One-and-Only PS3 as Blu-Ray Player Thread - Page 555 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #16621 of 32090 Old 04-11-2008, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Or get another PS3 after the first one actually breaks...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16622 of 32090 Old 04-11-2008, 03:42 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rutlian View Post

This is the reason why I am having second thought of getting the ps3, And just returned my bd30 this morning, I noticed the same thing with bd10a doing the decoding and pass pcm to my Onkyo 705, But when I tried the bd30 and bitstream it to my Onkyo 705 I noticed that bitstreaming sounds better with all other codecs PCM, Truhd and specially the DTS HD MA much improvement now don't have another machine to compare dts hd ma via pcm because my bd10a does'nt decode it. But I am afraid I might not get satisfied with the ps3 result. How is the truhd and pcm sounds with ps3 decoding it?

I returned the bd30 in anticipation of getting a better deal with sony s350.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdmann View Post

Ok, I'm confused by all the discussions around Bitstream and LPCM. I recently purchased a Denon 4308CI and have been struggling on selecting a Bluray player.

I want the best sound I can get out of the Denon and am not sure now if the PS3 will give me that???

In both cases, the only way to know is to listen for yourselves. Just from the posts I've seen there seem to be more people who hear no difference between bitstreaming to their AVR or LPCM from the PS3.

Theoretically, there shouldn't be any difference. It really depends on how your AVR handles LPCM.

The Denon 4308CI should be a great match for the PS3. I'm not sure about the Onkyo's. The 705 should allow you to post-process LPCM from the PS3, but you'll have to verify that in the manual. I have seen posts about some AVR's not handling bass management from LPCM signals.
post #16623 of 32090 Old 04-11-2008, 04:24 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

By comparison it uses about 1.9 watts when it is in standby mode.

Hate to ask a stupid question, but how do you get to "standby mode"? Mine seems to be either ON or OFF?
post #16624 of 32090 Old 04-11-2008, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugg77 View Post

In both cases, the only way to know is to listen for yourselves. Just from the posts I've seen there seem to be more people who hear no difference between bitstreaming to their AVR or LPCM from the PS3.

Theoretically, there shouldn't be any difference. It really depends on how your AVR handles LPCM.

The Denon 4308CI should be a great match for the PS3. I'm not sure about the Onkyo's. The 705 should allow you to post-process LPCM from the PS3, but you'll have to verify that in the manual. I have seen posts about some AVR's not handling bass management from LPCM signals.

Are these people who have compared to players that can actually bitstream TrueHD/DD+/DTS MA? Because the PS3 can't do this, and without a player that can, there's no way to compare.

Why using other people's TV settings is a
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #16625 of 32090 Old 04-11-2008, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by XTRME 94 View Post

Hate to ask a stupid question, but how do you get to "standby mode"? Mine seems to be either ON or OFF?

Fully "off" means no red light on the front, power switch on the back set to off.

Standby is "off" but with the red light on the front.

Most electronics seem to be in "standby" mode all the time and continue to draw power, albeit small amounts.

Why using other people's TV settings is a

post #16626 of 32090 Old 04-11-2008, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbri View Post

Are these people who have compared to players that can actually bitstream TrueHD/DD+/DTS MA? Because the PS3 can't do this, and without a player that can, there's no way to compare.

it's the same sound in the end. i've compared true hd pcm from my ps3 to bitstreamed from my BD30 on my onkyo 805 and they are no different.

WIDESCREEN WAS MADE FOR FOOTBALL!!
Anxiously waiting for a next gen HD-Rom media format to replace the old spinning disc technology.
Go Dallas Cowboys!!
post #16627 of 32090 Old 04-11-2008, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutlian View Post

I noticed that bitstreaming sounds better with all other codecs PCM,

?? the pcm track is not bitstreamed in any case thus it is impossible for it to sound any different ?? Hence the word PCM.

