One-and-Only PS3 as Blu-Ray Player Thread - Page 552 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #16531 of 32090 Old 04-10-2008, 01:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Will I lose any audio quality, or have any issues whatsoever, in playing a DTS HD MA 7.1 track using only 5 speakers and the subwoofer?
On a side note, I am having to pump up the volume to hear dialogue from the center channel but having to lower it when music is played or during action sequences- any suggestions on how I can remedy this? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16532 of 32090 Old 04-10-2008, 01:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by slicric View Post

Will I lose any audio quality, or have any issues whatsoever, in playing a DTS HD MA 7.1 track using only 5 speakers and the subwoofer?
On a side note, I am having to pump up the volume to hear dialogue from the center channel but having to lower it when music is played or during action sequences- any suggestions on how I can remedy this? Thanks

Are your center, left and right speakers tone matched? Same brand and driver design or verified to have similar tonal qualities?

Generally speaking you should calibrate your speaker levels with an SPL meter based on the volume you will typically listen at. If you find the dialogue is a bit hard to hear you can either invest in a better quality center channel or you can bump up the volume to that speaker a few dB. Also, consider the location of the speaker. Center channel should be firing right at ear level for when you are watching a movie, which is sometimes difficult to do since the screen itself is at that level.
post #16533 of 32090 Old 04-10-2008, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I just know I won't be getting much sleep Monday night, checking my PS3 for that update. No, I don't have a life...

Blu Ray... 3-D TV... 4K... I Like New STUFF!!!

post #16534 of 32090 Old 04-10-2008, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicric View Post

first thing you should do is make sure your front speakers are all matched and calibrated.

calibration helped my setup a ton, but not completely. i was able to reduce it a bit more by toe'ing in my left and right just a bit to reduce reflections from my walls (wall treatments were nixed by the wife) and tilting my center a bit so that it's pointed toward the listening position (my center sits horizontally on top of my RPTV.) my front three are all matched (in fact they're all the exact same model.)
post #16535 of 32090 Old 04-10-2008, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ServerKing View Post

I want to get a ps3 but I will wait for a system shell redsign.

You'll be waiting till next gen then, have fun
post #16536 of 32090 Old 04-10-2008, 02:44 PM

Man, I dunno what's the deal. Ever since I DLed this new firmware, I've been noticing stutters in the play of SD DVDs. It's killing me, cuase at first I had the random fast forwarding with one of the OZ season DVD's special features, now minor stutters here and there. In this case, I was playing the Ghostdog DVD and in the second chapter where the camera is panning the roof top where the pigeons are, it stutters. I place the same dvd and rewatched the scene on my 360 - no problems.

Is this a firmware issue? My PS3 is the 40 gig one and I copped it in late December, so I haven't had it FOR THAT LONG. What do you guys think could be the issue? The laser? Dust? What can I do now???
post #16537 of 32090 Old 04-10-2008, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DREtoxication View Post

What can I do now???

Try using Sony support....they might have an idea, and if not they'll replace it since it's still under warranty. I don't recommend patience, get it over with. The up side is, if you need a new one, it'll probably have FW2.3 on it.
post #16538 of 32090 Old 04-10-2008, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbri View Post

patnshan,

For some people it may in fact be placebo effect. Some want the ability to check for themselves to see which sounds better. Some have verified issues with PCM, some major some minor. So it doesn't help to group people who wish the PS3 could bitstream HD audio all together. Thanks.

Look at it this way: All of these lossless codecs (PCM, TrueHD, MA) should be identical to the master. So why should people want anything but PCM (which was a makeshift solution because the BDA didn't have all their licenses in order in time for Blu-ray's launch)? What's the big deal about DTS-MA if it's just a different lossless compression of the master than TrueHD or PCM? People like the option to listen to different audio tracks, even if they may be and/or sound the same. There are probably a lot of people on this thread that have systems that can fully resolve all of the detail in these lossless tracks, let alone have their speakers and sub set up and positioned properly, calibrate their systems manually, know how their receiver is handling bass management and other processing, etc. So for many of these people, PCM/TrueHD/MA could also be "placebo effect" (harkening back to the DD/DTS debate days).

Anyhoo...

The big deal is that FOX is using only DTS MA on some discs....so if you want uncompressed sound on say ID4, you need that feature. Yes Fox could do their discs differently, but they don't.

