Forum Jump: 

post #17011 of 32100 Old 04-16-2008, 10:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gundyrat1 View Post

I did the update yesterday to 2.30 and was also in the process of combining 2 demo disc onto a single DVD and one of the tracks is recorded in unspecified DTS 6.1 and on my reciever when playing it with 7.1 channels enabled the display clearly says
DTS-Matrix 6.1 so while the Playstation update page says that this format is unsupported it apparently works

Hmmm...I think I remember somebody saying that the PS3 can still bitstream those legacy DTS codecs out to the receiver for decoding, but when the PS3 decodes the legacy DTS codecs of DTS-ES 6.1, DTS 6.1 Matrix etc. it only decodes it as if it was regular DTS 5.1

"Don't you hate it when patients come to you with information they found on the web?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17012 of 32100 Old 04-16-2008, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coasterguy View Post

I guess that is where I am not educated. What is the difference where the sound is decoded. Is my Yamaha new enough to do this. The manual says HDMI 1.2
Thanks again for your response. I actually like the looks of the PS3 I wonder of the heat it is said to throw off. Will it be ok on top of my cable box? That is where it most go..
I guess it does not matter to me as I can get them both for the same price. I just want to make the right choice and be done with it. Oh yeah, Using a sammy 50" plasma 2 years old. 720p

With your Yamaha RXV-661, the PS3 is a good choice because your receiver is not capable of decoding the new formats itself, but can enjoy Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA after it has been decoded by the PS3 into PCM sent over HDMI.

"Don't you hate it when patients come to you with information they found on the web?"
post #17013 of 32100 Old 04-16-2008, 10:34 PM

Quote:

So I am reading all of these forums as I would like to replace my HD-DVD player that I sold with a Blu-Ray. I have a Yamaha RXV661 receiver from 2007. I think it is HDMI 1.2 only. I currently have 5.1 B&W speaker setup now but could do 7.1 later as the yamaha does that. My question is. PS3 or panny 30k for my purchase. You guys seem to know more about the audio than I do. Thanks in advance and sorry if this annoys anyone in any way!

I'm in the same quandry. Was totally leaning towards the PS3 given it's future proofness but now I'm concerned about the UI.

I have really been into console gaming. Mostly a pc gamer so the whole controller thing is a new thing for me. I'd like to be able to have the standard interface of a DVD player if possible so that even if I can use it.. others in the house can also easily figure it out.

Does getting the DVD remote make the UI just like a "normal" Dvd player?

Also.. what's this I hear about the new PS3s? What's the difference going to be? When is it due out?

Thanks!
post #17014 of 32100 Old 04-16-2008, 11:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

I have to admit I never wanted to see a PS3 in my theater set up. I was wrong. After doing some good A/B comparisons and most recently having a Denon 3800, 2500, Pioneer 95FD and Panny BD30 in my set up I can now say they are all pretty much even at 1080p/24 (23.98). The PS3 even surpasses them in some areas. My Sony VW200 PJ can accept 10 bit color and since the PS3 does 10 bit color I can see an improvement in color. And of course I don't have to mention the way faster load times either. Last night we watched Juno and the color and overall pic Q was astounding. I am used to having a few minutes to get popcorn and drinks ready so I was under the gun when the PS3 loaded the movie so fast. I have been experimenting with a lot of my Blu ray collection and so far not any of them has had a single playback issue. That is very rare these days with all the HD players on the market. I also have to say I don't know what the fuss is about over the remotes. I purchased both of them and used the nyko to teach my Sony Navitus and Universal MX3000 the commands. I will use the PS3 Bluetooth remote sometimes as well. Another complaint from others is that the PS3 is loud. I did get the 40GB version but I can honestly say it is very quiet. Maybe they got theirs from launch. I can confidently say that I saved the best for last. The PS3 beats the rest in overall performance. And to think I got it for 299! I am also pleased with the 2.30 update and hope they keep more bonus updates coming. Being able to update online or thru a USB flashcard (like my crystalio II) is sweet. I will now go on Blu ray hiatus and just enjoy the performance the PS3 gives me. I did not plan to get any games since I already own the 360 Elite but I will probably pick up Gran Turismo Prologue and MGS4 when it hits... Why not? Here are a few pics:

As a "fanboy" and owner of two PS3's this is great to hear it can indeed work well into a high end and or dedicated HT setup. Who would have thought even a year ago that the a ("game machine") PS3 could do this much, go this far and compete with and even surpass players costing more than double? I thought it was a good machine and knew it wasn't a crappy PS2 DVD player, but didn't realize then what I am now realizing and enjoying.