Anxiously waiting for a next gen HD-Rom media format to replace the old spinning disc technology.
Go Dallas Cowboys!!
post #16628 of 32090 Old 04-11-2008, 05:42 PM

cappy,

Long time no post. I assume you've been away because it's hard to find good crow to eat. Yes, yes, I know you accepted reality right before the announcement, but come on, we had to needle you just a little.
post #16629 of 32090 Old 04-11-2008, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyle_JP View Post

cappy,

Long time no post. I assume you've been away because it's hard to find good crow to eat. Yes, yes, I know you accepted reality right before the announcement, but come on, we had to needle you just a little.

i'll take all the needling as long as it is happening i don't mind at all neeedle away!!!!

all it really took was the one member who poosted the item direct from a 1st hand source.. that's all it would have ever taken.

I've actualy been away playing with my new toy.. Directv hd tier. i switched from dish and love it especialy in 10 minutes BSG in HD on the sci-fi hd channel
and this year i am really thinking about Sunday ticket super fan!

ok going to watch BSG and eat some more crow

Go Dallas Cowboys!!
post #16630 of 32090 Old 04-11-2008, 06:03 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

Fully "off" means no red light on the front, power switch on the back set to off.

Standby is "off" but with the red light on the front.

Most electronics seem to be in "standby" mode all the time and continue to draw power, albeit small amounts.

I guess that makes sense. I'm just use to "standby" as in computer, meaning it could still be connected to the internet, which I found out the first day while downloading, that's not possible with a PS3. It's about the only thing I don't like about it. If it could continue with downloads while in "standby mode" it would be PERFECT..............at least after the 2.30 audio updates.
post #16631 of 32090 Old 04-11-2008, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappyxavs View Post

i'll take all the needling as long as it is happening i don't mind at all neeedle away!!!!

I promised I would, so...here you go. Hot out of the oven.

Quote:

all it really took was the one member who poosted the item direct from a 1st hand source.. that's all it would have ever taken.

You probably won't, but maybe next time you'll have a little more faith when Penton-Man posts something. He even told us the date, although no one figured it out. When he posted the PS3 was getting DTS HD MA he said something like it was as certain as death and taxes, which can now be deciphered as it'll be released on Tax Day.

Anyway, I'm glad this silliness is behind us.

Pics from my TV
and
post #16632 of 32090 Old 04-11-2008, 06:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 48
hows the vid quality was thinking of getting this or the bd50

pcm=potato
bitstream=patato
post #16633 of 32090 Old 04-11-2008, 06:44 PM

I have a quick question about the sacd from the ps3, is it better to use the ps3 sacd via hdmi or use the analog outs on my pioneer elite dv 79avi which has 6 burr brown dacs. I was just trying to cut down on the amount of cable usage, but if the 79 is better ill use the analogs. Thanks
post #16634 of 32090 Old 04-11-2008, 06:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

it's the same sound in the end. i've compared true hd pcm from my ps3 to bitstreamed from my BD30 on my onkyo 805 and they are no different.

Quote:

Case in point... most of the posts I've seen were people who had the BD30 and compared the two (BD30 bitstream vs PS3 LPCM). Like I said, it seems like most people didn't notice a difference, but there are some that say it was an obvious difference.

I don't have the ability to test it myself, but theoretically, it shouldn't sound any different.
post #16635 of 32090 Old 04-11-2008, 08:09 PM

Hi, im using me ps3 as my blu-ray player, my recievers a rotel rsx-1057. I cant get the blu-ray side to output audio. no problem on the cable box side. ive tried outputting to the receiver with optical, hdmi/optical, hdmi. anybody have any ideas whats going on? thanks.
post #16636 of 32090 Old 04-11-2008, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris0 View Post

I promised I would, so...here you go. Hot out of the oven.

You probably won't, but maybe next time you'll have a little more faith when Penton-Man posts something. He even told us the date, although no one figured it out. When he posted the PS3 was getting DTS HD MA he said something like it was as certain as death and taxes, which can now be deciphered as it'll be released on Tax Day.

