Old 04-11-2008, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRT View Post

I guess we don't have much to bitch about anymore. The PS3 is powerful as The Emperor had foreseen!

Believe it or not, there are threads complaining about this upcoming update because it doesn't contain in-game texting

But then again that was on a gaming forum, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Brandon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2008, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreepy View Post

So after watching close encounters of the 3rd kind on my PS3, I may be second guess a stand alone player...Im still really weird about using gaming consoles as DVD players but all i have to say is Im pretty impressed with CEO3K on Blueray and pretty impressed with the PS3 BR player...

To be honest, if I were in the market for a stand-alone this year the only one I'd be considering was the BD50. But for all it's features, it has no gaurantee of performing as efficiently as the PS3.

Brandon
Old 04-11-2008, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 24
The processing power of the PS3 makes it the king of ALL current Blu-ray players and power consumption.

Blu-ray : 340
Old 04-11-2008, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgans316 View Post

The processing power of the PS3 makes it the king of ALL current Blu-ray players and power consumption.

I guess efficiency wasn't the right word to use there, as the thing is a power hog But the performance is robust and for speed of operation it's hard to beat.

Brandon
Old 04-11-2008, 10:42 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bplewis24 View Post

I guess efficiency wasn't the right word to use there, as the thing is a power hog But the performance is robust and for speed of operation it's hard to beat.

Brandon

Has anybody really given any proof that the PS3 is really a power hog?
I haven't seen an increase in my bill and the lights don't dim when I turn it on.
Old 04-11-2008, 10:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLIANCE68 View Post

Has anybody really given any proof that the PS3 is really a power hog?
I haven't seen an increase in my bill and the lights don't dim when I turn it on.

The PS3 does use about 175 watts during movie playback, but I hardly call that "power hog" type use. For many of us with huge subwoofers, big AVRs and massive displays that's just a drop in the bucket.

For comparison purposes these are the tested power draws of different devices. While the PS3 uses more power than a regular DVD player it doesn't use much more power than the Xbox 360 or a home theater PC;

http://www.hardcoreware.net/reviews/review-356-3.htm

Also many people have argued that they leave their PS3 turned on all the time because it doesn't use any more power when idle than it uses when it is in standby mode. This article shows that is a flatly wrong assumption as the PS3 uses almost 180 watts just sitting there at the welcome screen!! By comparison it uses about 1.9 watts when it is in standby mode.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Category 5 View Post

Well, there have been a lot of people who have argued this...all of them have systems that can decode the newer codecs. Most of the people who insist it is only in their heads have systems that can not decode the newer codecs.

I can attest that, at least on the Onkyo recievers, there is an audible difference and bitstreamed audio sounds better than multichannel decoded in the player. I have tried and tried to ignore it, but to no avail. It could be down to something the Onkyo does, but get one of the new Onkyo and compare yourself. you'll likely hear it too.

Well, there's no difference on my Onkyo receiver except on DTS 6.1 tracks (which the PS3 decodes as 5.1). Sure, on some disks the volume level of various tracks is slightly different, but if you adjust each to the same level and use the same listening mode, it sounds the same. Beware that on the lower end Onkyo's, like the 605, you can't apply much of the audio processing if you make it do the decoding of some of the codecs (it doesn't have the DSP power) so bitstream will actually sound worse.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

The PS3 does use about 175 watts during movie playback, but I hardly call that "power hog" type use. For many of us with huge subwoofers, big AVRs and massive displays that's just a drop in the bucket.

For comparison purposes these are the tested power draws of different devices. While the PS3 uses more power than a regular DVD player it doesn't use much more power than the Xbox 360 or a home theater PC;

http://www.hardcoreware.net/reviews/review-356-3.htm

Also many people have argued that they leave their PS3 turned on all the time because it doesn't use any more power when idle than it uses when it is in standby mode. This article shows that is a flatly wrong assumption as the PS3 uses almost 180 watts just sitting there at the welcome screen!! By comparison it uses about 1.9 watts when it is in standby mode.

Thanks for the info. You know what that means, the wife can't use the hair dryer or curling iron (1500 watts ea.) and my daughter will have to go without lunch one day a week; to power the home theatre.
Seriously this has to be fud from when the console first came out.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
With the upcoming FW 2.30 does anyone know whether or not the PS3 will support raw pcm for external decoding?

XBOX Gamertag:deezusmusic
Old 04-11-2008, 11:49 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugg77 View Post

It doesn't sound like anything is necessarily wrong with your PS3, but that it's a handshake issue. I don't know what you can do about that because both devices are probably working properly, just not playing nice together.

That's what I've concluded. It so happens that I also problems with the Oppo 980H player I just received today. (As the Spanish say "Jesuits die in threes.") Over at that thread someone kindly suggested turning on the system in the following order: TV, receiver and then the player. The idea was to see if it was a handshake issue.

While the Oppo turned out to defective, I tried this with the PS3 and it worked. I'm wondering if I haven't always had a handshake problem but it seemed intermittent because I turn on the system in different ways. (If that makes any sense.)