I am really impressed with how your acceptance and perception of the PS3 has changed and wish how it could for anyone.

Enjoy Joe.
post #17015 of 32100 Old 04-17-2008, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grommet View Post

podaman,

Automatic will attempt to sense the HDMI audio capabilities of your receiver. If you do see 7.1 listed, I'd use manual and remove them. Since, in theory, it should help the decoders. (See next.)

For TrueHD & DTS-HD MA, a 7.1/6.1 encode also has the ability to output formal 5.1 and Stereo mixes. If your PS3 knows you have a 5.1 environment, it should decode a true 5.1 mix as intended by the mixer. (This assumes the PS3 is doing it's job correctly.) This is one nice advantage Lossless has over PCM.

For 7.1 PCM, you'll get whatever Sony decided to do to downmix to 5.1 or stereo. It's likely they mix it in somehow, but the true process is not documented. (There is no industry standard.)

For your Onkyo question, if you send decoded 7.1 PCM content to it: You'll experience whatever Onkyo designed for downmix to 5.1. It's also likely mixed in, like my previous PS3 downmix comment. It might be documented in your manual, if you are lucky.

Thanks grommet, well said. I have unchecked the options as you suggested.

However, this still appears to be a grey area. Allow me to summarize the situation:

-a 7.1 source* (either TrueHD, DTS-HD MA, or PCM, as they all output as 7.1 PCM)
-a 7.1 receiver (with Surround Backs disabled)
-a 5.1 speaker set-up

How does one avoid completely losing the Surround Back channels?

I see two possible solutions, either:

a) Uncheck all Linear PCM 7.1 Ch. options on the PS3, thus trusting the PS3 to properly downmix the Surround Back channels into the Surround channels.

or

b) Check all Linear PCM 7.1 Ch. options on the PS3 (leave in Automatic), thus trusting the 7.1 receiver to properly downmix the Surround Back channels into the Surround channels.

What's best? Is there a difference? Perhaps the answer is on a per-receiver basis. What have you experienced?

The best way to find out would be to test both methods a) and b) with a 7.1 channel test tone source, that plays a single channel at a time. Then, it would become apparent whether channels are being mixed or lost, in either the PS3 (decoder/mixer) or the receiver (mixer).

*a 7.1 source that is properly working with the PS3, such as Doctor Strange or Oldboy.
post #17016 of 32100 Old 04-17-2008, 01:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 53
The main question is, does the PS3 properly downmix 7.1 to 5.1 without losing any of the audio content?
post #17017 of 32100 Old 04-17-2008, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammysan View Post

Agreed. That thread is getting overrun with so many "Dude, the difference is like night and day..." or "it's like hearing a totally different movie...!!!" comments it's becoming unbearable. Especially when the comments are about an DTS-HD MA soundtrack whose variable bit rates are between 2.5 to 3.5 Mbps comparted to the "crappy" 1.5 fixed bit rate core. A lot of guys simply watching the bit rate meter fluctuating up and down as well, as if that's really any indication of the quality of the soundtrack. Oh well, it's entertaining to read through at least.

agreed... very entertaining
post #17018 of 32100 Old 04-17-2008, 05:49 AM

> The main question is, does the PS3 properly downmix 7.1 to 5.1 without losing any of the audio content?

I'm interested in an answer to this too- I will soon have a 5.1 system. Thanks!
post #17019 of 32100 Old 04-17-2008, 06:37 AM

Liked: 11
Since some people are asking about games I will give my view as a 50yo with two kids, two PS3 and many of the games.

First I am more into battle and role play games than sports so I can't comment so much on Tiger Woods, NBA or MLB although I have played all of them and they look good. Also I've gone on-line a few times but I don't have the reaction times most of the players have and end up dead a lot!

Resistance Fall of Man - very nice game if you like shooters, has co-op mode which is fun for me because I can play with the kids. Completed game

Call OF Duty 4 - Probably the best shooter game for the PS3, on-line is spectacular as well. The graphics are great and the sound is intense, really draws you into combat. Completed game

Drakes Fortune - a good role play + shooter, great fun, good graphics and sound. Completed game

Assassin Creed - role play, great graphics but gets extremely repetitious after the first level. Did not finish.