Walt

Attorneys are like magicians; our shows are expensive and most people have no idea how we did it.
post #16539 of 32090 Old 04-10-2008, 03:24 PM

I just received my Sony card and I am about to purchase a PS3. I wanted to understand how the credit works so I called customer service. Much to my surprise I found out that unless I buy from Sony Style.com or a Sony Style Store (Sony only store, didn't know they existed) the credit is not automatic. I must complete forms and submit the receipt. I was going to buy from Amazon to save the tax dollars. If I buy from Sony Style I have to pay $32 in taxes. Is this everyone's experience with this promotion because I don't remember hearing this from others.
post #16540 of 32090 Old 04-10-2008, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustvid View Post

I just received my Sony card and I am about to purchase a PS3. I wanted to understand how the credit works so I called customer service. Much to my surprise I found out that unless I buy from Sony Style.com or a Sony Style Store (Sony only store, didn't know they existed) the credit is not automatic. I must complete forms and submit the receipt. I was going to buy from Amazon to save the tax dollars. If I buy from Sony Style I have to pay $32 in taxes. Is this everyone's experience with this promotion because I don't remember hearing this from others.

Yes, those were the terms of the promotion. It was quite clearly explained, as I recall.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #16541 of 32090 Old 04-10-2008, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuerch View Post

Of course, if your AVR wont matrix LPCM 5.1 to 7.1 or doesn't offer all listening modes when receiving LPCM 5.1, then we shouldn't care, right?

If your receiver is that old, then the PS3 bitstreaming DD-TrueHD and DTS-MA will not help you either.
post #16542 of 32090 Old 04-10-2008, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post

Yes, those were the terms of the promotion. It was quite clearly explained, as I recall.

Thanks. I've never heard of a Sony Style store and assumed it meant Sony authorized. There are no Sony Style stores where I live so I didn't even know they existed.
post #16543 of 32090 Old 04-10-2008, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by terminal33 View Post

Do you guys think these speakers are good enough "to fully resolve all of the detail" in a TrueHd or DTS-MA track?

You may very well be able to hear a "difference" and probably will. Whether or not you will be able to take advantage of all of the sonic benefits, I do not know. I don't know about the speakers. A lot of it also depends on your receiver, your room acoustics, how the speakers are set up, etc. There are many variables.

To maximize audio benefits, the best things you can do is make sure your speakers are placed in optimum locations (not on/in bookshelves or cabinets, away from side walls (at least for fronts), center speaker not sitting "back" on a shelf, etc.), plus calibrated/level-matched correctly (receiver auto-setup is usually fine, preferably do it with a special setup DVD like Avia along with an SPL meter/tripod), plus all Dynamic Range Control settings off, etc. Room variables would be, making sure you don't have the couch/seating against a wall, put objects on glass/flat coffee table surfaces to reduce reflections (I put a throw blanket over my big coffee table), curtains on windows, as few flat walls as possible (meaning put bookshelves with books, objects, etc. "deflect" sound), as flat walls, pictures, etc. reflect back sound and smear it.

Other things like AC/heaters and other ambient noise mean that quieter, subtler sounds may be harder to hear. Notice a difference in sound in your house between night and day? Less ambient sound at night from outside (din of cars going by, etc.), it's quieter so you can hear a little clearer.

If you want to take it further, you can add room treatments to absorb sound so you hear more of the speakers and less room reflections (which smear the sound and make it sound louder and harsher than it is).

Basically, equipment is very important. But room and setup are just as important for great sound. There's a lot to it, these are just easy tweaks.
post #16544 of 32090 Old 04-10-2008, 04:42 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Well I joined the Dark side..Picked up a 40 GB PS3 and Close encounters of the Third kind....Cant wait to check this out Im now Gaming and DVD format Neutral

Gaming and Movie Format Neutral
HDDVD: 84

BluRay:24

SD-DVD: 222

post #16545 of 32090 Old 04-10-2008, 04:43 PM

Liked: 12
I bought the David Gilmore Blue ray disc about a month ago, played it was amazing, month goes by watched other blue ray movies etc no problems. I put in Gilmore's Blue ray today and the video only plays a 480....Does anyone have any idea what the heck is going on? TrueHD plays at about 6mp and the video is going at like 40 mpbs??? even though its 480...I put in a a couple other discs no problem. What do I do!!! Also the MENU is in 1080p...but the video isn't tried selecting single tracks or playing all

Thanks
post #16546 of 32090 Old 04-10-2008, 04:49 PM

I just splurged and upgraded my HT (see my sig) and now I'm obviously looking for the best sound. I'm now torn between the Panasonic DMP-BD30 and the PS3 as my Blu-ray player.

From what I understand the only difference is that the DMP-BD30 can bitstream DTA-MA and TrueHD where the PS3 sends it over PCM.

Is there a noticible difference in sound quality? Has anyone done a side-by-side comparison?

Pioneer Elite VSX-92TXH
Paradigm Cinema 330
Paradigm ADP-190
Paradigm DSP-3100
Xbox360
PS3
Harmony One Remote
post #16547 of 32090 Old 04-10-2008, 04:49 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustvid View Post

I did the $150 deal when I got my PS3 and bought the unit off Amazon. Credit hit the card in about a month. Maybe things are dif with your deal, but with the one at the time you could buy anywhere and get the credit on your statement.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #16548 of 32090 Old 04-10-2008, 05:01 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by OvrLpdIO View Post

I just splurged and upgraded my HT (see my sig) and now I'm obviously looking for the best sound. I'm now torn between the Panasonic DMP-BD50 and the PS3 as my Blu-ray player.