Anyway, I'm glad this silliness is behind us.

yum, thanks for the crow it was very tasty
I am glad to see it behind us as well

can't wait for tax time!!! Refund, Dts-ma, stimulouse pack wahoooo!

Go Dallas Cowboys!!
post #16637 of 32090 Old 04-11-2008, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiophreak View Post

I have a quick question about the sacd from the ps3, is it better to use the ps3 sacd via hdmi or use the analog outs on my pioneer elite dv 79avi which has 6 burr brown dacs. I was just trying to cut down on the amount of cable usage, but if the 79 is better ill use the analogs. Thanks

HDMI is the only way to utilize the sacd portion. especially since a good number of those sacd's are multi channel. i believe you will only get the cd standard track from the rca analogs ot a optical line.

Go Dallas Cowboys!!
post #16638 of 32090 Old 04-11-2008, 08:30 PM

Hi, im using me ps3 as my blu-ray player, my recievers a rotel rsx-1057. I cant get the blu-ray side to output audio. no problem on the cable box side. ive tried outputting to the receiver with optical, hdmi/optical, hdmi. anybody have any ideas whats going on? thanks.
post #16639 of 32090 Old 04-11-2008, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Between DTS HD MA decoding and GT5: Prologue there are going to be some very happy PS3 owners next week, myself included.

Pics from my TV
and
post #16640 of 32090 Old 04-11-2008, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newb0101 View Post

How did you set it up in the PS3's menu? Did you go to Settings>Sound Settings>Audio Output Settings and select all the options available to you?

Pics from my TV
and
post #16641 of 32090 Old 04-11-2008, 09:25 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
OK, I'm fully aware that firmware v2.30 is coming out next week. I am currently at v2.20 on my 60GB PS3. I was able to borrow a DTS HD demo Blu-ray disc, and couldn't resist trying it out. There are multiple demo tracks on this disc, in different DTS formats.

Just for kicks, I paid attention to how the PS3 (with v2.20 firmware) handles DTS HS tracks (which it currently doesn't support), and how it sends them to the receiver. Below, I summarize first what the actual soundtrack format is according to the BD disc menu, then what the PS3 reports it's outputing, and finally what the Sony 5300ES receiver says that it is receiving.

Note that I had the PS3 set to Bitstream output over HDMI for all of this testing:

BD disc: DTS 5.1
PS3 reports: DTS Multi-Channel 48kHz 1.5Mbps
Receiver reports: DTS [3/2.1]

BD disc: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
Receiver reports: DTS [3/2.1]

BD disc: DTS-HD Master Audio 6.1
Receiver reports: DTS-ES Dscrt [3/3.1]

BD disc: DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1
Receiver reports: DTS-ES Mtrx [3/2.1]

BD disc: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.0 96/24
Receiver reports: DTS [3/2]

It's interesting to see above how the PS3 outputs the 6.1 and 7.1 formats (they came through as Descrete and Matrixed -ES formats, respectively).

My understanding is that DTS-HD & DTS-HD MA tracks carry the core bitstream at 1.5Mbps inside their data stream, and so the PS3 is simply outputting that. I.e., the PS3 isn't doing any kind of conversion...

OK, I'm a HUGE fan of Bitstream, and so count me as one of the folks who wants the PS3 to output ALL formats as Bistream (including DSD for SACDs). But I have actually noticed today one thing you lose with Bitstream. While watching videos, you can fast forward at 1.5x, and the audio will continue to play. However, this only works if you have the PS3 converting to PCM - it doesn't work with Bitstream output. I still want the PS3 to have Bistream, but there's finally ONE advantage of PCM conversion in the player....
post #16642 of 32090 Old 04-11-2008, 10:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
bsd, so if I'm reading your results correctly, it output the DTS 6.1 track as 6 discrete channels but for the 7.1 track it output at 5.1 channels and required matrixing for the last two channels?