One thing is clear: Sony technical support is useless. The guy I spoke to suggested running the HDMI directly to my TV. When I incredulously asked him about the PS3's sound capabilities, he said that I should run an optical cable to my receiver. They don't know their own product. Sigh.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:49 AM

So it finally gets DTS-HD MA! Just another reason not to get a PS3. Now I have a couple questions before I pull the trigger on this thing...

1) noise. is it really as bad as some people say? or have the newer generations gotten much quieter?

2) standard def upscaling. how is it? is it above average?

3) action scenes. some people still complain that the PS3 can't do action well. any truth to this?
Old 04-11-2008, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
ok, so I understand that the 80gb sku is disappearing and I was considering getting a 40gb. I see that I lose a few things but someone was telling me that I may not be able to play like "metal gear solid" when that releases due to hard drive capicity....any takers? thanks

"How long were you in Mexico?"
" uh...a week, no, no, a day..."
"Well, which is it a week or a day?
"uh...a weekday?"
Old 04-11-2008, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colombianlove41 View Post

ok, so I understand that the 80gb sku is disappewaring and I was considering getting a 40gb. I see that I lose a few things but someone was telling me that I may not be able to play like metal gear solid when that releases due to hard drive capicity....any takers? thanks

You got to stop listening to those BB and GS employees. Seriously though, no, that's not true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckerfan View Post

So it finally gets DTS-HD MA! Just another reason not to get a PS3. Now I have a couple questions before I pull the trigger on this thing...

1) noise. is it really as bad as some people say? or have the newer generations gotten much quieter?

2) standard def upscaling. how is it? is it above average?

3) action scenes. some people still complain that the PS3 can't do action well. any truth to this?

1) The 40GB units are significantly quieter.

2) The general consensus that most people will probably agree on is that its, at a minimum, above average. Looks pretty good, IMO. But there are better upscalers out there.

3) Huh? I don't really understand your question (or what the people you're talking about are refering to).
Old 04-11-2008, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckerfan View Post

None.

Brandon
Old 04-11-2008, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

so i would be fine with a 40 gb?

"uh...a weekday?"
Old 04-11-2008, 01:47 PM

If you talk to an informed BB employee, they will tell you that you will start to see the 80gig PS3 coming back around mid-June packaged with a different game / movie other than Motorstorm....

If PS2 compatability isnt as issue, then get the 40gig. The only thing that the 80 offers is the larger hard drive (can be replaced anyways), the two extra USB ports (hub???) and a memory card reader (hub + reader??)
Old 04-11-2008, 01:57 PM
JVi
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidTension View Post

If you talk to an informed BB employee, they will tell you that you will start to see the 80gig PS3 coming back around mid-June packaged with a different game / movie other than Motorstorm....

If PS2 compatability isnt as issue, then get the 40gig. The only thing that the 80 offers is the larger hard drive (can be replaced anyways), the two extra USB ports (hub???) and a memory card reader (hub + reader??)

... and SACD playback?
Old 04-11-2008, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Category 5 View Post

Well, there have been a lot of people who have argued this...all of them have systems that can decode the newer codecs. Most of the people who insist it is only in their heads have systems that can not decode the newer codecs.

I can attest that, at least on the Onkyo recievers, there is an audible difference and bitstreamed audio sounds better than multichannel decoded in the player. I have tried and tried to ignore it, but to no avail. It could be down to something the Onkyo does, but get one of the new Onkyo and compare yourself. you'll likely hear it too.

This is the reason why I am having second thought of getting the ps3, And just returned my bd30 this morning, I noticed the same thing with bd10a doing the decoding and pass pcm to my Onkyo 705, But when I tried the bd30 and bitstream it to my Onkyo 705 I noticed that bitstreaming sounds better with all other codecs PCM, Truhd and specially the DTS HD MA much improvement now don't have another machine to compare dts hd ma via pcm because my bd10a does'nt decode it. But I am afraid I might not get satisfied with the ps3 result. How is the truhd and pcm sounds with ps3 decoding it?

I returned the bd30 in anticipation of getting a better deal with sony s350.

Peter
Enjoy HD no matter what......
Old 04-11-2008, 02:22 PM

I guess this was posted a couple of hundred pages back but still, a refresh for the people that doesn't know theres a MGS4 ps3 coming:

GUN-METAL GREY PS3

As you can see the Specs are:

- 80GB HDD
- A Dual-Shock 3 Crontroller
- MGS4
- A Metal Gear Online "Starter Pack"

Price: $499

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/...ails-revealed/
Old 04-11-2008, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

any dates for the release of the mgs4 ps3 above?

Peter
Enjoy HD no matter what......
Old 04-11-2008, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutlian View Post

any dates for the release of the mgs4 ps3 above?

Not sure of the release date, but I'd assume it's around the same time the game is released.

Regardless, the "gun metal" version is a limited edition version and is expected to be in extremely short supply. The standard Metal Gear Solid edition will be no different than the current 80GB PS3 as far as I know.