Orange Box - if you like old fashion FPS games this is for you. Very long, I did not play my son loved it though

Army of Two - playing this through on professional mode now. The single player mode is difficult since you have to control two characters. The co-op is pretty fun, the game ends weakly though. Similar but less intense than COD4. Completed game

Ninja Gaiden Sigma - excellent graphics and a fun play, role playing with swords. Completed game

Lair - mediocre, you had to fly the dragon using motion sensing which was a real pain, now they issued a patch that allows you to use the controls.

I probably play 4 hours of game play and 4 hours of BDs a week. Both are great because I can do it with my kids. If I had to pick just two games to own I would suggest COD4 and Drakes Fortune.

Have fun

Ray

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large
post #17020 of 32100 Old 04-17-2008, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammysan View Post

Other than asthetics, it depends on if you want the receiver to do the decoding (in that case, the BD-30 is for you as long as the receiver is capable) or if you don't mind internal decoding within the player (in that case, the PS3). I for one have both, but will sell the BD-30 when the new PS3's become available, if for no other reason than the superior start up/load times and near instant responsiveness of the PS3. Not to mention it's BD Profile 2.0 compatibility.

What do you mean by "when the new PS3's become available"?
post #17021 of 32100 Old 04-17-2008, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

I'd be buying it for BD, but I like games, too. I think COD4 is a given for me. Has anyone played Splinter Cell Double Agent? The original (and sequels to a lesser extent) I played on my XBox (never had a 360) are my favorite games ever.

Jack Gilvey
SVS Customer Service

post #17022 of 32100 Old 04-17-2008, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnkflyd51 View Post

> The main question is, does the PS3 properly downmix 7.1 to 5.1 without losing any of the audio content?

I'm interested in an answer to this too- I will soon have a 5.1 system. Thanks!

This is a big question for those of us with a 5.1 system. I'll try to do some experimenting later today with my setup.
post #17023 of 32100 Old 04-17-2008, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdmann View Post

What do you mean by "when the new PS3's become available"?

The 80GB PS3s will be available again in June. In addition to having the bigger hard drive, they will also include:

- backward compatibility with PS2 titles
- Dualshock 3 wireless controller
- Metal Gear Solid 4

I'm not sure if there will be any changes relevant to Blu-Ray or audio playback. (Anyone?)

See here: http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...14691233368166

Ken
post #17024 of 32100 Old 04-17-2008, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcoakley View Post

The 80GB PS3s will be available again in June. In addition to having the bigger hard drive, they will also include:

- Metal Gear Solid 4

I'm not sure if there will be any changes relevant to Blu-Ray or audio playback. (Anyone?)

See here: http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...14691233368166

Ken

Thanks, I did see that, I was hoping you or someone had some more information, like - they do support bitstreaming.

I sent this question to SONY yesterday and am awaiting a reply.
post #17025 of 32100 Old 04-17-2008, 08:55 AM

What is the general consensus regarding the PS Soft Pic setting in the PS3s video settings? Is it better on or off?
post #17026 of 32100 Old 04-17-2008, 08:58 AM

hmm, found this out there as well as mentions of blue and grey.

http://ps3.qj.net/GameStop-has-new-P.../49/aid/114894

no mention of other changes besides color...
post #17027 of 32100 Old 04-17-2008, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi!

A friend of mine is looking to upgrade is AVR for something that is compatible with the ps3 LPCM. He would like to stay with Yamaha but i'm not familiar with that brand and products line. Anybody here know a model from Yamaha that is similar in performance than the sony 810 or the onkyo 605 and process lpcm from its hdmi connection and isn't just a passthrough?
post #17028 of 32100 Old 04-17-2008, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

I just bought a PS3 mainly for as a Bluray player. I have a couple of questions, I tried to search on here for answers but came up empty... I'm sure I'm not the only one with these problems, and the answers are sure to be in this thread... but at 17,000 posts I hope you all can forgive me for not reading all the way through it!!!

Our PS3 is set up as follows: Connected by HDMI to a Panasonic AE900U projector, and by optical toslink to a Harmon Kardon AVR (too old to have HDMI inputs). The projector is 720p native, but does accept 1080p/24 and downscales it to 720p/24. It looks pretty nice when it does. 1080p/24 HD-DVDs (A35) and Blurays look great, at least until I can upgrade to a real 1080p projector.

Last night we rented No Country for Old Men on Bluray. Here is where my questions are:

1. The movie looked excellent, however we noticed that during the opening credits, the white captions over the movie looked "bitmappy" blocky white edges. I'd seen this before watching HD-DVD's and assumed that it was an artifact of the downscale in the projector to 720p - but it is more pronounced playing Blurays on the PS3. This is only noticeable on static captions, the scrolling movie credits looks fine. Is there a way to lessen this, or is it normal / caused by my equipment?