Lastly, I use the PS3 on bitstream and I get audio when FF 1.5x.

Brandon

Brandon 

post #16643 of 32090 Old 04-12-2008, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdmann View Post

Ok, I'm confused by all the discussions around Bitstream and LPCM. I recently purchased a Denon 4308CI and have been struggling on selecting a Bluray player.

I want the best sound I can get out of the Denon and am not sure now if the PS3 will give me that???

The PS3 is a great bang for the buck. It will do everything you need except Bitstream the lossless codecs. You'll still hear these codecs but it will be the PS3 decoding them and not your 4308. Essentially the same, though there is post processing the 4308 can do with Bitstream and cannot do with PCM. I love the PS3 because it's super versatile, it will be sold for a few more years and is CONSTANTLY updated. You will NOT enjoy as much of these benefits from a stand alone player that will be discontinued 6 months after its introduction. Nice Amp BTW!
post #16644 of 32090 Old 04-12-2008, 05:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rombryo View Post

The PS3 is a great bang for the buck. It will do everything you need except Bitstream the lossless codecs. You'll still hear these codecs but it will be the PS3 decoding them and not your 4308. Essentially the same, though there is post processing the 4308 can do with Bitstream and cannot do with PCM. I love the PS3 because it's super versatile, it will be sold for a few more years and is CONSTANTLY updated. You will NOT enjoy as much of these benefits from a stand alone player that will be discontinued 6 months after its introduction. Nice Amp BTW!

Are you sure about this? I was under the impression that the 4308 was able to post process LPCM and that it properly managed bass from LPCM.

Nobody with the PS3 should "need" bitstreaming capability as long as they buy an AVR with the proper capabilities which are fairly common among the newer HDMI 1.3a AVRs. It is NOT a defect of the PS3 that it does the decoding. Just like it is not a defect of the BD30 that it bitstreams... in both cases, you have to choose the AVR that is appropriate to your setup.

Bitstreaming is not inherently superior to internal decoding.
post #16645 of 32090 Old 04-12-2008, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Lastly, I use the PS3 on bitstream and I get audio when FF 1.5x.

no... LPCM gives you audio during FF....

Jim White
St. Petersburg, FL
post #16646 of 32090 Old 04-12-2008, 08:00 AM

i just rented to Dewy Cox for blu-ray (using ps3) and i tried the BD-Live features (nothing spectacular). I was just wondering when you download trailers, are they locally stored in the ps3 hard drive? how much space to they take? and the main question is how can i delete BD-LIVE content on my ps3.
post #16647 of 32090 Old 04-12-2008, 09:07 AM

Which remote should I buy if I don't care about using with a Harmony remote? Which remote is better the Sony Blue Tooth or the Nyko? My PS3 will be here Wednesday and I want to pick up a remote before it gets here.
post #16648 of 32090 Old 04-12-2008, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustvid View Post

Which remote should I buy if I don't care about using with a Harmony remote? Which remote is better the Sony Blue Tooth or the Nyko? My PS3 will be here Wednesday and I want to pick up a remote before it gets here.

The Sony has more capability. The Nyko's major feature is that it is a low cost way to integrate with an IR universal remote, such as the Harmony.

Dave Hancock
post #16649 of 32090 Old 04-12-2008, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustvid View Post

PS3 Remote
post #16650 of 32090 Old 04-12-2008, 09:22 AM

davehancock & ALLIANCE68:

Thanks. I am glad I asked. I also know the Nyko is back lit or has glow in the dark buttons and the Sony does not. Amazon has the Sony on sale for $19.99 and BB is $24.99.

ALLIANCE68: I hope the Flames beat the Sharks. I am a Stars fan (live in the DFW area). I am hoping they beat the Ducks tonight to go up two games to nill. It's been a while since the Stars won a playoff series.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Blu Ray Players , Blu Ray Movies , Sony , Toshiba , Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page