From what I understand the only difference is that the DMP-BD50 can bitstream DTA-MA and TrueHD where the PS3 sends it over PCM.

Is there a noticible difference in sound quality? Has anyone done a side-by-side comparison?

I just have a weird thing about using gaming consoles as DVD players....So im going the route of both.....maybe not right away but this year

I dont know the difference though between audio...im going to check out the BR stuff today on my PS3

Gaming and Movie Format Neutral
HDDVD: 84

BluRay:24

SD-DVD: 222

post #16549 of 32090 Old 04-10-2008, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

I just splurged and upgraded my HT (see my sig) and now I'm obviously looking for the best sound. I'm now torn between the Panasonic DMP-BD50 and the PS3 as my Blu-ray player.

From what I understand the only difference is that the DMP-BD50 can bitstream DTA-MA and TrueHD where the PS3 sends it over PCM.

The BD50 isn't out yet is it? Basically you're comparing the known vs the unknown, which is always a quagmire.

Brandon
post #16550 of 32090 Old 04-10-2008, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 65
I too have now joined the Darkside.
Ordered the PS3 w\
emote from SonyStyle with the $100 credit.
Now I can Netflix again!

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #16551 of 32090 Old 04-10-2008, 05:31 PM

Quote:

I just splurged and upgraded my HT (see my sig) and now I'm obviously looking for the best sound. I'm now torn between the Panasonic DMP-BD30 and the PS3 as my Blu-ray player.

From what I understand the only difference is that the DMP-BD30 can bitstream DTA-MA and TrueHD where the PS3 sends it over PCM.

I have both and compared the Dolby TrueHD soundtracks of several movies using both my Denon 3808ci and Onkyo 805, and noticed NO perceived difference in SQ (or PQ for that matter) when comparing bitstreamed audio from my BD30 and PCM from my PS3. And since I only had 1 DTS-HD master disc (The Simpson's Movie), I decided the quick load times and faster response times of the PS3, as well as it's media center capabilites and overall greater user-friendliness (IMHO) far outweighed the bitstream capability and DTS-HDMA support of the BD30. Therefore, I'm currently using the PS3 with my Denon in my main theater, and using the BD30 and Onkyo in my bedroom.

Now that the PS3 will soon have DTS-HDMA support, I'm most likely going to sell the Panny and purchase a new PS3 when the revised version is released. I'm using a early release (20gb)PS3 with upgraded 120gb HDD, BTW.

And I SWEAR I'm not a fanboy, this is actually the first Sony product I've ever owned (other than a short time with a STR-DA5300ES and some old Walkman's). That being said, I feel this is one of the best CES purchases I've made...ever.
post #16552 of 32090 Old 04-10-2008, 05:45 PM

Liked: 12
Bump Please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfitzger View Post

I bought the David Gilmore Blue ray disc about a month ago, played it was amazing, month goes by watched other blue ray movies etc no problems. I put in Gilmore's Blue ray today and the video only plays at 480i....Does anyone have any idea what the heck is going on? TrueHD plays at about 6mp and the video is going at like 40 mpbs??? even though its 480i...I put in a a couple other discs no problem. What do I do!!! Also the MENU is in 1080p...but the video isn't.

Thanks

post #16553 of 32090 Old 04-10-2008, 05:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammysan View Post

And I SWEAR I'm not a fanboy, this is actually the first Sony product I've ever owned (other than a short time with a STR-DA5300ES and some old Walkman's). That being said, I feel this is one of the best CES purchases I've made...ever.

Same here buddy! Boy am I glad I did my research because I was going to buy a standalone player because I was anti-Sony but did the right thing in buying the PS3! It was actually a no brainer for me. I'm a happy camper as they say,

Gamertag: BaneAssassin
PSN: BaneAssassin
post #16554 of 32090 Old 04-10-2008, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 52
Quote:

You'll want to do some research on your receiver to see if there are any issues processing PCM. Some receivers may not apply any bass management to PCM (you don't want this - no bass from the 5 channels is re-routed to the sub - issue with PCM plus TrueHD and MA because the PS3 decodes these to PCM), and some receivers might have idiosyncracies with PCM.

In the former case, so if your receiver doesn't apply bass management to PCM, you'd want a different player than the PS3 that can bitstream TrueHD, MA, etc. to the receiver, because the PS3 will only output these as PCM. Straight PCM soundtracks on Blu-ray discs would still be problematic and you'd want to avoid playing these soundtracks totally. In the latter case, where there may be issues but easy to get around, you would have to find a work-around for when viewing PCM (or TrueHD/MA decoded to PCM). If it's a simple work-around, the PS3 would still be a great player.

