17-2006, 11:20 AM
Advanced Member

I guess timing is everything....I went to Target about 11:30 this morning, and asked if any PS3's came in, and the guy said that lady is taking the last 2!!! They got there delivery overnight and had them from 8 this morning.....Ahhhh.
I should have said something, cause when I was cashing out, I told the cashier, and she said, they are not supposed to sell more than 1 per customer.....Ahhhh
I guess I might be waiting till February for new shipments.....Ahhhhh
Rick

RickP.
post #1650 of 32090 Old 12-17-2006, 11:44 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
What HD player do you own (Blu-ray owners including PS3)

Placed in both the HD DVD and Blu-ray hardware forums.

If you own both you can post in the poll for the other format

Poll for Blu-ray owners
What HD player do you own (Blu-ray owners including PS3)
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=768087

Poll for HD DVD owners
What HD player do you own (HD DVD owners including Xbox add on)
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=768075

"A lot of good arguments are spoiled by some fool who knows what he is talking about." - Miguel de Unamuno

follow me on Twitter
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Blu Ray Players , Blu Ray Movies , Sony , Toshiba , Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page