2a. The special features looked terrible! I know they are stored at 480p, and that's okay, it's how the PS3 was outputting them that is the problem. Firstly it's making no attempt to upscale them - the projector was reporting a 480p signal. Is this normal? I would think the PS3 would try to upscale them to at least 720p, if not 1080p.

2b. The aspect ratio of the special features was wrong. It seemed that they were stored on the disk as 480p 4:3. But it was stretching them to fill the 16:9 screen. Also there were bad artifacts, that looked like incorrect deinterlacing... This was especially obvious on any text displayed on the screen.

I tried adjusting various settings on the PS3, all to no avail. I tried changing the DVD upscaling to each option as I thought maybe the PS3 was treating the special features as DVD's. But it looked the same on each option. I did the display set up again, I tried it as both automatic, and then manually, I even tried a manual set up where the only check boxes were for 480p (can't uncheck it) and 720p. I read through the entire online manual for all bluray and display sections, no answers there!

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

- Rick
post #17029 of 32100 Old 04-17-2008, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferax View Post

Hi!

A friend of mine is looking to upgrade is AVR for something that is compatible with the ps3 LPCM. He would like to stay with Yamaha but i'm not familiar with that brand and products line. Anybody here know a model from Yamaha that is similar in performance than the sony 810 or the onkyo 605 and process lpcm from its hdmi connection and isn't just a passthrough?

Yamaha RX-V663
post #17030 of 32100 Old 04-17-2008, 10:53 AM

Quote:

Hi!

Go to the thread below Ron has shown a good link to someone that has started a post on HDMI Receivers and their capabilities.

ALL POSTERS GO TO THIS THREAD AND ADD YOUR RECEIVER IF IT IS NOT ALREADY THERE.

[quote=Ron Jones;13655557]For those of you that frequent this thread I have posted an update under Post #1 on the PS3 Firmware Version 2.3x - Master Thread

Actual thread:http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=943558

Thanks Ron
post #17031 of 32100 Old 04-17-2008, 12:16 PM

I know this probably isn't the right place to post, but I don't have time to find the appropriate thread. Can anyone tell me, if they know how to fix the date and time on Grand Turismo 5 Prologue, evertime I start up the game it tells me that my date and time are wrong, the time on the PS3 is correct I have double checked however GT5 displays April 4th when it is in fact april 16th, I can't seem to find anywhere in the menu where you can change it???
post #17032 of 32100 Old 04-17-2008, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabrit View Post

I know this probably isn't the right place to post, but I don't have time to find the appropriate thread. Can anyone tell me, if they know how to fix the date and time on Grand Turismo 5 Prologue, evertime I start up the game it tells me that my date and time are wrong, the time on the PS3 is correct I have double checked however GT5 displays April 4th when it is in fact april 16th, I can't seem to find anywhere in the menu where you can change it???

If i'm not mistaken, the date/time on the GT5 calender isn't the real date/time. In Gran Turismo days go by based on how much you play the game. For example if you purchase a car, usually a day goes by instantaneously. If you enter a race, when you're done with the race another day will have passed.

Now, maybe this year they changed it, but I doubt it. Also, I got the same message as you did and I had to reset the daylight savings time on my PS3 and then use the internet to set the PS3 clock in the menu settings. I think that may have fixed it.

See this thread for more GT5:P discussion: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1004668

Brandon
post #17033 of 32100 Old 04-17-2008, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:

I guess that is where I am not educated. What is the difference where the sound is decoded. Is my Yamaha new enough to do this. The manual says HDMI 1.2
Thanks again for your response. I actually like the looks of the PS3 I wonder of the heat it is said to throw off. Will it be ok on top of my cable box? That is where it most go..
I guess it does not matter to me as I can get them both for the same price. I just want to make the right choice and be done with it. Oh yeah, Using a sammy 50" plasma 2 years old. 720p

If your cable box is anything like my Comcast HD DVR, I wouldn't put anything on top of it at all. It runs hot even when it's off. You don't want to block the vents on top or you could overheat it.
post #17034 of 32100 Old 04-17-2008, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bplewis24 View Post

Now, maybe this year they changed it, but I doubt it. Also, I got the same message as you did and I had to reset the daylight savings time on my PS3 and then use the internet to set the PS3 clock in the menu settings. I think that may have fixed it.

It's changed. Yesterday after fixing my PS3 clock and DST setting, the calendar in GT5 read 4/16 with the correct time, today it reads 4/17.