If your receiver has no known issues with PCM, then the PS3 would be a great match for you. Assuming the fact that there are no known issues isn't because they haven't been found yet. I may have been the first to notice a slight issue with the Sony 5300ES and PCM processing. Easy enough to fix. But if I wasn't so OCD over calibration and audio, I wouldn't know about it and my bass would be neutered with PCM (my fix is to adjust the sub level the correct amount with PCM to make up the difference).

For sound QUALITY, I believe someone said that the stand-alone isn't out yet so there's no way to compare. Unless you have very good system, your room is treated, and your ears are very sensitive, it's possible that you may not even hear any minor differences there might be.

What else are you looking for in the player? Speed (loading, startup), responsiveness, Profile 2.0 compatibility, ethernet port, etc.? Price wise, the PS3 is hard to beat as well.
post #16555 of 32090 Old 04-10-2008, 06:25 PM

I wonder if I have something setup wrong.
Just got my PS3 and hooked it to my Panasonic TH-50PX80. This is a 720p Plamsa...
Still, the Blu-ray or cars is stunning! I do have one question.
When the whole screen pans... there is a bit of a 'studder'. This is something I expect from LCD. I do NOT get this on 1080i input from OTA or Directtv receiver.

Do I have something set wrong? Either on the TV or the unit?
post #16556 of 32090 Old 04-10-2008, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akysten View Post

I wonder if I have something setup wrong.
Just got my PS3 and hooked it to my Panasonic TH-50PX80. This is a 720p Plamsa...
Still, the Blu-ray or cars is stunning! I do have one question.
When the whole screen pans... there is a bit of a 'studder'. This is something I expect from LCD. I do NOT get this on 1080i input from OTA or Directtv receiver.

Do I have something set wrong? Either on the TV or the unit?

Might want to check the 24fps setting and turn it off or on. Just a thought. It's hard to diagnose sets that are limited to 720p since there's more to a smooth motion than just the resolution capability. 120Hz/1080p and 24fps. Plus, processing capability of the receiver/HDTV.

http://manuals.playstation.net/docum...ings.html#2462
post #16557 of 32090 Old 04-10-2008, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbri View Post

You'll want to do some research on your receiver to see if there are any issues processing PCM. Some receivers may not apply any bass management to PCM (you don't want this - no bass from the 5 channels is re-routed to the sub - issue with PCM plus TrueHD and MA because the PS3 decodes these to PCM), and some receivers might have idiosyncracies with PCM.

In the former case, so if your receiver doesn't apply bass management to PCM, you'd want a different player than the PS3 that can bitstream TrueHD, MA, etc. to the receiver, because the PS3 will only output these as PCM. Straight PCM soundtracks on Blu-ray discs would still be problematic and you'd want to avoid playing these soundtracks totally. In the latter case, where there may be issues but easy to get around, you would have to find a work-around for when viewing PCM (or TrueHD/MA decoded to PCM). If it's a simple work-around, the PS3 would still be a great player.

If your receiver has no known issues with PCM, then the PS3 would be a great match for you. Assuming the fact that there are no known issues isn't because they haven't been found yet. I may have been the first to notice a slight issue with the Sony 5300ES and PCM processing. Easy enough to fix. But if I wasn't so OCD over calibration and audio, I wouldn't know about it and my bass would be neutered with PCM (my fix is to adjust the sub level the correct amount with PCM to make up the difference).

For sound QUALITY, I believe someone said that the stand-alone isn't out yet so there's no way to compare. Unless you have very good system, your room is treated, and your ears are very sensitive, it's possible that you may not even hear any minor differences there might be.

What else are you looking for in the player? Speed (loading, startup), responsiveness, Profile 2.0 compatibility, ethernet port, etc.? Price wise, the PS3 is hard to beat as well.

Great thanks for your response! I was looking to confirm that my receiver has bass management and stumbled across this post:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post13232945

It looks like this has everything I need!

Pioneer Elite VSX-92TXH
Paradigm Cinema 330
Paradigm ADP-190
Paradigm DSP-3100
Xbox360
PS3
Harmony One Remote
post #16558 of 32090 Old 04-10-2008, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
quick question, i am getting an a/v receiver that outputs dts-hd and dolby digital HD. What should I set the ps3 to in order to get these two to work, bitstream or pcm.
post #16559 of 32090 Old 04-10-2008, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think the only person who's argued it makes an audible difference also believes his equipment sounds better with a special rock sitting on top of it (or maybe it was some other silly thing like wooden volume knobs or something...)
post #16560 of 32090 Old 04-10-2008, 07:12 PM

Can the ps3 output component and HDMI at the same time? I think I read somewhere that it could.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Blu Ray Players , Blu Ray Movies , Sony , Toshiba , Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page