Brandon
Old 04-11-2008, 02:43 PM

Ok, I'm confused by all the discussions around Bitstream and LPCM. I recently purchased a Denon 4308CI and have been struggling on selecting a Bluray player.

I want the best sound I can get out of the Denon and am not sure now if the PS3 will give me that???
Old 04-11-2008, 02:48 PM

Am I correct in assuming that the 40GB PS3 does not have SACD playback while the (apparently discontinued) 80GB version did?

Format Neutral
Old 04-11-2008, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

ok, this should be the last question: i see that people say you can upgrade the harddrive on the PS3, I'm guessing that would void your warranty? Would it not take upgrades like if you hack a 360 or an iPhone?

"uh...a weekday?"
Old 04-11-2008, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colombianlove41 View Post

ok, this should be the last question: i see that people say you can upgrade the harddrive on the PS3, I'm guessing that would void your warranty? Would it not take upgrades like if you hack a 360 or an iPhone?

No it does not void the warranty, it even shows you how to do this in the owners manual.

"Racing is........Life.......Everything before & after is just waiting"
Old 04-11-2008, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanteX View Post

I guess this was posted a couple of hundred pages back but still, a refresh for the people that doesn't know theres a MGS4 ps3 coming:

As you can see the Specs are:

- 80GB HDD
- A Dual-Shock 3 Crontroller
- MGS4
- A Metal Gear Online "Starter Pack"

Price: $499

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/...ails-revealed/

That's a little misleading. The 80gig in that pack isn't gunmetal.

We won't know what the Gunmetal is for sure until monday.

Ridiculous codec tier sig gone. Still AVC/24bit lossless fanboy.

Studio quality tier
Most Major studios>Small Studios>dogs>cats>Warner(the guys that do new movies)
Old 04-11-2008, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTYoung View Post

Am I correct in assuming that the 40GB PS3 does not have SACD playback while the (apparently discontinued) 80GB version did?

Correct.
Old 04-11-2008, 03:27 PM

I'm having 2nd thoughts regarding my Panny BD-30 purchase. Nothing is wrong with the player but I just officially picked it up last week for $400. Ordered it months ago and has been back ordered. I could wait since I had a PS3 for movie viewing. I wanted a separate player for BD play back so that I don't shorten the life of my 60GB PS3 and for DTS-HDMA, which my receiver can decode. I play a lot of PS2 games so I need it to last longer, I know nothing is guaranteed but taking BD playback out of the equation might help it. Now with the PS3 being able to playback DTS-HDMA (as of Tuesday, April 15th) in it's full glory, I don't see why I wouldn't pick up another PS3 instead of the BD30. I mean it has all of blu-ray's profiles and is the quickest. I wonder if there would be a problem with having 2 PS3s in my entertainment center as far as controls go. Or should I move the 60GB into the bedroom and keep the 40GB in the livingroom? I don't mind if the 40GB eventually went bad somewhere down the line as that one will be readily available but being the 60GB is discontinued that one is more special. Any thoughts?
Old 04-11-2008, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian457 View Post

I'm having 2nd thoughts regarding my Panny BD-30 purchase. Nothing is wrong with the player but I just officially picked it up last week for $400. Ordered it months ago and has been back ordered. I could wait since I had a PS3 for movie viewing. I wanted a separate player for BD play back so that I don't shorten the life of my 60GB PS3 and for DTS-HDMA, which my receiver can decode. I play a lot of PS2 games so I need it to last longer, I know nothing is guaranteed but taking BD playback out of the equation might help it. Now with the PS3 being able to playback DTS-HDMA (as of Tuesday, April 15th) in it's full glory, I don't see why I wouldn't pick up another PS3 instead of the BD30. I mean it has all of blu-ray's profiles and is the quickest. I wonder if there would be a problem with having 2 PS3s in my entertainment center as far as controls go. Or should I move the 60GB into the bedroom and keep the 40GB in the livingroom? I don't mind if the 40GB eventually went bad somewhere down the line as that one will be readily available but being the 60GB is discontinued that one is more special. Any thoughts?

This advice may be going against the grain, here. But if you waited that long for the BD 30, the BD 50 might be worth another small wait. That assumes that it doesn't street at much higher than $400, though...and I believe the MSRP is still unconfirmed?

Anyhow, two ps3s in the same rack does seem problematic as you may have trouble controlling them. As far as I know, the BT remote can only be registered with one console at a time. If you do buy two PS3s, moving one to the bedroom would probably make more sense.

Nevertheless, a stand-alone would fit into your Home Theatre a little more conveniently for universal remote control purposes, so having a PS3 for games and the occasional BD playback and a BD50 for movie playback (assuming it is all it's expected to be and free from issues) would be nice. But if you're into saving money at the present time (like me) one device that can do almost everything is preferred.

Brandon
Old 04-11-2008, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian457 View Post

Why not just buy an extended warranty on the PS3 and use the heck out of it?

Would be a lot cheaper than a second unit.

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Blu Ray Players , Blu Ray Movies , Sony , Toshiba , Playstation 3 160gb System