Pics from my TV here and here.
post #17035 of 32100 Old 04-17-2008, 06:53 PM

I'm sure this is a noob question so please go easy.

Just got my PS3 (40gb) and new receiver (Yamaha 663). With the update now available to support DTS-MA HD I want to take advantage of it since my receiver will support it. My question is about cable set-up. I would like to be able to use the PS3 two ways since its my only BD player. I would like to be able to have it so audio will be through the receiver for when I want to use the 5.1 set-up, but would also like to be able to just watch and play movies and not use the receiver and 5.1 surround, just have it playing through the plasmas speakers...say for late night watching when can not play the HT loud or if we just want to pop in movie to get our daughter busy etc

I understand how it must be setup for the HT use. PS3 hdmi to receiver in > receiver hdmi out to plasma (is hdmi really the best way to go?)

But how about the other? Just use another HDMI from PS3 straight to plasma on a different input? Or have to break it up with a optical and or components? Which cables should I use for the best results to take full advantage of each with the new updates?
post #17036 of 32100 Old 04-17-2008, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcoakley View Post

- Metal Gear Solid 4

Ken

Hmmm. wireless siraxis controller, larger hard drive, compatibility with PS2, an included game. All for only $100 more? Something tells me the 40 GB unit may be getting a ~$50 price drop when this new 80 GB arrives.
post #17037 of 32100 Old 04-17-2008, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinjs123 View Post

I'm sure this is a noob question so please go easy.

Just got my PS3 (40gb) and new receiver (Yamaha 663). With the update now available to support DTS-MA HD I want to take advantage of it since my receiver will support it. My question is about cable set-up. I would like to be able to use the PS3 two ways since its my only BD player. I would like to be able to have it so audio will be through the receiver for when I want to use the 5.1 set-up, but would also like to be able to just watch and play movies and not use the receiver and 5.1 surround, just have it playing through the plasmas speakers...say for late night watching when can not play the HT loud or if we just want to pop in movie to get our daughter busy etc

I understand how it must be setup for the HT use. PS3 hdmi to receiver in > receiver hdmi out to plasma (is hdmi really the best way to go?)

But how about the other? Just use another HDMI from PS3 straight to plasma on a different input? Or have to break it up with a optical and or components? Which cables should I use for the best results to take full advantage of each with the new updates?

HDMI is the best way to go, yes.

Unfortunately, the PS3 does not reliably support using two audio connections simultaneously. So if you want to have both your receiver (use HDMI) and your TV (use optical or analog stereo, it hardly matters) connected, you will have to manually go into the PS3's settings and switch the audio output each time.

A PITA, for sure. You might just want to explore your receiver's "night mode" or equivalent, and get a universal remote that can set up the whole system with one command.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #17038 of 32100 Old 04-17-2008, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnkflyd51 View Post

Hmmm. wireless siraxis controller, larger hard drive, compatibility with PS2, an included game. All for only $100 more? Something tells me the 40 GB unit may be getting a ~$50 price drop when this new 80 GB arrives.

Or the 40GB will get a new bundle with the new controller and a game or movie.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #17039 of 32100 Old 04-17-2008, 10:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by t4t3r View Post

Yamaha RX-V663

Quote:

Hi!

Yamaha makes a really nice AVR. The New 663 looks to have some great specs, but you can probably find a really nice deal on the Yamaha RX-V661 right now. The 661 is "only" HDMI 1.2, but that's fine for a PS3, it will handle multi-channel audio over LPCM just fine. The Onkyo 605 is a popular and affordable choice, I have one, and has the added benefit of also being able to process bitstreamed TrueHD and DTS-MA over HDMI. But, if you friend likes Yamaha, the 661 would be a GREAT choice, especially since it is being blown out for the new 663...
post #17040 of 32100 Old 04-17-2008, 10:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Not that it matters but...
I just set up my PS3 tonight and I am very impressed.
The menu system is a bit wonky but no big deal.
Did the 2.30 update. Simple Simon. More CE companies, no all CE companies should take a page out of Sony's book in this.
The BlueTooth remote is sweet. No aiming.
I don't know why some people make reference to the PS3 being noisy. That is absolutely false.
I have a dedicated HT room that has a super low noise floor and the PS3 is unobtrusive.
I'm in the process of watching Sunshine. Nice soundtrack.
First impression is that the PS3 is an excellent piece of gear and a steal at $299.

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Blu Ray Players , Blu Ray Movies , Sony , Toshiba , Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page